" Tanking " ? ?... NFL could stop Tanking with a Draft Lottery ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Yeah, because playing a guy with a neck injury to save a season when you haven't won a game yet is the right move, hands down. GM fired. Coach fired. They won two of their last three and almost blew the top pick.

Name the awesome early September move that would have saved that season for them that year.

Also, tell me how good that roster was without a Manning-level QB. REALLY how good they were, not when everyone obviously conspires to get themselves fired, perhaps get cut and lose their market value due to sh*t on-field performance all in the name of getting Jim Irsay a new boo.

Curtis Painter and a 45 year old Kerry Collins are maybe the only 2 qb's I can think of who maybe are as bad as McCown/Petty/Hack so ya maybe the colts did tank

14 hours ago, ricko1112 said:

Goodell is the most corrupt commissioner today. A lottery would be just another way for him to cheat teams. The Colts' "Suck 4 Luck" campaign was blatant and obvious. The Browns were truly bad. The Jets will be really bad. That's not tanking. 

Difference is the Colts weren't planning on tanking until the season was well underway.

They even brought in Collins for millions more to hold them over until Manning returned. We know now he never did return, but a team doesn't max out its spending that year - including a $90m extension for its current QB to clear still more immediate cap room - so they can tank on purpose for another QB.

19 hours ago, jamesr said:

Quite a different definition of tanking than I've seen most places. I'd call that "rebuilding" which many teams do (look at Tennessee, Jacksonville of late, for example. Cleveland for about the past 20 years).

Tanking, to me, is setting out to be the worst team in football to earn the #1 pick in the draft. Deliberately losing.

Deliberately not putting the best team you can onto the field, and deliberately putting the worst team you can onto the field, in the end is a distinction without a difference. The reason is that a team cannot literally command 50+ players and a dozen or so coaches to lose games on purpose, putting the rest of their careers in jeopardy (not to mention getting into a lot of trouble). "Rebuilding" and "evaluating" is the only way to tank on purpose this far in advance.

The team doesn't have winning games as its primary goal, and is treating the 2017 season like 16 games of practice, tryouts, and evaluation. I'm fine with it, mind you, and am fine with letting go of everyone they've released, but that's clearly what it is. That is the only way a team can try to tank the upcoming season, from all the way back in the spring.

9 hours ago, thadude said:

Curtis Painter and a 45 year old Kerry Collins are maybe the only 2 qb's I can think of who maybe are as bad as McCown/Petty/Hack so ya maybe the colts did tank

Who would you have signed? Someone awesome?

So, why did they can the GM? Did he not have the okay from above to sit on his hands? Why did they fire the coach?

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Deliberately not putting the best team you can onto the field, and deliberately putting the worst team you can onto the field, in the end is a distinction without a difference. The reason is that a team cannot literally command 50+ players and a dozen or so coaches to lose games on purpose, putting the rest of their careers in jeopardy (not to mention getting into a lot of trouble). "Rebuilding" and "evaluating" is the only way to tank on purpose this far in advance.

The team doesn't have winning games as its primary goal, and is treating the 2017 season like 16 games of practice, tryouts, and evaluation. I'm fine with it, mind you, and am fine with letting go of everyone they've released, but that's clearly what it is. That is the only way a team can try to tank the upcoming season, from all the way back in the spring.

If the Jets finish 0-16, draft Sam Darnold, spend the cap money wisely and turn the franchise completely around for the foreseeable future, I'm building a statue in honor of Mac, aboard a ******* tank.

16 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

If the Jets finish 0-16, draft Sam Darnold, spend the cap money wisely and turn the franchise completely around for the foreseeable future, I'm building a statue in honor of Mac, aboard a ******* tank.

cool !..

:cool:

Jets fans have no issue with tanking, but don’t approve of owner

629168036-e1498500696901.jpg?w=236

The Jets currently aren’t good. And they seem to be embracing the opportunity to be as bad as they possibly could be. And their season-ticket holders don’t seem to have a problem with that.As explained by Brian Costello the New York Post, a survey of Jets season-ticket holders shows that they have no objection to the team’s apparent tanking.

