No QB, O-LINE OR RECIEVERS

Jetfan13

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:12 PM, jbt said:

carson palmer is pretty good. how many schools have had multiple good QB's in the NFL?

Miami, Notre Dame and FSU to name just a few. How many rings does Palmer have? EXACTLY.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/17/2017 at 9:59 PM, Tony MaC said:

I still contend that the O-line will be better than expected.

Ok - our starting LT was cut by the Jags.  By the JAGS.

Carpenter is solid

Johnson and Winters are average at best.

We don't know what we have in Shell

Heaven help us if any of the above get injured.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 2:37 PM, thadude said:

The jets aren't passing on Darnold if they have the #1 pick.  Your argument is a red herring sorry

Its not an argument, its factual history. No USC QB's in the Hall of Fame and there never will be. No USC QB's have a Super Bowl ring and probably never will have. Not a statement on Darnoud, rather a statement on the program.

3 hours ago, Jetfan13 said:

Its not an argument, its factual history. No USC QB's in the Hall of Fame and there never will be. No USC QB's have a Super Bowl ring and probably never will have. Not a statement on Darnoud, rather a statement on the program.

Weren't supposed to take Oregon QBs either, because they all suck, but Mariota looks pretty good. 

On 6/27/2017 at 1:32 PM, Jetfan13 said:

Miami, Notre Dame and FSU to name just a few. How many rings does Palmer have? EXACTLY.

Miami - who?  Jim Kelly?  Vinny T? Bernie Kosar?  HOW MANY RINGS DO THEY HAVE??? lol Ken Dorsey though.

Notre Dame? Theisman and Montana?  That was the 70's. Literally, the 70's.  Since then?  Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clauson. 

FSU?  I assume this is a joke.  The best QB in the history of their program was a Point Guard for the Knicks.  Brad Johnson was along for the ride in Tampa.  Otherwise, Jameis looks good after Chris Wienke, EJ Manuel and Christian Ponder lit up the NFL.

There are no QB factories, acting like you cant take a QB from a college because they produced a bad one is silly talk and completely illogical. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:40 PM, JiF said:

Miami - who?  Jim Kelly?  Vinny T? Bernie Kosar?  HOW MANY RINGS DO THEY HAVE??? lol Ken Dorsey though.

Notre Dame? Theisman and Montana?  That was the 70's. Literally, the 70's.  Since then?  Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clauson. 

FSU?  I assume this is a joke.  The best QB in the history of their program was a Point Guard for the Knicks.  Brad Johnson was along for the ride in Tampa.  Otherwise, Jameis looks good after Chris Wienke, EJ Manuel and Christian Ponder lit up the NFL.

There are no QB factories, acting like you cant take a QB from a college because they produced a bad one is silly talk and completely illogical. 

Says the Gator fan

BTW, you forgot Geno Torreta and Steve Walsh, 2 MORE rings there for Miami..

On 6/6/2017 at 7:57 PM, thadude said:

Macc has no plan.  This is a disorganized charlie foxtrot.

Trust me.  I've only been right about EVERYTHING

I honestly can't think of a single times you've been right about anything.  

18 hours ago, JiF said:

I think you missed the point...go figure 

No I think you did. Some schools have a history of producing good to great NFL QB's, Notre Dame and Miami have had quite a few. USC? NAH.

4 hours ago, Jetfan13 said:

No I think you did. Some schools have a history of producing good to great NFL QB's, Notre Dame and Miami have had quite a few. USC? NAH.

I admit that I thought JiF was correct (it pains me to admit) and you missed the point, but this post confuses me.  Your point was that Miami has a history of producing good to great NFL QB's and you wanted to add Gino Torretta and Steve Walsh?

Besides that, what does history have to do with anything?  The Browns were a historically great franchise.  How does that matter now? I think they were in the playoffs the last time a Notre Dame QB was relevant.  Should we have taken Brad Kaaya? 

5 hours ago, Jetfan13 said:

Oregon State had a reputation as bad as USC's, but that Marcus Mariota looks pretty good. Have to judge each prospect on his own merits. 

2 hours ago, slats said:

Oregon State had a reputation as bad as USC's, but that Marcus Mariota looks pretty good. Have to judge each prospect on his own merits. 

I just don't see the connection between Oregon State QBs and Marcus Mariota.

