Maccagnan: 5 Traded Picks and 5 Contracts

varjet

Over the last 3 offseasons, Mac has:

• Traded 5 Draft Picks for:  Fitz, Marshall, Posey, Stacy and Clady.  The first 2 helped the initial 10 win no playoff season.  None contributed anything after that.  Those draft picks could have been contributing to the Jets today.
  • Signed 5 Low Value/High Cost Contracts:  Revis, Fitz (2), Cromartie, Skrine and Gilcrist.   That money could have been used for other players.

We can go over the Draft Picks in another post, but these 10 moves are one of the principle reasons the Jets roster is so poor.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, varjet said:

• Traded 5 Draft Picks for:  Fitz, Marshall, Posey, Stacy and Clady.  The first 2 helped the initial 10 win no playoff season.  None contributed anything after that.  Those draft picks could have been contributing to the Jets today.
  • Signed 5 Low Value/High Cost Contracts:  Revis, Fitz (2), Cromartie, Skrine and Gilcrist.   That money could have been used for other players.

We can go over the Draft Picks in another post, but these 10 moves are one of the principle reasons the Jets roster is so poor.

I agree. I also think that we have to move on from this. Macc has made many mistakes. They have hurt this team immensely. Let's hope things change before he is forced out.

11 minutes ago, varjet said:

Having sh*t drafts for multiple years before Macc is the reason our roster is so poor. He also had to spend money his first year. I know what everyone is going to say that he should have signed them all to one-year deals. That works in Madden, but not with actual humans who have a say one what contracts they sign. But for what it's worth, Macc will never get a fair assessment around these parts. Not a fan of people sh*tting on the guy for every single move. 

48 minutes ago, varjet said:

1) we traded a conditional 7 th that could become a 6 th for Fitz. That pick was traded to Atlanta who drafted guard Wes Schweitzer.

2) we traded our 5 th to Chicago ( Adrian Amos) for Brandon Marshall and a seventh rounder. We then traded the 7 th rounder for Stacy. So we traded a fifth rounder for Marshall and stacy.

3) We've traded our 3rd (70th) for HOU's 3rd (82), 5th (152), 7th (229) and WR DeVier Posey.

I guess you forgot to mention all the other picks we got in return along with posey...

with the 70 th pick Houston got Jalen Strong

we got

82) Lorenzo Mauldin

152) Jarvis Harrison

229) used to trade up for Petty

and posey

4) we traded a fifth rounder for Clady and a seventh.

Denver traded our 5 th to ten. Who drafted leshaun sims.

we got Clady

and drafted Lachlan Edwards.

we definitely got more than what was stated in these trades. The principal reason the Jets roster is so poor was terrible drafting from 2012-2014, not these trades.

34 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Having sh*t drafts for multiple years before Macc is the reason our roster is so poor. He also had to spend money his first year. I know what everyone is going to say that he should have signed them all to one-year deals. That works in Madden, but not with actual humans who have a say one what contracts they sign. But for what it's worth, Macc will never get a fair assessment around these parts. Not a fan of people sh*tting on the guy for every single move. 

We are three years in and have the worst roster in the NFL.  How do you figure he's being judged unfairly when he stepped into an immense pile of cap money in his first year and managed to build a team that is by all accounts an absolute dumpster fire. 

6 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

We are three years in and have the worst roster in the NFL.  How do you figure he's being judged unfairly when he stepped into an immense pile of cap money in his first year and managed to build a team that is by all accounts an absolute dumpster fire. 

We are not three years in, and it remains to be seen just how good or bad our roster is

39 minutes ago, MTJ06 said:

1) we traded a conditional 7 th that could become a 6 th for Fitz. That pick was traded to Atlanta who drafted guard Wes Schweitzer.

2) we traded our 5 th to Chicago ( Adrian Amos) for Brandon Marshall and a seventh rounder. We then traded the 7 th rounder for Stacy. So we traded a fifth rounder for Marshall and stacy.

3) We've traded our 3rd (70th) for HOU's 3rd (82), 5th (152), 7th (229) and WR DeVier Posey.

I guess you forgot to mention all the other picks we got in return along with posey...

we got

82) Lorenzo Mauldin

152) Jarvis Harrison

and posey

we got Clady

we definitely got more than what was stated in these trades. The principal reason the Jets roster is so poor was terrible drafting from 2012-2014, not these trades.

So we got an underperforming OLB by trading up.  PETTY.  And traded up for a mediocre punter.  How is this a shot in the arm for any GM?

Remains to be seen. Alrighty.  

Remains to be seen. Alrighty.  

So you have already declared our draft class from this year busts when they haven't even played a game yet. Alrighty.

11 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

So we got an underperforming OLB by trading up.  PETTY.  And traded up for a mediocre punter.  How is this a shot in the arm for any GM?

Didn't say it was a shot in the arm for the GM, but were these trades the principal reason our roster is so poor as the original poster stated?

6 minutes ago, MTJ06 said:

Didn't say it was a shot in the arm for the GM, but were these trades the principal reason our roster is so poor as the original poster stated?

You're keeping an open mind and a positive attitude. I commend you for that. I'm not as convinced that our GM isnt in over his head. Let's hope you're right and I'm just a curmudgeon. 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

But he was the exec of the year so nothing should matter beyond that. Not even wins. Interesting to note that most of those moves were made in his first year...when Idzik left a boatload of cap space. Macc used it up like a $10 hooker without a care in the world and has been cap strapped since. Some GM! 

