Quincy Enunwa sees this big change in John Morton's Jets offense

C Mart

7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

This ^^^^

Is why the Patriots were deflating footballs, btw. Not so that Brady could be "better" than he is. It was so that they didn't turn the ball over. Over a years worth of debate/discussion throughout media on "deflategate" and the most obvious motive was never put at the center of it. It was always centered around the idea that Brady "needed" it, and thus Brady "proved" they didn't do it this year - because he played great under the microscope. 

Never about Brady, but I digress... 

1000% NE fumble rate was ridiculously low.

8 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

This ^^^^

Is why the Patriots were deflating footballs, btw. Not so that Brady could be "better" than he is. It was so that they didn't turn the ball over. Over a years worth of debate/discussion throughout media on "deflategate" and the most obvious motive was never put at the center of it. It was always centered around the idea that Brady "needed" it, and thus Brady "proved" they didn't do it this year - because he played great under the microscope. 

Never about Brady, but I digress... 

it almost never made sense that a qb would want to throw a softer ball, however, a softer ball is easier for the back to hold onto and can't be punched out as easily. the bottom line is the patsies cheated and the talking heads really couldn't figure it out.  hence espn is going south.

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Option routes are lazy coaching now?  Are you kidding?  They are staple of just about every offense.  If anything taking them away seems more lazy and simplistic, but "Let's blame the coach!"  Can't be the players - including a QB who has sucked with close to a dozen coaches.

You are sleeping on Decker.  Enunwa seems solid, but last year was his best and he still averaged 10 less yards per game than Decker has in any year since 2011.  He's had exactly one 100 yard game in a 3 year career. Hopefully he continues to improve, but it isn't likely he will reach Decker's level.  More likely Decker drops off. 

What young WRs?  Marshall is ancient, Decker has been around a long time.  Enunwa was in his 3rd year.  When do you take the training wheels off?  The year before they retire?

what it also means is mashall was playing pretty bad.  he only caught around 50% and he and fitz were supposed to be in synch.  imo the jets have a pretty young receiving corp and they will need to walk before they can run.  i don't mind the return to set routes because they all have something to learn.

The good news is that we apparently have been going at a faster pace.  I thought it was something that we desperately needed, because while Gailey ran a spread offense, he didn't run a quick offense with Fitz.  So many times, we would get to the line and see Fitz call out signals, point and dance, then literally wait for the defense to adjust, and then snap the play.  We rarely caught teams off-guard because we just didn't speed it up often, allowing for defenses to make substitutions and audibles.  We see a team like the Patriots, and if they catch you in a bad personnel group, they kill you with the hurry up offense without allowing you to sub in player.  We rarely did that.  

The bad news, I like more option for receivers.  In fact, I think it's the greatest reason why the Pats offense is as successful as they are.  They run a dual read system (it seems to me) where you make a read at the line, call audible, but the receivers have a secondary read during the play.  If they see zone or a certain coverage, there is a built in silent audible like a hot read, instead of just going on with the route.  I think it's why you see Brady yelling and screaming a lot, because the receiver didn't make the correct read.  It's also why everyone says their system takes a lot longer to master, and they don't need stars to be successful.  I don't like the idea of going against something like that, and I sort of wish we installed a similar system.   

I hope we employ more hurry up offenses, instead of the old slow one that we are used to.  We don't have quite the talent to just match up one on one with guys.  One thing I did notice about Hackenberg during the scouting report, he does well in taking advantage of certain situations.  Quick snaps to get too many men on the field penalties and free plays, hard counts, etc.  It's not often it has a major effect on the game, but many good teams take advantage of it (Manning was probably the best I've seen at it).

This is great news! TOs are the number one killer of offenses. Why was Bill Parcells a great coach? He knew this & preached the sh*t out of it. His fights with Phil Simms were because Simms wasn't protecting the ball.

You walk before you run in the NFL. Remember Parcells taking OC duties away in 1999 when Vinny went down? He went conservative. Parcells would practice the same plays over & over until guys could execute them in their sleep.

What we need to happen is have Petty or Hack grab the starting job & FINALLY have a 10 year QB that each year gets more comfortable with his WRs. That's when you can run option routes! Just ask Mike Holmgren, many, many times, Favre saw things & changed routes & pissed Holmgren off. But, Favre was a no, no, no, QB and turned it into a TD. 

We just haven't had a young QB grow in the same system in FOREVER. So, if Morton succeeds, all the better because if Bowles can't get it done with the defense & Morton gets the Jets moving, Morton could be the Jets future coach. 

21 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

It's not a terrible thing but you'd think with a group of young WR's you'd hold off on something like that. We don't exactly have Manning throwing to Harrison out there.

Agreed. Perhaps with a veteran QB and experienced WR's it would work. But you have all these rookie WR's. Bad coaching philosophy or at the very least an unwillingness to alter your coaching to your personnel. Where have we seen that before? Pathetic. 

