Anderson and Enunwa; Beasts in the Making

JetBlue

Okay here I go being the glass half full guy I tend to be...  

As much as we talk about the lack of talent on this roster I think we would be more accurate if we use the term unproven or developing, because I actually do see talent, especially at the wide receiver position.  In Robby Anderson and Quincy Enunwa, we have two very talented receivers who should compliment each other nicely.   

A couple of things I noticed in watching these highlights (yes I know they are highlights,  thank you):

Anderson truly has blazing speed and tremendous hops.  If Hackenberg whens the job, I will be interesting to see him throwing the deep ball to this kid.  All he needs to do is to work on his overall strength (especially upper body and arms), and continue to develop is route running.  This guy is a real weapon. 

Enunwa, while not the speedster, Anderson is, is plenty fast in his own right and is built like a freakin Tank. He is a load to bring down in the secondary. His hands continue to improve, as does his route running.

If ASJ and or Legget emerges, Peake continues to develop and we get anything from Stewart or Hansen, our passing offense could suprise.  Of course, we need oline to hold it's own, one of our young qbs to step up (my money is on Hack) and have an effective enough running game to keep defenses a little off balance.  

See, I'm not asking for too much, ;-). 

Robby Anderson Highlights 2016-2017

Quincy Enunwa 2016-2017 Highlights

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Their emergence has made the likes of Marshall/Decker expendable. They may never become #1's but they can be as good as the group of guys Seattle has at WR where defenses can't focus on just 1 guy. If any of the other young kids emerge this year we could have a very good offense for whoever emerges as our QB. Hopefully Hack. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Their emergence has made the likes of Marshall/Decker expendable. They may never become #1's but they can be as good as the group of guys Seattle has at WR where defenses can't focus on just 1 guy. If any of the other young kids emerge this year we could have a very good offense for whoever emerges as our QB. Hopefully Hack. 

Thank JJ.  I agree.   I am hoping the Stewart can become like a hybrid wr/hb and take over in the slot.  He reminds me a little of Montgomery on Green Bay and perhaps he can develop into a similar player for us.   I am truly hoping Hack can win this job outright in camp; I would love to see him develop chemistry with our young receiving corp. 

Just now, Jetdawgg said:

Speed cannot be taught. RA is a pure burner. He and Peake have the real speed to create severe mismatches. The Q also has speed. He brings power and YAC explosion to the O. This is an improvement from last season.

RA has the extra gear that only a few players have.  Q is a combination of power and speed and as you mentioned shows great YAC.   I am predicting that no one is going to miss Decker or Marshall this year. 

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

RA has the extra gear that only a few players have.  Q is a combination of power and speed and as you mentioned shows great YAC.   I am predicting that no one is going to miss Decker or Marshall this year. 

RA legs move so much quicker than the defenders

I believe Robby Anderson has huge potential.  He creates significant separation in such a natural fashion.  If he refines his route running, he will be open all day long.

That said, I was very disappointed to hear about the incident in Miami.  Hope it was just overblown.  Off the field crap is not acceptable.

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

I believe Robby Anderson has huge potential.  He creates significant separation in such a natural fashion.  If he refines his route running, he will be open all day long.

That said, I was very disappointed to hear about the incident in Miami.  Hope it was just overblown.  Off the field crap is not acceptable.

Same here; I hope he learned something from this.  Don't blow this opportunity. 

18 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

As much as we talk about the lack of talent on this roster I think we would be more accurate if we use the term unproven or developing, because I actually do see talent, especially at the wide receiver position.  In Robby Anderson and Quincy Enunwa, we have two very talented receivers who should compliment each other nicely.   

A couple of things I noticed in watching these highlights (yes I know they are highlights,  thank you):

Anderson truly has blazing speed and tremendous hops.  If Hackenberg whens the job, I will be interesting to see him throwing the deep ball to this kid.  All he needs to do is to work on his overall strength (especially upper body and arms), and continue to develop is route running.  This guy is a real weapon. 

Enunwa, while not the speedster, Anderson is, is plenty fast in his own right and is built like a freakin Tank. He is a load to bring down in the secondary. His hands continue to improve, as does his route running.

If ASJ and or Legget emerges, Peake continues to develop and we get anything from Stewart or Hansen, our passing offense could suprise.  Of course, we need oline to hold it's own, one of our young qbs to step up (my money is on Hack) and have an effective enough running game to keep defenses a little off balance.  

now,.. if we only had a qb to throw to them   :rolleyes:

I think Enunwa can be really good, given more opportunities, but it remains to be seen how he does against No. 1 corners on a consistent basis.  The past two years, they could move him around late, which led to much better match ups for him, than Marshall/Decker.  Anderson has great down the field ability, but it also really depends on who our No. 2 receiver is.  Last year, it was Enunwa (after Decker got hurt) and he was good enough to take attention away.  However, one of Peake/Stewart/Hansen has to step up and be good as the No. 2, or Anderson is going to get the Stephen Hill coverage, with press cover and safety over the top.   

