Jamal Adams shines again as Jets conclude minicamp

Marshmello

Was listening  to Francesa earlier. He said Adams will be an All-Pro player in a year or so, be the leader of the defense by the end of the year.  I know it's not saying much coming from him, but I'll take it.  Really looking forward watching Adams play this year. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/06/jamal_adams_again_shines_as_jets_conclude_minicamp.html#incart_river_index

By Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Rookie safety Jamal Adams again stepped up in a big way for the Jets as the team wrapped up minicamp on Thursday. 

New York Jets OTA, 5-23-17 
Summer vacation is underway

FLORHAM PARK — These are padless, no-contact practices in June; a learning experience for most everyone on the field at One Jets Drive. Observations and takeaways at this stage in the NFL season are pointless. 

But it's becoming awfully hard to temper the hype around Jets rookie safety Jamal Adams.  

A day after his highlight-reel interception, Adams flashed his football acumen on Thursday. On the first set of team drills, he sprinted to the line from his safety spot just as the offense set. He began screaming out commands to his teammates, diagraming the play he believed was coming.

The play began moments later. The offense ran exactly what Adams predicted. The defense had things perfectly covered. Sheldon Richardson came in for a sack.

"I recognized it all from film study," Adams told NJ Advance Media after practice at his locker. "It was fun, but I'm nowhere near where I want to be yet. I want to know the play once they break the huddle." 

Adams is well on his way. 

What else happened at the Jets' final minicamp workout? Here's our practice report. 

John Munson | NJ Advance Media

The walking wounded

There were no new additions to the walking wounded. Tackle Ben Ijalana (knee), cornerback Jeremy Clark (knee), receiver ArDarius Stewart (groin/thumb), receiver Chad Hansen (knee), receiver Quincy Enunwa (shoulder/neck), receiver Gabe Marks (unknown), guard Brian Winters (shoulder) and linebacker Corey Lemonier (quad) all sat out. 

There was one slight change to Stewart, though. We received more clarity on his injury groin and thumb — both of which required surgery. Stewart injured his thumb at rookie camp. His groin was an underlying issue from college. When Stewart had thumb surgery, the Jets decided to get his groin fixed, too, coach Todd Bowles said. 

Returners and kickers

The Jets again worked the punt team on Thursday. Running back Romar Morris, receiver Chris Harper, running back Bobby Rainey (tryout), receiver Dexter McCluster (tryout), receiver Frankie Hammond and receiver Willie Quinn (tryout) took reps. One notable absence? Eli McGuire. Not sure why he wasn't there 

In the kicking gauntlet, Chandler Catanzaro went a perfect six-for-six with a long of 61 yards. Ross Martin went four of five. He missed a kick from 51, but hit 57.  

The starting offense

I kept an eye on who worked where with the starters. It was tough to get an incredibly accurate read because most starters sat after the first set of team drills. After two lengthy practices Wednesday and Thursday, Bowles called things after 1.5 hours. 

Quarterback: Josh McCown
Running back: Matt Forte, Bilal Powell 
Receivers: Charone Peake, Jalin Marshall, Robby Anderson 
Offensive line: Brandon Shell (RT), Brent Qvale (RG), Wesley Johsnon (C), Dakota Dozier (RG), Jeff Adams (RT)

Some notes here: Kelvin Beachum didn't practice much, likely a rest day. Brian Winters (RG) also sat. It's impossible to get a read on the receivers since Quincy Enunwa, ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen didn't practice. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly this is very impressive coming from a rookie. We were all told he was a natural born leader but to already be taking the reigns and taking verbal command of  the defense on the field is a really good sign for us.

Jamal Adams is not only the real deal but the fact that everyone already knew it before he was even drafted speaks volumes. gentleman, I present to you Brain Dawkins/Ed Reed and I'm not just hyping him..alright maybe a little but that's only because it's minicamp. I have a feeling I'll never have to eat my words. The IQ, work ethic, speed, reaction skills, tackling form and leadership are INSANE.

45 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Jamal Adams is not only the real deal but the fact that everyone already knew it before he was even drafted speaks volumes. gentleman, I present to you Brain Dawkins/Ed Reed and I'm not just hyping him..alright maybe a little but that's only because it's minicamp. I have a feeling I'll never have to eat my words. The IQ, work ethic, speed, reaction skills, tackling form and leadership are INSANE.

yea...I'll hold back my enthusiasm until game time.  Fool me once...

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Dawkins... Reed? Stop. Lets see him take 1 nfl snap first before you anoint him the next chosen one.

31 minutes ago, pointman said:

Dawkins... Reed? Stop. Lets see him take 1 nfl snap first before you anoint him the next chosen one.

1 practice scrimmage without pads facing Bryce Petty and he's already better than Ed Reed but we need ten years to evaluate Hackenberg

This is 100% opposite of when we drafted dewayne robertson #1 and all tbrough camp there was NOT ONE story about him. Positive or negative.....i posted on ji.com that this was unusual and claimed he was already a bust.

