Did NFL ruin itself by making the league QB centric?

Fibonacci

Ratings are going down. League is transforming into something different. In the new NFL if you have a QB you compete year in year out. If not, you suck until you find a QB.  

Do you think this rating trend continues? If yes, how much of it is due to QB centric league? 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting take, but it's "QB centric" because of the rules which protect the QB. 

Take those away and we have even fewer healthy QBs. 

I like watching good QB play

I'd rather explore options that produce more NFL-ready QBs. Like the league that pays college age players to not go to college, rather hone their skill set and prepare for the NFL. 

I just wish one team (hopefully the Jets) can find success by bucking the trendy new QB-centric offense. I want to see a team really go off the wall and run some flexbone. Not even joking. I'd pay good money for a 5-year experiment with a coach like Paul Johnson at the helm.

1 minute ago, PCP63 said:

I just wish one team (hopefully the Jets) can find success by bucking the trendy new QB-centric offense. I want to see a team really go off the wall and run some flexbone. Not even joking. I'd pay good money for a 5-year experiment with a coach like Paul Johnson at the helm.

I think you'll see that, or something similar, soon. As defenses continue to get smaller and faster in reaction to the QB friendly rules, someone is going to start steamrolling them with a power running game. And then, well, it is a copycat league. 

Yes

By minimizing the significance of the running game, they hurt one of the historically important positions  This coupled with asinine rule changes, burning of tapes, less preparation time for the players and about only three teams having a real chance to win it all in any given year has made the game vastly inferior to the one produced two decades ago.

8 minutes ago, slats said:

I think you'll see that, or something similar, soon. As defenses continue to get smaller and faster in reaction to the QB friendly rules, someone is going to start steamrolling them with a power running game. And then, well, it is a copycat league. 

The big thing with offenses like the flexbone is that people say that bigger and faster NFL players will ruin it. Not taking into consideration that those offenses are run successfully by physically INFERIOR teams, and also that, at the NFL level, the offensive players will be faster and bigger as well.

Then people mention the whole QB getting hurt thing. Honestly, you don't need a stud at QB in a flexbone offense with the right coaching and scheme. I mean, the only real solution teams have found to stop great option schemes if to just hit the QB hard and hope to hurt him. First off, option Abs are taught better than most QBs to absorb hits better. But also, hitting the QB hard every play leaves wide-open cutback lanes that lead to easy TDs.

One thing I love is when coaches try to scrape exchange. May work a couple of times, but when you show your hand, and the QB audibles to a wham, you leave a wide-open hole down the middle. You can also have a second player tracking the LB (look up "Coach Vint" in Google), and you can also have the OT block anything that crosses his face for guys that try to wrong-arm the wham.

Just a game of who has the chalk last, but plenty of ways option teams could counter NFL defenses.

23 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

18 minutes ago, slats said:

I kind of feel like that's what Harbaugh, and the 49ers were doing when they were successful, but then got away from it when they paid Kaep all that money to be the guy, and their defense, and O-line aged out.

56 minutes ago, slats said:

This really only works until you have a third and eight in the fourth quarter of a playoff game, though.

if the NFL wants to fix their ratings, get rid of Thursday Night games. If they want to fix their QB problem, trade the players partially guaranteed deals in exchange for waiving restrictions on practice time. There's no reason Hackenberg, Mariota, Winston, etc shouldn't be in a film room with their QB coaches five days a week, fifty weeks a year. 

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The QB has always been the key position on a football team without a decent one you cant compete. 

Very true. It's always been like that. It's no surprise that the majority of Super Bowl winning QBs are Hall of Famers.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

This really only works until you have a third and eight in the fourth quarter of a playoff game, though.

if the NFL wants to fix their ratings, get rid of Thursday Night games. If they want to fix their QB problem, trade the players partially guaranteed deals in exchange for waiving restrictions on practice time. There's no reason Hackenberg, Mariota, Winston, etc shouldn't be in a film room with their QB coaches five days a week, fifty weeks a year. 

Meh, I think the struggles on 3rd and long are overstated. There's nothing normal NFL teams do on 3rd that any other offense can't do.

Also, completely agree with second paragraph.

The QBs have also benefited greatly from rule changes that neutered DBs .

