3 - way QB battle : Legit competition or charade ? ? ?

kelly

Our New York Jets question of the week focuses on -- what else? -- the quarterback position.

@RichCimini Do you buy Bowles saying that the QB battle will really be an "open competition" ? #jetsmail

@RichCimini : Yes and no. Allow me to explain.

Technically, yes, it's an open competition because you have three quarterbacks taking an equal amount of practice reps, and that's the way it should be. There's no incumbent and no one whose credentials demand that he start, so coach Todd Bowles is doing the right thing by trying to sell everyone that it's open. Plus, it's good for the team. After last season's disaster, the more competition, the better.

Now let's talk reality.

We all know how this will turn out, and I think the Jets do, too: Josh McCown will prevail over Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty. McCown doesn't have a glittering résumé, but he knows how to manage a game, and the two young quarterbacks aren't there yet. Some people might call it a charade. I don't know if I'd go that far, only because McCown will be 38 and has lost 20 of his past 22 starts, but I'd install him as a heavy favorite.

Here's how I see it playing out:

By the end of minicamp in mid-June, McCown will be the clear-cut front-runner. The depth chart at the start of training camp will be McCown, Hackenberg and Petty, in that order, with little separation between Hackenberg and Petty. I think Bowles must pare the competition to two by the start of camp. With practice restrictions, there's simply not enough reps to have a three-way battle. Even a two-man rotation can be cumbersome, especially when it comes to splitting playing time in preseason games.

They'll extend the competition as long as they can, giving Hackenberg some quality time in the first two preseason games to gain experience and build his confidence for down the road. In the end, Bowles will opt for the grizzled veteran because McCown gives the Jets the best chance to win. That might be unpopular among fans already thinking beyond 2017, but Bowles, on the hot seat, isn't about to turn the regular season into a 16-game preseason.

At some point, they will turn to Hackenberg. To quote Ryan Fitzpatrick, it'll be a game of musical quarterbacks. This time, they hope the right guy ends up with a chair.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69007/jets-three-way-quarterback-battle-real-competition-or-charade

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Neither petty or hack has a chance because they both stink.  McCown is the qb by default because the other 2 are not nfl caliber players.

:rolleyes:

IMG_20141119_122302.jpg   

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Don't you love it when people come to a conclusion without first SEEING the product (Hack has yet to play and Petty played behind a $hit line that always got him killed)

55 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Neither petty or hack has a chance because they both stink.  McCown is the qb by default because the other 2 are not nfl caliber players.

Most retarded post of the day.

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

:rolleyes:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Don't you love it when people come to a conclusion without first SEEING the product (Hack has yet to play and Petty played behind a $hit line that always got him killed)

Both QBs have been seen and on the available evidence, it doesn't look good for either of them. Saying that you're ignoring everything that points to them not being NFL QBs doesn't somehow mean they will be...

Starting  Josh McCown is the fast track to the Exit. He thinks scratching out a 6 Win year, with a 38 year old QB will save his ass?

The truth is no matter how will he plays, old father times got him on the clock. One year bridge QB at best, but he may Win enough to **** up the cream QB draft in 2018.

Playing this guy would be more of a long term Disaster than we can imagine. Lets see if Hack or Petty have it ? - Or we hit one of the top 3 QB's next year. Winning 5-6 Games leads to Mike Glennon has a bridge QB, who we could have signed this year,

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

Starting  Josh McCown is the fast track to the Exit. He thinks scratching out a 6 Win year, with a 38 year old QB will save his ass?

The truth is no matter how will he plays, old father times got him on the clock. One year bridge QB at best, but he may Win enough to **** up the cream QB draft in 2018.

Playing this guy would be more of a long term Disaster than we can imagine. Lets see if Hack or Petty have it ? - Or we hit one of the top 3 QB's next year. Winning 5-6 Games leads to Mike Glennon has a bridge QB, who we could have signed this year,

totally agree with this.  mccown is a one season rental.  he's not taking the jets anywhere anytime soon.  at best they'll win 8 with mccown and that would be a great season for him.  the thing is the rest of the team knows what starting mccown means.  their best play is to start hack and let the chips fall. let him win the team.  and if he plays good football the jets could surprise.

4 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I'd say Petty is an NFL Backup.  Hack shouldn't be in the nfl

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

Bowles started Fitz last season over Geno, Petty and Hack even when he  was playing horribly

He will have no problem playing McCown over Petty and Hack

totally agree with this.  mccown is a one season rental.  he's not taking the jets anywhere anytime soon.  at best they'll win 8 with mccown and that would be a great season for him.  the thing is the rest of the team knows what starting mccown means.  their best play is to start hack and let the chips fall. let him win the team.  and if he plays good football the jets could surprise.

Dude jets will be lucky to win 4 games

Sent from my SM-G950U using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Bowles isnt starting Mcnown because he thinks he can win w/ him, he is starting Mccown because the other 2 guys cannot play the position.

People wonder why the Jets spent  on McCown.  This is why.  There was enough hope not to spend 15.  

