Why did Hackenberg become a punching bag for the media?

k-met57

Problem with the hack and media is the jets keeping him such a mystery. The media feels free to run their articles only on what they know and that's his college performance. So something like OTA's come around and he throws some off passes to rookies who could completely be contributing to these errant throws the media jump all over it. They really have nothing else to go on and really a feel nice story for the jets just does not work for them. I fully agree Hack needs to step it up and give a full sample serving of competency to stop the bleeding. I think he can do it but it does not matter what I think or anyone on this site thinks. If the jets CS sees starter material we will see him this year. There have been alot of FQB that sucked their first year and turned it around after they got their feet wet. I'm hoping hack does the same.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

And being picked in the 2nd round with a 4th round body of work and to date not so hot performances in TC have nothing to do with it.

I'll admit if he was outstanding in camp he wouldn't have been massacred like this. Also the fact that he was redshirted for a year doesn't help, but that was the Jets plan all along.  Clearly they saw something in CH that they could mold him into a good QB.  4th round valuation is all speculation,  he was if I recall the 3rd highest rated QB in the 2016 draft, after Goff and Wentz.

The kid has prototypical size and skills and comes from a pro offense, his shortcoming are consistency which he'll need to develop over time.  Give him some time.

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

Did you also just want to ignore the part where she said it's OTAs which are for learning a new offense? Not stats? No? Just want to ignore that i'm sure. 

It's kinda gross watching fans sitting here eager to be right about a player they thought will suck. He's 22 learning a new offense and played a game and a half in preseason. But you can't wait to be right. This is why Jet fans need the number 1 pick. We need the most polished QB out of college because they need zero growing pains.

This is his second year in the NFL and he can't even throw.

19 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

Same here they're always surrounded by drama it's really unfortunate.  I for one am fine with the kid and I'll give him the time he deserves to learn the NFL game and hopefully continue to progress.  Some take longer to adjust to the speed of the NFL game.  It just sucks that in NY these poor kids, especially QBs, have to be NFL ready and ready to start as soon as they get drafted.  

I'm okay with the rebuild it has to be done.  If we crap the bed this season which is most likely going to be the case then fine draft one of these QBs and go into 2018-19 season with Darnold or Rosen with Hackenberg and QB3 as backups and see what happens.

The expectation is that they are NFL ready, but it rarely happens and if you look at most of the top QBs, they didn't start their first year, or were just plain bad.  Rare are the Dak Prescotts and Carson Wentzs.  Brady, Rodgers.are examples of guys who had to wait their turn.  Bree's and Fabre were traded by the teams that drafted them.  Manning took a couple of years to adjust to the league.  Cousins ended up being better than the QB the Redskins drafted in the first round. At the end of the day it's a crap shoot, let's hope that CH is on an upward trajectory.

im ok with rebuild too,  I'm more concerned with the coach than the players.  We have an opportunity to shape a young talented team, but last year we couldn't even get our vets to play their position, especially on defense.

14 hours ago, k-met57 said:

seriously, no one deserves this sh*t (well maybe Geno did). a bunch of grown men being grade school bullies. seriously we all know the exact same things about his ability to play in the NFL.

listen to this about his hitting reporters on the sideline with passes. the worst of it is that if he becomes a franchise QB, they dont even have to eat crow. just move on to someone else.

This happens because we allow it with guys like Geno. 

Favoritism doesn't work.

2 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Actually, doesn't count much. Just gradual accumulation of evidence toward an assessment. You seem absolutely hell-bent on being proved right that he's a bust. I know i'll get the obligatory snarky response, but putting over-used sarcasm aside, we don't have enough to make a judgment.

How's the evidence stacking up so far

14 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

CSI was brought in , scrubbed the sideline for reporter blood - none to be found. Based on divots they placed strings plotting the trajectory on the throws , ruled out any possibility of reporters being hit directly. Hackenberg was set free due to lack of evidence .

via Cimini:

10. Confessions of a sideline reporter: Yep, I was the guy who encountered a Hackenberg pass last week at practice. With a phone in one hand and a notebook in the other, I was able to use my forearm to block a low sideline pass that hit damp grass and skipped like a stone on water. End of story. Can we stop the hysteria, please?

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69269/unlikeliest-sb-lii-matchup-jets-vs-49ers-and-you-wont-believe-the-odds

15 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Its all up to Hack. Do something on the field and shut them up. Its that simple. If and thats a mighty big IF Hack can be a serviceable QB in this league those same guys will be kissing his AZZ.