I think there is definitely potential there to be good, but it really depends on the other guys as well.  I think Seattle does extremely well with receivers because they draft guys that are technically sound, and Wilson is great with accuracy (especially on the run when plays break down).  However, they coach up the receivers extremely well there with technical stuff.  In fact, I think one of my first posts here was arguing to take Kippy Brown from them.  

If Peake/Stewart/Hansen can be a decent No. 2, then we have the young core and talent we need to succeed.  However, if we don't have that third piece, I think defenses can shut us down.  

1 minute ago, win4ever said:

I think Enunwa can be really good, given more opportunities, but it remains to be seen how he does against No. 1 corners on a consistent basis.  The past two years, they could move him around late, which led to much better match ups for him, than Marshall/Decker.  Anderson has great down the field ability, but it also really depends on who our No. 2 receiver is.  Last year, it was Enunwa (after Decker got hurt) and he was good enough to take attention away.  However, one of Peake/Stewart/Hansen has to step up and be good as the No. 2, or Anderson is going to get the Stephen Hill coverage, with press cover and safety over the top.   

I think there is definitely potential there to be good, but it really depends on the other guys as well.  I think Seattle does extremely well with receivers because they draft guys that are technically sound, and Wilson is great with accuracy (especially on the run when plays break down).  However, they coach up the receivers extremely well there with technical stuff.  In fact, I think one of my first posts here was arguing to take Kippy Brown from them.  

If Peake/Stewart/Hansen can be a decent No. 2, then we have the young core and talent we need to succeed.  However, if we don't have that third piece, I think defenses can shut us down.  

I do think Peake and Stewart (Hansen may also flash) will have important roles as the season goes on, but don't not overlook the importance ASJ and Leggett.  For the first time in forever, we actually have TEs who can get open and catch the ball.  (Leggett just has to show he is willing to block.)   

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I do think Peake and Stewart (Hansen may also flash) will have important roles as the season goes on, but don't not overlook the importance ASJ and Leggett.  For the first time in forever, we actually have TEs who can get open and catch the ball.  (Leggett just has to show he is willing to block.)   

Yeah, if we can get ASJ or Legget to be a legit threat, that also helps as well because Enunwa basically functioned as an H-back for so long.  

I'm excited to see Peake this year, because I think he was awfully raw last year after the injuries during college.  If he can get going, it's a major mismatch with his size and speed.  

Anderson has some work to do, but was definitely a huge ROI for an undrafted rookie.  The question is can step up from being an overachiever given his cost to the Jets, to simply being a good WR all on his own?  He definitely showed flashes, but I think it's fair to say that all of us viewed him in a much better light given how little expectations there were coming in, and that of course won't last.

Enunwa on the other hand I think showed a lot more to be comfortable with, given such a wide range of what he did on the field, playing inside and outside, and running every route imaginable.  The one thing I am really curious to see is how he performs this year, because while I don't expect him to be the kind of guy to come crashing down, there is absolutely no question he is going to get challenged more than ever this year.  Obviously more will be put on his shoulder by the Jets themselves, but not only that, every defense the Jets play is going to make Enunwa their #1 focus in coverage until they are given more than enough reasons to feel otherwise.  He's going to see far more of the oppositions top corners, and he will be the first direction teams will be their rolling coverage.  It will certainly be quite the challenge for him, and it will be interesting to see how he steps up to it.  I think he's shown enough to prove that he's a starting-caliber player, but we'll see how much more than that he can be.  Of course, that's all the more reason for the Jets to sign him now, because if he has a big season as the #1 guy, on the Jets of all teams, his price tag will go through the roof.

25 minutes ago, win4ever said:

It's going to be interesting to see what Enunwa can do as a #1 since (and I could be mistaken) he primarily played the slot in Gailey's system.  The encouraging part about Anderson was he was doing most his work on the outside, granted, Marshall was across the field from him.  So altogether, seeing these guy out there without the presence of Marshall should be interesting.  Anderson needs to put on weight and be more dangerous in those 50/50 ball scenarios.  He just doesnt have much fight when he needs to go up and get it.  I think Enunwa is going to have to figure out a way to get open vs. the best CB on the field which could be troublesome for him.