Obvious charade.  The two incumbent QBs started off as #2 and #3.  Being their usual stupid selves the Jets started Hackenburg out on the kiddies field which totally perpetuates the we whole bust mantra about him from day one.  The coaching staff are nothing but utter tools.

Even is McCown is going to be your guy they have said it will be an equal battle and they will all get reps.  A smart coach would have at least eased the new guy in and boosted the 2nd rounder.  Instead from day one they show no confidence in the player.

This is so moronic. If Hackenberg shows he knows the offense and is competent in the preseason you shove him out there week 1 period. It makes no ****ing difference how Mccown plays in the preseason/training camp its all about a referendum on Hackenberg period. Mccown is just insurance if Hackenberg shows he cant do it in training camp.

Cimini and Manish pushing out this idiotic narrative that Mccown has experience, is a grisly veteran, gives them the best chance to win and therefore he is a heavy favorite. ALL of that is irrelevant!!!! It doesn't matter if Mccown gives them a better chance to win if Hackenberg shows he can run the offense and is competent in the preseason/training camp then Hackenberg starts!!!!!!!!!!

On May 27, 2017 at 11:29 AM, jeremy2020 said:

Both QBs have been seen and on the available evidence, it doesn't look good for either of them. Saying that you're ignoring everything that points to them not being NFL QBs doesn't somehow mean they will be...

Disagree.

Petty had a paltry 4 game audition and was exposed to injury and QB "shell shock" due to HORRENDOUS - and downright NEGLIGENT (Miami Sandwich game) - Oline play. 4 games is a rather small sample size, but I acquiesce to the regime's judgement and evaluation as he enters his 3rd year at a position that (some claim) takes YEARS to master at the pro level. Coming from Baylor's sandlot offense, sincere fans KNEW he'd be 3-4 year project to, at least, be a quality back-up. The SF game Petty showed what he can be capable of. 

There has been NOTHING out or seen on Hack except for an "anonymous" Mehta source - which was most likely Patullo's parting shot knowing he was going to be canned. JN did a great breakdown on how there SEEMS to be improvement on Hack's weak points, and how Hack has dedicated himself to improving. For anyone to DECLARE Hack can't play in the NFL, at THIS point in time, is ignorant at best. If you were CORRECT all along, and Hack isn't the answer, I"ll be the first to congratulate you on your QB evaluation acumen. Heck, I'll even mail your QB draft recommendations to Florham Park 2018. :D

11 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

This is so moronic. If Hackenberg shows he knows the offense and is competent in the preseason you shove him out there week 1 period. It makes no ****ing difference how Mccown plays in the preseason/training camp its all about a referendum on Hackenberg period. Mccown is just insurance if Hackenberg shows he cant do it in training camp.

Cimini and Manish pushing out this idiotic narrative that Mccown has experience, is a grisly veteran, gives them the best chance to win and therefore he is a heavy favorite. ALL of that is irrelevant!!!! It doesn't matter if Mccown gives them a better chance to win if Hackenberg shows he can run the offense and is competent in the preseason/training camp then Hackenberg starts!!!!!!!!!!

These hacks are always 100% wrong in their predictions.  This is how they do it.

1st they make their prediction.

2nd they start using the word he is the favorite

3rd they start with terms like close competition

4th they end up with term like upset

Rinse repeat not just for this qb competition either. And nobody ever goes back and ask "didn't you all but guarantee Gannon will be next jet QB?"

Not sure why this is still in doubt.  McCown will start the season as the #1.  As soon as they're out of contention or McCown has a couple awful games back to back then they'll insert Hack.  Bowles will have learned his lesson from last year.

Unless we make a playoff run Hack will start a number of games this year but almost assuredly will NOT start the season as the #1.

Accept it.

Funny how things work out.   If macc had picked mahomes or watson in rd 1 we would accept a lousy season but would have hope.   

Instead we are all hoping for 1-15 and a shot at darnold.   

Being a fan is all about hope and right now we have about as little as we've had since '97.  

30 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Funny how things work out.   If macc had picked mahomes or watson in rd 1 we would accept a lousy season but would have hope.   

Being a fan is all about hope and right now we have about as little as we've had since '97.  

This guy gets it. 

I think the real takeaway is that the Jets think all three QBs pegged to next years early round one are far superior to Watson. So Hackenburg either succeeds or we draft a superior prospect in 2018. I don't really think it's a difficult concept to understand.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, Dunnie said:

I think the real takeaway is that the Jets think all three QBs pegged to next years early round one are far superior to Watson. So Hackenburg either succeeds or we draft a superior prospect in 2018. I don't really think it's a difficult concept to understand.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Theres always next year is what Jets fans live by. 

23 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Hope, not false hope.  We have 'hope' with Hackenburg.  If we went 1-15 and had the top pick in the draft I'd have a heck of a lot more hope than if we took a mid level QB in the 1st round this past year.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 1:23 PM, rangerous said:

What schedule do you see in which this team can win 8 games?  Maybe 2

#suckforsam

The old saying goes that the most popular player on a football team is the backup quarterback. He usually holds the allure of the unknown, a sense of hope and possibility.

