Davis for Pryor Swap Makes Some Cent$ for Jets

JetNation

IMG_0297.jpg?fit=1580%2C1053

By Glenn Naughton

Today’s trade of safety Calvin Pryor to the Cleveland Browns for former Jets linebacker Demario Davis has been met with a lukewarm response from Jets fans who remember Davis’ struggles in pass coverage just a couple of seasons ago as the team’s starting linebacker alongside David Harris.

IMG_3731.jpg?resize=350%2C320

Jets former first round pick Calvin Pryor is heading to Cleveland.

Anyone who is upset by this deal should keep a few things in mind.

First and foremost, Pryor had no place on this roster.  Long before trade rumors started and the Jets drafted Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye in rounds one and two respectively of the NFL draft, we said that a Calvin Pryor could be on his way out of town, and now he is.

Then of course, Getting a little something is better than getting nothing.

According to NFL insider Adam Schefter, the Jets were ready to release Pryor outright, getting nothing in exchange for the former first round pick.

Getting Davis gives the Jets a player who, at the very worst, can compete to back up linebacker David Harris.  If he’s cut loose before then, you can file it under “cap savings” as the Jets will be able to part ways with Davis, saving $1.6 million.

In terms of personnel or roster upgrade, it’s not a lot better than a “meh” move, but in getting rid of a player like Pryor, who isn’t the best locker room presence, while saving a bit of coin in the meantime, it’s a logical move for the Jets to have made.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
BnAq_APFRgU

Click here to read the full story...

1 minute ago, LionelRichie said:

I like the fact that, similar to revis, they were going to release him even with the gauranteed $.   

Yup.  Hardly an earth-shattering move, but getting nothing vs getting a back-up ILB or $1.6 mil in cap relief in a no brainer.

pryor just was near useless on the field and off.  he had a mouth. i don't see davis as being much more than camp fodder but at least they launched pryor's cap hit.

the thing too is even though davis can't cover a te he will at least be able to spell harris if he stays.

• If the Jets cut Davis, the basically found someone to take Pryor's contract, and the Jets reap a net cap savings.
  • If the Jets keep Davis and cut Harris, although harsh they replace Harris with someone younger who they can potentially extend at a net cap savings.  i would not keep him unless he extended his contract.
  • If the Jets keep Davis and Harris, they are spending alot of money on two old LBs who can't cover who are both not under contract next year.  I can't imagine they were thinking that.
  • FWIW, the Jets have alot of players on the roster NOT under contract in 2018.   Should be interesting.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I'm confused, how did the Jets save money if Davis is actually more expensive? 

I don't see Davis being released this  year. He has way too much experience as a starter to be released while here as just a backup at a modest, albeit non guaranteed salary. Macc apologists think Macc hit a homerun. I actually think Harris is lost so many steps (not just "a step") in the last two years that he is now a liability on pretty much every down. He's 33 and will be nearly 34 by the end of the season. He's never been a locker room leader for being here so many years. If we cut him, his salary is non-guaranteed with ZERO cap hit. The way Macc has f***** up this salary cap situation, I would say Harris is the safest bets to be starting in green come week 1. It all depends if Demario has learned a thing or two or not. If Demario fails, he'll be released, saving us his $3.7 mil. If we keep Davis ADN Harris, the trade would cost the Jets $2.1 mil in net cap. One of the two LBs would have to take the fall for this trade to be successful. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

But Davis makes more money than Pryor. 

If both / either was going to be cut, then Pryor would have a cap hit due to his guaranteed money, but Davis would not.  So that would save money.

If Davis *isn't* cut, then yes, he will cost more than Pryor.

Though given that he's cuttable - isn't renegotiating downward a possibility too?

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

I don't see Davis being released this  year. He has way too much experience as a starter to be released while here as just a backup at a modest, albeit non guaranteed salary. Macc apologists think Macc hit a homerun. I actually think Harris is lost so many steps (not just "a step") in the last two years that he is now a liability on pretty much every down. He's 33 and will be nearly 34 by the end of the season. He's never been a locker room leader for being here so many years. If we cut him, his salary is non-guaranteed with ZERO cap hit. The way Macc has f***** up this salary cap situation, I would say Harris is the safest bets to be starting in green come week 1. It all depends if Demario has learned a thing or two or not. If Demario fails, he'll be released, saving us his $3.7 mil. If we keep Davis ADN Harris, the trade would cost the Jets $2.1 mil in net cap. One of the two LBs would have to take the fall for this trade to be successful. 

That's the rub, I dont see them cutting Harris or Davis.  Bowles has consistently said Harris is the leader of the D.  And Davis played a lot when he was in this system back in 2015.  He's going to be here all season long and so will Harris, I suspect.  Which brings me to the point, they didnt dump a salary, they think they just got better on D by bringing Davis back.

33 minutes ago, JiF said:

That's the rub, I dont see them cutting Harris or Davis.  Bowles has consistently said Harris is the leader of the D.  And Davis played a lot when he was in this system back in 2015.  He's going to be here all season long and so will Harris, I suspect.  Which brings me to the point, they didnt dump a salary, they think they just got better on D by bringing Davis back.

So much for the rebuild then.  Bowles is playing for his job this year.

18 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Good job by Mac. There goes another waste of a first round pick, again. But at the very least, they bought themselves some insurance on Harris on the cheap.

It was a wasted draft pick. Rex liked him because he had the nickname "Louisville Slugger" which he never lived up to at the pro level. At least Davis can tackle and may be useful as a backup to Harris. Pryor was useless in ANY role.

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The move is panned just because of the player we got back.  If it was Joe Schmidlap coming back there would be few beefs.  It's just the optics of a guy we let go and who was not good and now we have him back.

Joe Schmidlap is a Canadian d**shbag , ehh ... F that hoser !!!!

Archived