For The Sake Of Balance

KRL

With the cuts of Harris & Decker the "mainstream media" are into their shampoo, rinse and repeat narratives
of:

- They have the worst roster in the league
- They may not win a game this year
- They are tanking 2017
- They are already looking at the QB's in the 2018 draft

We've heard that before and in reality Harris & Decker being on the team wasn't going to change that.
From a player standpoint the cuts aren't "classy" but it happens all the time, just last week in KC
with Maclin for instance.  For the sake of balance, could there be football reasons for both players
getting cut?  Remember the OTA's entered the competitve on the field phase recently, is it possible
that:

- The players showed decline when going against an opponent?
- Younger players at their positions "flashed" and the front office thinks they can move on from them?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, KRL said:

With the cuts of Harris & Decker the "mainstream media" are into their shampoo, rinse and repeat narratives
of:

- They are tanking 2017

We've heard that before and in reality Harris & Decker being on the team wasn't going to change that.
From a player standpoint the cuts aren't "classy" but it happens all the time, just last week in KC
with Maclin for instance.  For the sake of balance, could there be football reasons for both players
getting cut?  Remember the OTA's entered the competitve on the field phase recently, is it possible
that:

- Younger players at their positions "flashed" and the front office thinks they can move on from them?

Deckers case IMO he was the last piece of the Ryan Fitzpatrick posse left (one can also argue that there is still one more member of that posse left Bowles), and they needed to wait till he was cleared as healthy to cut him, and he was just cleared so the explanation of the timing for his cut.  Harris I think was a financial decision, if he would have taken a pay cut I think he is still on the team, he declined then the Jets made the call to save the money deeming him not a good value at that price tag.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Deckers case IMO he was the last piece of the Ryan Fitzpatrick posse left, and they needed to wait till he was cleared as healthy to cut him, and he was just cleared so the explanation of the timing for his cut.  Harris I think was a financial decision, if he would have taken a pay cut I think he is still on the team, he declined then the Jets made the call to save the money deeming him not a good value at that price tag.

Decker has (had?) the second-highest cap number on the team this season. Make no mistake, he's also a salary dump. But I agree, being part of the posse that helped destroy the locker room last year is another major factor. 

Just now, slats said:

Decker has (had?) the second-highest cap number on the team this season. Make no mistake, he's also a salary dump. But I agree, being part of the posse that helped destroy the locker room last year is another major factor. 

Yes finances also played a huge factor with Decker, and I think Bowles is the next guy to get chopped because of the Fitzpatrick debacle after this season when it is financially feasible no matter how this season goes (barring a miracle playoff push).

Ummmmm.... the Jets do have one of the 2 or 3 worst rosters in the league.   What the "experts" think or say is irrelevant.  But the fact remains, they are absolutely correct.  Anybody with  half a brain can see that.

This "main stream media" bashing bullsh*t is getting really old.   What exactly isn't "MSM" for you people?  Some obscure website and/or the station that tells you only what you want to hear?

There is always the possibility of declining talent as the reason but its doubtful.  When you ask a player to take a pay cut its all about the money. It was classless how they handled the Harris situation. The guy deserved better. Decker was always going to be released in my opinion.

This smells of saving some money based on low ticket sales to this point. Why pay out 13.75 million to two players when you are going to be a poor team anyway with low ticket sales? Recoup some lost money.

15 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Ummmmm.... the Jets do have one of the 2 or 3 worst rosters in the league.   What the "experts" think or say is irrelevant.  But the fact remains, they are absolutely correct.  Anybody with  half a brain can see that.

This "main stream media" bashing bullsh*t is getting really old.   What exactly isn't "MSM" for you people?  Some obscure website and/or the station that tells you only what you want to hear?

just the facts please...enough with the predictions.

What exactly did the Jets lose that was going to play a significant difference in the outcome of the 2017 season  ?  When you ask an older player to take a pay-cut, you are telling him that he's become a platoon player who can't do what he was once capable of . The Jets waited 1 year too long before parting ways with Mangold, just like they did with many other before .

Change isn't always welcome, but it's always necessary . 

16 minutes ago, NYJ37/12 said:

There is always the possibility of declining talent as the reason but its doubtful.  When you ask a player to take a pay cut its all about the money. It was classless how they handled the Harris situation. The guy deserved better. Decker was always going to be released in my opinion.

This smells of saving some money based on low ticket sales to this point. Why pay out 13.75 million to two players when you are going to be a poor team anyway with low ticket sales? Recoup some lost money.

Because eventually the money has to be spent. The money isn't saved so much as it's just moved onto the next year to be spent no matter what. Woody isn't saving money so much as Macc is allocating funds to a time when he feels it will be more useful.

Cutting Harris was classless because it didn't happen the way some think it should have . What exactly did David Harris think was going to happen when he refused to accept the offer the Jets made him  ?  If he didn't know, then why is that the fault of the Jets and not his agent ? 

