Jets Fans Hoping Broncos’ Lynch Isn’t Repeat of Idzik’s Carr Wreck

IMG_1880.jpg?fit=2136%2C1857

By Glenn Naughton

In another case of “what could have been” for the New York Jets in their never-ending search for a franchise quarterback, the recent mega-contract handed to Derek Carr by the Oakland Raiders, a deal said to be worth up to $125 million over five years, is another punch in the gut for Jets fans who have endured decades of inept play at the position. Now those same fans will sit and watch how things transpire with Christian Hackenberg, hoping current GM Mike Maccagnan didn’t make a blunder similar to that of former GM John Idzik.

In the 2014 NFL draft, the Jets were on the clock with the 18th overall pick.  Carr, a highly touted quarterback who was viewed by some as a first round talent, was staring Idzik in the face.  Idzik had a chance to reverse the fortunes of a tortured franchise and steal Carr in the middle of the first round, but instead opted to stick with his hand-picked savior in Geno Smith, allowing him to go with defense (yet again) at 18.

IMG_1183.jpg?resize=300%2C293

John Idzik had enough faith in Geno Smith to pass on Derek Carr.

Earlier that season, Idzik had attended a game at the University of Louisville and was smitten by Cardinals safety Calvin Pryor.  A defender with a reputation for making highlight reel hits, but who was limited in coverage. Faced with the choice of Carr or Pryor, Idzik went with Pryor.  Carr would slide to the Raiders at the top of round two, who may now have the game’s best young quarterback, wile Pryor’s failed tenure with the Jets ended a few weeks ago when he was traded to the Cleveland Browns.

When the Jets open training camp in just over a month, all eyes are expected to be on second-year quarterback Christian Hackenberg as he tries to win the starting job in a competition between against Josh McCown and Bryce Petty.  Not exactly a murderer’s row of quarterbacks.

IMG_1664-1.jpg?resize=325%2C217

GM Mike Maccagnan passed on Paxton Lynch and took Darron Lee two drafts ago.

Should Hackenberg fail to get the starting nod, some of those same eyes will be shifting to take a peek out west to see how things are unfolding with the Denver Broncos and Paxton Lynch, the quarterback many fans were clamoring for when the Jets chose Ohio State linebacker Darron Lee in last year’s draft.  With only Geno Smith and Bryce Petty on his roster, current GM Mike Maccagnan passed on Lynch in favor of Lee.

Maccagnan isn’t thought to be on the hot seat in the eyes of owner Woody Johnson, nor should he be, but if Hackenberg is a bust, and Lynch lights it up, that could change in a hurry.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
wbelDjA15Q4

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hi, Glenn. As the only guy on this website who wanted to use a first rounder on Derek Carr, I can state with high certainty the the pick the Jets *should have made* in real time was Teddy Bridgewater, who was a better prospect by leaps and bounds. Check this thread for some sizzling hot takes from that draft period.

*EDIT: gotta credit my homeboy @sourceworx, who called Carr "the best QB in the draft" in that thread.

One post after Source's is the real gem...

Woulda. Coulda. Shoulda.

TBQH I could care less if Lynch is good or not. The errors were sticking with QB's that were obviously not the answer, yet our GM's couldn't see it or refused to see it. It was obvious Sanchez and Geno was not the guy. Now, thus far (stress thus far) it appears Hack is not the guy.

All goes back to how you draft. Some say draft QB every year till you find one. Others say draft a 1st or 2nd rounder and give them four or more years before trying again. Judge for yourself how the second plan has been working out.

• Upvote 2

What I thought was the most interesting in that draft was the first pick in round 2 was Houston - who needed a QB, but passed on carr sending him to Oakland - Carr for sure was the pick but Houston couldn't pull the trigger because they had drafted his older brother at #1 and he sucked - the fans would have gone crazy if they took him lol way to listen to your fans!!! Lol was mcags involved in that debacle for Houston ? Lol.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Hi, Glenn. As the only guy on this website who wanted to use a first rounder on Derek Carr, I can state with high certainty the the pick the Jets *should have made* in real time was Teddy Bridgewater, who was a better prospect by leaps and bounds. Check this thread for some sizzling hot takes from that draft period.

*EDIT: gotta credit my homeboy @sourceworx, who called Carr "the best QB in the draft" in that thread.

Yes!  I said Zach Martin!!!

If I recall, Teddy was your guy.  This scenario just had him gone already.  

4 minutes ago, jetsfan_toronto_canada said:

What I thought was the most interesting in that draft was the first pick in round 2 was Houston - who needed a QB, but passed on carr sending him to Oakland - Carr for sure was the pick but Houston couldn't pull the trigger because they had drafted his older brother at #1 and he sucked - the fans would have gone crazy if they took him lol way to listen to your fans!!! Lol was mcags involved in that debacle for Houston ? Lol.