On 7/14/2017 at 2:26 PM, #27TheDominator said:

I admit that I thought JiF was correct (it pains me to admit) and you missed the point, but this post confuses me.  Your point was that Miami has a history of producing good to great NFL QB's and you wanted to add Gino Torretta and Steve Walsh?

Besides that, what does history have to do with anything?  The Browns were a historically great franchise.  How does that matter now? I think they were in the playoffs the last time a Notre Dame QB was relevant.  Should we have taken Brad Kaaya? 

I originally responded on a pic of the USC QB and a 0-16 caption and said the history of USC QB's wasn't to shiny. Then jbt asked how many schools have had multiple good QB's in the NFL. That was the jist of things. I named 3 schools that did pretty good in that department.

Jets Fans... I tell ya. 

The moons are lining up to give this Team a shot at drafting a true savior next year, and yet too many of you are letting trivial discourse rule the roost. Maybe it's Sam. Or a Josh. Maybe it's Mason and Luke. Maybe Lamar takes the next step... Only thing that matters is we're going to be in play. That's exciting. 

On 7/13/2017 at 1:24 PM, Jetfan13 said:

Says the Gator fan

BTW, you forgot Geno Torreta and Steve Walsh, 2 MORE rings there for Miami..

On 7/14/2017 at 9:54 AM, Jetfan13 said:

On 7/15/2017 at 2:49 PM, Jetfan13 said:

I originally responded on a pic of the USC QB and a 0-16 caption and said the history of USC QB's wasn't to shiny. Then jbt asked how many schools have had multiple good QB's in the NFL. That was the jist of things. I named 3 schools that did pretty good in that department.

Still don't get it.  Miami has had quite a few good to great NFL Qb's and you cite Gino Torretta and Steve Walsh?  

19 hours ago, Paradis said:

Jets Fans... I tell ya. 

The moons are lining up to give this Team a shot at drafting a true savior next year, and yet too many of you are letting trivial discourse rule the roost. Maybe it's Sam. Or a Josh. Maybe it's Mason and Luke. Maybe Lamar takes the next step... Only thing that matters is we're going to be in play. That's exciting. 

So exciting to be expecting to lose every game so that we can have one thrilling moment in May! 

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

So exciting to be expecting to lose every game so that we can have one thrilling moment in May! 

Shows what you know. The thrilling moment will be in April. There could also be many thrilling moments talking about what will happen up to April 26.

Then when the time comes: we'll draft another defender, followed by more hero worship on why this BAP strategy is awesome and shrewd, and how the strength of the QB position will really be in rounds 2 or 3, where we could never get the caliber defender of [our latest top 10 pick]. 

12 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Still don't get it.  Miami has had quite a few good to great NFL Qb's and you cite Gino Torretta and Steve Walsh?  

Only mentioned them because they both won National titles at The U.

11 hours ago, Jetfan13 said:

Only mentioned them because they both won National titles at The U.

Right, but it still doesn't make sense.  You guys were talking about NFL QBs and rings.  JiF specifically asked who these Miami QBs were with rings - Kelly? Kosar?  You complained that Carson Palmer has "no rings."  If there is a person alive who would prefer Steve Walsh or Gino Torretta over Carson Palmer, they probably need to wear a helmet to tie their shoes. 

7 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Right, but it still doesn't make sense.  You guys were talking about NFL QBs and rings.  JiF specifically asked who these Miami QBs were with rings - Kelly? Kosar?  You complained that Carson Palmer has "no rings."  If there is a person alive who would prefer Steve Walsh or Gino Torretta over Carson Palmer, they probably need to wear a helmet to tie their shoes. 

Just forget it

What school is QB U? USC among teams that can make claim

Print
  • 0ap2000000332421.jpg
  • By Bryan Fischer
  • College Football 24/7 writer
  • Published: Aug. 19, 2014 at 01:54 p.m.
  • 0 Likes  |  0 Comments

0ap2000000359189.jpg

Carson Palmer became the first overall pick in the 2003 draft after winning the Heisman Trophy in '02.

It's the most important position on the football field, and for many NFL teams, it's the most difficult position to project. For every Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, there are a handful of busts in the mold of Akili Smith and Tim Couch. However, some colleges tend to have a better success rate at getting their quarterbacks to the NFL.

