RB dept. - Bilal Powell ~ ~ ~

kelly

Bilal Powell was one of the most productive runners in the NFL over the final month of the season, prompting many to wonder why it took so long to feature him in the New York Jets' offense.

In theory, that shouldn't happen again. Stump Mitchell, the new running backs coach, already is sold on Powell.

"Bilal is a Pro Bowl back if he was playing by himself, make no doubt about that," Mitchell said last week at minicamp.

Ah, but here's the thing: He's not playing by himself. The Jets still have Matt Forte, 31, who managed to survive the offseason roster purge that claimed so many older veterans.Mitchell has a lot of respect for Forte, and the play is to employ a time-share with the two backs. He described Forte and Powell as interchangeable, saying each one is capable of delivering in any situation. At the same time, they're cognizant of Forte's age and they don't want to run him into the ground, which happened last year under the previous offensive staff.

"Matt will have the opportunity to be fresh," Mitchell said. "Really, at the end of 16 games, we want him to feel like he's played eight games."

The Jets haven't provided any definitive statements on the offensive identity they hope to establish under new coordinator Johnny Morton, but it's not hard to connect the dots.Forte and Powell will have the ball in their hands a lot. Mitchell set a lofty goal, saying he wants each one to average 100 yards from scrimmage per game.

"That's not asking too much," he said.

It's not ?

Forte and Powell averaged 77 and 69 yards from scrimmage last season, respectively, so we're talking about a significant increase. Only seven running backs reached the 100-yard mark, led by Le'Veon Bell's 157. None of the seven played on the same team. A good frame of reference is the Atlanta Falcons, which featured a dynamic 1-2 punch -- Devonta Freeman (96 per game) and Tevin Coleman (72)."I have high expectations for them," Mitchell said of his guys, "but my expectations can't be higher than the expectations they have for themselves."

This approach makes sense for two reasons: The quarterback situation is uncertain (putting it kindly) and their receiving corps is young, so the best strategy is to run the ball. Give it to the two most accomplished players on offense and take the pressure off the quarterback.

Everything sounds good in June.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69453/bilal-powell-has-pro-bowl-ability-says-jets-new-running-backs-coach

more re our RB dept.  : 

-- Matt Forte will be the Jets' offensive workhorse this season. Bilal Powell figures to be his regularly-used complement. That's not a bad 1-2 punch, considering they combined for 2,186 total yards a year ago. 

But could rookie Elijah McGuire work himself into the running back rotation?

"He will contribute," running backs coach Stump Mitchell said during minicamp. "He has no choice." 

The Jets selected McGuire, 23, in the sixth round of this year's draft. He's the first running back taken by Mike Maccagnan since he took over as general manager in 2015. The Jets believed McGuire was too good of a talent to pass up at that point, so they didn't. It's not hard to see why they felt that way. McGuire played four seasons at Louisiana-Lafayette. He totaled 5,695 yards from scrimmage, and scored 52 touchdowns. The 5-10, 214-pound back was a threat as a runner (6.1 yards per carry average), but also caught 130 balls out of the backfield. 

Mitchell believes he can bring that versatility to the Jets offense. 

"I like everything (about him)," Mitchell said. "He's got great hands. As a third-down back or simply a back, he can catch the ball extremely well. He has good vision, and a good ability to make cuts. I like him. He's a student of the game and good in the classroom." In organized team activities and minicamp, the Jets used McGuire everywhere. He received reps as a kick and punt returner, and as a back. He worked as the starter on special teams, and after the two starters on offense. As coach Todd Bowles builds trust in the rookie, he'll likely earn even more reps. But as talented as McGuire may be, it's unlikely he replaces Forte or Powell this year. The Jets want him to keep both fresh. Forte and his 2,770 career touches turn 32 midway through the season. Powell has always been a bit injury prone. The Jets can't afford to lose either. 

Considering the (presumed) sorry state of the quarterback positions, the Jets will need a strong running game to keep the offense afloat. If injuries take Forte or Powell out of the lineup, things could get ugly. A few touches here and there for McGuire can not only give the back a chance to show what he can do, but also keep the two men in front of him healthy throughout the year. 

"He wants to be involved," Mitchell said of McGuire. "He doesn't want to sit on the sideline and cheer. He wants to have the opportunity to play. And that's a big part of it."

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/06/elijah_mcguire_will_have_role_with_jets_this_seaso.html#incart_river_index

-- Stump Mitchell hasn't worked with Bilal Powell long. The running backs coach joined the Jets this offseason, and saw the versatile back take a handoff for the first time May 23.But the long-time assistant now knows everything he needs to in order to make a sound judgement on Powell. Needless to say, he's impressed. 

"Bilal is a Pro Bowl back if playing by himself," Mitchell said. "Make no doubt about it." 

It's hard to argue with Mitchell, who spent the last three years as a member of the Cardinals' coaching staff.  Powell has near every athletic feature a coach could want. He's explosive and powerful. An effective receiver out of the backfield and competent blocker. He's knowledgeable and patient.Last season, Powell put all on display. He ran for 722 yards and a league-high 5.5 yards per carry average (of players with at least 120 carries). He caught 58 passes for 388 yards. He scored five total touchdowns. In the Jets' 23-17 overtime victory over the 49ers in Week 14, Powell had 179 total yards and scored the game-winning touchdown.Impressive, no doubt. But there's one downside: Throughout his career, Powell has struggled to stay healthy when used as the featured back. Shoulder, ankle, groin and knee injuries have all taken their toll on his 28-year-old body. 

So while Powell may have Pro Bowl potential, if the Jets want to get the most out of him, they may want to use him as their featured complement. 

Matt Forte is under contract for the 2017 season. The Jets won't abandon him for Powell, or Powell for him. They want them both to be featured on Sundays."I expect those guys each to average 100 total yards a game," Mitchell said. "That's not asking too much. That's production. That's whenever you get the ball, make something happen. That's managing your runs. That's making correct decisions. Those guys are going to be a big part of the offense."Powell and Forte totalled 2,186 total yards a year ago. And that was in Chan Gailey's pass-happy offense. This year, they figure to be even more involved. Considering the uncertain quarterback situation, the Jets will rely on the running game to keep the offense afloat. 

Depending on the development of rookie sixth-round pick Elijah McGuire, this 1-2 punch could even develop into a three-headed monster. "I have high expectations for them," Mitchell said. "But my expectations can't be higher than the expectations they have for themselves." 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/06/jets_have_high_expectations_for_bilal_powell.html#incart_river_index

I'm definitely pulling for McGuire to stay healthy and make a contribution. The Jets passed on a RB in a loaded RB draft up until he 6th round. If they hit on McGuire- even simply as a 3rd down/special teams contributor that would definitely make the decision to pass on a RB early somewhat justifiable. McGuire was incredibly productive in college and he is very versatile. I think the Jets will find a role for him right away. He just needs to stay healthy and keep ballin'.   

34 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I'm definitely pulling for McGuire to stay healthy and make a contribution. The Jets passed on a RB in a loaded RB draft up until he 6th round. If they hit on McGuire- even simply as a 3rd down/special teams contributor that would definitely make the decision to pass on a RB early somewhat justifiable. McGuire was incredibly productive in college and he is very versatile. I think the Jets will find a role for him right away. He just needs to stay healthy and keep ballin'.   

I'd imagine that, barring injuries, his primary contributions this year will be on special teams, with some occasional late game touches or later in the year.  In all likelihood, the Jets' main hope is to send Forte packing next year and then be happy to move forward with McGuire taking his spot in next years 1-2 punch with Powell, with many other positions being a far bigger priority next offseason.

Archived