Quincy Enunwa sees this big change in John Morton's Jets offense

C Mart

BY DARRYL SLATER 

dslater@njadvancemedia.com

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

CARLSTADT -- The Jets are through just six of 10 organized team activities practices, but wide receiver Quincy Enunwa has already noticed a big difference in the team's offense. 

The past two seasons, under coordinator Chan Gailey, the Jets' receivers had more opportunities to freelance and change their routes than they do now under the team's new coordinator, John Morton. This is something quarterback Bryce Petty also recently mentioned. 

"Last year, we were able to kind of switch up what the route was," Enunwa told NJ Advance Media on Saturday. "You could kind of do certain things. But with this offense, you've really got to do what you're told. You've got to do exactly what is given to you. And when you do, plays are made." 

Enunwa spoke at ex-Jets and current Giants receiver Brandon Marshall's Receiver Factory youth football camp, held at Capelli Sport Center. 

Enunwa -- who is the Jets' No. 2 receiver, behind Eric Decker -- likes what he sees from Morton's offense. It likely will have lots of West Coast schematic tendencies, considering Morton's background. 

"I love it so far," Enunwa said. "I think it's a good opportunity for guys to get the ball and make plays. It's also a great opportunity for us to not get as many turnovers. It's really predicated to getting the ball out fast. There are many audibles to create quick throws. I think everybody is kind of buying in." 

Turnovers were a huge issue for the Jets last season, when they finished 31st in Football Outsiders' offensive DVOA ratings. The Jets ranked second in the NFL in giveaways in 2016. Only the Chargers (35) had more turnovers than the Jets' 34. The Jets led the NFL with 25 interceptions thrown, four more than the Chargers.  

This spring, Morton has constantly harped on limiting turnovers -- for good reason. 

"He preaches it almost every day -- 82 percent," Enunwa said. "You're going to win 82 percent of your games if you win the turnover battle. I think that's something that we are always keeping in the back of our minds." 

Enunwa last season had 58 catches (second on the team) for 857 yards (first) and four touchdowns (first). The former sixth-round draft pick is entering a contract year in 2017. But he said he won't play with any extra spark this season as he auditions for a new deal. 

"I've been sparked, man, since I hit the field," he said. "It doesn't change anything." 

The Jets this week conclude OTAs with four practices. Next week, they will have three mandatory minicamp practices. Those are their final practices until they report to training camp on July 28. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/06/quincy_enunwa_sees_this_big_change_in_john_mortons.html

"The past two seasons, under coordinator Chan Gailey, the Jets' receivers had more opportunities to freelance and change their routes than they do now under the team's new coordinator, John Morton. This is something quarterback Bryce Petty also recently mentioned. 

"Last year, we were able to kind of switch up what the route was," Enunwa told NJ Advance Media on Saturday. "You could kind of do certain things. But with this offense, you've really got to do what you're told. You've got to do exactly what is given to you. And when you do, plays are made." 

Interesting.

29 minutes ago, C Mart said:

"The past two seasons, under coordinator Chan Gailey, the Jets' receivers had more opportunities to freelance and change their routes than they do now under the team's new coordinator, John Morton. This is something quarterback Bryce Petty also recently mentioned. 

Interesting.

When Ryan Fitzpatrick was here that 1st year, plays were made and everyone was happy . When he came back for his 2nd year, plays were few and far between and everyone was unhappy . It's quite simple, when the Jets have a QB who can make plays, they win games that most say they can't . When the Jets don't have a QB who's making plays, they lose games in heart breaking fashion .  When the Jets have no QB and their defense doesn't play well, they lose games badly .

This coming season, we will see what we have .

41 minutes ago, C Mart said:

"You're going to win 82 percent of your games if you win the turnover battle. I think that's something that we are always keeping in the back of our minds." 

This ^^^^

Is why the Patriots were deflating footballs, btw. Not so that Brady could be "better" than he is. It was so that they didn't turn the ball over. Over a years worth of debate/discussion throughout media on "deflategate" and the most obvious motive was never put at the center of it. It was always centered around the idea that Brady "needed" it, and thus Brady "proved" they didn't do it this year - because he played great under the microscope. 

Never about Brady, but I digress... 

38 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Interesting.

whowut.gif

Seriously? Holy effing sh*t... 

I actually think it is somewhat interesting. I would assume that simplifying and reducing the option routes would make it easier for Hackenberg and, particularly, Petty to grasp the offense.  An attempt to level the playing field compared to 47 year vet McCown, maybe? 

Hackenberg is supposedly Mr. Pro Style Offense, so I don't see how much this will help him, but it probably will work wonders (probably not enough) to slow the game down for Petty. 

How do the Jets always end up in these situations. Freelance a route and do what you want? Dafuk?