0ap2000000353610.jpg
    NFL Exposure

Top college QBs to watch in 2014

Take a look ahead to the 2014 college football season with the best quarterbacks to follow this fall.

College Football 24/7 took a look at college football programs across the country and took into account their history of producing NFL quarterbacks over the past 25 years, the quality of signal-callers they've produced, the offense they typically run and even took a look into future a little bit to see what kind of pipeline there is for the school. As impressive as Auburn, Baylor, Texas A&M and others have been at sending quarterbacks to the league in recent years, they haven't quite risen to the same level as the schools on this list when it comes to depth and recent historical impact.

» Nebraska team among college football's best of all time

With that in mind, here are the 10 programs that can proudly lay claim to the title "Quarterback U" based on their success in sending quarterbacks to the league during the past quarter century or so (teams ranked from least to most impressive QB collections).

10. N.C. State Wolfpack

Draft picks last 25 years: Three (Philip Rivers, Russell Wilson, Mike Glennon)
    The skinny: Yes, we're counting Wilson in the Wolfpack trio even though he spent his final college season at Wisconsin. While the quantity hasn't been as great as others, the quality is pretty high dating back to the Norm Chow-coached Rivers. Glennon is apparently the future in Tampa Bay and looked decent as a rookie. Head coach Dave Doeren is known mostly for dual-threat signal-callers, but that's not an automatic disqualifier here with a better-than-expected recruiting base in the region and potential for big things down the road.

9. Michigan State Spartans

Draft picks last 25 years: Five (Jim Miller, Tony Banks, Jeff Smoker, Drew Stanton, Kirk Cousins)
    The skinny: While you're more likely to look to the Spartans for a defender, they've had solid success in sending quarterbacks to the NFL the past few decades. The list of recent draft picks doesn't even include a possible starter in Cleveland's Brian Hoyer. Plus, Connor Cook will be one scouts have an eye on and the program's recruiting has ticked up quite a bit with signal-callers as of late.

0ap2000000354095.jpg

14 for '14 series:
    CFB 24/7 counts down the 14 college football players or coaches to watch in varying categories in 2014. 

» Top small-school prospects 
    » Impact freshmen in college football 
    » Top rivalries in college football 
    » Top personalities in college football 
    » Best uniforms in college football 
    » Best stadiums in college football 
    » Biggest hitters in college football 
    » Hot coordinators in college football 
    » Best recruiters in college football 
    » Hot-seat coaches in college football 
    » Best coaches in college football 
    » Best names in college football 
    » Heaviest players in college football 
    » Smallest players in college football 
    » Top celebrity college football fans 
    » Top Heisman Trophy candidates 
    » Most explosive athletes in college football 
    » Most versatile players in college football 
    » Most freakish athletes in college football 
    » Scariest players in college football 
    » Fastest players in college football 
    » Toughest players in college football 
    » Smartest players in college football 
    » Most physical players in college football 
    » College football players with best intangibles

8. Georgia Bulldogs

Draft picks last 25 years: Six (Eric Zeier, Quincy Carter, David Greene, D.J. Shockley, Matt Stafford, Aaron Murray)
    The skinny: The presence of head coach Mark Richt in Athens is a significant reason why the Bulldogs land on this list -- he's recruited several talented passers. Stafford and Murray stand out for their impressive production, while the other QBs on the Georgia list form a solid group of middle-round picks. Carter might have been average for the Cowboys, but he still ended up with more than a cup of coffee in the NFL. Hutson Mason is penciled in as the starter this season and could draw NFL looks if he pans out, and there are a number of interesting options in the pipeline behind him for Georgia.

7. Florida Gators

Draft picks last 25 years: Four (Danny Wuerffel, Jesse Palmer, Rex Grossman, Tim Tebow)
    The skinny: This number might be even higher had Steve Spurrier stayed in Gainesville instead of departing for D.C., but it's not a bad list either way. All the Florida QBs drafted in the past 25 years ended up starting NFL games, and NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt is high on current starter Jeff Driskel, a former top QB coming out of high school. Plus, for all the flack Tebow takes, he was still a first-round pick and has as many playoff wins as Tony Romo.