Question: “What do you think of the Jets’ current plan to get rid of older, expensive players and sacrifice the 2017 season in order to get a high pick in 2018?” Of the 110 who responded, 79 percent approved of the approach. Still, 80 percent of those who responded will still root for the Jets to win.But that’s not because of the current owner. Fifty-six percent of the season-ticket holders said they don’t approve of the job Woody Johnson is doing. For them, the good news is that his brother, Christopher Wold Johnson, will eventually be doing that job, once Woody becomes the U.S. ambassador to the United Kingdom.

Some think that could be better for the Jets, putting someone/anyone else in charge of what could be a long-overdue turnaround of the franchise.

>      http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/26/jets-fans-have-no-issue-with-tanking-but-dont-approve-of-owner/

On 6/21/2017 at 1:57 PM, Gastineau Lives said:

Yeah, because playing a guy with a neck injury to save a season when you haven't won a game yet is the right move, hands down. GM fired. Coach fired. They won two of their last three and almost blew the top pick.

Name the awesome early September move that would have saved that season for them that year.

Also, tell me how good that roster was without a Manning-level QB. REALLY how good they were, not when everyone obviously conspires to get themselves fired, perhaps get cut and lose their market value due to sh*t on-field performance all in the name of getting Jim Irsay a new boo.

Amazing how losing an elite QB makes "a great supporting cast" look not so good anymore. This is why it's interesting when people blame supporting casts when a QB does poorly. A good QB most often MAKES the supporting cast look great. Peyton Manning made Austin Collie a thing for a few years. Cam Newton carried maybe the crappiest WRs in the league to a magical year in 2015 by playing out of his gourd. Of course all the best offenses have "great supporting casts." You put an elite QB on any team in the league and professionals are going to perform well.

On 6/20/2017 at 7:48 PM, Pcola said:

A lottery is just what Goodell and the rest of the billionaires club could want.  Guarantee that the new LA Chargers would have their home town heir apparent to open that multi-billion dollar stadium and where the Jets are continually relegated to second class citizens in our own city.

Sort of OT, but I always thought the fix was in when the Penguins got the #1 after the lockout and got Crosby. That team was talking about moving, etc. 

Ive heard some say the fix was in on Ewing to the Knicks, but I was 6 and don't remember any of that.

On June 27, 2017 at 2:23 AM, Jet9 said:

Sort of OT, but I always thought the fix was in when the Penguins got the #1 after the lockout and got Crosby. That team was talking about moving, etc. 

Ive heard some say the fix was in on Ewing to the Knicks, but I was 6 and don't remember any of that.

You you have to wonder why the ping pong balls are plucked in secrecy.  Sure they say it's for the dramatic, but they way the lottery process is aired, it is with no flair whatsoever.  Sports is the entertainment business.  

Thats why the NBA hates the Warriors.  Four and five game series are not good for business.

11 hours ago, Pcola said:

You you have to wonder why the ping pong balls are plucked in secrecy.  Sure they say it's for the dramatic, but they way the lottery process is aired, it is with no flair whatsoever.  Sports is the entertainment business.  

Thats why the NBA hates the Warriors.  Four and five game series are not good for business.

Wouldn't you think a televised lottery would be better for business as well? 

BTW, maybe a dumb question, but are you in Pensacola? I'm in Orange Beach. 

On June 21, 2017 at 6:59 PM, Gastineau Lives said:

Who would you have signed? Someone awesome?

So, why did they can the GM? Did he not have the okay from above to sit on his hands? Why did they fire the coach?

They fired their GM and head coach for the same reason we should be doing the spam exact thing in 6 months

I don't think the NFL needs a lottery. Hell, tanking assures nothing.

I certainly wouldn't tank for ANY of the recent No. 1 picks, especially if it's a QB.

I keep thinking about Andrew Luck and Jameis Winston. Good QBs that show promise. But wouldn't you rather have Dak Prescott in the 4th round? Saves a lot of money and gets you better surrounding cast, which EVERY QB needs.

4 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Wouldn't you think a televised lottery would be better for business as well? 

