Derek Carr makes as much as Jets' highest-paid skill players -- 17 of them ~ ~ ~

kelly

A few years ago, the Oakland Raiders were the current New York Jets: perennial also-rans who rebooted by gutting their roster. They created a ton of cap space, spent money in free agency and drafted two cornerstone players, Derek Carr and Khalil Mack. They suffered through another three losing seasons and a coaching change, but it finally clicked last season with a playoff appearance.

On Thursday, the Raiders took another big step, locking up their franchise quarterback -- Carr -- with a reported five-year extension for $125 million.The Raiders' ascent shows there is hope for the Jets, but it will take time, patience, smart decision-making and, yes, a little bit of luck. Carr lasted until the 36th pick of the 2014 draft, proof that not all elite quarterbacks are found at the top of the draft. Imagine how the Cleveland Browns feel; they passed on Carr three times, once for Johnny Manziel.

In case you're wondering, the Jets took Calvin Pryor with the 18th pick and now he plays for the Browns. That's called the circle of life for downtrodden franchises.

Right now, the Jets and Raiders are at opposite ends of the team-building spectrum. The Raiders just committed an obscene amount of money to a 26-year-old quarterback, giving them long-term stability at the most important position. The Jets? Well, they're living in a different world. They will have their fourth different opening-day starter in six years, and there's a very good chance it'll be five in seven years in 2018.

There's also the money.

Consider this mind-blowing comparison: Carr's $25 million average per year, reportedly the highest in NFL history, is the same as the combined APY of the 17 highest-paid skill-position players on the Jets' current roster.We're talking about three quarterbacks, four running backs, two tight ends and eight wide receivers.

Is that crazy or what ?

By dumping Eric Decker, Brandon Marshall and Nick Mangold, the Jets eliminated three large salaries from their books. Their new highest-paid player on offense is left tackle Kelvin Beachum ($8 million per year).

A look at each skill position and the top salary (based on APY) :

Quarterback: Josh McCown ($6.5 million)

Running back: Matt Forte ($4 million)

Wide receiver: ArDarius Stewart ($844,000)

Tight end: Austin Seferian-Jenkins ($1.3 million)

Except for McCown, Forte and Bilal Powell ($3.75 million), everybody in the skill category is making the minimum salary or slightly above it. Someday, maybe, the Jets will have a quarterback worthy of a megadeal. In the meantime, they should follow the Raiders' blueprint.

Just grin (and bear it), baby.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/69564/derek-carr-makes-as-much-as-jets-highest-paid-skill-players-17-of-them

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Oh look at my boy Glenn up in this piece ensuring a Paxton Lynch v Deshaun Watson AFC Championship Game this year.

I wanted Lynch on draft night.  Wasn't happy with the Lee pick.  Watson, not so much.

But if we're going to grade other draft picks the same way we're grading Mac's, Paxton Lynch is a bust.  Should prolly pack his bags now.

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

I wanted Lynch on draft night.  Wasn't happy with the Lee pick.  Watson, not so much.

But if we're going to grade other draft picks the same way we're grading Mac's, Paxton Lynch is a bust.  Should prolly pack his bags now.

#Actually, if Hackenberg started two games last year, went 1-1, threw 2 TDs and 1 pick, showed some confidence and toughness, we'd all be feeling preeeeetty good about him right now. But, it'd be moot because if we had a QB put up Trevor Siemian's numbers, Bowles and Maccagnan would have signed him to a $125 million dollar deal already and the fans would have erected a statue outside the stadium.

53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

#Actually, if Hackenberg started two games last year, went 1-1, threw 2 TDs and 1 pick, showed some confidence and toughness, we'd all be feeling preeeeetty good about him right now. But, it'd be moot because if we had a QB put up Trevor Siemian's numbers, Bowles and Maccagnan would have signed him to a $125 million dollar deal already and the fans would have erected a statue outside the stadium.

Yes, of course.  Your optimism and fair-minded approach toward players picked by Mac is well documented.  Much in the way you've had so many good things to say about Brandon Shell who was much better at RT than Lynch was at QB.  

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yes, of course.  Your optimism and fair-minded approach toward players picked by Mac is well documented.  Much in the way you've had so many good things to say about Brandon Shell who was much better at RT than Lynch was at QB.  

I will admit I'd have less pejorative things to say about Mike Maccagnan if he won a super bowl two years ago.

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

The "we" in this scenario is snarky message board posters, right? Because in the physical world populated by people and actions and consequences, Maccagnan is secure enough in his job that he spent his first two picks on ******* safeties this year.

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I will admit I'd have less pejorative things to say about Mike Maccagnan if he won a super bowl two years ago.

I know, right.  How did he not win a ring with what Idzik left him?

Probably didn't even try to bring back Dimitri Patterson to be his no. 1 CB.

7 hours ago, AFJF said:

Concern with Lynch is that he's dumb as a rock and has a slow release. Those two factors usually spell doom for QB in the current NFL. I actually do believe Hackenberg has a higher ceiling than Lynch. Lord save me from empty predictions, but there it is. I said it.

