NY Jets fail to trade Eric Decker: released by team

JustInFudge

6 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Disagree. But going with your theory, shouldn't have Maccagnan realized what you're saying and not attempted this charade of trying to trade him?

What makes it a charade?  They let it be known Decker was available for trade.  Probably after trying to do it behind the scenes for a while.

No takers, so he was released.

I see no charade.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Larz said:

The bigger story is literally nobody has jumped on any of the cuts as starters 

The top end of the roster was seen as garbage OVERPAID at their current Salaries by the league 

Fixed.

So what's our cap situation now?  For 2017 and 2018.

Damn, just imagine getting a top 3 pick, letting our young guys (Safeties, LBs, WRs, oline) develop and then be heading into 2018 with a new young stud QB and plenty of cap space for a flashy FA or 3.

Just keep thinking 2018.

12 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Disagree. But going with your theory, shouldn't have Maccagnan realized what you're saying and not attempted this charade of trying to trade him?

I think it was correctly presumed out there by most, press included, that nothing with Decker was going to happen until he had medical clearance.  I'm sure negotiations with Baltimore and any other teams had already been initiated and it came to no one's surprise.  Can't blame Baltimore.  I'd choose Maclin over Decker hands down.  

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Damn, just imagine getting a top 3 pick, letting our young guys (Safeties, LBs, WRs, oline) develop and then be heading I to 2018 with a new young stud QB and plenty of cap space for a flashy FA or 3.

Just keep thinking 2018.

it's all we got at this point.  Dipping to Kotite level of low.  Cant fkcu up the 2018 draft Mac... you just can't.  

8 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Damn, just imagine getting a top 3 pick, letting our young guys (Safeties, LBs, WRs, oline) develop and then be heading into 2018 with a new young stud QB and plenty of cap space for a flashy FA or 3.

Just keep thinking 2018.

$16M+ in 2017

$80+ MILLION in 2018

$133+Million in 2019

$165+Million in 2020

by 2019, if all things stay the same, the Top Paid players would be:

DE Mo @ $18.5M

OT Kelvin Beachum @ $9.5M (he won't last to see that $$)

RG Brian Winters @ $6.5M

ILB Darron Lee @ $3.25M

S MArcus Maye @ $1.7M

Leo's contract is up in 2018 at $5.9M

Jets have NO long term $ tied up on ANYONE. Mo is expendable prior to the 3rd day of 2018 where he can be cut w/no guaranteed money or a $16.75M which is guaranteed after the 3rd day of the 2018 season 

8 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Just keep thinking 2018.

Flashy free agents almost universally suck balls. The next time the Jets should sign a flash FA is....never.

19 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

What makes it a charade?  They let it be known Decker was available for trade.  Probably after trying to do it behind the scenes for a while.

No takers, so he was released.

I see no charade.

much ado about nothing.  The league knew that Decker was a dead man walking.  I can find no compelling reason why the Jets should have kept him.  An injury risk on the wrong side of 30 for $7.5 million?  For what?  Target the kids.  Lets see what they got.  If only there was a QB.  But if there was, most of these cuts wouldn't have been made.  Still, if I'm Stewart, Hansen, Peake or Anderson, I'd be salivating to get to work.  Same for ASJ.  2017 is a season long spring training.  Yay!

54 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

There is no young receiver on this team that compares to Decker. So their excuse for giving the young receivers a chance is a crock. 

I think it was a big mistake to let Decker go. Too many young guys on roster that don't run proper routes and have zero knowledge of the WCO.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

much ado about nothing.  The league knew that Decker was a dead man walking.  I can find no compelling reason why the Jets should have kept him.  An injury risk on the wrong side of 30 for $7.5 million?  For what?  Target the kids.  Lets see what they got.  If only there was a QB.  But if there was, most of these cuts wouldn't have been made.  Still, if I'm Stewart, Hansen, Peake or Anderson, I'd be salivating to get to work.  Same for ASJ.  2017 is a season long spring training.  Yay!

Exactly, and I for one am much more excited to see this upcoming season than I was last year.

10 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

$16M+ in 2017

$80+ MILLION in 2018

$133+Million in 2019

$165+Million in 2020

Looking at overthecap, I don't think that takes Decker into account.  We may be around 90 million next season!  Combined with almost inevitable good draft positioning and a whole season to develop young guys w/o any pressure?...

Yeah I'm psyched for the future.  First time in a while.

Cheers Macc!

Just now, Mike135 said:

Looking at overthecap, I don't think that takes Decker into account.  We may be around 90 million next season!  Combined with almost inevitable good draft positioning and a whole season to develop young guys w/o any pressure?...

Yeah I'm psyched for the future.  First time in a while.

Cheers Macc!

you are correct it doesn't. I took him into account which bumps us up for like $73M to $80M in 2018

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

I think it was correctly presumed out there by most, press included, that nothing with Decker was going to happen until he had medical clearance.  I'm sure negotiations with Baltimore and any other teams had already been initiated and it came to no one's surprise.  Can't blame Baltimore.  I'd choose Maclin over Decker hands down.  

Yeah, that explains the long waiting time to pull the trigger.

Announcing that he would be cut but might be traded seems off at first since one would think they would have more leverage if there was the tiniest possibility of us keeping him, that's certainly the conventional wisdom... but that might have been a moot point in the end. 

So lets say he lets out feelers that he wants to trade Decker after EVERY other cost cutting move he's made thus far. Wouldn't it be assumed by most GM's that he was likely to be cut anyway? Who are we fooling- "He's getting cut or being traded!"