BTW, maybe a dumb question, but are you in Pensacola? I'm in Orange Beach. 

Dang, right around the corner.  I lived in Pensacola for 20+ years until last year. I moved to NC last year.  I still own a home and was down there last week.

Surprisingly, there are a ton of Jets fans down there.

3 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Dang, right around the corner.  I lived in Pensacola for 20+ years until last year. I moved to NC last year.  I still own a home and was down there last week.

Surprisingly, there are a ton of Jets fans down there.

See, I feel like me and 2 former co-workers from Philly are the only North East people down here at all. I'm originally from Morris County, NJ and then Brooklyn. They refer to Midwest people as Yankees here. Um...no.

My folks and sister have been living in Salisbury, NC since about '03. I spent 2 months there before moving here for a job. NC is generally a pretty agreeable place IMO.  

• 1 month later...

The New York Jets Are Playing on a Full Tank

— It was early June, the Jets had just finished another ordinary OTA workout, and the players were milling about the locker room when David Harris, the veteran middle linebacker, learned he had been released. Harris was the Jets’ longest-tenured player, a respected leader. His salary wasn’t cumbersome, and he wasn’t blocking any up-and-coming talent. The front office seemed to have no obvious reason to cut him.“I was heartbroken,” says Sheldon Richardson, who was right there when Harris first heard the news. “David Harris has been there for me when I was in tight situations. He’s been a big brother to me, helping me become a better professional.” Richardson seemed to be referring to the summer of 2015, when he was 24 years old and charged for street racing and resisting arrest (and later found guilty). Now here he was hugging Harris and saying an abrupt goodbye.

A few weeks later, Harris signed with the rival Patriots. Richardson spoke with him afterward: “I said, ‘I thought you weren’t going to the Patriots—they did this, man!’ He said, ‘S---, man, I had to. They offered.’ ” By “they did this,” Richardson was presumably referring to the Jets’ current state of futility. After they went 5-11 last year with a roster full of veterans—finishing well behind the Patriots once again—the franchise decided to enter a full rebuild. The front office started by stripping the roster of a few of those pricey veterans (Brandon Marshall, Darrelle Revis, and Nick Mangold), but then the process took a weird turn, when the team released Harris and Eric Decker in June, during summer workouts, well beyond the normal time teams release players. Some outsiders have gone as far as accusing the Jets of purposefully tanking the 2017 season, in order to secure the No. 1 over all pick in 2018—a practice that is more associated with the NBA and almost unheard of in the NFL.

So when the Jets opened training camp last week, the football world was curious. There was no use for updates on the quarterback competition or the two rookies starting at safety or moves on the depth chart. The only question worth asking: Are the Jets tanking?

On Monday, reporters asked two of the people who are most qualified to answer it—and they both deflected it. Mike Maccagnan, the Jets’ general manager, met with the beat writers and expressed some optimism. He even refused to say the word tanking. “I’m not going to put any limitations on what we can or can’t do” this year, Maccagnan said. He later added that he felt this was going to be an “exciting season.” A short time later, Roger Goodell met with local reporters after having sat in on a Q&A session with Jets season-ticket holders. “I don’t think any team tanks,” Goodell said. “I really don’t. I think the teams, depending on where you are, go through transitions. They are looking to sort of say, You know, we need to build more talent here. [We can] do that through the draft. Let’s let some of veterans go and develop some of our younger players. That’s always been part of football. That’s always been part of sports . . . every team does that differently.”

Nevertheless, hundreds of fans flocked to the Jets’ headquarters on Monday afternoon, for the team’s first padded practice and the first practice open to the public. Near the fields, the team set up a fan experience zone in a parking lot, full of interactive games, inflatable slides and obstacle courses. At one station, fans could pose for a picture in front of a picture of the Jets’ locker room. In the lockers, there weren’t any specific player jerseys on display, but rather seven generic jerseys with the number 1 and “Jets” written on the nameplate. No wonder some pundits say the Jets have the worst roster in the NFL.When the players took the field, they went through their normal stretching routine and started their normal drills—and no one appeared to be overtly tanking. All of this talk about tanking has put the players and coaches in an awkward situation. Their pride and their livelihoods are on the line. They have no incentive to tank. No one on the field ever wants to lose. They just try to block out the noise. “We don’t pay that s--- no mind—at all. At all,” Richardson says. “[Pundits] don’t know s---. At all. Other than that, honestly, it’s just staying focused, nose to the grindstone.”