2 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Concern with Lynch is that he's dumb as a rock and has a slow release. Those two factors usually spell doom for QB in the current NFL. I actually do believe Hackenberg has a higher ceiling than Lynch. Lord save me from empty predictions, but there it is. I said it.

He's not without flaws,but I'd like them to take a QB every year.

Also thought Gailey would hang around for a couple years to work with him.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

I know, right.  How did he not win a ring with what Idzik left him?

Probably didn't even try to bring back Dimitri Patterson to be his no. 1 CB.

Comparing Idzik's tenure to Maccagnan's as though it helps Maccagnan gives ultimate credence to my observation that, while fans claim they hate Mehta and Cimini, the great majority of them end up regurgitating almost verbatim what they write. 

Stages of Mehta-Cimini Inception Syndrome

1. Rage at article

2. State that article is fallacious

3. Decide that Cimini/Mehta are the antichrist

4. Wait three days

5. Find yourself believing and repeating thing Cimini/Mehta wrote three days prior.

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Comparing Idzik's tenure to Maccagnan's as though it helps Maccagnan gives ultimate credence to my observation that, while fans claim they hate Mehta and Cimini, the great majority of them end up regurgitating almost verbatim what they write. 

Stages of Mehta-Cimini Inception Syndrome

1. Rage at article

2. State that article is fallacious

3. Decide that Cimini/Mehta are the antichrist

4. Wait three days

5. Find yourself believing and repeating thing Cimini/Mehta wrote three days prior.

Word...Idzik prolly didn't even sign Dimitri Patterson....vast media conspiracy made it all up.  

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Word...Idzik prolly didn't even sign Dimitri Patterson....vast media conspiracy made it all up.  

Compare the $3 mil Patterson signing with the $50+ mil Maccagnan gave to Marcus Gilchrist, Buster Skrine, and Antonio Cromartie.

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Compare the $3 mil Patterson signing with the $50+ mil Maccagnan gave to Marcus Gilchrist, Buster Skrine, and Antonio Cromartie.

All fun in hindsight, but when you're finding replacements for Dimitri Patterson, Ras-I Dowling and that other guy, you gotta splurge.

Hopefully Mac sticks to Idzik's theory of "draft a starting player every other year" to get the franchise back on track.

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

All fun in hindsight, but when you're finding replacements for Dimitri Patterson, Ras-I Dowling and that other guy, you gotta splurge.

Hopefully Mac sticks to Idzik's theory of "draft a starting player every other year" to get the franchise back on track.

Difficult to reconcile how Maccagnan will draft a starter every other year if he's actively trying to rebuild every three.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Difficult to reconcile how Maccagnan will draft a starter every other year if he's actively trying to rebuild every three.

First time around he was cleaning up Idzik's mess of a roster while trying to import some of his guys through the draft.

Now his first draft class enters their pivotal third season.  I'm looking forward to seeing how those guys come along.  I think Leo and Simon will be around for a bit.  Petty might be a solid back up and it's a big season for Mauldin unless he really did clock that little guy in Queens.

Possible that class results in 3 starters and back-up QB.

I think that's more than Idzik accomplished with 19 picks.

13 minutes ago, AFJF said:

First time around he was cleaning up Idzik's mess of a roster while trying to import some of his guys through the draft.

Now his first draft class enters their pivotal third season.  I'm looking forward to seeing how those guys come along.  I think Leo and Simon will be around for a bit.  Petty might be a solid back up and it's a big season for Mauldin unless he really did click that little guy in Queens.

Possible that class results in 3 starters and back-up QB.

I think that's more than Idzik accomplished with 19 picks.

:stretches hamstrings:

:does a few quick lunges:

:checks hair in mirror:

:shoots two finger-guns at reflection:

So tell me more about this needing one's first two years to clean up the mess from the prior GM.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

:stretches hamstrings:

:does a few quick lunges:

:checks hair in mirror:

:shoots two finger-guns at reflection:

So tell me more about this needing one's first two years to clean up the mess from the prior GM.

:puts down glass of wine on the Southern France rooftop terrace and laughs:

Yes, because every GM enters identical situations with the same needs.

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

:sips large regular Dunkin Donuts coffee and chokes:

I...

:takes another sip:

Go on, you effete eurotrash refugee

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

How much money do you think the next GM will have to spend to replace Lee and Davis

Funny you say that but Carr is backed up by a top notch defense, stud receivers and backs and the second best oline. 

It's amazing how you put a legitimate QB onto a team with professionals and suddenly the whole team performs well. If Geno were on that team, we would be talking about how it was Latavius Murray's fault they only won 6 games but now, finally, with a HOF RB this year we can actually evaluate him properly (of course Beast Mode wouldn't come out of retirement to play for Geno anyway). Until next year when after another pathetic performance we are blaming Marshawn Old Man Lynch for running out of gas down the stretch.

Fact is stud QBs elevate those around them. So yeah Raiders looking good. Imagine if defenders were preparing for the same exact team minus Carr plus Geno. Totally different story.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived