Why did Hackenberg become a punching bag for the media?

k-met57

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you listen to her, she didn't rebut anything that was said, and in fact corroborated that Hackenberg was bad. She just offered a weird series of detached anecdotes about why Hackenberg sucking isn't a death knell, and closed with, "we should be nicer to him." 

The last honest person in media tbqh

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Jets total mishandling of the QB situation over the last 2 years has a lot to do with Hack being a punching bag.  Last year was the worst dealing with QB's I think I have ever seen.  First they over draft Hack, which started the Hmmmmmmm's.

Then the Geno/Fitz disaster,  then at the end of the season when it clearly appeared to be Hack's time to get a look, they hid him.  This just inflamed the curiosity of the media, and fans. "What are they hiding?"   The media was on the scent of a bash story which they love.

Now this season they open up OTA's with Hack on the far field with the scrubs, and give McCown 2-1 reps.  This is just begging the media to use their imaginations.  

If Hack has improved, lets see it.  If he is still as horrible as he was last summer they have to face it.  

12 hours ago, k-met57 said:

seriously, no one deserves this sh*t (well maybe Geno did). a bunch of grown men being grade school bullies. seriously we all know the exact same things about his ability to play in the NFL.

listen to this about his hitting reporters on the sideline with passes. the worst of it is that if he becomes a franchise QB, they dont even have to eat crow. just move on to someone else.

I'd like to make a first down with Kim Jones. 

53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Exactly. Easiest way for Hackenberg to kill this storyline is to go out and not suck. Kinda gross watching people try and blame a media narrative for reporting on something that's easily observable and quantifiable. 

Is it easily observable if it didn't happen - like hitting reporters on the sideline. I prefer to let my own eyes make the judgement rather than relying on a reporter trying to spin a story. 

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you listen to her, she didn't rebut anything that was said, and in fact corroborated that Hackenberg was bad. She just offered a weird series of detached anecdotes about why Hackenberg sucking isn't a death knell, and closed with, "we should be nicer to him." 

uh..no she didn't..and this just proves her point...

20 minutes ago, flgreen said:

The Jets total mishandling of the QB situation over the last 2 years has a lot to do with Hack being a punching bag.  Last year was the worst dealing with QB's I think I have ever seen.  First they over draft Hack, which started the Hmmmmmmm's.

Then the Geno/Fitz disaster,  then at the end of the season when it clearly appeared to be Hack's time to get a look, they hid him.  This just inflamed the curiosity of the media, and fans. "What are they hiding?"   The media was on the scent of a bash story which they love.

Now this season they open up OTA's with Hack on the far field with the scrubs, and give McCown 2-1 reps.  This is just begging the media to use their imaginations.  

If Hack has improved, lets see it.  If he is still as horrible as he was last summer they have to face it.  

there are so many holes in that argument...

1. hack should have never played at the end of the year last year - dumb to put him out there with a makeshift OL and veterans checked out

2. Geno/Fitz thing is what it is, nothing to do with Hack...horrible as it was. they always said he wouldnt play...hell he didnt even play in the preseason

3. why wouldnt McCown get 2-1 reps in OTA's? why would you "give" a 22 year old anything? you start them behind in OTA's and you make them earn it, u show the team that you are making them earn it. it amazes me how people take everything at face value. lets see who is getting the reps in preseason before making these kinds of judgements

27 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Yep. This is correct. Well that and the fact Hackenburgh sucks till he doesn't. 

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

And if he does poorly there, we can all agree it doesn't count.

Actually, doesn't count much. Just gradual accumulation of evidence toward an assessment. You seem absolutely hell-bent on being proved right that he's a bust. I know i'll get the obligatory snarky response, but putting over-used sarcasm aside, we don't have enough to make a judgment.

12 hours ago, k-met57 said:

seriously, no one deserves this sh*t (well maybe Geno did). a bunch of grown men being grade school bullies. seriously we all know the exact same things about his ability to play in the NFL.

listen to this about his hitting reporters on the sideline with passes. the worst of it is that if he becomes a franchise QB, they dont even have to eat crow. just move on to someone else.

good points by the reporter even though she said he was taken first overall in the 2016 draft.  regardless, it does seem like some of the criticism is unwarranted.  see what he does in training camp and the pre season before passing judgement.  imo the reporters are picking on hack because the jets are doing their best to keep a lid on leaks and press access so they all pile onto what is the weakest point of the team, qb.  it would be great if hack shuts them all up.

and shelly doesn't need to say things like the qb job is between petty and mccown.  imo he thinks hack is "special" and is being given all sorts of breaks whereas petty and mccown have worked hard to be qb. i don't think his perception is true but it could be very damaging if he keeps his mouth running like that.

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Is it easily observable if it didn't happen - like hitting reporters on the sideline. I prefer to let my own eyes make the judgement rather than relying on a reporter trying to spin a story. 

What is the shape of the earth, and how do you know it?

Just now, rangerous said:

good points by the reporter even though she said he was taken first overall in the 2016 draft.  regardless, it does seem like some of the criticism is unwarranted.  see what he does in training camp and the pre season before passing judgement.  imo the reporters are picking on hack because the jets are doing their best to keep a lid on leaks and press access so they all pile onto what is the weakest point of the team, qb.  it would be great if hack shuts them all up.

and shelly doesn't need to say things like the qb job is between petty and mccown.  imo he thinks hack is "special" and is being given all sorts of breaks whereas petty and mccown have worked hard to be qb. i don't think his perception is true but it could be very damaging if he keeps his mouth running like that.

Kim said, "drafted 51st overall"

4 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

there are so many holes in that argument...

1. hack should have never played at the end of the year last year - dumb to put him out there with a makeshift OL and veterans checked out

2. Geno/Fitz thing is what it is, nothing to do with Hack...horrible as it was. they always said he wouldnt play...hell he didnt even play in the preseason

3. why wouldnt McCown get 2-1 reps in OTA's? why would you "give" a 22 year old anything? you start them behind in OTA's and you make them earn it, u show the team that you are making them earn it. it amazes me how people take everything at face value. lets see who is getting the reps in preseason before making these kinds of judgements

LOHE:

137. He's just 22.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Please, elucidate. And show your work. Thx.

"ball hit the ground on an out pattern".."It's not as if Hack was throwing balls all over the place"...."when you start making assumptions off OTAs you need to look at yourself in the mirror"..

Where are the reports of McCown and Petty's throws hitting the ground?  If neither has thrown one that hit the ground yet then the Jets QB problem has been solved. 

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

If he comes out and plays slightly mariginally remotely competently the narrative will change instantly. 

The narrative may change, but the naysayers will be lying in wait for the first bad pass/interception etc... to inject their agendas again.

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

The narrative may change, but the naysayers will be lying in wait for the first bad pass/interception etc... to inject their agendas again.

Yes. They will jump on the bandwagon licking their chops waiting for it to crash and burn. 

8 minutes ago, C Mart said:

"ball hit the ground on an out pattern".."It's not as if Hack was throwing balls all over the place"...."when you start making assumptions off OTAs you need to look at yourself in the mirror"..

Where are the reports of McCown and Petty's throws hitting the ground?  If neither has thrown one that hit the ground yet then the Jets QB problem has been solved. 

Again, not a refutation of anything that was said negatively about Hackenberg. The only thing she even tried to contradict was reports that management has soured on Hackenberg, which is obviously "cool story bro" territory, particularly in light of the timing of dumping Harris and Decker as part of a full-on tank for a QB next year.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Exactly. Easiest way for Hackenberg to kill this storyline is to go out and not suck. Kinda gross watching people try and blame a media narrative for reporting on something that's easily observable and quantifiable. 

Did you also just want to ignore the part where she said it's OTAs which are for learning a new offense? Not stats? No? Just want to ignore that i'm sure. 

It's kinda gross watching fans sitting here eager to be right about a player they thought will suck. He's 22 learning a new offense and played a game and a half in preseason. But you can't wait to be right. This is why Jet fans need the number 1 pick. We need the most polished QB out of college because they need zero growing pains.

Just now, MDL_JET said:

Did you also just want to ignore the part where she said it's OTAs which are for learning a new offense? Not stats? No? Just want to ignore that i'm sure. 

It's kinda gross watching fans sitting here eager to be right about a player they thought will suck. He's 22 learning a new offense and played a game and a half in preseason. But you can't wait to be right. This is why Jet fans need the number 1 pick. We need the most polished QB out of college because they need zero growing pains.

Hackenberg has been playing quarterback his entire life. We're talking about his inability to complete basic pass patterns in practice. That has nothing to do with learning a new offense. 

Hackenberg has been playing quarterback his entire life. We're talking about his inability to complete basic pass patterns in practice. That has nothing to do with learning a new offense. 

No , not at all . Basically the QB throws the ball runs the pattern and catches it himself - playbook and routes be damned. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

Oh okay, so he can't throw an incomplete pass? 

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

No , not at all . Basically the QB throws the ball runs the pattern and catches it himself - playbook and routes be damned. 

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

Oh okay, so he can't throw an incomplete pass? 

Fellas. Consider how low your bar is right now. 

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

All Qbs, picked #1 or #250, are going to have growing pains...Eli sat half his rookie season, still struggled and this was after he played 4 yrs in college...Luck, Peyton, the list goes on..Maybe Marino is the only QB that I can remember that didn't...

It's not low, it's not being eager for a player to fail. Inability to throw a basic pass pattern? Did he miss every other throw too? He completed a TD pass to Decker no? Pretty sure that's a basic pass. Pretty sure McCown and Petty didn't go 13 for 13 in practices either. Not even trying to defend him, he has issues to work on. But are we really debating missed throws in f'n OTAs??

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My bar is open super early each and every Sunday during football season - its how I cope. 

As far as Hack goes, all I want is for him to be given a real chance , if he still sucks then we're on to the next QB. I just don't want the team to half evaluate a player like they did with Geno , either give him a full season or cut him now. 

13 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Simple because they know the fans will eat this sh*t up, and they will get instant clicks.

You don't potential ruin a young kid's future before it even begins for clicks.  Gotta have some sort of morals at some point.

12 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Is any of this a surprise, in today's world of fake news.  Controversy sells more papers and gets more viewers than being positive. Also Hackenberg represents a lot of things the media hates, namely:

1. He's a Jet 
  2. He's from Penn State
  3. He's a clean cut middle, or upper middle class white kid
  4. He makes more than most in the media do 

Any one of those things are justification for him to be a punching bag, but four of them together is a mortal sin in their eyes.

They'll never be satisfied with anything he does and our hyper critical self-loathing fan base falls right line with them.

I love the Jets, but hate all the crap that surrounds them.

Same here they're always surrounded by drama it's really unfortunate.  I for one am fine with the kid and I'll give him the time he deserves to learn the NFL game and hopefully continue to progress.  Some take longer to adjust to the speed of the NFL game.  It just sucks that in NY these poor kids, especially QBs, have to be NFL ready and ready to start as soon as they get drafted.  

I'm okay with the rebuild it has to be done.  If we crap the bed this season which is most likely going to be the case then fine draft one of these QBs and go into 2018-19 season with Darnold or Rosen with Hackenberg and QB3 as backups and see what happens.

Archived