For now, before the season starts, the players are still holding on to some hope. “It doesn’t matter what it looks like on paper, because that’s not necessarily true,” says running back Matt Forte. “If you looked at us on paper last year, you’re like, that team looks like it may be pretty stacked. Didn’t turn out that way . . . The games have to be played. It’s not like a simulation game in Madden, where you automatically finish wherever your team is ranked or whatever.”The coaching staff, meanwhile, is preaching, “Change the culture,” which sounds like a positive way to label the rebuild/alleged tank. With all those veterans gone, there will be a lot of opportunity for a new wave of young Jets. Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye, two rookies, are expected to start at safety. The 25-year-old Quincy Enunwa has a chance to prove he’s a No. 1 receiver. Three of their four projected starting linebackers are 24 years old or younger.

Then there are the quarterbacks. When they started throwing passes on Monday, one fan shouted facetiously, “Three best quarterbacks in the league, baby!” There was Josh McCown, a 38-year-old journeyman the Jets brought in as a stopgap; Christian Hackenberg, a 2016 second-round pick who’s never taken a regular-season snap; and Bryce Petty, a former fourth-round pick. McCown took the snaps with the first team and Hackenberg with the second, but at some point, Hackenberg will likely get a chance to play. The common belief is that if the Jets are indeed tanking, their goal would be to land the top pick to draft a franchise quarterback, and before they do that, they need to thoroughly evaluate Hackenberg.

None of the quarterbacks looked particularly impressive on Monday. They bounced passes short, missed passes wide, and sailed passes high. Most of the time, they kept the passes short, dinking and dunking their way through the drills. The one outlier seemed to be Hackenberg’s arm strength, on the rare occasion he let a pass rip down the field.

At one point, though, Hackenberg had trouble with something as simple as communicating in the huddle during a seven-on-seven drill. Once, when the offense walked to the line of scrimmage, John Morton, the offensive coordinator, ordered them to re-huddle. They did, and Morton stood in the huddle next to Hackenberg. Then they broke the huddle the wrong way again—and Hackenberg was immediately sent off the field.The coaches are harping more on the details this year, Forte says, which is to be expected with such a young team. “We weren’t breaking the huddle right,” Forte says. “It’s about being focused on what’s going on at the time. You’re thinking about the play too much and you’re not breaking the huddle right. I mean, if the defense listens to you break the huddle crisply and run up to the line, they’re like, Whoa. But if they break it and you’re like, uhhhh . . . It’s a mentality.”The next time Hackenberg entered the huddle, he broke it correctly. Then he ripped a pass about 20 yards down field, in between two defenders, for a completion. The crowd roared. McCown ran up, gave him a fist bump, and slapped him hard on the butt.

Does that sound like a team that’s tanking? Well, you be the judge.

>        https://www.yahoo.com/sports/york-jets-playing-full-tank-142916362.html

There is very little problem with tanking in the NFL.  As I've said before it has been a non issue forever, the 1st time the Jets actually purge their roster there is some kind of tanking out cry,  No one berated the colts before getting Luck, no one berated the browns the last 5 years.  Tennessee, Tampa Bay?  Not a sound about them when their teams stunk.

The NBA lottery is a JOKE.  It's rigged.  Every friggin year it's either the Lakers or Celtics winning it if they suck or its the Cavs miraculously getting Kyrie after Lebron leaves or the Pelicans get Anthony Davis right after the owner promises Stern he'll stay in New Orleans or the Magic getting the top pick a year after they drafted Shaq and had the least ping pong ball because they almost made the playoffs

Let Goodell have the lottery and you can kiss Sam Darnold goodbye he'll be a San Francisco 49er

The New York Jets aren't the only AFC East team focused on the future. The Buffalo Bills are, too.And the Bills are attacking it more aggressively than the Jets, which could sabotage New York general manager Mike Maccagnan's perceived master plan.