14 hours ago, win4ever said:

The good news is that we apparently have been going at a faster pace.  I thought it was something that we desperately needed, because while Gailey ran a spread offense, he didn't run a quick offense with Fitz.  So many times, we would get to the line and see Fitz call out signals, point and dance, then literally wait for the defense to adjust, and then snap the play.  We rarely caught teams off-guard because we just didn't speed it up often, allowing for defenses to make substitutions and audibles.  We see a team like the Patriots, and if they catch you in a bad personnel group, they kill you with the hurry up offense without allowing you to sub in player.  We rarely did that.  

The bad news, I like more option for receivers.  In fact, I think it's the greatest reason why the Pats offense is as successful as they are.  They run a dual read system (it seems to me) where you make a read at the line, call audible, but the receivers have a secondary read during the play.  If they see zone or a certain coverage, there is a built in silent audible like a hot read, instead of just going on with the route.  I think it's why you see Brady yelling and screaming a lot, because the receiver didn't make the correct read.  It's also why everyone says their system takes a lot longer to master, and they don't need stars to be successful.  I don't like the idea of going against something like that, and I sort of wish we installed a similar system.   

I hope we employ more hurry up offenses, instead of the old slow one that we are used to.  We don't have quite the talent to just match up one on one with guys.  One thing I did notice about Hackenberg during the scouting report, he does well in taking advantage of certain situations.  Quick snaps to get too many men on the field penalties and free plays, hard counts, etc.  It's not often it has a major effect on the game, but many good teams take advantage of it (Manning was probably the best I've seen at it).

You arent taking into account that the Pats make option routes work because Brady is Brady, has been in the same system his whole career, and the specifically seek out WRs who are cerebral players and will either be in sync with exactly what Brady sees or they will be playing for a different team.

Option routes are ideally a better way to run an offense IF you have a Brady type player.  What Morton is putting in is very similar to what KC runs with Alex Smith, make a pre-snap read, and if the blitz comes go straight to a pre-designed, safe route.  It is the ideal offense for a player struggling with full field reads (Petty) or a young QB like Hack.

Personally Im thrilled to have Morton here and think he will be a huge upgrade for the entire team.

Everyone knows better than the folks actually in contact with the players on a daily basis . The Jets started the season with a Veteran QB who was versed in Gailey's scheme and 2 veteran wide outs coming off a career year for catches, yards and TDs as a combo . To that was added a young player in Enunwa who became the team's top target when injuries riddle the offense and a young speedster who proved he could stretch the field .

Yea, but the coach should have used veterans to execute his offense because it fits the they're all idiots narrative .

18 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Yes putting to much focus repeatedly on turnovers is bad and is a bad foreshadowing of whats to come. Morton opened his first press conference talking about turnovers and now this BS. Teams that are trailing in the 4th quarter turnover the ball just look at Fitzpatric last year vast majority of his int's were at the end of the game trying to come back. Are you not concerned about your offensive coordinator not understanding this 82% statistic is a result of losing and not the sole cause of it?

NO! 

Teams trailing in the 4th have a very good chance of already having turnover(s) 

58 minutes ago, C Mart said:

NO! 

Teams trailing in the 4th have a very good chance of already having turnover(s) 

I think there is some merit to what Jetsbb is pointing out. People quickly forget how scared Sanchez was throwing the ball due to Rex essentially standing over him shouting "NO PICKS!". Now with the benefit of hindsight, we know that Sanchez has been turnover prone his entire career. But many here, myself included, were wondering how much the coaces could have hampered his progress as a young QB afraid to take any risks on the field. 

23 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

I think there is some merit to what Jetsbb is pointing out. People quickly forget how scared Sanchez was throwing the ball due to Rex essentially standing over him shouting "NO PICKS!". Now with the benefit of hindsight, we know that Sanchez has been turnover prone his entire career. But many here, myself included, were wondering how much the coaces could have hampered his progress as a young QB afraid to take any risks on the field. 

And we don't know what is being said to the players other than the need to focus on reducing TOs?  

4 hours ago, BCJet said:

You arent taking into account that the Pats make option routes work because Brady is Brady, has been in the same system his whole career, and the specifically seek out WRs who are cerebral players and will either be in sync with exactly what Brady sees or they will be playing for a different team.

Option routes are ideally a better way to run an offense IF you have a Brady type player.  What Morton is putting in is very similar to what KC runs with Alex Smith, make a pre-snap read, and if the blitz comes go straight to a pre-designed, safe route.  It is the ideal offense for a player struggling with full field reads (Petty) or a young QB like Hack.

Personally Im thrilled to have Morton here and think he will be a huge upgrade for the entire team.

Brady is Brady, there is no doubt about that.  We can't match the performance of that system because we don't have Brady.  However, the system itself is a better system than anything we have right now because it's match-up proof.  Man coverage or zone coverage, it's hard to beat.  It just takes some time to get receivers and QB lined up in the same system.  

I think partially the other way, because I think the system lends itself to achieve more success.  Petty/Hackenberg and the receivers aren't ingrained in other systems enough that they can't learn this system.  I think it helps them be more successful since teams can't be as prepared for it, which helps them grow.  Someone like Garappolo can come in and have success in that system because teams can't just attack weaknesses in an established system.

Archived