Completely agree. The very definition of a true shutdown corner went out the door years ago. The fact that a pass interference penalty on a corner wins games on a regular basis is just wrong.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The QB has always been the key position on a football team without a decent one you cant compete. 

Agreed. The new rules have just made it that much more important. Teams just don't run the ball nearly as much.

But when Seattle won it was predicated on defense, running and a decent QB (Wilson was not elite). So you can win with defense and a good run game but having a franchise QB alone guarantees years of success even if you have subpar talent. The Packers would be a disaster without Rodgers. 

I do have a problem with certain QBs getting a lot of penalties called based on who they are. You know who I'm talking about. I guess that will be a benefit once the jets get "their guy".

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Yep. It's asinine to think less practice and less film time would make the league better. Give the players little guaranteed cabbage and let them work year round to get better. Not full contact practices obviously but  some walk throughs and film work could do wonders . Oh yeah, any extra  practice  should be catered with open bar. 

Do I think this rating trend continues?

Yes.

If yes, how much of it is due to QB centric league?

Not much at all. I just don't think millennials are all that crazy about sports tbf. It's mostly the older generations that are still crazy about sports. The younger generation are more casual fans.

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Ridiculous CBA rules, great point and I agree. I think the lack of conditioning and practice time contributes to so many unnecessary injures early on as well.

I do not think there is an owner who would be willing to buck the trend, outside a season or 2.

Ironically enough, even with the rules and video game stats, I think QB play has declined quite dramatically.  How many "locks" for the HOF are playing QB right now?  I say 2, Brady and Rogers w/ guys who are close (Brees and Wilson off the top of my head).  I remember a time when we had Montana, Elway, Young, Kelly, Marino, Moon, Favre and Aikman all playing at the same time.

i wonder how the marginal guys like Simms, Testeverde, Harbaugh, O'Brien, Bono, DeBerg, Hebert and Boomer would look under today's QB rules.

5 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Yes

By minimizing the significance of the running game, they hurt one of the historically important positions  This coupled with asinine rule changes, burning of tapes, less preparation time for the players and about only three teams having a real chance to win it all in any given year has made the game vastly inferior to the one produced two decades ago.

This

4 hours ago, thadude said:

The NBA and NFL both seriously need to reexamine their approach of making the rules so that all games are high scoring.  It's boring and people are tuning out.

It was the most watched NBA Finals since the 90s. YA people are tuning out alright.

While it is true that a lot of the 21st century rule changes have been put in to tip the scales towards the O, scoring, and more QB protection, if there is one thing I learned in my very early days of rooting for this team (1984 - Kotite/O'Donell) is that no team has any legit chance at winning squat when you are woefully undermanned at the QB position. This has been one of the top unwritten rules for time immemorial within this game.

And make no mistake about it, the NYJ were woefully undermanned at QB during that era, ESPECIALLY after 10-1 in 1986.

Kids today and for the last 15 years have avoided sports for video games.  That has more to do with lower ratings than anything else.    The times are a changin  

That has more to do with the monopoly EA has had on NFL more than anything else when it come to football video games. It caused lack of innovation and fostered complacency. EA did not have the best football game at the time they bought the NFL and NFLPA exclusive licenses.  There are a massive amount of issues that are leading to the decline of the NFL. 

It is the Ancient Rome of the sports world.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

12 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. The new rules have just made it that much more important. Teams just don't run the ball nearly as much.

But when Seattle won it was predicated on defense, running and a decent QB (Wilson was not elite). So you can win with defense and a good run game but having a franchise QB alone guarantees years of success even if you have subpar talent. The Packers would be a disaster without Rodgers. 

Wilson had 26 tds with 9 picks and completed 63% of his passes.. When Denver won that was totally on the D..Peyton was 9 td's and 17 picks and Osweiler 10 tds and 6 picks...;) 

16 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Ravens won their first Super Bowl without one, strictly on the strength of their defense. Move that team to today's league and they're a .500 team maybe. Its a different sport altogether now.

The league has been QB centric since forever. In the 80's, we saw Joe Montana, John Elway and Joe Theisman every year. In the 90's how many times did we see Troy Aikman and Jim Kelly in the Super Bowl? If anything, teams that didn't have great QBs started winning in the early 2000s (Ravens, Bucs). So I don't see how this pattern has changed all that much.

Archived