6. California Golden Bears

Draft picks last 25 years: Five (Mike Pawlawski, Dave Barr, Pat Barnes, Kyle Boller, Aaron Rodgers)
    The skinny: The reason Jeff Tedford is the offensive coordinator of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and no longer the head coach in Berkeley is largely due to the fact that he no longer was considered the quarterback whisperer (looking back, he was more of a running backs guru, anyway). Still, the Bears saw recent success with a pair of first-rounders under Tedford, including a Super Bowlwinner in Rodgers. With a great local talent base at the high school level and a wide-open, pass-happy offense under head coach Sonny Dykes, scouts should soon have more reason to stop by campus after visiting rival Stanford.

5. LSU Tigers

Draft picks last 25 years: Seven (Josh Booty, Craig Nall, Rohan Davey, Matt Mauck, JaMarcus Russell, Matt Flynn, Zach Mettenberger)
    The skinny: The Tigers are no doubt scarred by the fact that Russell is one of the biggest draft busts at the position in recent memory, but don't overlook the fact that the program has done pretty well at the position as far as quantity. With Cam Cameron installing an offense that will look familiar to those who watch more football on Sunday, LSU isn't likely to stop sending quarterbacks to the league anytime soon.

4. Stanford Cardinal

Draft picks last 25 years: Five (Steve Stenstrom, Todd Husak, Randy Fasani, Trent Edwards, Andrew Luck)
    The skinny: While Stanford hasn't produced the quantity of some of the others on this list, it has been a historically great school when it comes to quarterback quality (John Elway and Jim Plunkett, among others, back in the day). Luck certainly carries the banner for this group, but the Cardinal's offense is nearly indistinguishable from what you'll see on Sundays and they have been as good as anybody at landing talented blue chippers out of high school. Kevin Hogan is already on the radar of NFL scouts and he won't be the last from the Farm to draw their attention.

3. Florida State Seminoles

Draft picks last 25 years: Eight (Peter Tom Willis, Brad Johnson, Casey Weldon, Danny Kanell, Chris Weinke, Adrian McPherson, Christian Ponder, EJ Manuel)
    The skinny: When you consider that one Heisman Trophy-winning FSU quarterback didn't get drafted into the NFL but could have played in the league (Charlie Ward), it makes the Seminoles' list even more impressive. They had a few hits and misses over the years, but head coach Jimbo Fisher seems to have turned the program into a must-stop for top talent at every position. Jameis Winston is next in line to go from Noles QB to the pros.

0ap2000000358447.jpg
    NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks digs deep into the game tape to evaluate college football's most talented players. 

» Vic Beasley, DE, Clemson 
    » Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor 
    » Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon 
    » Leonard Williams, DL, USC 
    » Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State 
    » Wisconsin's Gordon vs. Georgia's Gurley

2. Michigan Wolverines

Draft picks last 25 years: Seven (Elvis Grbac, Todd Collins, Brian Griese, Tom Brady, Drew Henson, John Navarre, Chad Henne)
    The skinny: Thanks mostly to Brady, the Wolverines might have one of the better hit rates on sending QBs to the NFL in recent years. All seven quarterbacks drafted in the past 25 years started at least one game in the NFL and four of them have thrown for more than 10,000 yards as a pro. While it's unclear if head coach Brady Hoke will keep his job much longer, it's doubtful Michigan moves away from a pro-style offense after the failed Rich Rodriguez experiment. With a big brand name and the ability to get signal-callers from any part of the country, this is one area where Michigan wins a head-to-head with its rival, Ohio State.

1. USC Trojans

Draft picks last 25 years: 11 (Rodney Peete, Pat O'Hara, Todd Marinovich, Rob Johnson, Kyle Wacholtz, Carson Palmer, Matt Cassel, Matt Leinart, John David Booty, Mark Sanchez, Matt Barkley)
    The skinny: A lot of NFL-centric viewpoints might question the Trojans' place atop this list given the number of players that failed to live up to the hype in the pros, but it's hard to argue with the numbers and the relative success most of the USC quarterbacks have had in the NFL. All but two multi-game starters for the Trojans in the last 25 years were drafted, so becoming the BMOC at USC is a good indicator that you'll hear your name called during the draft. With a pro-style but up-tempo offense in place under Steve Sarkisian and a five-star quarterback in the 2015 recruiting class, you should continue to see a Trojans quarterback in the draft every few years. The only program that could make a case to be ranked ahead of USC is the one right behind them on this list.

Follow Bryan Fischer on Twitter @BryanDFischer.

Archived