NY Jets fail to trade Eric Decker: released by team

JustInFudge

3 hours ago, Larz said:

The bigger story is literally nobody has jumped on any of the cuts as starters 

The top end of the roster was seen as garbage by the league 

I'm sad for Mangold, and surprised tbqh.  Such is the NFL.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, MaxAF said:

So the Jets got absolutely nothing for the best WR on the team????? :huh:

Was his 5-6 million dollar salary really going to sink the team this year?????

Good Grief.

Seems like nobody wants our damaged goods.  ❌

15 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Hard pressed that the 'executive of the year" GM couldn't get something for him.......

Perhaps we could borrow Mr Met to send a message to the rest of the NFL and trade for a few draft picks in the upcoming draft. 

imagejpeg

2 hours ago, TnT said:

And the same can be said about the other two GM's that would have been involved had it not been leaked.

the one who trades for an aging, injury riddled...not to mention, off of HIP, yes HHIIPP surgery.

and then there's the other GM...the one that also gets a paycheck as a WR but decides to speak up for a QB who was a flash in the pan, and it turns out to be a dumpster fire. 

I agree.. But New York teams often are the ones doing just such stupid things.

Decker could be cut or let go, that is fine, but why in the world would you announce that intention before you do it?

Perhaps to create interest?

But that is why you have a GM to do that stuff behind closed doors based upon his connections in the NFL.  Jets have had poor leadership for awhile now and all we can do is hope that Mac knows what he is doing.

The Harris and Decker cuts have Woody's grubby little fingerprints all over them.

Thing is many on here hated the Harris contract and thought Woody was behind it. So now Woody is behind the Harris cut as well....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Jetmech said:

Thing is many on here hated the Harris contract and thought Woody was behind it. So now Woody is behind the Harris cut as well....

Or maybe Harris just sucks, is way past his prime, can't cover nobody and should have been cut months ago but the idiot GM hesitated

I am not a Woody apologist but if he did meddle with Harris it was a good meddle.  No way is that guy worth $7 mil in base salary he is trash

Or maybe Harris just sucks, is way past his prime, can't cover nobody and should have been cut months ago but the idiot GM hesitated

I am not a Woody apologist but if he did meddle with Harris it was a good meddle.  No way is that guy worth $7 mil in base salary he is trash

Yeah, thing is supposedly Woody gave him that big contract as a sign of respect so now the same guy is the villian.

8 hours ago, Mike135 said:

I'm sure they tried a silent trade, but then had a fire sale as a last ditch effort.

Suppose teams don't want an expensive, injury prone, little brat that'll hold out if his buddy doesn't get signed.  Who woulda thought it?

Decker's salary was hardly expensive. Players of his skillset make 10+mil these days. He might carry some injury history but last year was the first time he missed more than 1 game in a season in 7 years. I'll take that any day in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

Decker's salary was hardly expensive. Players of his skillset make 10+mil these days. He might carry some injury history but last year was the first time he missed more than 1 game in a season in 7 years. I'll take that any day in the NFL. 

I doubt he gets over 7mil.  

7 hours ago, j4jets said:

a good GM makes decisions based on what lies ahead, not behind.  Decker's healthy days are behind him.  He's now on the wrong side of 30 and had a pair of significant surgeries.  He may have been dressed and active in many games before the 2017 nightmare, but he was hobbled constantly and couldn't play up to expectations in many of them.  Sorry, but Decker would have been an unwise investment as he is more of a declining value asset as anything else.  No future for him with the Jets. And for everyone saying he would have been a good leader for the young WRs, really?  Based on what?  His age? His declining skill set?  Certainly not his team-first attitude, which would be a figment of anyone's imagination.

I thought they might have kept Dekker until the deadline to see if they could get anything for him if he performed well. That and the QB situation was why I thought he would stick around. Say what you will but an experienced WR who runs routes well would have been beneficial to a young QB. He seemed to be doing well in OTA's but who knows? Now that he is gone it looks like the New York Tanks are in business. Just don't screw this up Mac. I can just hear it: "With the seond pick in 2018 NFL Draft the NY Jets select some player that will piss off the fan base". Hope I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

a good GM makes decisions based on what lies ahead, not behind.  Decker's healthy days are behind him.  He's now on the wrong side of 30 and had a pair of significant surgeries.  He may have been dressed and active in many games before the 2017 nightmare, but he was hobbled constantly and couldn't play up to expectations in many of them.  Sorry, but Decker would have been an unwise investment as he is more of a declining value asset as anything else.  No future for him with the Jets. And for everyone saying he would have been a good leader for the young WRs, really?  Based on what?  His age? His declining skill set?  Certainly not his team-first attitude, which would be a figment of anyone's imagination.

Never called him a good leader, but he could have mentored the young receiving corps. And being 30 years old for a WR doesn't mean much. Most WRs are in their prime at 30. 

17 hours ago, AFJF said:

Mac's worst move yet IMO...really hope Manish was right and this came from Woody.

Let's see how much Decker gets signed for.  I'll bet its sit less than his Jets contract meaning no team wanted him for that contract and therefore wouldn't have traded for him.  If that's the case I really don't see Mac announcing the intention to release as a big deal.  And I think most of you know that.  

I do wonder if Decker was made available during the draft however when teams are wheeling and dealing and possibly desperate to fill holes they weren't able to do in the draft. That's the scenario that would annoy me.

1 minute ago, David Harris said:

Let's see how much Decker gets signed for.  I'll bet its sit less than his Jets contract meaning no team wanted him for that contract and therefore wouldn't have traded for him.  If that's the case I really don't see Mac announcing the intention to release as a big deal.  And I think most of you know that.  

I do wonder if Decker was made available during the draft however when teams are wheeling and dealing and possibly desperate to fill holes they weren't able to do in the draft. That's the scenario that would annoy me.

Maclin got $11 million in a 2-year deal from Baltimore.  Amount of guaranteed money not yet disclosed.  Decker's contract was for $14.75 million over the same 2 year period (no guaranteed money). That's likely a win-win-win for the Ravens.  (1) Ravens get the better WR; (2) at $3.75M less than Decker would have cost; and (3) without trading away any picks.

9 hours ago, j4jets said:

Maclin got $11M in his 2 yr deal w/Baltimore.  Decker would have cost them $14.75M and a draft pick.  Yes, Decker's salary was too expensive considering the injuries, surgeries and diminished productivity.  Maclin a year younger and way more athletic without the injury history.  Much better deal for Baltimore than our left-over wounded. 

I think if you're looking to develop your young QBs, you keep Eric Decker. I think instead, the Jets will be trotting McCown out there at QB to help develop the young WRs for the QB they hope to draft next year. 

24 minutes ago, slats said:

I think if you're looking to develop your young QBs, you keep Eric Decker. I think instead, the Jets will be trotting McCown out there at QB to help develop the young WRs for the QB they hope to draft next year. 

Yeah. There are other things that line up with the timing (waiting until he's 100% health-wise, waiting until after June 1st), but the most likely seems to be low confidence in the QBs they're trying out, right after seeing them throw/play again during phase 2 of OTAs.

If they really believed either of Hack/Petty had a half-decent chance of success, they wouldn't sweat the possibility of Decker getting paid $7m and getting hurt again, just like they're paying almost that amount for a 38 year-old "mentor" Josh McCown. 

13 hours ago, Jetmech said:

Yeah, thing is supposedly Woody gave him that big contract as a sign of respect so now the same guy is the villian.

Harris was a liability on passing downs last 3-4 seasons he was here.  

12 hours ago, j4jets said:

Just another in a long line of dumb moves by this regime

6 more months

Archived