3 hours ago, MTJ06 said:

we got

82) Lorenzo Mauldin

152) Jarvis Harrison

and posey

we got Clady

Bravo

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

How many Macc picks are on the Roster, how many Idzik picks are on the roster?

It's just laughable at this point.  Macs first draft class has yet to enter training camp for year three, but Idzik was better...lol.

This is really on Woody.

Why didn't he just hire one of those GMs who never makes a move that doesn't work out?  They're all over the place, but we end up with a guy who isn't perfect.

Thanks, Woody.

Even some of those free agent contracts weren't unreasonable- especially Cro's. Dude had a decent year with Arizona and got to know TB and his defense, so we signed him into what was basically a one year 7 million dollar deal. He didn't pan out and we cut him, there was nothing bad about that move.

Gilchrist either, that was a slightly above average signing, like 5 and change a year I think? That was fair, and so was he in 2015.

Revis and (re-signing) Fitz were probably his biggest mistake signings thus far though. He had to spend in 2015, I know that, but it doesn't make the deal he gave DR (in guarantees specifically) any less egregious.

And while I can call those two major cap follies, its hard to call a lot of the other trades and signings the sole reasons why the Jets aren't a good team. The trade for Posey? really?

27 minutes ago, KRL said:

How anyone can ignore the years of wasted picks that were under the Tannenbaum, Ryan & Idzik years

is beyond me

I've said it several times but the Idzik fans don't want to hear it.  Deon Simon, Macs first 7th round pick, has already had a better NFL career than the majority of players Idzik ever drafted.

This is with his entire first draft class not even starting year three yet.

6 hours ago, varjet said:

most didn't complain when he made the trades and picked up those free agents.  and most also didn't complain when the jets went 10-6 in 2015. and most also didn't think that the jets would be so bad and those vets play so poorly in 2016.  hindsight is 20-20. imo the failed idzik drafts plus some pretty poor drafting by tanny is what has kept the team's performance down. i hesitate to say the roster isn't talented.  right now it's mainly because they're very young and don't have a qb they can count on.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

How anyone can ignore the years of wasted picks that were under the Tannenbaum, Ryan & Idzik years

is beyond me

Tanny traded many picks and Idiotzik just blew a 12 pick draft in the worst way by not moving on any trades. Then compounded the issue with mostly bad selections. 

35 minutes ago, rangerous said:

most didn't complain when he made the trades and picked up those free agents.  and most also didn't complain when the jets went 10-6 in 2015. and most also didn't think that the jets would be so bad and those vets play so poorly in 2016.  hindsight is 20-20. imo the failed idzik drafts plus some pretty poor drafting by tanny is what has kept the team's performance down. i hesitate to say the roster isn't talented.  right now it's mainly because they're very young and don't have a qb they can count on.

The re-signing of Futz was the worst issue for 2016. After Futz held out past May the Jets should have moved on. I made that statement then like a few others here did. No team should go to OTA's without knowing who the QB is. That move alone split the locker room, set back the development of three younger QB's who by the way were all NYJ draft picks, hurt the vertical passing game and was made even worse by the terms of the contract.

A total fail

7 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Having sh*t drafts for multiple years before Macc is the reason our roster is so poor. He also had to spend money his first year. 

:laughs:

:cracks knuckles:

:opens google:

oh look at the draft bounties that preceded Great Satan john Idzik 

IMG_0467.PNG

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

This is really on Woody.

Why didn't he just hire one of those GMs who never makes a move that doesn't work out?  They're all over the place, but we end up with a guy who isn't perfect.

Thanks, Woody.

You don't think the power structure he set up between he, Mac and Bowles is messed up? 

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

You don't think the power structure he set up between he, Mac and Bowles is messed up? 

People like to knock that setup, but in all reality, without knowing exactly what's being said between Woody and Mac and Woody and Bowles when they do meet, it's pretty senseless.

My point really was that he used draft picks that could have been up to five young players for old players who are no longer in the team.  

As I have said before, I don't know who does better in this Jets environment.  But the approach has not worked.  The Jets seem to have a better idea this offseason, at least at the end of it.  The strategy for this offseason is another post.  

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

My point really was that he used draft picks that could have been up to five young players for old players who are no longer in the team.  

As I have said before, I don't know who does better in this Jets environment.  But the approach has not worked.  The Jets seem to have a better idea this offseason, at least at the end of it.  The strategy for this offseason is another post.  

This is what the fans wanted.

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

:laughs:

:cracks knuckles:

:opens google:

oh look at the draft bounties that preceded Great Satan john Idzik 

IMG_0467.PNG

Love how that screenshot cuts off  2008 after Gholston ... it's almost as if it's saying "need I say more?". :D 

And 2011 was a pretty good year. ;-) 

8 hours ago, varjet said:

Well that's what happens when you try to do a competitive rebuild that the owner insists on doing every couple years. It got us 10 wins, a fun little season and a lesson learned. Now they're on a smarter path and hopefully continue to stay on it. 

Any GM that needed to learn the lesson that letting a 33 year old journeyman hold you hostage for a complete offseason and then handing him $12M for one season probably got the job too soon.  It would be nice to think that he learned his lesson, but giving $6M to a 37 year old journeyman QB does not give me a huge amount of hope. 

Archived