No way, he was pounding the table for Carr

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Woulda. Coulda. Shoulda.

TBQH I could care less if Lynch is good or not. The errors were sticking with QB's that were obviously not the answer, yet our GM's couldn't see it or refused to see it. It was obvious Sanchez and Geno was not the guy. Now, thus far (stress thus far) it appears Hack is not the guy.

All goes back to how you draft. Some say draft QB every year till you find one. Others say draft a 1st or 2nd rounder and give them four or more years before trying again. Judge for yourself how the second plan has been working out.

Over the last decade or so, the Jets have drafted more QBs than any other team in the league. They fall much more into your category #1 than #2. How has that been working out? 

it's quite simple by picking a QB in the second round you are allowing yourself some flexibility ... drafting in the first round demands immediate and impactful results. Few knew what Carr would turn out to be.

Next years First round pick will seal the fate of this regime ... good or bad.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

He has to earn it. 

Despite the majority on this site, I agree with you, I think the coaching staff has approached the situation correctly.... But like you say here... Has to earn playing time... He didn't earn it last year... so how did he spend the off season and did it fuel his fire to earn some playing time... We will see but I think he will.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You also said marital can't throw a football 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

Over the last decade or so, the Jets have drafted more QBs than any other team in the league. They fall much more into your category #1 than #2. How has that been working out? 

Counting late round flyers is not the same as drafting QB's.

We may have picked "the most" but we certainly didn't pick the best, highest ranked or highest selected.

Instead we roll for half a decade with obvious known losers like Geno, dogs hit from day 1, and pass on. Enter prospects while some folks say the same old wait and see need weapons and a fifth year foolishness.

Now we have Hack, and because he was such a massive reach and couldn't even play in garbage time last year for fear of his fragile self....we have little to go out n to predict his future as yet, so again we pass on superior prospects. We'll see if it works out but history says it will not. That we'll waste three more years waiting on Hack and passing on prospects and filling in with JAG vets till we take another legitimate swing at a #1 QB.

So we'll see.

I'm not gonna sweat over players the jets didn't pick when they had the chance playing well because there are ALWAYS going to be players like that. But these two players don't even make sense to harp on.

Was Carr really the one that got away in 2014? I thought fans were on the Cooks train back then? Carr was a moderately coveted QB that year, a fringe first rounder that some draftnik's loved but others were underwhelmed by. Every other NFL team, including QB hungry ones, passed on this guy at first- I suppose because they didn't like his value in round one. That non-pick is not gonna keep me up at night, misjudging Pryor and a whole lot of mid-round picks is a much more damning part of that draft.

And Lynch? What about Lynch? He was another guy who showed round 1-2 promise that wasn't exactly can't miss. What matters is how the picks Mac made did, same with the Pryor pick for Idzik.

Maccagnan isn’t thought to be on the hot seat in the eyes of owner Woody Johnson, nor should he be, but if Hackenberg is a bust, and Lynch lights it up, that could change in a hurry.

There fixed it for you.

As a 50 year fan of this franchise and of the game itself, the Hack pick looked like a big reach.
An in spite of all the fans who insist that he must get a chance , franchise QB's step up and take the opportunity. From all the reports we keep hearing he continues to struggle with the pro game. This after one full year in the system, sorry everyone, but the cream of the crop have always grab the bull by the horns and forced there coaches to play them. Not because of where there picked,because there play leaves no doubt about there ability.
This is neither the case with either of our young QB's. which is why you have a Josh McCown now on the team. All the time in the world is not going to make a difference if it's not there in the first place.
I hope I am dead wrong and more then willing to eat a month worth of crow, yet my 50 years tells me our franchise QB is still not on this team.
In closing I also have to ask the question, with a young experienced arm like Kappernick still available,why the hell would you bring in McCown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

In closing I also have to ask the question, with a young experienced arm like Kappernick still available,why the hell would you bring in McCown?

Because by all accounts McCown is a team guy that likes to help young QBs develop and Kap by all accounts is the exact opposite.

McCown knows his role.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I think Collin has gotten a bad reputation due to his stand against injustice and the way he chose to express it.
Yet, from a football stand point, he is by far ,the more superior QB then any presently employed by the Jets.
This notion of developing the young guys is quite contrary to the fan base wishes to tank and bring another rookie next year anyway.
Seems both Hack and Petty are not long term answers the way things are playing out. So bring in McCown to mentor them is a joke, considering he has already said he has every intention of being the starter.

• Thumb Down 1

I'm not going to kill Idzik for passing on Carr.  In retrospect, yes it looks horrible because Carr became a successful QB, but that's more with hindsight than anything else.  