It's funny, the young WR were the exciting part of this team and the Jets overall seemed deep when we had some actual pros in the line up.  Now?  Who knows WTF they have and it doesnt help they dont have a QB that can consistently get them the ball. 

I'm just curious if they'll fit in this offense or not.

We got some info a week or so back about how Gailey's offense allowed WR's to change the route they were going to run if the defense gave them a certain look. (likely to a predetermined option route)

There's none of that with Morton's O to my knowledge, timing and precise route running will be key, especially with two young QB's trying to get used to the system. How much of their success was based on a call they made at line of scrimmage? And how good are they at filling a more fixed role in the new offense?

Also how do they contend with the added pressure from defensive backs and D coordinator's who are gonna focus on them?

I liked what I saw last year, especially from Anderson, but they've got a huge challenge ahead of them. Enunwa is this close to an extension too, he plays as well as he has the last couple of years with maybe a couple hundred yards more he could see a deal in an early double digit range.

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

you gotta like what both enunwa and anderson have shown so far.  if they can keep their heads in the game they will be pretty potent wide receivers.  here's to hoping they maintain good attitudes throughout the season.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

It's going to be interesting to see what Enunwa can do as a #1 since (and I could be mistaken) he primarily played the slot in Gailey's system.  The encouraging part about Anderson was he was doing most his work on the outside, granted, Marshall was across the field from him.  So altogether, seeing these guy out there without the presence of Marshall should be interesting.  Anderson needs to put on weight and be more dangerous in those 50/50 ball scenarios.  He just doesnt have much fight when he needs to go up and get it.  I think Enunwa is going to have to figure out a way to get open vs. the best CB on the field which could be troublesome for him.

It's funny, the young WR were the exciting part of this team and the Jets overall seemed deep when we had some actual pros in the line up.  Now?  Who knows WTF they have and it doesnt help they dont have a QB that can consistently get them the ball. 

Watch the video the Anderson video again.   He does go up and fight for the ball and in fact took it away from a defender on one catch and out leaped another and came down with the ball.  You have to remember last year he was a rookie but showed very good ball skills on several occasions.  I agree he can stand to get a bit stronger but he has already demonstrated the ability to go up and get a contested ball.

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Oh, awesome... I was wondering if the jettison of Marshall and Decker would revive the old days of "not a true #1 WR" arguments. I hope this is just foreshadowing.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Oh, awesome... I was wondering if the jettison of Marshall and Decker would revive the old days of "not a true #1 WR" arguments. I hope this is just foreshadowing.

bro having five #3's is better than having two ones if my mathematics are correct.

8 hours ago, JiF said:

It'll be interesting to see how defenses play Anderson, because he's a better route runner than Stephen Hill, but he's not consistently beating press coverage with safety help over the top.  Last year, teams would dare the Jets to let Anderson beat them over the top because Fitz couldn't make that throw, and Petty kept going to that throw.  I think the difference will be the second receiver in the lineup, because one of Stewart/Peake/Hansen has to step up and actually be reliable.  If there is that second reliable piece, then these guys become interchangeable, and we can work in multiple groupings and keep guys fresh.  

I have no idea why we moved on from Decker so hastily.  He's not a true No. 1, but he runs very good routes and catches the ball like a very good No. 2 guy.  I would much rather evaluate the QB with Decker around to see how they progress, rather than have that extra roster spot.  I understand, they are looking long term, but his contract was far from horrible, and we didn't get anything for him.  

12 hours ago, JetBlue said:

What I love about Enunwa is his blocking - dude does not get enough credit and matches up to some of the best non-o-lineman in terms of blocking.

I don't think the implementation of actually using TE's in the passing game can be overstated. Leggett is very good but a rookie and ASJ has been phenomenal in camp. This can help the Q and RA in big ways and if they utilize Forte to his strength...the passing game defences will have to account many different passing possibilities.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

15 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Watch the video the Anderson video again.   He does go up and fight for the ball and in fact took it away from a defender on one catch and out leaped another and came down with the ball.  You have to remember last year he was a rookie but showed very good ball skills on several occasions.  I agree he can stand to get a bit stronger but he has already demonstrated the ability to go up and get a contested ball.

Im a big Anderson fan.  I think he breaks out in a monster way with a real QB last season.  He does track the ball well but he can get pushed off the ball pretty easily.  That highlight is nice, it shows he can do it but highlights don't show all the times he got beat in those scenarios and he did get muscled off the ball quite a bit.  He's a small frame guy, it's not a big deal but it's an area that I think can elevate his game if he can just get a little stronger. 

