Does Ross Martin have a shot at beating out Chandler Catanzaro as Jets kicker?

Gas2No99

Does Ross Martin have a shot at beating out Chandler Catanzaro as Jets kicker?

ross-martin-art.jpg

FLORHAM PARK -- Forget the quarterback competition between Josh McCownBryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg. You've got a kicking battle to focus on, Jets fans.

And just like those guys tossing the football, it's anyone's game, according to special teams coordinator Brant Boyer. 

"It's a wide open kicking competition, as far as I'm concerned," he said.

The two in the running are Ross Martin, an undrafted free agent who spent last summer with the Jets, and Chandler Catanzaro, a fourth-year pro who has played his entire career with the Cardinals. There are positives and negatives to both. 

Starting with Martin, there's a ton of upside. Early in camp last year, he looked like a candidate to beat out veteran Nick Folk. He has a cannon for a leg, and made near every one of his kicks in practice.

MAR708125.png

Things fell apart for him when the preseason rolled around. He went 4-for-6 on field goals, including a 55-yarder, but missed an extra point, too. He was wildly inconsistent.

In his first two seasons, Catanzaro was one of the better kickers in the league.

Denver+Broncos+v+Arizona+Cardinals+Lh9za

He connected on 57 of 64 kicks (89 percent) with a long of 51 yards. Last year, though,  the-roots-things-fall-apart-lp.jpg .

He missed an alarming seven field goals and four extra points. 

Some of Catanzaro's struggles can be explained: He dealt with three different long snappers throughout the year. Still, the Cardinals didn't tender him, or make an effort to re-sign him in free agency. He signed a one-year, $900,000 contract with the Jets on March 10.

"I think they both have competed very well," Boyer said. "They both have done a great job since they've been here and they're both very comparable. Ross has really improved his kickoff leg since last year and I know how hard he has been working.

"I think they've done a great job and the tell all is going to be when they get in the games, just like everybody else."

Archived