The Franchise QBs: Rank the top signal-callers in Jets history

Gas2No99

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Rex was the only good thing we got out of Favre, b/c he sabotaged 2008 it led to rex who gave us the best chance we have had to get to a SB since the 1968 season.

There was absolutely nothing good about Rex, he was and always will be a complete and utter piece of sh*t

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, dbatesman said:

How does anyone even read the title of this article without collapsing into hysterical laughter?

A more interesting topic would be Who are the worst 5 QB's in Jets history. Yep much more thought provoking. 

55 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Fielder was Jewish, so he's #1. At least for well.....us.

Lol Fiedler not Fielder.

Nice jewish kid from Long Island but about as durable as a piece of hamantaschen.

Think he  lasted about 12 seconds for the Jets.

i don't mind the list or even the order. the thing people seem to forget is namath had a loaded team.  he had a great offense to go with his ability.  once he started getting injured and the getting old or retiring and not being replaced he didn't do as well.  pennington gets a huge pass because he was injured so much.  the guy definitely had leadership skills to spare and did make the players around him better. todd? obrien? both those guys had some really nice players on offense.  the best thing todd did was toss serby in a locker. obrien was probably the best pure passer the jets have had but he also hung onto the ball too long and took way too many sacks. vinny? how can anyone be against vinny.  he came in and played lights out.  don't ask how he did it because up to that point he never showed ability matching his draft position.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

1.  Namath

2.  Sanchez

The rest were dogsh*t, spare me the story about your O'Brien wall poster or your Pennington bobblehead.

SAR I

maybe but the thing about sanchez is had the team and he gave it away because he either wasn't mature enough or his coaches were horse's azzes.

i don't mind the list or even the order. the thing people seem to forget is namath had a loaded team.  he had a great offense to go with his ability.  once he started getting injured and the getting old or retiring and not being replaced he didn't do as well.  pennington gets a huge pass because he was injured so much.  the guy definitely had leadership skills to spare and did make the players around him better. todd? obrien? both those guys had some really nice players on offense.  the best thing todd did was toss serby in a locker. obrien was probably the best pure passer the jets have had but he also hung onto the ball too long and took way too many sacks. vinny? how can anyone be against vinny.  he came in and played lights out.  don't ask how he did it because up to that point he never showed ability matching his draft position.

Regarding Vinny, if you write off Namath's success as the result of having a loaded team, you'd be interested to read this article about how Vinny vastly outperformed the expected level with his horrible teams he played with:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/index3a5c.html?p=5449

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Regarding Vinny, if you write off Namath's success as the result of having a loaded team, you'd be interested to read this article about how Vinny vastly outperformed the expected level with his horrible teams he played with:

1 minute ago, jgb said:

i'm certainly not saying namath's success was only because of his loaded team but the fact still remains that the super bowl jets team was easily the equal or better than the colts in just about every way. as for vinny, he did have some hard luck being drafted by tampa and then moving on to cleveland.  the jets team was the best one he played for.

but i also think that circumstances have a lot to play as to whether a qb succeeds or fails.

No one can credibly argue Joe Willy isn't #1.

My purely selfish scale has Vinny at #2 because my best living Jets memory is going into the 2nd half of the 1998 AFC championship game... God it felt like our year. However, being objective, longevity does matter so I can see why most wouldn't rank him that highly.

On 6/26/2017 at 11:42 AM, Kleckineau said:

Jets franchise QBs?

A list?

Dont know if 2 is considered a list but you have #12 and #7.........thats it.

#7 is not a franchise QB.  I would take Todd over O'Brien.  O'Brien with a ton of talent never won a playoff game.

18 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its more of look at the other choices and state how he not top 4.

he inherited a loaded team in a weak AFC and couldn't even win a playoff game.  he is vastly overrated by Jet fans.

17 hours ago, NoBowles said:

There was absolutely nothing good about Rex, he was and always will be a complete and utter piece of sh*t

yeah it sucked going to back to back title games and having 2 chances at Super Bowls for the first time in our history.  damn that Rex!  I am glad we have a genius of a HC now who really has done nothing but great things while choking away the playoffs 2 years ago and leading an embarrassment a year ago that was supposed to compete in the AFC.

