Sheldon needs to STFU volume XII

Jet_Engine1

Thank you Sheldon Richardson for following up with what Matt Forte already said about this team not tanking. 

Granted, we dont believe the team will do well, but doing poorly and tanking are two different things. Sheldon getting backlash for saying the right thing is stupid. 

I cant wait for the season to start. This has to be one of the weirdest offseasons in recent memory. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, phill1c said:

This is about you and your issues with Sheldon Richardson and the Jets. It's stinks of issues you have that are really not with these statements but with the franchise and with the player's past statements and performance. So, to be fair, you can't tie everything that you're REALLY angry about to THIS statement, which is pretty much the right thing to say to a question he was asked. To me, it sounds like you're saying "if you haven't won, you can't say anything, even the right thing..." and that is just plain wrong. This is the United States, not Saudi Arabia.

Thirdly, I'm here sporadically. YOU'RE here every waking moment. But, to your point, I do feel somewhat diminished debating this incredibly unimportant issue.

Finally, you can't say it's meaningless and then go on to say it has a big impact. Well you can, but you lose a lot of credibility.

Wow. Congrats! You broke the code. My issues w Sheldon being a loser and the Jets being a dysfunctional joke are the root issue here.  

Well, Duh.

And I'd like to see them both manage their approach much better. Sheldon to STFU and the Jets to have a real Marketing/PR dept capable of muzzling ignorant cancers and putting their best player reps forward. 

As to my time spent online vs not. Lol. When business is slow I post. When it's not I don't. Feel free to track my activity if you like. 

Finally I can say that it is meaningless (bc sports are ultimately meaningless) AND it is important to the operations of the business. It's called scope. Also it's my right to say whatever I want because this is not Saudi Arabia. Hehe. 

And to be clear, I am salty at the Jets, not you for disagreeing with my take (of all things to get bent out of shape over lol).  I don't push that on other posters though unless directly provoked. I got no issue with you, but you are beginning to make it personal. You can choose to continue that or not.  I promise not to care either way.

20 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

And lets stop with the he was playing out of position noise. He played predominantly on the DL and did NOTHING.  Guy is a quitter and a self serving pos. He will take every opportunity to spout of to the media and cause distractions at every turn.

the guy is basically a 3 tech and they play him at 4-3 DE like red bryant. He's good but can't really get to the QB from the edge. Leonard Williams and mo got all the DT reps. Sheldon absolutely played out of position. His stats were also depressed because of  a 4 game suspension, and that's obviously no one's fault but his own.  

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

the guy is basically a 3 tech and they play him at 4-3 DE like red bryant. He's good but can't really get to the QB from the edge. Leonard Williams and mo got all the DT reps. Sheldon absolutely played out of position. His stats were also depressed because of  a 4 game suspension, and that's obviously no one's fault but his own.

I mean by that logic anytime he's not lined up over the guard attacking the B gap he's "out of position".  Now sure, a lot of Bowles idiotic scheming is an issue, but he's still on the field, rushing the inside lanes. That's "in position" for a DL in this scheme as far as I'm concerned.  When Bowles had him at "OLB" in 2015 rushing the passer from the edge he was a non-factor as expected.  But when he was asked to push the middle of the pocket in 2016 he was equally ineffective. You can say his stats were depressed because he's not in a system that fits his skillset perfectly (like say a Tampa2), and that's fine, but he gets no pass for that.  Lee is also miscast in a 3-4 based model.  So what?  They need to adjust and produce, or get lost.  And when they totally quit on their team, they get all the hatred and venom spit their way - as they should.

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You mean exactly like what Dallas offered up to us on a silver platter last season? 

Instead, the decision was: be a pig!

3c7222c2edb86bf1fd5645ab88d162ba.jpg 

Must be great fun to play poker with Mike Maccagnan. Or at least a great way to make a few quick bucks. 

10 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

Smart teams manage their brand like good corporations. We are not a smart team.

Yes in the grand scheme of things it's ALL completely meaningless. It's sports. It's a form of escapism. Yet we are all still here debating every little thing.

Just because the NFL encourages players to speak doesn't mean the teams need to accept it and just take a hands off approach to how they are presenting their players. In the sense of a team managing it's own brand, players representing the team well is actually very important and needs to be closely managed.

Not sure why you are getting salty about it. I just want my team to operate like a professional outfit.  I know they have not and likely won't.  But I can still blast them for failing at that and adding what I think they should be doing if they want to operate like a functional, respectable organization. You want to dismiss it as pablum, fine. But I can guarantee you that any smart GM will look at how this guy represents the Jets and ask himself if having this kind of guy spouting off idiocy on a microphone to the media is good for his teams image. This is the entertainment business after all. And, yes, what they say has a big impact on how they are valued.

If Richardson was the exact idiot he currently is but with 22 sacks, mess of forced fumbles, and a host of game-breaking big plays, we would be writing sonnets in his honor. As silly as his too many pronouncements are, if he produced, who GAF what he says. One of the problems with the suck is you start focusing on stuff that doesn't matter in the wins and losses. 

10 hours ago, Bugg said:

If Richardson was the exact idiot he currently is but with 22 sacks, mess of forced fumbles, and a host of game-breaking big plays, we would be writing sonnets in his honor. As silly as his too many pronouncements are, if he produced, who GAF what he says. One of the problems with the suck is you start focusing on stuff that doesn't matter in the wins and losses. 