By trading oft-injured wide receiver Sammy Watkins and cornerback Ronald Darby on Friday, the Bills have added to their stockpile of draft picks. Don't forget, they traded down during the 2017 draft, snagging a 2018 first-rounder from the Kansas City Chiefs in the Patrick Mahomes deal.The Bills' new management team has positioned itself to be a major player in the 2018 draft; the team now has two first-round picks, two second-rounders and two third-rounders.

That will be useful if the Bills decide to dump Tyrod Taylor and seek a franchise quarterback.If the Bills and Jets are trying to trade up to the No. 1 spot to select, say, QB Sam Darnold, guess which team will have the most ammunition to make that happen ?

Not the Jets, who don't have any extra draft picks and aren't projected to receive any compensatory choices. Right now, their best bargaining chip is defensive end Sheldon Richardson.Fans already on board with tanking will no doubt hope the Jets lose all their games, securing the No. 1 pick in the process.

The Jets and Bills face each other in Week 1. Some might call it the Tank Bowl. Clearly, both franchises are competing for more than just one game. They're trying to brighten their futures.

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/70253/dont-look-now-but-jets-are-being-out-tanked-by-bills

• 2 weeks later...

The New York Jets ranked last in DVOA last season, finishing dead last in the AFC East. This offseason, they got worse. The Jets possess the worst roster in the National Football League and it isn’t a close race.

This is the only team that could be jealous of what the Cleveland Browns have at quarterback. Right now, it looks like Josh McCown — a Browns cast-off — will start the season under center. The 38-year old McCown played just five games last season and was just horrible. He had a 35.2 QBR and -269 DYAR, throwing for as many touchdowns as interceptions.The temptation will be to start either Bryce Petty or Christian Hackenberg — two younger quarterbacks — but it’s hard to make a good argument doing so. Thing is, neither Petty nor Hackenberg are good — they’re just young.Petty got what amounted to a tryout last season and had a 5.3 percent interception rate over 133 attempts. He struggled to move the ball down the field and averaged just 3.25 adjusted net yards per attempt.

As for Hackenberg, a second round pick in 2016, all you have to do is watch the tape of Saturday’s preseason game against Detroit to see that he has a long way to go. His accuracy is the same as a blackout drunk guy throwing darts from 100 feet. He has no pocket awareness whatsoever and it’s hard to find something he does well besides arm strength. Despite being a second-round pick on a bad team that needed a quarterback, Hackenberg wasn’t active for one game last season. It’s easy to see why.The receiving corps doesn’t exactly help the situation. After Quincy Enunwa was placed on IR, it looks like Robby Anderson is set to be the No. 1 receiver. Anderson had just 42 receptions for 587 yards last season. He ranked 81st among receivers in DVOA and 80th in DYAR. Second-year man Jalin Marshall will get a fair share of targets as well after his four-game suspension ends. Marshall mostly played as a kick returner in his rookie year, but he caught 14 balls on 23 targets as well. At this point, the Jets will take help wherever they can get it.The Jets did take a receiver in the third round of the draft as well: Alabama’s ArDarius Stewart. Taking a receiver was the right move, but Stewart was the wrong choice. He has good speed and ability after the catch, but Stewart is a sloppy route runner with a tendency to meander at the line of scrimmage. That will hurt him in the NFL, especially when opposing defenses play press coverage, which Stewart rarely saw at Alabama. He can find holes against a zone, but Stewart has hands issues. In this system, where defenses will have the resources to devote attention to Stewart, it’s hard to see him succeeding immediately.At tight end, Austin Seferian-Jenkins is the projected starter, but he’s facing a two-game suspension. Fifth-round pick Jordan Leggett has a solid chance to win the job, in part because Seferian-Jenkins did next to nothing last season and in part because there’s no reason for the Jets to avoid playing their young guys.If any part of the offense has a chance to be competent, it’s the run game. Bilal Powell quietly had a great 2016, ranking fourth among running backs with a 56 percent success rate and averaging 5.5 yards per carry. Matt Forte can contribute as a pass catcher on third down, but don’t be surprised if Powell does that as well. He had 58 receptions last season, nearly double Forte’s total.