17 hours ago, Larz said:

Namath is one of the coolest athletes of all time.  His arm was so strong you could hear the ball whipping through the air. You can make the case his contract with the AFL was one of the first factors that lead to the merger, and the Jets victory in SB III was the last. 

Can we at least not hate on him? 

Namath was "cool", one of the first celebrity athletes and he helped bring attention to this game which led it to become our most popular sport.  He is the most important player in jets history and maybe pro football history BUT he is not the best Jet in history and not even in the discussion for one of the best QBs of all time.

1 hour ago, SpartanJet said:

1. Namath

2. Favre 

3. O'Brien 

4. Vinny

5. Todd

10000000.  The noodle arm fraud

This list makes me sad

it makes me sad to see Jet fans put favre in the top 5 when he literally did nothing for this franchise.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

yeah it sucked going to back to back title games and having 2 chances at Super Bowls for the first time in our history.  damn that Rex!  I am glad we have a genius of a HC now who really has done nothing but great things while choking away the playoffs 2 years ago and leading an embarrassment a year ago that was supposed to compete in the AFC.

Rex took over a loaded roster. Bowles took over nothing. I'm not a Bowles apologist but to compare the two situation is ridiculous. Look at the team Rex had in year 1. Rex led multiple embarrassing teams as well...

And if your argument is going to be that in Rex's final season the GM didn't give him a good team, well look at the team Bowles had last year...

34 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Rex took over a loaded roster. Bowles took over nothing. I'm not a Bowles apologist but to compare the two situation is ridiculous. Look at the team Rex had in year 1. Rex led multiple embarrassing teams as well...

And if your argument is going to be that in Rex's final season the GM didn't give him a good team, well look at the team Bowles had last year...

so loaded that w/ a future HOF QB the year before, a MUCH easier sched and NO Tom Brady around we couldn't even make the playoffs.

we had a nice roster, he maximized it including the biggest win in franchise history outside of the 1968 season.

the team Bowles had last year was light years ahead of any Rex had from 2012-2014 and the 2015 Jets were as talented as the 2009 or 2010 Jets and Bowles couldn't even get us to the playoffs.

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

so loaded that w/ a future HOF QB the year before, a MUCH easier sched and NO Tom Brady around we couldn't even make the playoffs.

we had a nice roster, he maximized it including the biggest win in franchise history outside of the 1968 season.

the team Bowles had last year was light years ahead of any Rex had from 2012-2014 and the 2015 Jets were as talented as the 2009 or 2010 Jets and Bowles couldn't even get us to the playoffs.

Even big Jenkins only played 7 games in 2 years for Rex which is the same amount of games Leon lasted in 09.. Plus if Mangini had developed his 06 2nd rd pick Clemens maybe he could have helped when Favre was hurt in a Brady less 09 season..;)

22 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Even big Jenkins only played 7 games in 2 years for Rex which is the same amount of games Leon lasted in 09.. Plus if Mangini had developed his 06 2nd rd pick Clemens maybe he could have helped when Favre was hurt in a Brady less 09 season..;)

People forget we lost Jenkins and leon in 2009(arguably our 2 most important players on O and D at the time), missed pace for 4 games(Gholston started 3-4 games in case we forget), Ellis was suspended a game.  in 2010 we lost Revis for a few games, Mangold, Cotch, Leonhard, Woody, Holmes was suspended 4 games, I think pace was suspended a game and we overcame.  Rex did a great job most of his time here.  the only bad years were 2011 and 2014, other than that we overachieved every single season.

Favre was fine, he was the iron man. he doesn't get the injury excuse.  if he played smarter we have a chance to win the AFC.  he was mediocre/bad most of that 2008 season.

12 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Glen Foley was inspiring when he was able to stay on the field.

Interesting note- G;enn Foley never started and finished a win as a New York Jet,  he has one career win under his belt as a starter for us and he got hurt w/ us leading 10-0 in Chicago in 1997.

Glenn did do a nice job coming off the bench where he helped us beat NE and Bal in 1997.

12 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

AJ Duhe says hi......oh by the way Todd was fukin terrible.

Todd wasn't great, he was mentally soft,  but he was a better QB than O'Brien. BTW, the AJ Duhe game was the AFC Championship game, something O'Brien never even got a sniff of.