Show us, tell us, because we pay so we should have access to the goings -on .  I used to say "with the Jets it's always something", but I have come to realize I forgot a word .  

18 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

What exactly did the Jets lose that was going to play a significant difference in the outcome of the 2017 season  ?  When you ask an older player to take a pay-cut, you are telling him that he's become a platoon player who can't do what he was once capable of . The Jets waited 1 year too long before parting ways with Mangold, just like they did with many other before .

Change isn't always welcome, but it's always necessary . 

4 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Cutting Harris was classless because it didn't happen the way some think it should have . What exactly did David Harris think was going to happen when he refused to accept the offer the Jets made him  ?  If he didn't know, then why is that the fault of the Jets and not his agent ? 

Show us, tell us, because we pay so we should have access to the goings -on .  I used to say "with the Jets it's always something", but I have come to realize I forgot a word .  

Nothing wrong with the Jets asking Harris to take a paycut.  Nothing wrong with Harris refusing to take a paycut.  What's wrong is that you take a well respected player and a good soldier for a decade, and you do this 3 months after the bulk of the offseason money has dried up, limiting his options and his potential for earnings and opportunities to continue his career elsewhere.  That's not how you treat someone who's done well by you for 10 years.

25 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Because eventually the money has to be spent. The money isn't saved so much as it's just moved onto the next year to be spent no matter what. Woody isn't saving money so much as Macc is allocating funds to a time when he feels it will be more useful.

The money is saved for this year. Neither player has a cap hit. It's almost 14 million in checks the owner does not have to make this year. I don't agree with the Harris move this late in the year, but make no mistake, this is about money.

15 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Nothing wrong with the Jets asking Harris to take a paycut.  Nothing wrong with Harris refusing to take a paycut.  What's wrong is that you take a well respected player and a good soldier for a decade, and you do this 3 months after the bulk of the offseason money has dried up, limiting his options and his potential for earnings and opportunities to continue his career elsewhere.  That's not how you treat someone who's done well by you for 10 years.

Harris was well paid and the Jets needed him until they found someone who they believed could be an upgrade . I heard the same garbage when Mangold was let go and he still doesn't have a Job . Revis  still doesn't have a job and Harris wasn't going to make much more than what the Jets were offering him if he was released yesterday or 3 months ago . 

Sentiment is all well and good, but the Jets are running a business, and David Harris was an asset who just wasn't worth what he was originally .  If he accepted what was common knowledge, all this fuss would never have happened and he could have retired a Jet .

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Harris was well paid and the Jets needed him until they found someone who they believed could be an upgrade . I heard the same garbage when Mangold was let go and he still doesn't have a Job . Revis  still doesn't have a job and Harris wasn't going to make much more than what the Jets were offering him if he was released yesterday or 3 months ago . 

Sentiment is all well and good, but the Jets are running a business, and David Harris was an asset who just wasn't worth what he was originally .  If he accepted what was common knowledge, all this fuss would never have happened and he could have retired a Jet .

I said the same thing earlier... But, do you actually run a business?  Because they way you treat your employees counts.  And the fact that Revis and Mangold don't have jobs today doesn't mean that the Jets should have waited with them.  They were still treated properly, while Harris wasn't.

I am disappointed to see Harris go. I think us Jets fans owe him a thank you. He quietly became one of the best tacklers in team history, was a locker room leader, never missed a practice or game when he couldn't, etc. if the Jets were to draft 22 David Harrises, we'd be Super Bowl champions.

so, thank you David Harris. You deserved better than to have one idiot coach and GM after another...

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I said the same thing earlier... But, do you actually run a business?  Because they way you treat your employees counts.  And the fact that Revis and Mangold don't have jobs today doesn't mean that the Jets should have waited with them.  They were still treated properly, while Harris wasn't.

Not to mention both Mangold and Revis carried salaries far disproportionate to their possible/likely production for the coming season (or far more so than Decker/Harris). Revis is a skill position player for whom age caught up, compounded with his documented lack of effort on the field (e.g. avoiding contact) as well as any things we didn't hear about. Mangold finished the season injured, has been getting progressively worse, and was due far more than his value. 

In contrast, Decker is a 30 year-old starting WR. Teams are offering new $10m+/yr to WRs that are a year or more older than he is. While a bit overpriced, as Harris should only be in on running downs, but a desperate team could do worse than start him all 16 games. He'll stay on the field and won't give them any off-field nonsense.

Whether or not one agrees with releasing any or all of them, they weren't done under the same circumstances (in rationalization as to why or in timing). 

1 hour ago, KRL said:

of:

- They are tanking 2017

that:

This is too reasonable of a statement to be on this site.... Please refrain from posting as the masses in here are going to eat you alive. 

40 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Cry me a f()cking river.... this is so ridiculous ... who cares... he is an overpaid millionaire that will now have his pick of teams to chose from... 