It's pretty pathetic that we're reading if you stick to the play and do as was called, success will come. Crazy concept. 

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

How do the Jets always end up in these situations. Freelance a route and do what you want? Dafuk?

It's pretty pathetic that we're reading if you stick to the play and do as was called, success will come. Crazy concept. 

sounds like lazy coaching to me and kinda backs up narrative that neither Petty or Hack got any coaching last year.

The Chan Gailey style route combinations is not that big of a deal if both the QB and receiver see the same thing and make the same adjustment .  It's always easy to kick a guy after he's gone if someone give you something you can run with . I find it humorous how nobody was kicking Gailey in 2016, but he's a fool in 2017 .  Same offense, except the trigger man didn't get away with the junk he got away with the prior year .  

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The Chan Gailey style route combinations is not that big of a deal if both the QB and receiver see the same thing and make the same adjustment .  It's always easy to kick a guy after he's gone if someone give you something you can run with . I find it humorous how nobody was kicking Gailey in 2016, but he's a fool in 2017 .  Same offense, except the trigger man didn't get away with the junk he got away with the prior year .  

It's not a terrible thing but you'd think with a group of young WR's you'd hold off on something like that. We don't exactly have Manning throwing to Harrison out there.

2 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

sounds like lazy coaching to me and kinda backs up narrative that neither Petty or Hack got any coaching last year.

Option routes are lazy coaching now?  Are you kidding?  They are staple of just about every offense.  If anything taking them away seems more lazy and simplistic, but "Let's blame the coach!"  Can't be the players - including a QB who has sucked with close to a dozen coaches.

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

Also what's holding back Enunwa from being a No. 1 type WR? I think he can easily be more productive then Decker.

You are sleeping on Decker.  Enunwa seems solid, but last year was his best and he still averaged 10 less yards per game than Decker has in any year since 2011.  He's had exactly one 100 yard game in a 3 year career. Hopefully he continues to improve, but it isn't likely he will reach Decker's level.  More likely Decker drops off. 

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

It's not a terrible thing but you'd think with a group of young WR's you'd hold off on something like that. We don't exactly have Manning throwing to Harrison out there.

What young WRs?  Marshall is ancient, Decker has been around a long time.  Enunwa was in his 3rd year.  When do you take the training wheels off?  The year before they retire?

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Option routes are lazy coaching now?  Are you kidding?  They are staple of just about every option.  If anything taking them away seems more lazy and simplistic, but "Let's blame the coach!"  Can't be the players - including a QB who has sucked with close to a dozen coaches.

You are sleeping on Decker.  Enunwa seems solid, but last year was his best and he still averaged 10 less yards per game than Decker has in any year since 2011.  He's had exactly one 100 yard game in a 3 year career. Hopefully he continues to improve, but it isn't likely he will reach Decker's level.  More likely Decker drops off. 

What young WRs?  Marshall is ancient, Decker has been around a long time.  Enunwa was in his 3rd year.  When do you take the training wheels off?  The year before they retire?

Not sleeping on Decker, more so I just think Enunwa has all the tools to have a pretty damn good season. He's gotta improve his route running but tall, fast, creates yac, i'm excited to see how he continues to develop. 

I meant it as, isn't that something that develops over a ton of time together? 

17 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

How dare you.

Oops.  Sorry.  <sheepish grin>

5 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Not sleeping on Decker, more so I just think Enunwa has all the tools to have a pretty damn good season. He's gotta improve his route running but tall, fast, creates yac, i'm excited to see how he continues to develop. 

I meant it as, isn't that something that develops over a ton of time together? 

I like Enunwa too, but he has been a surprise so far.  I think the new offense probably will suit him because it looks like they are aiming to get YAC and he seems like somebody that can provide.  My limited view of Stewart is similar. 

It is the NFL.  You don't have time to develop sh*t.  These guys have been playing their whole lives.  I taught option routes to 16 year old Italians who had played nothing but soccer until that spring.  Communication and timing are great, but the NFL is a NOW business. 

Sounds like an encouraging report. Gailey's ultra-conservative offense, coupled with a weak arm QB (no deep threat) and NOT using players to their strengths, (Forte in the flats on 3rd downs for one, Not using TE's for another) made for a crappy Offense. Not to mention a low performance O-Line. It won't take much to be better than last year's dismal results. 

There is a difference between free lancing and having the trust to adjust patterns.  Both ways can work.  If you have a lot of trust between a Qb and the WR and they have played together long enough the Wr can adjust his pattern to take into account the coverage.

Re Enumwa, I like the guy but I feel a lot of people and maybe the player himself will be in a for a surprise when he has to go up against teams best cover DBs, and the other team schemes for him.  If you are a #1 Wr or even a high #2 you have a lot tougher of a job than if you are a #3.