Of course, the problem with relying on the run game is that the Jets don’t have a passing game. Teams can load up with eight men in the box without fearing anything against New York and the offensive line is nowhere near good enough to stop them. Newly acquired Kelvin Beachum allowed six sacks with the Jaguars last season, blowing 14 pass blocks in total, per Football Outsiders’ Almanac. His 49.9 PFF grade was 63rd among tackles. Across from him at right tackle, Brandon Shell played just eight games last season but was solid, posting a 79.4 PFF grade. The interior is fine, as left guard James Carpenter is the best player on this line. Right guard Brian Winters won’t kill them. He had a fairly ordinary 75.6 PFF grade last season. The center position may be a disaster. Wesley Johnson played just eight games last year but blew eight pass blocks, per FOA, and had a 53.6 PFF grade. It’s not that this line is especially bad, but it isn’t good enough to withstand teams sitting on the run as the Jets’ opponents will undoubtedly do.The only reason to watch this team on a weekly basis is the defensive line. Despite being godawful in every other imaginable category, the Jets were first in run defense DVOA last season thanks mostly to the trio of Leonard Williams, Sheldon Richardson and Muhammad Wilkerson. Williams, the sixth overall pick in 2015, has quickly developed into one of the league’s best 3-4 ends. His 88 percent run stop rate ranked 17th among defensive linemen last season, per FOA. Williams also had 7.0 sacks, 14 hits and 29 hurries to boot, per FOA. Pass rushing is a part of his game that the Jets focused on developing last season. Richardson had an absurd 91.0 run defense grade from PFF, and his overall 81.6 grade ranked 19th among interior defenders. As for Wilkerson, his 86 percent run stop rate was only a stone’s throw behind Williams’, according to FOA.

Unfortunately, that’s about where the firmly positive aspects of the Jets’ defense begin and end. Without some sudden development on the part of Darron Lee, the linebacking corps is a black hole. Lee had an abysmal 36.2 PFF grade last season to go with a 42 percent success rate in coverage, per FOA. However, at age 23 he’s still redeemable. Next to Lee, Demario Davis is just as bad in coverage. Davis had a 45 percent success rate and allowed 7.7 adjusted yards per target last season with the Browns, according to FOA. At outside linebacker, Lorenzo Mauldin is a solid run defender whose 83 percent run stop rate ranked 14th among edge rushers, per FOA. Across from him, the 23-year old Jordan Jenkins showed some potential as a pass rusher last season. However, it’s tough to get excited about the 2.5 sacks, one hit and 15 hurries he put up, per FOA, especially when he had a paltry 69 percent run stop rate.

New York clearly went into the draft with a plan to solidify the safety position for a long time. They took Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye with their first two picks, including Adams at sixth overall. The book on Adams is that he’s a future box safety who can make a big impact in run defense. He has all the right instincts to do that, but unless he gets better at tackling, run defense could turn into more of a negative than a positive. It could be that Adams becomes a slot corner in the long run — position-wise, he’s pretty versatile. He displayed good hip fluidity and went into the slot as needed at LSU. Expect the Jets to try him in man against big tight ends this season. All things considered, Adams was easily the best safety in this class. As for Maye, the Florida product is a ball-hawk whose tackling ability could make up for Adams’ deficiencies in that department. Maye missed just one tackle last season, per FOA. Speed limitations could keep him from being effective in deep zones, but Maye is good in coverage. If his hip fluidity becomes more consistent — it was choppy at times in college — he’ll be an effective player in the long run. However, don’t expect this duo to wow you this season. They’re both rookies, and the rest of the Jets’ secondary is lacking.The lone exception to the last sentence is Morris Claiborne. He played just seven games last season, but if the 27-year old stays healthy, he is a clear upgrade over Darrelle Revis. Claiborne had a 62 percent success rate last season, albeit over a small sample size, along with an 84.0 PFF grade. At minimum, he’s capable. As good as Claiborne was over a small sample last season, Marcus Williams was just as bad. In a rotational role that saw him play 457 snaps, Williams had an abysmal 36 percent success rate and allowed 11.8 adjusted yards per target, according to FOA. At nickel back, Buster Skrine’s 39 percent success rate ranked 83rd among corners, per FOA. In other words, it won’t be especially hard to beat the Jets in the air.