26 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Stop it.... You are talking way too much sense... People that are 'hurt' by this BS are ridiculous.... This is finally the correct way to build... start fresh... bring in Hungry Young talent to overachieve and build a culture instead of overpaid players like Harris and Decker.

2 hours ago, KRL said:

of:

- They are tanking 2017

getting cut?
 Remember the OTA's entered the competitve on the field phase recently, is it possible
that:

Yes - Due to father time Harris is no longer an effective 3 down LB in a passing league. With the acquisition of DDavis Jets get younger, more speed at ILB/MLB..Timing sucks. But the writing was on the wall with their pursuit of Hightower. 

Yes/No - Decker was released once he was cleared to go full go thus limiting any injury settlement. Hip & Shoulder surgery for a 30+ yr old WR is risky to go into the season being on the hook for $7.5m..If he were to suffer another season ending injury once regular season starts Jets would be on the hook for the full $7.5m 

I'd say in this day and age it's very difficult to make just a football decision without factoring in cap ramifications   

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

well said..the writing was on the wall w/the pursuit of Hightower, which was very public by the Jets

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Regardless, the treatment of Harris is utterly classless.

Cutting him is fine. Waiting till now to do it is soj classless mishandling.

No its exactly what the Patriots and other good organizations do.... Harris was an aging veteran that was getting overpaid.... move on .... he will live on with his MILLIONS of dollars...  They tried him out to see if he was worth the money in OTAs and found out it wasn't so they moved on... plain and simple.... This fake outrage of when and where to cut a player is ridiculous... only in the NY media... Same freaking thing just happened with Maclin... The classless thing would have been to cut Harris a day before the season (Which the Patriots, a respected organization, has done)... This, it just makes sense

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Regardless, the treatment of Harris is utterly classless.

Cutting him is fine. Waiting till now to do it is soj classless mishandling.

Maybe they had to wait until they had a potential replacement on their roster to do so. All reports had them all in on Hightower this spring, and I have a crazy feeling that if they had pulled that signing off, Harris would've been shown the door then. 

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Cry me a f()cking river.... this is so ridiculous ... who cares... he is an overpaid millionaire that will now have his pick of teams to chose from... 

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Stop it.... You are talking way too much sense... People that are 'hurt' by this BS are ridiculous.... This is finally the correct way to build... start fresh... bring in Hungry Young talent to overachieve and build a culture instead of overpaid players like Harris and Decker.

No one is crying a river, and no one is hurt.  No one even thinks cutting Harris or Decker is the wrong move for this team.  However, this team deserves plenty of criticism.  The way they handled this situation is just one example of many.

Just now, gEYno said:

No one is crying a river, and no one is hurt.  No one even thinks cutting Harris or Decker is the wrong move for this team.  However, this team deserves plenty of criticism.  The way they handled this situation is just one example of many.

Because they cut two overpaid veterans after OTAs? Or because Harris' agent leaked to the press that they were cutting Harris before he himself knew.... ?? Which part takes criticism?

23 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

No its exactly what the Patriots and other good organizations do.... Harris was an aging veteran that was getting overpaid.... move on .... he will live on with his MILLIONS of dollars...  They tried him out to see if he was worth the money in OTAs and found out it wasn't so they moved on... plain and simple.... This fake outrage of when and where to cut a player is ridiculous... only in the NY media... Same freaking thing just happened with Maclin... The classless thing would have been to cut Harris a day before the season (Which the Patriots, a respected organization, has done)... This, it just makes sense

David Harris played 154 games in a Jets uniform.  Jeremy Macklin played 27 as a Chief.  The situations are not analogous. 

Just now, gEYno said:

David Harris played 154 games in a Jets uniform.  Jeremy Macklin played 27 as a Chief.  The situations are not analogous. 

Lawyer Milloy played 10 years as a Patriot and was cut the week before the season because of a paycut... same situation.... More of a dick move.

Just now, Skeptable said:

Lawyer Milloy played 10 years as a Patriot and was cut the week before the season because of a paycut... same situation.... More of a dick move.

Anytime someone else does something that is quantifiably worse, anything else is no longer wrong.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

He played 154 games. Was slightly above average. Made about 25-30 million for his job. Got cut months before the season. He should be in church thanking God for what the jets have done for him. 

Could they have cut him earlier? Maybe. Do I care? Not even a little. I want a cut throat front office, not a front office run by snowflakes.

2 hours ago, gEYno said:

Perhaps they were doing that on purpose as a business decision. With fewer options, he was more likely to accept the cut. If not, he's a grown-up and would know that he was effectively asking to be cut. I honestly don't see the Jets "owing" any player anything other than a chance to negotiate. He had that and refused. He hasn't exactly drifted into poverty as a result of his Jets contracts. Harris was given a bloated deal anyway. That was the subject of much dissatisfaction here. Now the Jets have played hardball and the same people are crying about class and kid-gloves. I like Harris, but he needed to go.

Archived