If you don't go to games are you a "real Jets fan"?

TuscanyTile2

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

If you define yourself by the your level of allegiance to a football team, or attempt to define others by that criterion, you ought to try to find some more meaning in your life.

If we had meaning in our lives, we wouldn't be hanging out on this board so much. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be stupid to suggest someone who doesn't isn't a real fan. I follow them religiously, but have never been to a game before. I live far away, and don't have the money or time off work to go see games.

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Personally I've only gone to a handful of Jet games in my life (the best being 41-0 over the Colts in the playoffs and the worst probably being Vinny T's opening day ruptured Achilles tendon) but I certainly feel like a "real Jet fan".  Just wondering what the consensus on the forum is.

Side note: I would absolutely never even consider paying for a PSL.  I've always been a sports fan but ticket prices are absolutely insane.

The definition of a "real Jets fan" is someone who just wrote the Jets a check for $5,350 for a season in which he knows will provide him with a 1-7 record, not a person who only attends games when the Jets are among the AFC elite such as your examples.

I'm not saying you're not a Jets fan.  You're just not a "real" one.

SAR I

At some point with the new stadium especially, it became crazy to go.

It's ridiculously expensive. Wasn't always so. But also admit as you get older, have kids, houses, cars dogs, jobs, etc. at some point it's a bill that is easier to cut. 

Driving there in the AM is usually very easy but driving home is a complete pain in the ass. Either way you are burning a whole day. If you watch from your couch or the local bar, you can show up at gametime and go do what ever you want when the game is over. And if the game sucks by halftime, so what; youa re home. As I got older got really hard to justify disappearing for a whole day. While the NFL and the Jets may not appreciate it, technology also has made staying home a better choice. You ahve abetter view on your HDTV, all the stats are at your fingers. And it's not 85/100% nor raining nor 22 degrees and freezing. 

The new stadium is a dump. It's impossible to get in and out. Hard to understand they built a brand new stadium and made parking and entrance and exit worse. The bathrooms and concessions are horrendous. To pay so much to be treated like criminal is really bvllsheet. It's as if they built this place without ever considering what people who go to NFL games value and care about , nor what they might  like and dislike. 

Oh, and the team sucks balls. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

I dont know about going to the games but I do know, you're not a real fan unless you wear authentic jerseys. 

I only go to a few games and only wear t-shirts, so I'm like, really not a real fan.

What about the ones you might order from an outfit in Hong King that looks sorta kinda very real? Spending $45 rather than $229 for a garment destined to be smeared with spilled beer and chicken wing sauce seems more sensible. 

I became a Jet fan in 1967.  We lived in Dana Point, California back then.  When my parents divorced in 1974 my Mom brought us back to New York.  Heck yes!  You can be a Jet fan if you live in Paris for God's sake.  :)

LOL. Of course you are a real Jets fan regardless of if you go to games or not. Anyone who says otherwise is beyond dumb.

I had season tix from 2002-2011 and then gave them up because I enjoy watching the game from the comfort of my home. Plus, going to the 1 or 4 pm games basically means you are giving up watching the other games in the other time slots. I always hated coming home from a 1pm Jets game and it's already the 3rd quarter of the 4pm game.

When I was younger I took pride in being a "real" fan. I was a "diehard" and somehow caring more than most people was a badge of honor.

Now that I'm older it's a curse. I look at friends who only casually follow sports and don't really care about the results and they live happier, more well adjusted lives. I logically recognize that's the mature and intelligent way to operate. Yet here I am, posting in threads about the media bullying Christian Hacknenberg in June.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

The definition of a "real Jets fan" is someone who just wrote the Jets a check for $5,350 for a season in which he knows will provide him with a 1-7 record, not a person who only attends games when the Jets are among the AFC elite such as your examples.

I'm not saying you're not a Jets fan.  You're just not a "real" one.

SAR I

Yeah where I come from in Brooklyn we call that a Sucker. Or a guy who measures the length of certain body part by the # of material things he flaunts in others faces. Probably from Jersey to boot.

34 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Yeah where I come from in Brooklyn we call that a Sucker. Or a guy who measures the length of certain body part by the # of material things he flaunts in others faces. Probably from Jersey to boot.

It's not just in Brooklyn

52 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

There is nothing more precious than money and time. 

A PSL owner dedicates thousands of dollars and thousands of hours to the Jets.

A guy in a basement eating pretzels and masturbating at halftime isn't the same as someone who spends 7 hours attending a live game.  Spend the money, then you can preach about loyalty.

SAR I

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

At some point with the new stadium especially, it became crazy to go.

It's ridiculously expensive. Wasn't always so. But also admit as you get older, have kids, houses, cars dogs, jobs, etc. at some point it's a bill that is easier to cut. 