Being that even Hack is more accurate than people realize, I'd suggest he zip a rocket pass into the nutsack of a reporter he catches not paying attention on the sideline. Then he can just shrug and say "I'm inaccurate" afterwards

Blame the new york jets football team for this.  They have done everything possible for a team to make a guy look like a huge bust.

Put forth a baloney, we were going to red shirt him from day one narrative.

Have a lame duck oc and make zero attempt to make the player better in his 'red shirt' year.

Refuse to give him any game time even when the team was out of it and riddled with Qb injuries.

Put forth a blatant lie that this year it is an open Qb competition.  Hack get stuck on the kiddies field as the #3 guy on the 1st day of mini camp.  Mccown gets double the number of 1st team reps than the incumbents get.

Toss out very faint praise about the player.

Then there is the player himself, he has shown nothing to suggest he is a good prospect, whether he is as bad as the reporters are harping on he has done nothing to make them shut up.

Whether he or anyone else likes it he was a 2nd round pick not a 6th rounder.  And the blasting of Hackenburg?  It's less about the player himself than the reporters putting tyhe screws to the team management as they should.

The longer he is hidden away in the closet the worse it will get.  

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I'll let you know at the end of pre-season, when there should actually be some evidence to form an opinion. If the evidence is damning, I'll be the first to say so. I have no ties to Penn State, thought the pick was two rounds too soon, at least, and was a clear reclamation project. Those usually don't go well, but the flip side is that he actually looked good as a freshman at Penn St. If you asked me the odds, I'd be 2 to 1 against this working out, but there simply isn't enough data from his almost non-existent NFL career to make any definitive statements.

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The "give him a chancers" sound like me talking about Vernon Gholston circa 2009. At least that guy could bench press. 

It's worth remembering that almost all of the crappy guys the Jets have drafted just in the last decade or so, from Clemens to Gholston to Sanchez to Coples to Geno, were all really good (in some cases great) college players. That doesn't make them great or even good pro prospects, but at least it's something. Hackenberg's college career was for sh*t.

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Hackenberg's college career was for sh*t.

Excited for a bunch of people who need help wiping themselves to charge in here and explain that actually Hackenberg was great in college, and any issues he had were the result of a poor offensive line and poor skill position talent and poor coaching, as if those aren't three of the five biggest problems facing the Jets right now

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Excited for a bunch of people who need help wiping themselves to charge in here and explain that actually Hackenberg was great in college, and any issues he had were the result of a poor offensive line and poor skill position talent and poor coaching, as if those aren't three of the five biggest problems facing the Jets right now

Dude, you've gone full blown troll mode, shame....

3 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Dude, you've gone full blown troll mode, shame....

and just like pats*fantx his trolling has become so predictable and boring you have to wonder what the hell he gets out of it anymore

22 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

Wow I could not have said that better myself.  I never disliked Kimberly Jones but now I'm a fan of hers for calling out all these loser reporters who jump and exaggerate on anything they can.  The poor kid has done nothing wrong and consistently gets sh*tted on.  The kid is 22 years old give him a break.  He didn't ask to get picked in the 2nd round.  Saddest part of all of this is if he was picked in the 5th round no one would be saying a thing about him.  Let him learn.

Simple.....

Image result for clapping gif

6 hours ago, dbatesman said:

You lost Larz with this one. I don't want you to get down about it.

I actually do find it a little bizarre that a 3rd string Qb who has never taken a down in the NFL is even on the media's radar.  That said, I think it's very safe to say that the reports who cover the Jets, 100% guaranteed get their material from this site or other similar sites. Just look at what they report, it's all the sh*t that we argue over daily here.  Just pick a topic with a ton of pages and posts and BOOM! instant interest and hits from Jets fans. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I actually do find it a little bizarre that a 3rd string Qb who has never taken a down in the NFL is even on the media's radar.  That said, I think it's very safe to say that the reports who cover the Jets, 100% guaranteed get their material from this site or other similar sites. Just look at what they report, it's all the sh*t that we argue over daily here.  Just pick a topic with a ton of pages and posts and BOOM! instant interest and hits from Jets fans. 

We hired Mike Maccagnan to get us a Super Bowl.

In order to get to a Super Bowl, Mike Maccagnan needs to hire a quarterback.

The quarterback Mike Maccagnan hired to get us to a Super Bowl is Christian Hackenberg. 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We hired Mike Maccagnan to get us a Super Bowl.

In order to get to a Super Bowl, Mike Maccagnan needs to hire a quarterback.

The quarterback Mike Maccagnan hired to get us to a Super Bowl is Christian Hackenberg. 

Why is this not the case for Bryce Petty? 

Archived