Geno Smith finished his rookie season with a 66 rating, 44 QBR, while Carr finished with a 76 rating and 45 QBR, and his team went 3-13.  

The final 4 weeks of the season, Geno finished with the second highest QBR (next to Manning) which seemed to show that he was improving as well, and hitting his stride.  I can't blame a GM for investing a first round pick on a QB that wasn't a surefire thing like Luck, when he just got promising signs from the second round QB he picked the year before.  Yeah, the Panthers picked Cam after Claussen, but Cam was a special talent, and the only reason to pass on him at the time was off the field concerns.  

Geno's tenure went downhill the moment Decker got hurt in that Packers game, because after that it was a crap show of talent around him.  Kerley, Greg Salas, Owusu, Amaro, David Nelson, Jeff Cumberland, Sudfeld, and Harvin.  

Oakland actually did a good job of surrounding Carr with talent, and it helped to develop the QB.  Cooper and Crabtree, with good third options like Holmes, and last year Seth Roberts.  It also helps to have a good RB like Murray.  

We tried to do the same thing with Marshall/Decker/Ivory but IK got in the way.  In retrospect, absolutely, I would have loved if we picked up Carr, but i can't blame the GM for not doing so.  I do blame him as heck for picking Calvin Pryor over Clinton Dix when we badly needed a FS instead of a SS, and then waiting so long to get in on the best WR class in memory.   

Replace Pryor/Amaro with Dix/Robinson and I'd say Idzik and Ryan still have a job here.  

Paxton Lynch was horrible last year with a team that won the Superbowl the year before, and a very good receiver core.  Why would anyone worry if he's the one that got away?  They draft Chad Kelly last this year, and their fans are gushing about the possibility of him starting this year, or Trevor Simiean.  That's like saying New England is wondering if Devin Smith is the one that got away two years ago.  

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I'm not going to kill Idzik for passing on Carr.  In retrospect, yes it looks horrible because Carr became a successful QB, but that's more with hindsight than anything else.  

Geno Smith finished his rookie season with a 66 rating, 44 QBR, while Carr finished with a 76 rating and 45 QBR, and his team went 3-13.  

The final 4 weeks of the season, Geno finished with the second highest QBR (next to Manning) which seemed to show that he was improving as well, and hitting his stride.  I can't blame a GM for investing a first round pick on a QB that wasn't a surefire thing like Luck, when he just got promising signs from the second round QB he picked the year before.  Yeah, the Panthers picked Cam after Claussen, but Cam was a special talent, and the only reason to pass on him at the time was off the field concerns.  

Geno's tenure went downhill the moment Decker got hurt in that Packers game, because after that it was a crap show of talent around him.  Kerley, Greg Salas, Owusu, Amaro, David Nelson, Jeff Cumberland, Sudfeld, and Harvin.  

Oakland actually did a good job of surrounding Carr with talent, and it helped to develop the QB.  Cooper and Crabtree, with good third options like Holmes, and last year Seth Roberts.  It also helps to have a good RB like Murray.  

We tried to do the same thing with Marshall/Decker/Ivory but IK got in the way.  In retrospect, absolutely, I would have loved if we picked up Carr, but i can't blame the GM for not doing so.  I do blame him as heck for picking Calvin Pryor over Clinton Dix when we badly needed a FS instead of a SS, and then waiting so long to get in on the best WR class in memory.   

Replace Pryor/Amaro with Dix/Robinson and I'd say Idzik and Ryan still have a job here.  

Paxton Lynch was horrible last year with a team that won the Superbowl the year before, and a very good receiver core.  Why would anyone worry if he's the one that got away?  They draft Chad Kelly last this year, and their fans are gushing about the possibility of him starting this year, or Trevor Simiean.  That's like saying New England is wondering if Devin Smith is the one that got away two years ago.  

Good for you, @win4ever for putting it directly in @AFJF's face. That was a brutal takedown. I'd self-ban if I was Glenn.

Every argument that's based on how the Jets should have supposedly drafted Carr in the first immediately invalidates everything else trying to be said.  An argument can be easily enough made that the Jets shouldn't have let Geno stop them from going QB again, but the idea that the QB would have been Carr is fabricated nonsense based on absolutely nothing but pure hindsight.  Another two QBs came off the board after the Jets and before Carr, both of whom would have been far more likely to be the choice if the Jets were willing to go QB.  If they had gone Manziel, that would have been mind-numbingly stupid even at the time, but Bridgewater would have been a very realistic option, and who knows how that would of worked out for the Jets.  There's no reason to believe the Jets would have taken Carr there under any circumstances, and the evidence suggests no team would have.  As if this pile of crap team doesn't give us enough to hate them for, do we actually need to fabricate more?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1