Coaches Corner from Mini Camp

JetNation

IMG_1171-1-1.jpg?fit=864%2C634

Another successful week in the books for the Jets as they finish up Mini Camp.

Many of the young players are making strides to improve their game.  Christian Hackenberg had his best week of practice.  His confidence level grows every day.  Jamal Adams continues to impress and looks the part of 1st round talent.  Adams has been locked in and is working his way to be a leader of this defense.

Several coaches not normally heard from spoke to the media about certain players who they feel will bring toughness and production that has been missing for quite sometime.

Quarterback Coach Jeremy Bates touched upon the signal callers and is happy with their progression of the play book.  The learning curve is huge, but he sees improvement with terminology, cadence and orchestrating the huddle.  In particular, he mentioned that all the QB’s are hard workers who bring the right mind-set everyday with the urgency to get better each day.

Coach Stump Mitchell was very vocal and determined about getting his point across with his running backs–especially the full-backs.  Stump expects his fullback to be the best in the league.  He stated that not only will they have blocking protection duties but also be involved in the passing game.  This has been something the Jets have been missing for many years now.

Jimmie Johnson (tight-end coach) spoke about Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Jordan Leggett.  At this point he is satisfied with their development.  Jenkins seems to have a good grasp of this system as it is similar to his playbook from college.  He also has some history with Josh McCown from his rookie season in Tampa.  Jenkins slimmed down about 20 pounds and said he feels great.  Hopefully, the new lifestyle and body change can improve his game overall.

Jordan Leggett has shown to be a good receiving option but will need to focus on his mechanics in the blocking scheme.  Johnson feels that the way college football programs utilize the TE hinders their game when they make the jump up to the Pros.  Most of the time Leggett was split out or lined up in the slot position which made him more of a jumbo WR then the traditional inline tight end.  Leggett will have to improve his footwork and ability to sustain blocks to become a fully functional piece in this offense.

Coach Kevin Greene had nothing but positive things to say about “his kids.” He was referring to the young outside line backing corps.  His focus is to improve their fundamentals, technique and emphasis on playing with passion.

“Play free and have fun!”

All of the backers have specific talents and need to hone their craft as edge rushers.  Greene has a true understanding about the position having done it himself.  His player/coach experience mixed with his intensity should bode well as a mentor and motivator for the Jets defense.

The Jets seem like a changed team with a new mind-set for the upcoming season.  There is positivity in the air despite the repetitive negativity coming from particular media outlets.  The Jets success will depend upon this coaching staff’s ability to develop this young team, which has been going through a monumental transition.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
mR1exIhuBls

Click here to read the full story...

You know what?  This team is going to come out every week and compete.  I can feel it.  I LOVE the new coaches that are here as they seem as dedicated as ever and they seem like legitimate teachers who are going to teach this young team how to prepare and how to win.  If nothing else this team has nothing to lose this upcoming season and those teams with nothing to lose can be quite scary.  If this defense can somehow be a top 7 defense I think this team will shock people with how many games they can win.  The offense is definitely going to take their lumps throughout the season but there is some young untapped talent here that's ready to showcase what they can do.  

Color me excited.

There is no tanking. This team fully believes they can play well and progress. The dark clouds that are being painted only spread to half minded analyst hacks who dictate media outlets and give idiots their impressions and opinions of us instead of football fans making their own. There is NO tanking. You can easily see this.

There is no tanking. This team fully believes they can play well and progress. The dark clouds that are being painted only spread to half minded analyst hacks who dictate media outlets and give idiots their impressions and opinions of us instead of football fans making their own. There is NO tanking. You can easily see this.
The players have seen the light ... and his name is Sam

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

So Hack has officially moved ahead of Petty.  Great news for Hack obviously.  Not so much for Petty.

The best option for 2017 was always Hack playing well enough to earn the name franchise QB.  It just doesn't seem likely, but is without a doubt what I'm rooting for.

Second best option is a 0 to 3 win season and drafting a franchise QB.  Which seems much more likely.

Anywhere in between only continues us on the path of mediocrity and useless seasons like 2016.

4 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

What was the overall assessment of Hackenberg from minicamp? Anyone know?

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/jets-christian-hackenberg-narrows-gap-during-minicamp/

Hackenberg performed better than anticipated during minicamp, ESPN's Rich Cimini reports.

Hackenberg is reportedly ahead of Bryce Petty for the Jets' No. 2 quarterback job, but the second-year pro could be closing the gap on projected starter Josh McCown some. According to the report, the 37-year-old McCown underwhelmed during minicamp, which made the timing of Hackenberg's improvement all the better. However, with training camp and the preseason still ahead, Hackenberg will have to sustain his challenge to unseat the veteran.

7 hours ago, Mike135 said:

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/jets-christian-hackenberg-narrows-gap-during-minicamp/

Hackenberg performed better than anticipated during minicamp, ESPN's Rich Cimini reports.

Hackenberg is reportedly ahead of Bryce Petty for the Jets' No. 2 quarterback job, but the second-year pro could be closing the gap on projected starter Josh McCown some. According to the report, the 37-year-old McCown underwhelmed during minicamp, which made the timing of Hackenberg's improvement all the better. However, with training camp and the preseason still ahead, Hackenberg will have to sustain his challenge to unseat the veteran.

I don't know why, but I have always had a feeling that he could develop into something really good if not great if coached up properly. This is great news and if it continues in TC, we may actually have something to look forward too this season which would end the idiotic talk of "tanking".

8 hours ago, Mike135 said:

So Hack has officially moved ahead of Petty.  Great news for Hack obviously.  Not so much for Petty.

The best option for 2017 was always Hack playing well enough to earn the name franchise QB.  It just doesn't seem likely, but is without a doubt what I'm rooting for.

