" Tanking " ? ?... NFL could stop Tanking with a Draft Lottery ~ ~ ~

kelly

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heading into this season, everyone knew the Jets were tanking. Trying to lose. Hoping to be the worst team in the NFL this year so they could get the first pick in the draft next year. Purposely throwing their season in the toilet.

Oh, sure, the Jets themselves denied it, but everyone knew that’s just what teams always say, because tanking is viewed as something nefarious, essentially ripping off your fans when they buy their season tickets. The Jets would deny it but everyone knew this season was going to be a 1-15 disaster.And now we can add preseason predictions about the 2017 Jets to the long list of things “everyone knew” that turned out to be wrong.The Jets are 3-2 after Sunday’s win over the Browns. They’re on a three-game winning streak. Although beating the Browns is no great accomplishment, a week earlier they beat the Jaguars, who are a solid team at 3-2 themselves, and a week before that they beat the Dolphins, who are 2-2. The Jets are in a three-way tie for first place in the AFC East, with the Patriots and Bills. The Jets are most certainly not tanking.

And the truth is, none of their personnel moves that were decried as tanking have really turned out to look so bad. Yes, the Jets got rid of old veterans, but those veterans have been nothing special on their new teams. Receivers Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker aren’t exactly making a lot of big plays on the Giants and Titans. Linebacker David Harris has barely played for the Patriots. Center Nick Mangold and cornerback Darrelle Revis haven’t played at all or even found a new NFL team. Maybe the Jets got rid of all these guys not because the Jets wanted to lose, but because the Jets wanted to win, and they knew all those old veterans weren’t going to help them win anymore.So who is helping the Jets win? For starters, receivers Jeremy Kerley and Jermaine Kearse, both of whom caught all four of the passes thrown to them yesterday. The Jets brought Kerley back after he didn’t pan out in San Francisco this offseason, then brought in Kearse in a trade with the Seahawks that sent Sheldon Richardson to Seattle that also got the Jets Seattle’s 2018 second-round draft pick. Some called that trade a tanking move, but Kearse has been a solid addition this season. Adding those two guys wasn’t about tanking, it was about winning.

And if the Jets actually wanted to lose, they wouldn’t have Josh McCown as their starting quarterback, ahead of the much younger Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg. The 38-year-old McCown has no role in the Jets’ long-term future, but he’s a better player today than Petty or Hackenberg, and he’s starting because he gives the Jets the best chance to win today. That’s not what a tanking team does.Will the Jets stay in first place for long? I doubt it. They play the Patriots next week, and the Patriots will probably win, and next Sunday will probably be the last morning the Jets wake up in first place.But it says something that the Week Six Jets-Patriots game is a legitimately interesting game, one where the Jets have an opportunity to make a huge statement. That’s not the kind of game most people thought the Jets would be playing this season.

I don’t know what the Jets’ final record will be. It will probably be worse than 8-8. Maybe it will be 3-13. The Jets’ roster isn’t all that good. But having a roster that isn’t all that good is not the same thing as tanking. The Jets are trying to win. And succeeding, three weeks in a row.

rest of above article : 

>    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/09/the-jets-arent-tanking-and-other-week-five-thoughts/

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2017 at 2:23 PM, Ecuadorian Jet said:

The only true way to address this issue is to reward winners. Simply reverse the draft order and grant higher picks to teams with most wins. Case solved.

tumblr_m8eqa1Jkzr1r81k5ao4_250.gif

Draft lottery's are good ideas in my mind.  And they have stopped some tank jobs in the NHL.

It's rather irritating to me still that this issue has almost never been brought up in this league until the moment someone thought the jets were tanking, then its a big issue.

The Jets have 100% proven they are not tanking this year by the actions of the coach and the front office.  If we were tanking no vet QB would have been signed or played, the team would not have signed a guy like kerly, they would not have got kearse in a trade.

Ladies and Gentlemen.  After last night, the 'tank' is dead.

tank-crash-army-accident-armored-vehicle     

I hate to say it, but I think we're still playing 'meaningful' games and we need to get on the McCown train for the moment.  This team will probably go 8-8 and just miss the playoffs, but they are fun to watch when they play like they did last night so I'm inclined to enjoy this season after all.

Once more....the tank is dead.

ComposedZanyCat.gif

Just now, nycdan said:

Ladies and Gentlemen.  After last night, the 'tank' is dead.

tank-crash-army-accident-armored-vehicle     

I hate to say it, but I think we're still playing 'meaningful' games and we need to get on the McCown train for the moment.  This team will probably go 8-8 and just miss the playoffs, but they are fun to watch when they play like they did last night so I'm inclined to enjoy this season after all.

Once more....the tank is dead.

ComposedZanyCat.gif

giphy.gif

• 3 weeks later...

We can make the tank decisions the day of the draft when we watch the Jets either:

a) Have to trade the farm to move up to get their QB and thus have no high picks to address the oline and get him weaponszzzz

b Watch as a rival outbids us for the franchise guy we covet and come away with a 2nd tier QB.

At that point in time we can decide if the 6-10 record and those epic McCown wins are still fresh in our happy minds.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We can make the tank decisions the day of the draft when we watch the Jets either:

a) Have to trade the farm to move up to get their QB and thus have no high picks to address the oline and get him weaponszzzz

b Watch as a rival outbids us for the franchise guy we covet and come away with a 2nd tier QB.

At that point in time we can decide if the 6-10 record and those epic McCown wins are still fresh in our happy minds.

Again I think if Bryce Petty was in we would have the same record, so who the QB is makes no difference to me

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

giphy.gif

:chas:

Archived