That is … unless it is Christian Hackenberg.

The Jets’ second-year quarterback seems to have already been written off by many fans and media members. It is odd to see how Hackenberg is being viewed before he even throws a pass in an NFL game that counts.Typically, quarterbacks are not viewed as poor players until they actually play. It is the NFL version of innocent until proven guilty. Over the past decade, Jets fans clamored to see backup quarterbacks like Kellen Clemens, Greg McElroy and Bryce Petty play. Once they played, the love affairs died.

With Hackenberg, though, it feels like the conclusion has already been reached that he stinks and he has to prove otherwise. It started with predraft hatchet jobs on Hackenberg off of his inconsistent career at Penn State. People were eager to dismiss the success of his freshman year under Bill O’Brien and focus on the struggles he had as a sophomore and junior. Mostly lost in those analyses, though, was a look at the diminished quality of the team around him in those years thanks to NCAA sanctions and the dip in the quality of coaching he received.When the Jets took Hackenberg in the second round of the 2016 NFL Draft, the scrutiny on Hackenberg only grew. For Hackenberg, the Jets probably were one of the worst places for him to land. He joined a losing franchise with a fan base starved for a franchise quarterback and an unrelenting media spotlight. Had he landed somewhere like Seattle or Green Bay, he would have been allowed to develop without a microscope on him at all times.

Instead, he’s a Jet.

That has led to a fascination with Hackenberg that has included anonymous evaluations of him in practice last year, and then last week an anonymous critique on ESPN.com of his accuracy in warm-ups last year. The latest is a breakdown of Hackenberg’s 2016 preseason tape by Bleacher Report. Think about what we’re evaluating here. Games from nine months ago when he had three months with the team.

There is also a storyline about Hackenberg being “so bad” the Jets would not put him on the field as a rookie. But their plan was never to have him play last year. The Jets knew when they drafted him that they wanted him to hit the reset button from college and try to reverse all of the bad habits he had developed at Penn State. They also wanted him to take a break from the spotlight that had been on him since high school. It would have been a shock if Hackenberg did play in 2016. You can say the Jets should not have taken a quarterback in the second round that they thought needed a “redshirt” year. Go ahead, but that is on Jets GM Mike Maccagnan, not Hackenberg.

The critics may end up being right about Hackenberg. He might stink, but can we let him throw a pass in a game before we decide he does?

The kid (he turned 22 in February) has been a total pro since he has joined the Jets. He says the right things, carries himself the right way and this spring has been one of (if not the) first players in the building every day. This is not a player who will fail because of lack of preparation or work.The likelihood is Hackenberg will begin this season on the bench behind Josh McCown. But he will play at some point in 2017. The Jets need to figure out if he is the answer or if they are in the 2018 quarterback draft market by the end of this season.There will be plenty of practice and preseason interceptions and miscues that will be dissected between now and then. But maybe there will be some touchdowns and positive plays, too.

Give him a chance.

>     http://nypost.com/2017/05/29/christian-hackenberg-deserves-patience-from-jets-fans/

As the Jets’ quarterback battle continues to heat up, Bryce Petty’s confidence has not wavered.

Petty is looking to come out on top for the starting quarterback job over veteran Josh McCown and youngster Christian Hackenberg.

Many believe that Petty has the worst chance to win the job, but he’s not paying attention to the naysayers.“I don’t feel like No. 3. I don’t think Heck feels like No. 3. I don’t feel like Josh feels like he is No. 3,” Petty told reporters on Tuesday. “We are just trying to get better as a unit to get where we want to be this season.”

Petty went through a tough season in 2016,  but that has not hurt his confidence at all. In fact, it has done the opposite.

“I can play this game,” he reminded the media on Tuesday.

It is too early to tell who is going to be the starter. Jets coach Todd Bowles needs to see much more before making a decision.

“[Petty’s] learning the offense just like everyone else,” Bowles told NJ.com. “In the fourth practice, it’s starting to slow down for him. It’s a process. As OTAs go, you look for him to improve even more.”After getting hurt during his run as the starter last year, Petty is working hard to make sure that he gets another chance to be a starting quarterback in the NFL.

Some may see Petty as the least likely quarterback to win the job, but the competition is far from over.“How do you have an underdog?” Petty asked. “I don’t read headlines. I don’t really do things like that. I’m just focused on coming here and being better every day.”

>         http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/31/bryce-petty-confident-as-jets-wide-open-quarterback-battle-continues/

On May 28, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Pac said:

Not sure why this is still in doubt.  McCown will start the season as the #1.  As soon as they're out of contention or McCown has a couple awful games back to back then they'll insert Hack.  Bowles will have learned his lesson from last year.

Unless we make a playoff run Hack will start a number of games this year but almost assuredly will NOT start the season as the #1.

Accept it.

All reports coming from OTA's say it's not even close.  Not only is Hack still awful Petty is throwing picks to PS scrubs

Archived