QB's...

k-met57

On 6/7/2017 at 8:09 PM, thadude said:

After Darnold my next favorite QB is Josh Allen.  He has a monster arm and plays in a pro style offense

I think Lamar Jackson is going to be a better pro than people think he will be

a pro WR? :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2017 at 1:01 AM, Paradis said:

Falk

Falk is a really interesting player.  Doesnt have an elite arm, but does have the size to not be completely limited in arm strength and is very accurate.

I dont know if he can step in and be a day 1 starter in 2018, but seems like yet another QB who will be taken in the top 50 next year.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Falk is a really interesting player.  Doesnt have an elite arm, but does have the size to not be completely limited in arm strength and is very accurate.

I dont know if he can step in and be a day 1 starter in 2018, but seems like yet another QB who will be taken in the top 50 next year.

I think he'd do OK if he had to take snaps year 1... What he's good at (timing, touch, accuracy) -- an OC can work with that. 

On 6/7/2017 at 7:37 PM, Lupz27 said:

Rosen is Jay Cutler like head case, maybe worse they are already crossing him off the list because of how big a douche his teammates think he is.

Danny Kanell (@dannykanell)

8/8/17, 4:57 PM

Josh Rosen needs to stop spouting off nonsense and worry about living up to the hype -- which he hasn't to this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Draft Analyst (@DraftAnalyst1)

8/20/17, 7:56 PM

#MissState QB Nick Fitzgerald presently grades as a 2nd rd talent, but @TonyPauline feels he could move north: draftanalyst.com/scouting-sec-m… pic.twitter.com/mLLDyrItmJ

Darnold is a Day 1 starter.   Rudolph has huge upside but needs a redshirt year to adjust from the air raid.   Allen i've only read about and I just don't see anything special in Rosen.   re: Rosen - I would never use a top 5 pick on a QB with a surgically repaired shoulder.   "soft tissue" is code for labrum or rotator cuff.   

20 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I think I have agreed with you on most QB's coming out of the draft, historically. We both think Darnold is going to be special.

If we want him, we better be hoping USC wins the national title this year. If they fal short, that will be his only reason not to declare. 

And we'd get Peyton Manning'd '97 style again. 

59 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

A player to watch this besides the main guys already mentioned is Jarret Stidham of Auburn. Transferred there this year.

If he has the year they're hoping from him, he could be a top 10 pick potentially.

Sounds like there could be like 5 QB's go in the first 35 picks, last time that happened was 2011, and only ONE was special the 1st overall pick 3 have flamed out, and Dalton has been decent, it's Darnold or bust!

On 6/24/2017 at 1:01 AM, Paradis said:

Falk

Falk's playing style reminds A LOT of Tom Brady; there I said it out loud.  That must be his favorite player because he looks just like him on the field.  He has Brady down pat, stance, footwork, throwing motion even the way his holds the ball.  I hate Brady with a passion so I don't like him.

On 7/25/2017 at 9:19 PM, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

2 MASON RUDOLPH QB
OKLAHOMA STATE COWBOYS

STATS
SEASON TEAM G ATT COMP YDS INT TDS SACKED RATING
2014-15 Oklahoma State 3 86 49 853 0 6 8 154.0
2015-16 Oklahoma State 13 424 264 3770 9 21 30 149.1
TOTAL   16 510 313 4623 0 27 38 149.9

What kind of math is that on those total INTs?

46 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

He also says Hackenberg has a 70% chance to succeed in the NFL as a starter!

I didn't hear the whole thing. Wow, really? That's probably the best compliment Hackenberg has gotten from anyone since his freshman year.

Tough from me to place a % on something potential based. But, I'll take the word of someone as respected as him, who has his personal scouting metrics to come to that #.

I personally wanted us to draft Hackenberg in round 3, with the idea he may be able to become a good starter by year 3 or 4. This was when i didn't think the Jets would be in a position to draft a once in a decade talent anytime soon. So, waiting a few years seemed reasonable. 

Since, this is his "real" rookie year to me (as he didn't have practice reps last year) I don't think he'll be able to produce anything that will detract us from taking Darnold or Allen. 

But, it will be interesting to see how he competes with the incoming drafted QB for the next 2 years. Does he crumble, or improve and become a tradable asset? 

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

He also says Hackenberg has a 70% chance to succeed in the NFL as a starter!

I listened to more of the podcast and when speaking of young QB's, he said they above all need talent around them to succeed. But most important talent for them is OLINE. I mean this is obvious to most anyone. But further highlights our need to bolster our offensive line for Hack or whoever we draft next year. 

