NY Jets fail to trade Eric Decker: released by team

JustInFudge

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Jets-Release-WR-Eric-Decker-/faa69091-0180-464e-b8c5-04bfe01026b5

After GM Mike Maccagnan announced that Eric Deckericon-article-link.gif’s departure was imminent, the Jets have released the veteran receiver.

“We think very highly of Eric. Our focus right now is seeing our young players, how they do,” said Maccagnan earlier this week. “We wish Eric, going forward, a lot of success.”

Over the past couple of days, the Jets attempted to facilitate a trade involving Decker.

“You never know how this is going to unfold,” Maccagnan said on Tuesday “Sometimes trades happen after word gets out. But again, from our standpoint, we want to make sure we are clear with Eric where we are headed and give him an opportunity.”

Limited to three games last season, Decker was placed on injured reserve on October 12 before undergoing hip and shoulder surgeries. The 6’3”, 214-pound Decker returned to the team’s offseason program as a full participant.

“I want to thank Eric Decker for his contributions to the New York Jets over the past three seasons,” said Jets CEO Woody Johnson. “While with us, he was a competitive, productive, and dependable receiver who represented the team well both on and off the field. On behalf of the organization, I wish him the best as he continues his career.”

Thank you @nyjets for the opportunity the last 3 years! I truly made some great memories and friendships that will last forever!

The savvy route runner who played his first four professional seasons with the Denver Broncs, Decker inked a free agent deal with Jets on March 13, 2014. His first two years were marked my production as Decker paced his new club with 74 receptions, 962 receiving yards and five touchdown receptions. Then in 2015, Decker had 80 receptions for 1,027 yards and 12 touchdowns. His 10 scoring grabs inside the red zone set a Jets’ single-season record.

A third-round pick of the Broncos in the 2010 NFL Draft, Decker is entering his eighth NFL season. The Minnesota product’s career stats include 385 receptions, 5,253 receiving yards and 74 touchdowns. 

tempD_E_AP872998710986_57--nfl_mezz_1280
slideshow-icon.png
VIEW GALLERY | 45 Photos
Top Photos of Eric Decker as a Jet

With Decker’s release, the Jets have a roster with only four players over the age 30. The Green & White have 13 wideouts, a young group that includes Quincy Enunwaicon-article-link.gif and Robby Andersonicon-article-link.gif and a pair of draft picks in ArDarius Stewarticon-article-link.gif (D3, Alabama) and Chad Hansenicon-article-link.gif (D4, California). 

“It’s going to be a competitive roster. There are going to be a lot of opportunities for a lot of players on this roster and that will play itself out over time,” Maccagnan said. “But again, we are doing things that we feel that are going to help this organization both short and long-term.”

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

wow wonder why we couldnt trade him? maybe because big mac said he was either going to trade or cut him.  this franchise is exhausting. 

I'm sure they tried a silent trade, but then had a fire sale as a last ditch effort.

Suppose teams don't want an expensive, injury prone, little brat that'll hold out if his buddy doesn't get signed.  Who woulda thought it?

1 minute ago, MaxAF said:

So the Jets got absolutely nothing for the best WR on the team????? :huh:

Was his 5-6 million dollar salary really going to sink the team this year?????

Good Grief.

$7.25M in 2017 and $7.5M in 2018.  No dead money if cut.  Had two surgeries and missed 13/16 games last year.

Just now, Mike135 said:

I'm sure they tried a silent trade, but then had a fire sale as a last ditch effort.

Suppose teams down want an expensive, injury prone, little brat that'll hold out if his buddy doesn't get signed.  Who woulda thought it?

get the brat part but i bet he will be scooped up quickly. when on the field he can play we could of at least got a 5-7 rounder

1 minute ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

get the brat part but i bet he will be scooped up quickly. when on the field he can play we could of at least got a 5-7 rounder

Agreed.  He'll get picked up quickly.  Just not for the 7mil+ he was gonna make this year.  Too much of an injury risk and headache for that cost.

If healthy and keeps his mouth shut, sure.  But he hasn't been and he doesn't.  So he gets cut and makes less money.

So the 30 year old Decker would have cost Baltimore a conditional 5th, 6th or 7th round pick plus $7.25M in 2017 and an optional $7.5M in 2018 with no dead money if cut.  Instead they sign the 29 year old Maclin to a 2-year deal.  The money Maclin got has not yet been disclosed, but I am oh so curious if it rivals the Decker money or is less and how much, if any of it, would be guaranteed for 2018.  

The non-trade issue was teams i.e Ravens most likely wanted the Jets to eat some of the 7M+ with the trade(This was reported). Jets will take cap hit of 3M regardless (1.5M each of the next 2 years) since he is cut, or 3M completely this year if traded. So, if a trade would have occurred and the trade partner wanted a few Million of the 7M for the Jets to eat it could have been 5M+ the Jets eating just to trade him for like a 6th or 7th round pick. Probably not a good deal, which is why it didn't occur. We go with the younger WRs and hopefully grrom them to play, catch the ball consistently, and keep their mouths shut in cases like the Fitz deal where players should let the top people make the decisions and not get involved.

No one was trading for an injury plagued 30 year old WR everyone already knew we weren't keeping long before Macc opened his yap.

Set of luck Egg Decker. Now let's see w!if our kids are as good as some of you folks have been claiming. 