10 hours ago, win4ever said:

It'll be interesting to see how defenses play Anderson, because he's a better route runner than Stephen Hill, but he's not consistently beating press coverage with safety help over the top.  Last year, teams would dare the Jets to let Anderson beat them over the top because Fitz couldn't make that throw, and Petty kept going to that throw.  I think the difference will be the second receiver in the lineup, because one of Stewart/Peake/Hansen has to step up and actually be reliable.  If there is that second reliable piece, then these guys become interchangeable, and we can work in multiple groupings and keep guys fresh.  

I have no idea why we moved on from Decker so hastily.  He's not a true No. 1, but he runs very good routes and catches the ball like a very good No. 2 guy.  I would much rather evaluate the QB with Decker around to see how they progress, rather than have that extra roster spot.  I understand, they are looking long term, but his contract was far from horrible, and we didn't get anything for him.  

Agreed.  Not getting anything for him is the real shame of it.  Numerous teams were literally desperate for a WR and trying to sell me you couldn't get a late round pick for him is just not something I'm buying. 

19 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Anderson has some work to do, but was definitely a huge ROI for an undrafted rookie.  The question is can step up from being an overachiever given his cost to the Jets, to simply being a good WR all on his own?  He definitely showed flashes, but I think it's fair to say that all of us viewed him in a much better light given how little expectations there were coming in, and that of course won't last.

Enunwa on the other hand I think showed a lot more to be comfortable with, given such a wide range of what he did on the field, playing inside and outside, and running every route imaginable.  The one thing I am really curious to see is how he performs this year, because while I don't expect him to be the kind of guy to come crashing down, there is absolutely no question he is going to get challenged more than ever this year.  Obviously more will be put on his shoulder by the Jets themselves, but not only that, every defense the Jets play is going to make Enunwa their #1 focus in coverage until they are given more than enough reasons to feel otherwise.  He's going to see far more of the oppositions top corners, and he will be the first direction teams will be their rolling coverage.  It will certainly be quite the challenge for him, and it will be interesting to see how he steps up to it.  I think he's shown enough to prove that he's a starting-caliber player, but we'll see how much more than that he can be.  Of course, that's all the more reason for the Jets to sign him now, because if he has a big season as the #1 guy, on the Jets of all teams, his price tag will go through the roof.

It is inexcusable to wait to extend him. If he never improves beyond his 2016 season, he's still worth retaining.

Anderson and Enunwa are going to see a whole other level of coverage and game planning this year if they are the #1 and #2 guys.  Those evil no good nicks Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker attracted no attention from other teams last year at all.

Enunwa, prior to this year, has made $1.5m (pre-tax). He's made zero so far this year, he makes nothing all summer long while sweating it out on & off the practice field every day, risking injury in camp, and is months away from his first game check. Those game checks themselves are 16 installments at a low $38,000. He has no nest egg, and isn't going to be able to build one up this year either. He's potentially another 2 years away from inking a retirement money contract.

The way it stands now, next year he could realistically be looking at an RFA tag of $3-4m. If the team tags him at $4m, the only way he makes more is if he can find another team willing to give the Jets their 1st round pick. The way we could (and should) play it, given how many young WRs and how much cap room we have, is that we'll be good with either result and it's believable because it's the truth. It loses its teeth, though, to wait until next year to make this case, as his own waiting time will be that much less.

Even the $4m he'll make next year isn't the nest egg he's looking to retire on (with ~half going to taxes and his agent), but it's breathing room where he wouldn't walk away from the NFL with nothing if he can't make it through what will then be only 1 season. It's such a missed opportunity, especially when the team isn't in contender mode. The price already probably just went up a little bit after dumping Decker, since his value to the team clearly just went up. Regardless, extending him today should still be a significant long term savings over what he'll cost a year from now (never mind a year after that). 

It's a win-win for both sides. Easy for people to say he should just wait and cash in more, because those saying so aren't playing craps with his lifetime of financial security. I'd hope for an extension at around Decker's money, which seems reasonable. I don't know if that's massive overpaying or if he'd scoff at it because it's lower than his dream. But whatever is the lowest we can get him for now, the demand will be millions per year higher in 2018 (never mind how much more if we don't until 2019).

The less a player has made to date, the greater the incentive he has to get a sure-thing deal done earlier for less. This is how a Pittsburgh team was able to lock up Antonio Brown at $8m for the past 5 seasons. The team knew his price would go up by millions per year. So did Brown, but Brown also knew he could be two seasons (and two summer camps and two playoffs) away from getting a contract worth tens of millions. He got a lifetime of security without risking it all on two more NFL seasons, and the team got an early bird discount. Similar to Green Bay with Jordy Nelson, Pittsburgh again with DeCastro, Texans with Watt, Pats with Gronk, and many others.

Archived