With the college season starting for real this week it's going to be interesting watching these QB's and
trying to determine who may have traits to be successful on the pro level:

- What's their frame / arm like?
- Are they running a gimmick offense or are they exposed to pro concepts?
- Are they under center or only in the shotgun?
- Do they have clean footwork dropping back or do they only have to reset their feet?
- Are they playing against good defensive competition or jokes where windows are 5-6 yards wide?
- Can they make pro throws vertically down the field or only horizontal spread throws?
- Can they play from the pocket or do they make one read and try to run?

And those questions don't even deal with "intangible" issues like leadership and how hard does
he study and work off the field.  QB evaluation isn't easy no matter what anyone wants to say

First time seeing Josh Allen and have to say I'm impressed.  He's playing against
Iowa on the road with a young team:

- Excellent frame with room to bulk up
- Big arm
- Shows decent touch
- Shows the ability to keep accuracy while on the move
- And maybe most important he's in a pro style offense.  Where he's taking
snaps from under center and in the shotgun.  Also, he's calling plays in
the huddle and making adjustments at the line

9 minutes ago, KRL said:

First time seeing Josh Allen and have to say I'm impressed.  He's playing against

- Big arm
- Shows decent touch

All well, and good, but he doesn't look that good to me, he is a poor mans Patrick Mahomes talent wise with an advantage with pro style offense experience.

On 9/2/2017 at 0:45 PM, KRL said:

- Big arm
- Shows decent touch

He made 2 really bad decisions on the interceptions (both were very Hackenberg-esque).

That being said, how would the game be different for him and Wyoming if his receiver caught that TD pass that Allen threaded down the field after stepping up in the pocket?

On 9/2/2017 at 11:45 AM, KRL said:

- Big arm
- Shows decent touch

On 9/2/2017 at 11:56 AM, Lupz27 said:

All well, and good, but he doesn't look that good to me, he is a poor mans Patrick Mahomes talent wise with an advantage with pro style offense experience.

I agree with with both of these, but I am in more agreement with @Lupz27 on this. The physical traits are what they are, no denying that. BUT.... the whole "plays in a pro style offense" thing for me carries less weight than it did years ago. You can teach taking snaps form under center, calling plays , and making adjustments at the line.... See Mariota, that kid rarely, if ever took snaps under center at Oregon, and then by the first Titans team mini camp already had worked on the under center snaps, footwork and he looked good at it.

I want a QB that has the arm talent, natural movement/awareness in the pocket, and most importantly the guy that doesn't get rattled or look like the moment is too big for him. The other stuff can be taught, yes there is a learning curve, but if I have a kid that already can complete 65% of his passes and does everything except play in a pr style offense I will take him and the learning curve.

Allen is not the guy, just my opinion. Seems very Hack like from Freshman year at Penn St.

This season's group of college football QBs has been lauded for the number of potential franchise players in the collection, but few people are buzzing about one of the best kept secrets in the SEC: Missouri's Drew Lock.

The Tigers' QB1 has the tools to be an elite field general at the next level when you take a look at his size (6-foot-3, 225 pounds), arm talent and pocket passing skills. As a right-handed passer with A-plus arm strength and a quick release, Lock capably makes every throw in the book with zip, velocity or a feathery touch at every range.

When I studied the junior's tape from the 2016 season, I compared him to a MLB relief pitcher with the capacity to throw three or four pitchers from a number of different arm angles. He repeatedly throws around free rushers at the line, exhibiting outstanding awareness and release quickness.

These are the same traits that Lock exhibited when I initially watched him throw at Elite 11 events -- competition for top high school QBs -- a few years ago.

"He's a talented guy who can make every throw in the book," said a high-ranking Elite 11 official. "He's not a 'rah-rah' guy but he's a 'dude' and guys love playing with him."

Another Elite 11 official called him "special" and told me that he might be the "second-best quarterback in the class" (behind USC's Sam Darnold) when it is all said and done.

Now, I know that is certainly lofty praise for a quarterback that's rarely been discussed amidst the hype leading up to the season, but his 521-yard, seven-touchdown effort against Missouri State in Week 1 has certainly prompted scouts to pay closer attention to his work in the SEC. With a marquee matchup against South Carolina on tap for Saturday, the Tigers' QB1 could jump into the elite quarterback prospect conversation with a strong showing this weekend. -- Bucky Brooks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000840145/article/drew-lock-on-rise-2-rbs-who-could-follow-kareem-hunts-path?campaign=tw-cf-sf112582349-sf112582349&sf112582349=1

• 2 months later...