All in all, the Jets are probably tanking this season. If not, everyone should be fired immediately because it sure looks like it. 2017 is going to be very painful for this franchise. But if they come out of it with the No. 1 pick — likely USC’s Sam Darnold — it will be worth it.

>      http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/either_the_jets_are_tanking_or_everyone_needs_to_be_fired/s1_12680_24572737

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2017 at 2:36 PM, Sarge4Tide said:

The Jets aren't "tanking" - the "allegation" that the Jets  are tanking is just another idiotic pile of bullcrap put forth by the typical coalition of trolls, tittybabies, morons, rival fans, and click bait media clowns.  Because so many of that pitiful ilk have now repeated the idiotic idea, it is now another laughably stupid self fulfilling story that is repeated because so many people are repeating it.  

Getting rid of old, over paid, underperforming players isn't tanking.  

The Jets may  suck in 2017, I don't know, but they aren't tanking and anyone who seriously suggests they are is either having a laugh or suffering from serious cognitive impairment 

Are we allowed to say they are tanking yet?

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:36 PM, Sarge4Tide said:

The Jets aren't "tanking" - the "allegation" that the Jets  are tanking is just another idiotic pile of bullcrap put forth by the typical coalition of trolls, tittybabies, morons, rival fans, and click bait media clowns.  Because so many of that pitiful ilk have now repeated the idiotic idea, it is now another laughably stupid self fulfilling story that is repeated because so many people are repeating it.  

Getting rid of old, over paid, underperforming players isn't tanking.  

The Jets may  suck in 2017, I don't know, but they aren't tanking and anyone who seriously suggests they are is either having a laugh or suffering from serious cognitive impairment 

WE NO TANK. TANKING IS NOT ALLOWED IN THE NFL.

#SUCKFORSAM

Breaking away from the Sheldon Richardson trade and the final cuts, our New York Jets question of the week focuses on one of the main narratives of the upcoming season.

Weird time to be a Jets fan. Do we root to tank? How good are these college QB's, break it down for us. #JetsMail

@RichCimini : It's a fascinating question, Trevor, because I think many Jets fans are conflicted. It's counterintuitive to root for your team to lose, but losing will secure a high draft pick and, in theory, a franchise-caliber quarterback.

There could be three good ones in the 2018 draft -- Sam Darnold, Josh Allenand Josh Rosen. I've talked to several scouts about them and the reviews are positive.Darnold doesn't have a cannon, but he's instinctive, accurate and poised. Allen probably has the highest ceiling because of his arm strength, size and athletic ability, but he needs the most polish of the three. Rosen is the best pure thrower, with mechanics that make scouts giddy, but he's coming off a shoulder injury and some wonder about his personality and commitment.

But here's the thing: There's no guarantee that one of them -- let alone all three -- will become a star. All three have eligibility beyond 2017, so what if they decide to return to school? The Jets are playing a dangerous game, pinning the future of the franchise on three one-year wonders who may or may not enter the draft."The worst boat to be in is that boat, going into the draft and being desperate," a longtime general manager told me this week. "You just hope whoever is there can play."

Plus, ask yourself this question: Are you confident Mike Maccagnan can pick the right guy? The Jets' general manager doesn't have a stellar track record for picking quarterbacks. Exhibit A: Christian Hackenberg.This will be a season like none other, Trevor. You'd like to think there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, but the Jets have been dealing with fool's gold for a half-century.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/70873/desperate-jets-play-dangerous-game-by-tanking-for-2018-quarterback

• 3 weeks later...

-- What in Sam Hill -- or Sam Darnold -- happened to the New York Jets ?