On 6/26/2017 at 9:15 PM, jgb said:

When Vinny went down in game 1 1999 trying to recover the compilers fumble the Jets went 1-6 so much for loaded team theories.. If you don't get decent play at the QB position it's hard to win period..

The Franchise QBs: Final rankings of the top signal-callers in Jets history

9:00 AM ET

How do your final rankings of the top quarterbacks in every team's history compare to ours?

We've identified the top all-time quarterbacks for every NFL team, and asked our NFL Nation beat reporters -- and you, the fans -- to help us determine each signal-caller's place in franchise history.

What follows is the final ranking of the top quarterbacks in New York Jets history, both from our NFL Nation reporter and our final fan polling.

NFL Nation ranking:

1. Joe Namath

2. Ken O'Brien

3. Chad Pennington

4. Vinny Testaverde

5. Richard Todd

Namath is the most famous player in franchise history, a Hall of Famer who led the Jets to their only Super Bowl title (January 1969). His passing stats weren't dazzling, but "Broadway Joe" was a must-see talent and a cultural icon. He brought relevance to the Jets and the AFL, leading to the AFL-NFL merger. O'Brien was a gifted passer and one of the NFL's top quarterbacks in 1985 and 1986. Unfortunately, people only remember his later years, when he was beaten down by too many sacks. Pennington is 14th on the league's all-time list for passer rating, one spot behind the legendary Joe Montana. Pennington's career was star-crossed; he missed part of his prime because of multiple shoulder injuries. Testaverde delivered arguably the best passing season in Jets history -- 29 touchdowns, only seven interceptions in 1998. He led them to within one quarter of the Super Bowl. Todd's career flamed out after a five-interception debacle in the 1982 AFC Championship Game, a crushing loss to the Miami Dolphins. -- Rich Cimini

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

The Franchise QBs: Final rankings of the top signal-callers in Jets history

9:00 AM ET

How do your final rankings of the top quarterbacks in every team's history compare to ours?

We've identified the top all-time quarterbacks for every NFL team, and asked our NFL Nation beat reporters -- and you, the fans -- to help us determine each signal-caller's place in franchise history.

What follows is the final ranking of the top quarterbacks in New York Jets history, both from our NFL Nation reporter and our final fan polling.

NFL Nation ranking:

1. Joe Namath

2. Ken O'Brien

3. Chad Pennington

4. Vinny Testaverde

5. Richard Todd

Namath is the most famous player in franchise history, a Hall of Famer who led the Jets to their only Super Bowl title (January 1969). His passing stats weren't dazzling, but "Broadway Joe" was a must-see talent and a cultural icon. He brought relevance to the Jets and the AFL, leading to the AFL-NFL merger. O'Brien was a gifted passer and one of the NFL's top quarterbacks in 1985 and 1986. Unfortunately, people only remember his later years, when he was beaten down by too many sacks. Pennington is 14th on the league's all-time list for passer rating, one spot behind the legendary Joe Montana. Pennington's career was star-crossed; he missed part of his prime because of multiple shoulder injuries. Testaverde delivered arguably the best passing season in Jets history -- 29 touchdowns, only seven interceptions in 1998. He led them to within one quarter of the Super Bowl. Todd's career flamed out after a five-interception debacle in the 1982 AFC Championship Game, a crushing loss to the Miami Dolphins. -- Rich Cimini

this is one of those times when it's really embarrassing to be a Jet fan.  what a terrible list.

17 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

AJ Duhe says hi......oh by the way Todd was fukin terrible.

Todd had won TWO playoff games before the Duhe game(both on the road) which is TWO more than Ken ever won.

In 6 playoff games(all on the road) Sanchez threw 9 TDs, 3 INts and led O's to 20 PPG and 4-2 record

In 3 playoff games w/ 2 at home(2 starts but the one he came off the bench went to double OT and he led O to 10 pts in 5 qtrs) Ken O'Brien threw 2 TDs and 4 INTs while leading his O's to 11.3 PPG(and I gave him credit for a Pat Ryan TD in '85) and 0-3 record(officially 0-2 but came in during tie game at Cle and did nothing all game)

In 4 playoff games(3 road) Richard Todd threw 4 TDs and 12 INTs while leading O's to 20 PPG and 2-2 record

Archived