Driving there in the AM is usually very easy but driving home is a complete pain in the ass. Either way you are burning a whole day. If you watch from your couch or the local bar, you can show up at gametime and go do what ever you want when the game is over. And if the game sucks by halftime, so what; youa re home. As I got older got really hard to justify disappearing for a whole day. While the NFL and the Jets may not appreciate it, technology also has made staying home a better choice. You ahve abetter view on your HDTV, all the stats are at your fingers. And it's not 85/100% nor raining nor 22 degrees and freezing. 

The new stadium is a dump. It's impossible to get in and out. Hard to understand they built a brand new stadium and made parking and entrance and exit worse. The bathrooms and concessions are horrendous. To pay so much to be treated like criminal is really bvllsheet. It's as if they built this place without ever considering what people who go to NFL games value and care about , nor what they might  like and dislike. 

Oh, and the team sucks balls. 

You describe perfectly the objections of someone in the cheap seats.

Those of us with preferred PSL seating and preferred PSL parking don't suffer from any of these pedestrian issues.  Easy to get in and out of, no lines at the bathrooms, and the value is certainly better than seeing any product at MSG or Yankee Stadium.  NFL tickets are practically a bargain in that respect.

SAR I

3 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

I became a Jet fan in 1967.  We lived in Dana Point, California back then.  When my parents divorced in 1974 my Mom brought us back to New York.  Heck yes!  You can be a Jet fan if you live in Paris for God's sake. 

Hey, I lived in New Hampshire for 14 years and was a NYJ season ticket holder.  I attended every game in Foxboro in those years and drove down 10 hours round trip 4x a year for Jets games.  I know what it means to be a long distance fan.

But I'd never 1) post in a forum how I was giving up my tickets because the team wasn't contending and 2) act like I was Mr. Super Fan for doing so.

Diehard fans are defined during hard times, not good times.  That's sort of Fandom 101.

SAR I

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

LOL. Of course you are a real Jets fan regardless of if you go to games or not. Anyone who says otherwise is beyond dumb.

I had season tix from 2002-2011 and then gave them up because I enjoy watching the game from the comfort of my home. Plus, going to the 1 or 4 pm games basically means you are giving up watching the other games in the other time slots. I always hated coming home from a 1pm Jets game and it's already the 3rd quarter of the 4pm game.

There are "fans" and then there are "real fans".

Just like there are military members who are officers and those who are enlisted men.  They may serve together, but they are not the same.

SAR I

Just now, Beerfish said:

I've been waiting for one of my well to do New York Jets brothers to fly me down there for a week all expenses paid and and take me to a game.

Hmm.  Let me get back to you on that.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Just like there are military members who are officers and those who are enlisted men.  They may serve together, but they are not the same.

SAR I

Agreed. But going to the games doesnt qualify someone as a bigger fan compared to someone who doesn't go. That's my point.

23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

A guy in a basement eating pretzels and masturbating at halftime isn't the same as someone who spends 7 hours attending a live game.  Spend the money, then you can preach about loyalty.

SAR I

Oh that's ridiculous. Some people don't enjoy the stadium atmosphere. For me personally, I gave up my tickets with my father and it had nothing to do with the Jets being good or bad, or the money. I was coming out of college, was getting a real job, it became hard to go to the games, and I found it to be a better experience watching from home. I still go to a game or two a year but going every week stopped being as enjoyable for me as it use to be. Like I said in a previous post. I want to watch the earlier game or the 4pm game depending on what time the Jets play.

For some people it's because they have kids and can't get to the stadium on Sundays. There's many reasons for why people don't go.

Fact- The amount of people in a stadium supporting a sports team are a small minority of that teams actual fan base.

I know plenty of people who still have their season tix and some of them couldn't name 3 players on the Jets starting offensive line. But I'm suppose to believe that they are "real fans" because they sit in a stadium when the teams playing?

31 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Hey, I lived in New Hampshire for 14 years and was a NYJ season ticket holder.  I attended every game in Foxboro in those years and drove down 10 hours round trip 4x a year for Jets games.  I know what it means to be a long distance fan.

But I'd never 1) post in a forum how I was giving up my tickets because the team wasn't contending and 2) act like I was Mr. Super Fan for doing so.

Diehard fans are defined during hard times, not good times.  That's sort of Fandom 101.

SAR I

AP_546672913777-1000x715.jpg

41 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

What are the best places in the stadium to masturbate at halftime?  Asking for a friend.

48 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

This sentence sez volumes about your priorities. I hope you don't have kids or a wife because you value money and time over them and you deserve what you get.Furthermore numbnuts I'm a 2nd generation season ticket holder who was going to games before PSL's ever existed. The only reason I gave mine up was because I moved out of state. I gave my cash and my time long before your pompous ass contributed anything to this team. You think because your stupid enough to spend that money your daddy left makes you anymore of a fan?  Nah. It just makes you a poser with so many issues they can't begin to be counted. Textbook bro simply textbook.