Second best option is a 0 to 3 win season and drafting a franchise QB.  Which seems much more likely.

Anywhere in between only continues us on the path of mediocrity and useless seasons like 2016.

Well nothing is "official" until gameday but it's a good start. 

In general, I feel like practices so far have been pretty well balanced, back and forth between defense and offense. Not the typical, defense is ahead stuff. Could change during training camp obviously but I've like what I read so far. Feels different especially with the coaches we have this year. Let's hope it continues.

I don't know if the jets will have a wining season or not.  Those who assure you they will be embarrassing are just as foolish as those who think they will go 16 and 0.

What I do know is the jets will be a team with nothing to lose and nobody likes to compete with that.

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

I don't know why, but I have always had a feeling that he could develop into something really good if not great if coached up properly. This is great news and if it continues in TC, we may actually have something to look forward too this season which would end the idiotic talk of "tanking".

Let's be fair, the tanking talks are not idiotic. We truly have the worst roster in the league. 

And no, our QBs will suck this year simply cuz they have no pass catchers. Enunwa as our #1? Robby as #2? Give me a break. Take out the deep threat and put your #1 CB on Enunwa. Who are the QBs going to pass to? 3rd and 4th round rookies? Meh. Our QBs will suck this year. 

50 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Let's be fair, the tanking talks are not idiotic. We truly have the worst roster in the league. 

And no, our QBs will suck this year simply cuz they have no pass catchers. Enunwa as our #1? Robby as #2? Give me a break. Take out the deep threat and put your #1 CB on Enunwa. Who are the QBs going to pass to? 3rd and 4th round rookies? Meh. Our QBs will suck this year. 

I don't think we have the worst roster in the league at all. I think the 49ers still look worse. I don't believe the Browns will be better roster wise. I also think a lot of teams they ranked in the mid 20's of those idiotic "offseason power rankings" may seem better on paper to some but will ultimately look worse or about on par with us. I just don't see it..all I see is negative hype...and I'm a realist..i can admit when things aren't looking good so with all things considered..we def. aren't #32 or even #29 roster wise in my opinion. Guess we'll see when the product is placed on the field. I do know we have 80 million to look forward to next offseason if you wind up right and i'm wrong. 

11 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Our roster is weak enough in impact positions that Hack could show himself to be a franchise level QB and we STILL only win 0-3 games

The people that want hack to show progress enough to warrant him being our future yet want to have a top 3 pick aren't being very realistic. If he has success that means he likely won some games because of his play...more than 2-3. That would be great. I'm pulling for him. If he can't win more than 2-3 games there is no way we don't draft a QB in the first round in '18. If they have a chance to get a FQB and hhe's available they will take him and not just hope Hack makes more progress. In the best interest of the team it would be for Hack to be the future. Using a top pick on other positions in an upcoming draft would be my idea of rebuilding rather than burning a top pick on another QB if we already have one.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, j4jets said:

Let's be fair? Go ask Quincy or Bilal or even Wilkerson and Richardson if they are going to tank. Go ask Jamal Adams if he is going to tank. 

Oh and ask the STH's / PSL payers what they think about tanking. I'm sure they all are 100% behind a tank job B)

Come on people, we do have the worst HC in NFL history, but these players are professional athletes, most of them very young and unproven, if they lose games it will not be through lack of effort, I can pretty much guarantee that.

7 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Let's be fair? Go ask Quincy or Bilal or even Wilkerson and Richardson if they are going to tank. Go ask Jamal Adams if he is going to tank. 

Oh and ask the STH's / PSL payers what they think about tanking. I'm sure they all are 100% behind a tank job B)

Come on people, we do have the worst HC in NFL history, but these players are professional athletes, most of them very young and unproven, if they lose games it will not be through lack of effort, I can pretty much guarantee that.

When I said we're tanking, it's the cumulative organization that's tanking, not the individual players. They have nothing to gain from tanking. Their careers depend on it. Of course they'll play as hard as they can, save for Mo who is a slacker if you watch the tape. Players (in general) don't win games. Teams do and we have a steaming pile of a roster overall with very few gems. The tank job is committed by the GM. 

I don't think we have the worst roster in the league at all. I think the 49ers still look worse. I don't believe the Browns will be better roster wise. I also think a lot of teams they ranked in the mid 20's of those idiotic "offseason power rankings" may seem better on paper to some but will ultimately look worse or about on par with us. I just don't see it..all I see is negative hype...and I'm a realist..i can admit when things aren't looking good so with all things considered..we def. aren't #32 or even #29 roster wise in my opinion. Guess we'll see when the product is placed on the field. I do know we have 80 million to look forward to next offseason if you wind up right and i'm wrong. 

Dline is so important in this league and we are potentially very strong there with an ever-improving Leo, Sheldon playing for a contract and Wilkerson further away from his broken leg. With improved safeties and secondary the d could be pretty darn good. But only if the O can get some first downs and keep the D off the field for part of the game.

5 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Dline is so important in this league and we are potentially very strong there with an ever-improving Leo, Sheldon playing for a contract and Wilkerson further away from his broken leg. With improved safeties and secondary the d could be pretty darn good. But only if the O can get some first downs and keep the D off the field for part of the game.

That's right. I also like how Claiborne has flashed in camp. I liked what I saw out of Burris last season. We won't be strong at corner but we'll do alright I believe. Our D-line can stop the run with the best of them and should get even more sacks without busted coverage out of the backfield. That hole got taped up when Maye and Adams were selected. Defense could looks good. If the wide outs come to play, if the ASJ hype becomes realism and the offensive line is even average..we'll be alright.

Archived