18 minutes ago, Dcat said:

$7.25M in 2017 and $7.5M in 2018.  No dead money if cut.  Had two surgeries and missed 13/16 games last year.

he missed a game or two in 2014 also. basically at 7.5 m per season he was grossly overpaid. in realistic terms, how many additional passes would he catch than the combination of enunwa, peake, anderson, forte, powell, etc?  maybe 10?  if 10 caught passes makes or breaks the jets season they have other problems more pressing.

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

he missed a game or two in 2014 also. basically at 7.5 m per season he was grossly overpaid. in realistic terms, how many additional passes would he catch than the combination of enunwa, peake, anderson, forte, powell, etc?  maybe 10?  if 10 caught passes makes or breaks the jets season they have other problems more pressing.

Hey, I'm all for the tear-down.  I wanted Decker gone for one main reason: his participation and support for the little Fitzpatrick cabal that added to the disruption in the locker room.  Instead of being a leader or leading by example, the veteran Decker joined in to the kindergarten antics willingly and happily. F-him. Bye.  Very good player, but no longer medically reliable, if he ever really was, and just not worth it.  People here like him, sure.  I did too.  But lets be real people...  Eric Decker was no leader and I don't think they wanted him around anymore with the above average injury risk.

two teams that are not mentioned would be great fits for decker

the pats and steelers

steelers could use a character guy and somebody besides ab that big ben can count on week in week out

pats-he would fit in great there too

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Hey, I'm all for the tear-down.  I wanted Decker gone for one main reason: his participation and support for the little Fitzpatrick cabal that added to the disruption in the locker room.  Instead of being a leader or leading by example, the veteran Decker joined in to the kindergarten antics willingly and happily. F-him. Bye.  Very good player, but no longer medically reliable, if he ever really was, and just not worth it.  People here like him, sure.  I did too.  But lets be real people...  Eric Decker was no leader and I don't think they wanted him around anymore with the above average injury risk.

i wouldn't go that far on the whole fitz support.  he wasn't half as vocal as marshall.  we'll also never know how much decker's injury contributed to the jets offensive problems.  you know they had to. nevertheless, last season was last season and he just didn't fit into the jets plans for this season.

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

i wouldn't go that far on the whole fitz support.  he wasn't half as vocal as marshall.  we'll also never know how much decker's injury contributed to the jets offensive problems.  you know they had to. nevertheless, last season was last season and he just didn't fit into the jets plans for this season.

I think the decision to let him go was made a while ago and they waited to avoid having an injury settlement.  And the entire 53 man roster collectively is not as vocal as Marshall on any topic at all.  Marshall makes Bart Scott look taciturn out there. 

11 minutes ago, kmnj said:

the pats and steelers

steelers could use a character guy and somebody besides ab that big ben can count on week in week out

I think both teams have plenty of depth at wr. If there was an injury....

9 minutes ago, kmnj said:

the pats and steelers

But see that's the issue with Decker. He is NOT a character guy. No he is not going to have on field issues but I am convinced he is not a good character guy in the locker room AT ALL and that is the reason he was cut pretty much the second he was healthy. Cutting Harris and Decker were both solid moves that have nothing to do with tanking.

All told, the Jets have released or traded 11 veterans this offseason, a total of $68 million is savings. They released popular linebacker David Harris last week on the same day they informed Decker of his imminent departure.

With Decker gone, the Jets' top two receivers are Quincy Enunwa and Robby Anderson, who have a combined total of 122 career catches. Rookies ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen -- drafted in the third and fourth rounds, respectively -- figure to see significant playing time.

:huh: BRUTAL 2017 awaits . . . . 

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No one was trading for an injury plagued 30 year old WR everyone already knew we weren't keeping long before Macc opened his yap.

Set of luck Egg Decker. Now let's see w!if our kids are as good as some of you folks have been claiming. 

Disagree. But going with your theory, shouldn't have Maccagnan realized what you're saying and not attempted this charade of trying to trade him?

4 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Disagree. But going with your theory, shouldn't have Maccagnan realized what you're saying and not attempted this charade of trying to trade him?

That is the frustrating part and what comes across as amateurish IMO. If you sincerely want to trade a player - KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT! don't show your cards. 

Don't blurt it out to the press or his agents, today's social media world spills the beans before they're even cooked, and led to Mac bargaining from a weakened position. This HAS to be Woody's doing due to the poor timing of these last 2 transactions, otherwise I too have lost faith in Mac's capacity to steer the ship right with some of these decisions lately. 

50 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

wow wonder why we couldnt trade him? maybe because big mac said he was either going to trade or cut him.  this franchise is exhausting. 

How many wr's get traded coming off an offseason where they had not 1 but 2 surgeries. Imagine the rhetoric if the Jets traded anything for a guy with two surgeries. Hell they're hearing about it for signing a FA  Beachum who was injured in 2015. Jet fans are exhausting. 

52 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

There is no young receiver on this team that compares to Decker. So their excuse for giving the young receivers a chance is a crock. 

How about ASJ . He can be the redzone target that Decker was . 

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

How many wr's get traded coming off an offseason where they had not 1 but 2 surgeries. Imagine the rhetoric if the Jets traded anything for a guy with two surgeries. Hell they're hearing about it for signing a FA  Beachum who was injured in 2015. Jet fans are exhausting. 

fair but the fact that our gm made it public that he was going to cut decker if not traded is dumb. just shut your mouth macc 

Archived