For three hours on a summer-like day at MetLife Stadium, the Jets -- outscored by 34 points in two losses -- actually resembled a good professional football team. Their domination of the Miami Dolphins on Sunday was so complete the Dolphins looked like the tanking team, not the Jets, who won a laugher, 20-6.The Jets almost pitched their first shutout since the final game of the 2009 season, but the Dolphins scored on the final play with a face-saving touchdown.Sorry, doomsayers, there will be no 0-16 season for the Jets (1-2), who elicited two contrasting emotions. Let's call it a split decision: They thrilled their die-hard fans with a complete performance and upset the "Suck for Sam" crowd by potentially damaging their draft position.Maybe that explains why the stadium was half-empty by the start of the fourth quarter. Some fans probably found it hard to stomach the win, as crazy as that sounds.

"Getting a big win like this when everybody said we wouldn't win a game, I guess we proved them wrong," cornerback Morris Claiborne said, smiling.

The Jets have been bombarded with "tank" talk since the spring, but they fueled the narrative by dismantling their roster and leaving themselves with a shaky quarterback situation. No matter how this season plays out, the Jets still need to draft a quarterback next year because Josh McCown, who snapped a nine-game personal losing streak as a starter, is 38 years old and not the future. Neither is Bryce Petty nor Christian Hackenberg, based on what we've seen so far.So, yes, there will be some whiners, but you know what? Good for the Jets. Coach Todd Bowles is trying to rebuild the culture, and the best way to do that is to win games. He's also trying to save his job, and he needs to stack as many wins as possible even though acting owner Christopher Johnson said last week that Bowles won't be judged on the record, only on progress (or lack thereof).

"We block all that stuff out," Bowles said of the dire forecasts. "That has nothing to do with out motivation to win. We're trying to win ballgames because we're trying to get to the Super Bowl, not because we want to prove people wrong."

This was a big step for the Jets, who delivered another "Miracle at the Meadowlands," 17 years after the original. Their defense, which allowed a league-high 66 points in the first two weeks, made Jay Cutler look as if he belonged in the broadcast booth, not on the field. The Jets fixed their problems, and that's a credit to the coaching staff.This may seem hard to believe, but the defense expressed supreme confidence heading into this game. Privately, some players said they'd be able to rattle Cutler because of his penchant for holding the ball.Their plan was to stack the box to contain Dolphins running back Jay Ajayi, putting the game in Cutler's hands. It worked like a charm. Ajayi rushed for only 16 yards on 11 carries and Cutler (25-for-44, 220 yards) threw off his back foot all day. The Jets improved their tackling, displayed excellent gap discipline and limited Miami to only 81 total yards through three quarters.

That is an insane number.

Afterward, several players declined to call the victory a "relief" because "we expected to win games," McCown said. "We expect to win a lot of games. That's our goal, internally."

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/71522/jets-bury-0-16-talk-but-was-their-win-really-a-win-for-the-franchise

• 2 weeks later...

~ ~  nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

If the Jets are tanking, they're doing it wrong

Preseason predictions clearly aren't worth the virtual paper on which they're printed, but the 2-2 New York Jets have already won .. well, two more games than a lot of people seemed to think they would. This week, they go to Cleveland to play the Browns, who have won two of their past 31 games. We're not getting too far ahead of ourselves to imagine a 3-2 Jets team hosting a 2-3 Patriots team on Oct. 15 while holding a share of first place. (The Pats have to drag their tattered defense to Tampa for a Thursday night game this week.)

None of this means you have to take the Jets seriously as a playoff contender, but this is a credit-where-it's-due scenario. Were we underestimating coach Todd Bowles' abilities to persuade his team to play hard for him? Is it possible that the Sheldon Richardson trade, which the Jets had been trying to make happen for more than a year, was addition by subtraction?

Regardless, there are few things better as a sports fan than surprise success. If you're a Jets fan who thought you'd have nothing to cheer for this season, the past two weeks have proved you wrong. Enjoy it while it lasts, dream big dreams, trash-talk your Giants-fan friends and put off worrying about the draft order for a few months.

rest of above article : 

>   http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20898531/what-learned-learn-week-4-2017-nfl-season-nfc-east-road-schedule-favors-philadelphia-eagles

Archived