Absolutely NO REASON .....

Stark

To even have McCown on the team. It's time cut his old, worthless as$ now while you are cutting other veterans. Let Petty and Hack get all the reps. There is no sense in keeping a bad veteran QB when you are going with a, full on, youth movement. 

Cut him Mac, or release him - not a player we need. 

16 minutes ago, Stark said:

To even have McCown on the team. It's time cut his old, worthless as$ now while you are cutting other veterans. Let Petty and Hack get all the reps. There is no sense in keeping a bad veteran QB when you are going with a, full on, youth movement. 

First thing I thought on hearing about Harris, then Decker.

10 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Yeah this it's more embarrassing now than it has ever been to be a fan of this franchise. At least Rich Kotite was trying.

We are trying. But instead of trying to win 6 games to make season ticket holders happy, we are trying to win 2 games to finally land a franchise QB and make all Jets fans happy in the long run. 

I am all in on Hack this season, but even the biggest Hack fan knows he is a bit of a longshot to become a franchise QB. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We are trying. But instead of trying to win 6 games to make season ticket holders happy, we are trying to win 2 games to finally land a franchise QB and make all Jets fans happy in the long run. 

I am all in on Hack this season, but even the biggest Hack fan knows he is a bit of a longshot to become a franchise QB. 

Yeah I mean we are both all in on Hack and Petty and I agree if you win 6 you might at well win 2. We also agree that if they dont work out then you draft another one next season. But the percentages are really not there for finding a QB #1 overall like they are finding a star Guard or Center in the NBA. For that reason you dont purposely tank. Especially when a lot can change on the college level in a year and the best prospect is a junior. lol

Just now, RSJ said:

Yeah I mean we are both all in on Hack and Petty and I agree if you win 6 you might at well win 2. We also agree that if they dont work out then you draft another one next season. But the percentages are really not there for finding a QB #1 overall like they are finding a star Guard or Center in the NBA. For that reason you dont purposely tank. Especially when a lot can change on the college level in a year and the best prospect is a junior. lol

In years past, I agree. The 2018 draft just so happens to look like one of the best to draft a QB in years. I wasn't saying that last year or the year before. Could all the top QB prospects flop? Sure. Could Darnold stay in school? Sure. But it's still smart to tank for this years draft class even if there is no guarantees in June. 

And maybe Hack figures out......(please hold your laughter)

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

In years past, I agree. The 2018 draft just so happens to look like one of the best to draft a QB in years. I wasn't saying that last year or the year before. Could all the top QB prospects flop? Sure. Could Darnold stay in school? Sure. But it's still smart to tank for this years draft class even if there is no guarantees in June. 

And maybe Hack figures out......(please hold your laughter)

I like Hack so I am hoping he does too and he is only 22 which helps his case to get better. I don't like the idea of tanking though in the NFL, ever. Too much can change, the college game is too different, and while QB is important, it's still a team game like no other sport.

4 minutes ago, RSJ said:

Yeah but QBs almost always go number 1. So regardless of what Darnold does this year we're taking one in the top 5 and some people will be convinced he's a great prospect and some won't but we'll have 3 seasons of definite young QB play. It could be torture or it could be good.

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Yeah but QBs almost always go number 1. So regardless of what Darnold does this year we're taking one in the top 5 and some people will be convinced he's a great prospect and some won't but we'll have 3 seasons of definite young QB play. It could be torture or it could be good.

It's a trend. Me or you could have played better than Osweiler or Manning did and won with that Broncos team.

13 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The Bears gave Glennon big money for 2017, and they still drafted Trubisky.

Hack can be our Glennon next year.  You don't want to David Carr your QB.  He can learn for most of the year, or a full year.  If Hack looks good, he can be a Garopollo.  

2 hours ago, JiF said:

The blind leading the blind.  No vision.  No plan.  Just the same old idiocy over and over again.  

So be prepared, your getting as much Josh McCown as Josh McCown can handle.

Go Jets! 

3rd Quarter week 1?

My guess is that Macc is just hedging his bets.  He couldn't have gone in and said, "We are TANKING this season.  So he signs McCown to buy him time and lose games until Hackenberg is "READY."  But he never will be.  After McCown and Hack crash and burn, Bowles will be gone and Macc can bring in whomever he wants..... that's if Woody doesn't fire him.   Which I doubt.  But I honestly think that's what is happening.

3 hours ago, Stark said:

McCown makes sense because he is good with young QBs and $6M per year for a QB in not much.

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Pretty much.  I'm already mentally and emotionally moving on to Rosen and Darnold because, I'm not gonna lie, it's pretty exciting to think about 1 of those two being here next year.  I particularly love Rosen right now but Darnold is right up there with him.  Just like Winston and Hack, I've been following Josh since his HS days at John Bosco.  I really think he's gonna cement himself as QB #1 this season.

Even if we have to reaaaaaaalllly suffer this year...it will be worth it.