On the quarterback front I was very surprised to learn from multiple sources that a pair of Big Ten quarterbacks, Tanner Lee of Nebraska and Clayton Thorson of Northwestern, are both heavily leaning towards entering the draft. 

Some are of the opinion it’s a foregone conclusion.

As one insider told me it was “one foot in the door, one foot out the door” for both signal callers before the season even began and that it would’ve taken something major for both to return to school. 

Despite the fact neither has played particularly well this season, I’m told the unimpressive play by the top-rated quarterbacks is making the decision easier. The expectations of a coaching change at Nebraska are also pushing Lee to declare for the draft.

I’m told the situation on a decision from Sam Darnold is no different now then what we reported on October 4 -- he won’t really start exploring his next-level options until the season is over.

On an interesting note, sources tell me that former NFL quarterbacks Trent Dilfer and Jordan Palmer are working with Darnold and will help with the decision-making process. 

Dilfer was an outstanding analyst for ESPN before getting caught up in the cuts that took place at the network last April. 

Palmer has worked with several quarterbacks in the lead-up to the draft in recent years. He scripted the pro day for Blake Bortles in 2014, and to this day it was one of the most professionally scripted workouts I’ve witnessed. 

http://draftanalyst.com/tuesday-draft-notes-100

On 11/15/2017 at 11:33 AM, C Mart said:

On the quarterback front I was very surprised to learn from multiple sources that a pair of Big Ten quarterbacks, Tanner Lee of Nebraska and Clayton Thorson of Northwestern, are both heavily leaning towards entering the draft. 

Some are of the opinion it’s a foregone conclusion.

As one insider told me it was “one foot in the door, one foot out the door” for both signal callers before the season even began and that it would’ve taken something major for both to return to school. 

Despite the fact neither has played particularly well this season, I’m told the unimpressive play by the top-rated quarterbacks is making the decision easier. The expectations of a coaching change at Nebraska are also pushing Lee to declare for the draft.

I’m told the situation on a decision from Sam Darnold is no different now then what we reported on October 4 -- he won’t really start exploring his next-level options until the season is over.

On an interesting note, sources tell me that former NFL quarterbacks Trent Dilfer and Jordan Palmer are working with Darnold and will help with the decision-making process. 

Dilfer was an outstanding analyst for ESPN before getting caught up in the cuts that took place at the network last April. 

Palmer has worked with several quarterbacks in the lead-up to the draft in recent years. He scripted the pro day for Blake Bortles in 2014, and to this day it was one of the most professionally scripted workouts I’ve witnessed. 

http://draftanalyst.com/tuesday-draft-notes-100

Thanks for posting.  I’ve followed both all year.  Tanner Lee has been terrible.  His interception % is significantly higher than every other QB prospect that I can find.  Completion % is terrible, 57%, 

Nebraska vs Northern IL: Tanner Lee was 25-47 (53%) 0 TDs and 3 Ints.

Thorson’s stats are marginally better but NW is winning in spite of Thorson.  Their RB is carrying that offense.  

I cant imagine why either of these guys wants to go pro other than looking forward to being a practice squad QB.  I have at least 12 QBs ranked higher than both of these guys.  

Many GM taking either of these QBs won’t be taking them based on what they accomplished this year.

59 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Thanks for posting.  I’ve followed both all year.  Tanner Lee has been terrible.  His interception % is significantly higher than every other QB prospect that I can find.  Completion % is terrible, 57%, 

Nebraska vs Northern IL: Tanner Lee was 25-47 (53%) 0 TDs and 3 Ints.

Thorson’s stats are marginally better but NW is winning in spite of Thorson.  Their RB is carrying that offense.  

I cant imagine why either of these guys wants to go pro other than looking forward to being a practice squad QB.  I have at least 12 QBs ranked higher than both of these guys.  

Many GM taking either of these QBs won’t be taking them based on what they accomplished this year.

And neither should be drafted by the JETS. We already have 1 long term project QB in Hack, and another project in Petty. WE should not be in the QB development business as we apparently suck at it. 

5 hours ago, Stark said:

And neither should be drafted by the JETS. We already have 1 long term project QB in Hack, and another project in Petty. WE should not be in the QB development business as we apparently suck at it. 

If I’m Macc why even have Petty or Hack on the roster?  Bowles just refuses to play either of them, with or without cause.

My latest fear is that we sign Tyron Taylor after he’s cut and we skip QB altogether this draft.  That’s a fireable offense and indicates that we don’t want to win, we want to be average.  Everybody needs to go if that is the case.

Archived