16 minutes ago, gEYno said:

What are the best places in the stadium to masturbate at halftime?  Asking for a friend.

Why wait until half time? Obviously, you haven't been watching Bowles and his coaches the past 2 years.  The best place for this is clearly with Todd and his coaching staff on the Jets sidelines.  

45 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You describe perfectly the objections of someone in the cheap seats.

Those of us with preferred PSL seating and preferred PSL parking don't suffer from any of these pedestrian issues.  Easy to get in and out of, no lines at the bathrooms, and the value is certainly better than seeing any product at MSG or Yankee Stadium.  NFL tickets are practically a bargain in that respect.

SAR I

Might note that a lot of those luxury boxes that were supposed to generate so much revenue are filled with...dark boxes and  empty seats on the game days I have been to since the new stadium opened. There are only so many whales, and they do not stay being whales if they spend their $ stupidly. 15,000 empty cheap seats are also revenue that is gone. Look, I don't fault you or say you are wrong. But the math is obvious; a stadium with 45,000 people in it generates much less revenue than one with 78,000 people in it. The assumption that luxury box revenue would be the cureall has not really worked. Why do I get calls every month begging me to buy discount "cheap seats"? Why are the jets advertising like crazy on TV and radio? 

DOn't much care for baseballany more, but can say that I go to 1 or 2 Rangers games at MSG every year. The price is no bargain, but it's a good time in a nice arena watching a well-run team. There are great concessions and appears the Garden figured out people at a concert or sporting event might need to use the loo after a few ales. I can be on the subway home in short order, and there are tons of restaurants and bars for before or after. The Jets comparatively are a total ripoff. 

51 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

This the statement of a clueless individual. You can tell you've never served in the military just by this statement. You're literally to stupid to insult. Amazing!!!!

55 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Huh?

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

How to simulate going to a Jets game:

1. Put $500 dollars in cash into an envelope and send it to a billionaire, who will hide that cash in the Cayman Islands. To get the full effect, add an extra $20,000 dollars for your Personal Freezer License.

2. Lock yourself in a freezer for four hours and think about how much your dad resented your birth. Try not to piss yourself. To get the full effect, piss yourself, collect it in a plastic cup, drink it, then send another $14 to the billionaire from Item 1.

3. Every five minutes, adopt a Staten Island accent and loudly explain to yourself how Kyle Clifton was actually better than Harry Carson. Use increasingly loud, drunken, combative and racist language. To get the full effect, have your two fattest neighbors squeeze into the freezer and start fistfighting.

4. Try to leave early, but ensure you can't open the freezer door by having your neighbor roll his barbecue grill in front of it. This is the parking lot simulation. To get the full effect, have your neighbor bash a Corona bottle against the freezer when you ask him to move the grill.

Damn. Sounds a lot like my first honey moon. 

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Agreed. But going to the games doesnt qualify someone as a bigger fan compared to someone who doesn't go. That's my point.

And the opposite is my point.

Going to a single game is a 7 hour commitment.  You wake up early, you get to the stadium hours in advance, you watch warmups, you grab lunch, you watch the game.  When its over, you sit in traffic and get home late.  Typical 1:00 game my day starts at 10:00 and ends at 5:00.

Someone who doesn't go?  Roll out of bed at 12:45, turn on the game, pick your ass, eat pretzels.  Halftime you masturbate.  Second half you nap.  It's not the same thing.

SAR I

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Oh that's ridiculous. Some people don't enjoy the stadium atmosphere. For me personally, I gave up my tickets with my father and it had nothing to do with the Jets being good or bad, or the money. I was coming out of college, was getting a real job, it became hard to go to the games, and I found it to be a better experience watching from home. I still go to a game or two a year but going every week stopped being as enjoyable for me as it use to be. Like I said in a previous post. I want to watch the earlier game or the 4pm game depending on what time the Jets play.

For some people it's because they have kids and can't get to the stadium on Sundays. There's many reasons for why people don't go.

Fact- The amount of people in a stadium supporting a sports team are a small minority of that teams actual fan base.

I know plenty of people who still have their season tix and some of them couldn't name 3 players on the Jets starting offensive line. But I'm suppose to believe that they are "real fans" because they sit in a stadium when the teams playing?

Call them what you want, but there are different levels of fans.  No different than a Private is not a Corporal is not a Sargent.  The pecking order begins with those who write fat checks to the Jets every April. 

Different degrees of financial investment, time investment, and family-prioritization. 

SAR I

Archived