In the end the attraction for a trade here was securing the services of a good WR on a non-committal two year deal for half the price of most elite guys anyway. Free Agent Maclin made that idea less enticing.

7 hours ago, MaxAF said:

So the Jets got absolutely nothing for the best WR on the team????? :huh:

Was his 5-6 million dollar salary really going to sink the team this year?????

Good Grief.

Yea really. But the 6 for mcclown is ok. 

Wtf we went from promising wrs group to another question mark

6 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Yeah, that explains the long waiting time to pull the trigger.

Announcing that he would be cut but might be traded seems off at first since one would think they would have more leverage if there was the tiniest possibility of us keeping him, that's certainly the conventional wisdom... but that might have been a moot point in the end. 

So lets say he lets out feelers that he wants to trade Decker after EVERY other cost cutting move he's made thus far. Wouldn't it be assumed by most GM's that he was likely to be cut anyway? Who are we fooling- "He's getting cut or being traded!"

In the end the attraction for a trade here was securing the services of a good WR on a non-committal two year deal for half the price of most elite guys anyway. Free Agent Maclin made that idea less enticing.

Exactly. Even if he didn't make it public, the second he reaches out to teams to gauge interest the same effect will happen. 

This is what you do when you're tanking.   You dump overpaid veterans.

I still cannot believe how many dimwitted fans are upset by these moves.  They really would rather go 5-11 than 2-14 with a chance at the #1 overall pick in a top-heavy QB draft.

There is a strong likelihood Decker wanted nothing to do with a lousy team with an awful QB situation anyway.

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Green Bay or New England? What NFL team that loves white receivers does he end up on?

I think there are lots of good fits; Falcons, Panthers, Saints, Redskins, Cowboys, Bengals, Chiefs, Titans, Ravens, Texans, Colts, Bills.... maybe even  the Rams(doubt ED would go there but SoCal enticing to some).

Seahawks seem like good fit until further review.  ED is a timing guy, not a fly by seat of pants improviser with  Russell Wilson.

Funny; two places I doubt he goes are NE and GB.

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

How about ASJ . He can be the redzone target that Decker was . 

He's a tight end and so far has not been a stand out. Like the other guys he has talent.  We have Q who is proven but the other guys are higher draft picks or UFAs. I thought Robby and Peake were good last year but not in Decker's class. Sure we have depth but not unproven depth. All teams have that. 

20 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

This is what you do when you're tanking.   You dump overpaid veterans.

I still cannot believe how many dimwitted fans are upset by these moves.  They really would rather go 5-11 than 2-14 with a chance at the #1 overall pick in a top-heavy QB draft.

There is a strong likelihood Decker wanted nothing to do with a lousy team with an awful QB situation anyway.

Can't be that he fought for Fitz last year !!!

2 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

wow wonder why we couldnt trade him? maybe because big mac said he was either going to trade or cut him.  this franchise is exhausting. 

I'm not a Mac basher but.....

This move standing alone, has to be one of the dumbest moves in Jets history.....

That is announcing to the world that you were going to release someone and then wondering why you can't orchestrate a trade....

This is what it feels like following this team sometimes...

200.webp#18-grid1

GOOD GRIEF!!!

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

The Harris and Decker cuts have Woody's grubby little fingerprints all over them.

Correct.

No one should be blaming Mac for this. I have long been resistant to all the chatter about Woody being a bad owner, thinking of how willing he has been to open his checkbook. But now, the cutting of Harris and Decker have convinced me otherwise.

Even if we allow for the fact that Woody seems to have decided to tank, there is no excuse (except misguided stupidity) to let these two players go. They would have helped the young players on both sides of the ball grow into the NFL. Now there is no one except Josh McCown, who has no previous history with the Jets. He will certainly provide some leadership and guidance, but who will set the example for all the young receivers on the team? Who will set the example for all the young defensive players?

Bad move Woody. Mac and Bowles are helpless in this.

1 minute ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

How many are left from the Idzik regime?  19 draft picks and ?? FA's

Carpenter, Enunwa, Winters, Richardson, Dex and Doz on bubble

Marcus Williams was his best UDFA "find"

24 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I'm not a Mac basher but.....

This move standing alone, has to be one of the dumbest moves in Jets history.....

That is announcing to the world that you were going to release someone and then wondering why you can't orchestrate a trade....

This is what it feels like following this team sometimes...

200.webp#18-grid1

GOOD GRIEF!!!

And the same can be said about the other two GM's that would have been involved had it not been leaked.

the one who trades for an aging, injury riddled...not to mention, off of HIP, yes HHIIPP surgery.

and then there's the other GM...the one that also gets a paycheck as a WR but decides to speak up for a QB who was a flash in the pan, and it turns out to be a dumpster fire. 

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

But see that's the issue with Decker. He is NOT a character guy. No he is not going to have on field issues but I am convinced he is not a good character guy in the locker room AT ALL and that is the reason he was cut pretty much the second he was healthy. Cutting Harris and Decker were both solid moves that have nothing to do with tanking.

This is called speculation. Decker might be the greatest or worst lockerroom presence ever, you really do not know. 

3 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Straw that broke the camel's back, for me. Hate changing regimes so frequently but Maccagnan must be fired. 

This team is in total disarray players, management,coaching,owner I have never seen this in all my years as a Jets fan. 

Im waiting for an announcement that the NY Jets forfeit the 2017 season. 

3 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Always worth a chance to find some other idiot to take your problems off your hands.

Archived