The reason is, it's quite possible the young QBs suck donkey dick, and there's no point in playing them when all it will do is hinder the development of the young WRs, offensive line, etc.  Without minimum competence at the QB position, no one will benefit.  Maybe Hack and Petty really do suck that bad.

12 hours ago, Stark said:

9fbe1ec15723de18eb533e10742118a0038503d5a875199091764f0574c60c50.jpg

10 hours ago, gEYno said:

The reason is, it's quite possible the young QBs suck donkey dick, and there's no point in playing them when all it will do is hinder the development of the young WRs, offensive line, etc.  Without minimum competence at the QB position, no one will benefit.  Maybe Hack and Petty really do suck that bad.

I would find that hard to believe. At this point the company line is "competition". How does keeping a 37 year old that has won 18 games in 14 seasons fall into "competition". Its just stupid at this point. Even if Petty and Hack do really suck that bad, I don't see how McCown will help any position on this team develop into anything worthwhile.

9 hours ago, thadude said:

2 reasons:

1. Bryce Petty sucks

2. Chris Hackenberg blows

FACT - McCown sucks, we all know this.

We do not know exactly how bad the 2 kids are because they haven't played. Let them play. Cut McCown. 

15 minutes ago, Stark said:

I would find that hard to believe. At this point the company line is "competition". How does keeping a 37 year old that has won 18 games in 14 seasons fall into "competition". Its just stupid at this point. Even if Petty and Hack do really suck that bad, I don't see how McCown will help any position on this team develop into anything worthwhile.

14 minutes ago, Stark said:

FACT - McCown sucks, we all know this.

We do not know exactly how bad the 2 kids are because they haven't played. Let them play. Cut McCown. 

McCown is an NFL QB.  He's not a very good one.  But he is a pro.  He has a positive career TD/INT ratio, a completion percentage a hair under 60, and a passer rating that's not horrible.  He's also had two pretty good years in the not too distant past, at least statistically.  With McCown, you'll get a minimum level of competence at the position so we know that at the very least, the rest of the offense can function.  When you say we don't know how bad Petty/Hack are, you're talking about the fans.  While we may not be huge believers in this coaching staff, they see a lot more of the two of them than we do, and maybe, just maybe, they're not seeing NFL caliber players.  I don't want to read too much into OTAs, but at this point, Hackenberg seems to be throwing a pick, or a would-be pick on up to a third of his passes.  If that's who he actually is, you simply can't let him play.

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I don't want to read too much into OTAs, but at this point, Hackenberg seems to be throwing a pick, or a would-be pick on up to a third of his passes.  If that's who he actually is, you simply can't let him play.

Real game experience is the best teacher and also the best way gauge a player's competency level.  Let Hack play, and if he is terrible, let Petty play.  If they are both incapable of running an NFL offense, only then should McCown see the field.  But I'm sure the Jets will do it ass backwards and start McCown, let him be terrible for the first half of the year, and then play Hack or Petty.  If the GM let's this happen, both he and Bowles should be fired at the end of the year.

Just now, ChuckkieB said:

Real game experience is the best teacher and also the best way gauge a player's competency level.  Let Hack play, and if he is terrible, let Petty play.  If they are both incapable of running an NFL offense, only then should McCown see the field.  But I'm sure the Jets will do it ass backwards and start McCown, let him be terrible for the first half of the year, and then play Hack or Petty.  If the GM let's this happen, both he and Bowles should be fired at the end of the year.

I agree that game experience is the best teacher.  But, you don't give game experience to just anyone.  The Jets aren't offering me game experience at QB, and there's a reason for it.  Just as they shouldn't offer it to Petty or Hack if they don't believe that they can achieve a minimal level of competence.  Without that, you're hurting the OL, the WRs, the RB, and the defense.  The punter will get extra work, but otherwise, literally no one benefits if the QB sucks as bad as Petty/Hack just might.  Again, I'm not talking about the fact that McCown may be a little better today, in which case, I'd agree, start youth.  I'm talking about a situation where the attempted development of these QBs stagnates the rest of the team, because they offer nothing positive.

Just now, gEYno said:

I'm talking about a situation where the attempted development of these QBs stagnates the rest of the team, because they offer nothing positive.

If this is actually the case, Woody should fire Mac on the spot because he's the worst evaluator of QB's in the history of the league and shouldn't be anywhere near picking a top college QB in the draft next year.

Just now, ChuckkieB said:

If this is actually the case, Woody should fire Mac on the spot because he's the worst evaluator of QB's in the history of the league and shouldn't be anywhere near picking a top college QB in the draft next year.

Considering plenty of evaluators called Hackenberg "undraftable," you may be on to something.  Though, worst evaluator in the history of the league is overdramatic hyperbole, because plenty of QBs simply don't belong on the field, criticism of Macc's talent evaluation thus far, agree or disagree, is merited.

Archived