Agree this is interesting, but it is still surprising how 14 and 15 got so out of sync, I can see how a full camp would have helped but it was shockingly bad last year, wasted season 

There was excitement after Mo and Fitz were signed at the begining of last season, not even a year later both contracts look very bad and there is little excitement...

22 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Guys option routes are a common part of football and when smart players take advantage of them it gives him a huge edge on the defense. The fact that our QBs and WRs couldn't run them without turning the ball over 34 times is on them...

I was about to say, that's a pretty common tactic for an NFL offense to use. It complicates things a bit more but if you're a QB with experience or a Wideout with good instincts it could be a liberating tool for you to use in a pinch.

Not worth it with two young QB's with less than a year's experience though. Lets not complicate things for a bit; these are the plays we have, these are where the players are going during these plays, this is what this defense does against offenses- make a decision.

The "new" offense always seems better than the old. I guarantee option rights are still part of the new offense, maybe just not as common as in Gaileys. My concern is that on paper neither Hack nor Petty seem like the quick slant/bubble screen type of QB but we will see,

It likely will have lots of West Coast schematic tendencies, considering Morton's background

I'm not as pessimistic as most posters here, but I'm wondering how we will run any offense that resembles a WCO without an accurate QB. This could get ugly. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Option routes are lazy coaching now?  Are you kidding?  They are staple of just about every option.  If anything taking them away seems more lazy and simplistic, but "Let's blame the coach!"  Can't be the players - including a QB who has sucked with close to a dozen coaches.

sometime dishes get washed right after a meal, sometimes dishes get washed couple times a day, sometimes dishes get washed every other day, sometimes dishes start growing green sh*t.

staple can have many levels depends on you level of assessment and effort

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

I've heard Boomer Eaison say Kevin Gilbride's system was the same. WR makes a determination at the top of the route whether to go in or out based on the coverage. So if QB & WR see something different it leads to incompletions/INTs

Johny Morton messing up correlation with causation. 82% of the time the team that wins happen to also win the turnover battle because the other team is behind throwing the ball taking more risks trying to come back. This dolt repeating this drum every second just serves to make the QB tentative in his throws terrified of a turnover.

I for one, am very excited about this Football news.  I think John Morton is going to be a huge upgrade over Gailey.  Even when the offense was good that 1 season, Gailey still frustrated the sh*t out of me with this play calling.  How he handled Bryce Petty's debut was criminal. 

5 hours ago, C Mart said:

Interesting.

I too think that it is very interesting.

Chan's system seems great when things are clicking but obviously very problematic when things are off because they can go sideways extremely fast in his system.  

Chan hand no way to limit the dumb plays and when folks were not on the same page; and became somewhat predictable with his packages and play calling that even mystified the players as evidenced by many of their recent comments.

Thanks for posting such a wonderful article!!!

54 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Johny Morton messing up correlation with causation. 82% of the time the team that wins happen to also win the turnover battle because the other team is behind throwing the ball taking more risks trying to come back. This dolt repeating this drum every second just serves to make the QB tentative in his throws terrified of a turnover.

And you know this how?

So now we're complaining about focusing on limiting turnovers..

20 minutes ago, C Mart said:

And you know this how?

So now we're complaining about focusing on limiting turnovers..

Yes putting to much focus repeatedly on turnovers is bad and is a bad foreshadowing of whats to come. Morton opened his first press conference talking about turnovers and now this BS. Teams that are trailing in the 4th quarter turnover the ball just look at Fitzpatric last year vast majority of his int's were at the end of the game trying to come back. Are you not concerned about your offensive coordinator not understanding this 82% statistic is a result of losing and not the sole cause of it?

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

I too think that it is very interesting.

Chan's system seems great when things are clicking but obviously very problematic when things are off because they can go sideways extremely fast in his system.  

Chan hand no way to limit the dumb plays and when folks were not on the same page; and became somewhat predictable with his packages and play calling that even mystified the players as evidenced by many of their recent comments.

Thanks for posting such a wonderful article!!!

Gailey's offense is based on the Erhart Perkins system, as is the Patriots offense. It works great if the other team doesn't know what your keys are. Like the Pats, you need to constantly adjust to what the other team is keying. Maybe use their own knowledge to set them up. 

What you cannot do, Once they figure you out is get stuck on you first read based off pre snap. 

The West coast is more precise timing but also needs to be changed up to keep the defense guessing. Your coach really needs to be able to figure out what you are keying on and use that information to burn you. Then it forces the other team to stop guessing and play safe. This is what Belichick does. Teams basically out think themselves playing against the Pats. Teams do not out think themselves playing us. Hell we don't even out think ourselves. 

Archived