That's where we disagree. I'm generally of the opinion that the little things are what define the franchise and organization. Unceremoniously dumping Mangold and Harris like the second rate joke of a franchise that we are shows us exactly who Woody is and how he runs his operation. For me, as a fan, I want to be proud of the team I root for and see them do all of the little things right. I'm not expecting perfection, just an attempt at doing everything the right way. That is what makes the dysfunction of this little trust fund baby's sad operation all the more infuriating. I want to win, but I want to win with class and with a team of players that we can be proud to represent our favorite team. The little things always matter in that regard. They set the tone for the organization and establish the culture.  Sadly, we have no organization and our culture is whatever the coaches and players make it out to be as a group. To me these things are more important than watching a team win. Lowlife scumbags may be a inevitable part of the NFL, but it doesn't mean we have to like it and simply accept them for being who they are just because they can help us win. If Sheldon had 22 sacks, I'd still want him gone. So maybe that makes it harder to compete with that mentality. Well, that's fine. I wouldn't want to win if it meant sacrificing integrity. Look at the Patriots. Their success is incredible. I wouldn't want to have it at the cost of the legacy of the team and always being known as a cheating outfit with no integrity or class or respect for the game.  They may be winners, but they will never be champions. I'm rooting for a champion. For champions, every step on the journey matters.

On June 27, 2017 at 3:59 PM, bitonti said:

Yeah what the heck was the point of Bowles playing 4 man fronts with Ruchardson as the edge rusher?  

That would be like Girardi playing Aaron Judge at Shortstop 

27 minutes ago, thadude said:

Yeah what the heck was the point of Bowles playing 4 man fronts with Ruchardson as the edge rusher?  

That would be like Girardi playing Aaron Judge at Shortstop 

I'd be interested in a breakdown of his allignments.  I seriously doubt he is lined up wide or oven on the outside shoulder of the tackle and being asked to come around the edge like the LEO in the 4-3 Under.  If it's like this guy says and he's in a similar setup to Bryant, he'd more likely be be the closed or strong side defensive end playing the 5 Tech which is the same role he has as a DE in our base defense. But like I said, I'd love to see a real breakdown.

On 6/27/2017 at 3:59 PM, bitonti said:

I remember during the Arizona game Bowles had him more at ILB and end than he did tackle and the results were disastrous. And for some bizarre reason he kept doing it. How on earth anyone can put the blame on Sheldon in that instance is nuts. That would be like getting mad at Enunwa for not performing if Bowles tried him out at OT.

12 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

I'd be interested in a breakdown of his allignments.  I seriously doubt he is lined up wide or oven on the outside shoulder of the tackle and being asked to come around the edge like the LEO in the 4-3 Under.  If it's like this guy says and he's in a similar setup to Bryant, he'd more likely be be the closed or strong side defensive end playing the 5 Tech which is the same role he has as a DE in our base defense. But like I said, I'd love to see a real breakdown.

It is not hard to find:  Debunking the myths surrounding the Jets' Sheldon Richardson

Tracking Sheldon

A look at Sheldon Richardson's snap counts by position during his past three seasons with the New York Jets.

POSITION 2014 2015 2016
Right/left end 317 235 387
Right/left tackle 390 180 231
Outside linebacker 43 158 76
Inside linebacker 18 24 11
Nose tackle 9 6 27

13 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

It is not hard to find:  Debunking the myths surrounding the Jets' Sheldon Richardson

Tracking Sheldon

A look at Sheldon Richardson's snap counts by position during his past three seasons with the New York Jets.

POSITION 2014 2015 2016
Right/left end 317 235 387
Right/left tackle 390 180 231
Outside linebacker 43 158 76
Inside linebacker 18 24 11
Nose tackle 9 6 27

Fair enough, and I saw that when it came out too.  But it still doesn't tell us where he was lined up.  Left/Right End is not enough info.  You can be playing 5 tech and be an end or you can play wide 9 and be an end, or an OLB...it's semantics a lot of the time. Not like getting a breakdown of where he was lined up from the 0-9 standpoint.

D-line-alignment-and-gaps-copy.png

15 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

Fair enough, and I saw that when it came out too.  But it still doesn't tell us where he was lined up.  Left/Right End is not enough info.  You can be playing 5 tech and be an end or you can play wide 9 and be an end, or an OLB...it's semantics a lot of the time. Not like getting a breakdown of where he was lined up from the 0-9 standpoint.

D-line-alignment-and-gaps-copy.png

You want a ******* miracle?  The teams considering trading for him probably don't have all the info you want.  You can tell where he is lined up, but that doesn't even tell you what all of his responsibilities were.  Rex in particular ran a ton of looks where guys lined up in one spot but had other responsibilities.  Not sure the purpose of your chart, most of us played high school. That isn't particularly complicated.   I'm not going back to watch all the games, but you can do it.  

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You want a ******* miracle?  The teams considering trading for him probably don't have all the info you want.  You can tell where he is lined up, but that doesn't even tell you what all of his responsibilities were.  Rex in particular ran a ton of looks where guys lined up in one spot but had other responsibilities.  Not sure the purpose of your chart, most of us played high school. That isn't particularly complicated.   I'm not going back to watch all the games, but you can do it.  

With all these stupid websites like PFF and their "metrics based analysis", I'd have to assume that it is out there for anyone who wants to go get it.  I'm sure as hell not going to bother paying for that garbage though.  And, as to the chart, I never assume football fans on a message board played the game, I find that most casual fans don't know much at all about how the game is played, so when I reference playing 5 or 3 tech, a courtesy graphic might be helpful to some. As to the depth of the analysis, the all-22s are out there if people wanted to do the actual breakdowns. This sport has 24/7 coverage yet almost nobody does any actual analysis. We can say he lined up as a DE or DT or OLB, but none of it means anything without proper context. 

Archived