30 pages of hatred came my way....

We know how that ended. This is great news 

4 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

This is 100% opposite of when we drafted dewayne robertson #1 and all tbrough camp there was NOT ONE story about him. Positive or negative.....i posted on ji.com that this was unusual and claimed he was already a bust.

30 pages of hatred came my way....

We know how that ended. This is great news 

Jigga, a 30 page hate-thread on JI doesn't put you in the Top 20 on this website. 

3 hours ago, jdeacon said:

Honestly this is very impressive coming from a rookie. We were all told he was a natural born leader but to already be taking the reigns and taking verbal command of  the defense on the field is a really good sign for us.

The kid was named captain of the LSU defense as a Freshman. If you happen to look at the talent LSU usually has every year on D - that is no small feat. 

23 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Word out of Houston is Deshaun Watson looks good. So glad we passed on him for a safety... 

If he was a jet the word would be a daily tally of his picks and a criticism of his footwork 

3 hours ago, pointman said:

2 hours ago, thadude said:

1 practice scrimmage without pads facing Bryce Petty and he's already better than Ed Reed but we need ten years to evaluate Hackenberg

LOL.. I understand that sounded wild, but I more or less was comparing Adams trait wise to Reed/Dawkins. Very high on this pick. On a lighter note he atleast has a good chance to become the best defensive player out of this draft. Isn't Garrett already hurt..(knock on wood)

4 hours ago, Marshmello said:

Was listening  to Francesa earlier. He said Adams will be an All-Pro player in a year or so, be the leader of the defense by the end of the year.  I know it's not saying much coming from him, but I'll take it.  Really looking forward watching Adams play this year. 

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/06/jamal_adams_again_shines_as_jets_conclude_minicamp.html#incart_river_index

By Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

Rookie safety Jamal Adams again stepped up in a big way for the Jets as the team wrapped up minicamp on Thursday. 

New York Jets OTA, 5-23-17 
Summer vacation is underway

FLORHAM PARK — These are padless, no-contact practices in June; a learning experience for most everyone on the field at One Jets Drive. Observations and takeaways at this stage in the NFL season are pointless. 

But it's becoming awfully hard to temper the hype around Jets rookie safety Jamal Adams.  

A day after his highlight-reel interception, Adams flashed his football acumen on Thursday. On the first set of team drills, he sprinted to the line from his safety spot just as the offense set. He began screaming out commands to his teammates, diagraming the play he believed was coming.

The play began moments later. The offense ran exactly what Adams predicted. The defense had things perfectly covered. Sheldon Richardson came in for a sack.

"I recognized it all from film study," Adams told NJ Advance Media after practice at his locker. "It was fun, but I'm nowhere near where I want to be yet. I want to know the play once they break the huddle." 

Adams is well on his way. 

What else happened at the Jets' final minicamp workout? Here's our practice report. 

John Munson | NJ Advance Media

The walking wounded

There were no new additions to the walking wounded. Tackle Ben Ijalana (knee), cornerback Jeremy Clark (knee), receiver ArDarius Stewart (groin/thumb), receiver Chad Hansen (knee), receiver Quincy Enunwa (shoulder/neck), receiver Gabe Marks (unknown), guard Brian Winters (shoulder) and linebacker Corey Lemonier (quad) all sat out. 

There was one slight change to Stewart, though. We received more clarity on his injury groin and thumb — both of which required surgery. Stewart injured his thumb at rookie camp. His groin was an underlying issue from college. When Stewart had thumb surgery, the Jets decided to get his groin fixed, too, coach Todd Bowles said. 

Returners and kickers

The Jets again worked the punt team on Thursday. Running back Romar Morris, receiver Chris Harper, running back Bobby Rainey (tryout), receiver Dexter McCluster (tryout), receiver Frankie Hammond and receiver Willie Quinn (tryout) took reps. One notable absence? Eli McGuire. Not sure why he wasn't there 

In the kicking gauntlet, Chandler Catanzaro went a perfect six-for-six with a long of 61 yards. Ross Martin went four of five. He missed a kick from 51, but hit 57.  

The starting offense

I kept an eye on who worked where with the starters. It was tough to get an incredibly accurate read because most starters sat after the first set of team drills. After two lengthy practices Wednesday and Thursday, Bowles called things after 1.5 hours. 

Quarterback: Josh McCown
Running back: Matt Forte, Bilal Powell 
Receivers: Charone Peake, Jalin Marshall, Robby Anderson 
Offensive line: Brandon Shell (RT), Brent Qvale (RG), Wesley Johsnon (C), Dakota Dozier (RG), Jeff Adams (RT)

Some notes here: Kelvin Beachum didn't practice much, likely a rest day. Brian Winters (RG) also sat. It's impossible to get a read on the receivers since Quincy Enunwa, ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen didn't practice. 

as well the no 6 pick in the draft should be.  adams is going to be a very good player.  good riddance to pryor.

Archived