Sign in to follow this  
k-met57

QB's...

This season's group of college football QBs has been lauded for the number of potential franchise players in the collection, but few people are buzzing about one of the best kept secrets in the SEC: Missouri's Drew Lock.

The Tigers' QB1 has the tools to be an elite field general at the next level when you take a look at his size (6-foot-3, 225 pounds), arm talent and pocket passing skills. As a right-handed passer with A-plus arm strength and a quick release, Lock capably makes every throw in the book with zip, velocity or a feathery touch at every range.

When I studied the junior's tape from the 2016 season, I compared him to a MLB relief pitcher with the capacity to throw three or four pitchers from a number of different arm angles. He repeatedly throws around free rushers at the line, exhibiting outstanding awareness and release quickness.

These are the same traits that Lock exhibited when I initially watched him throw at Elite 11 events -- competition for top high school QBs -- a few years ago.

"He's a talented guy who can make every throw in the book," said a high-ranking Elite 11 official. "He's not a 'rah-rah' guy but he's a 'dude' and guys love playing with him."

Another Elite 11 official called him "special" and told me that he might be the "second-best quarterback in the class" (behind USC's Sam Darnold) when it is all said and done.

Now, I know that is certainly lofty praise for a quarterback that's rarely been discussed amidst the hype leading up to the season, but his 521-yard, seven-touchdown effort against Missouri State in Week 1 has certainly prompted scouts to pay closer attention to his work in the SEC. With a marquee matchup against South Carolina on tap for Saturday, the Tigers' QB1 could jump into the elite quarterback prospect conversation with a strong showing this weekend. -- Bucky Brooks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000840145/article/drew-lock-on-rise-2-rbs-who-could-follow-kareem-hunts-path?campaign=tw-cf-sf112582349-sf112582349&sf112582349=1

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.