The Franchise QBs: Rank the top signal-callers in Jets history

Gas2No99

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

what was Buffalo playing for in week 17 of 2015?

they weren't resting guys but their best offensive player didn't play(McCoy) and others didn't play like Clay. 

that game should have been a layup, switch the coaches that day and we easily win.

How did we do against the Bengals a week later on the road in the playoffs? better than we did against beat up playoff-less Buffalo in week 17 of 2015, right?

we had a bad end to 2011 and rex played a role in that.  we had just come off 2 title game apps, you cvan forgive him for that.

It's amazing- a golden opportunity against a dead Bills team to get to the playoffs you say "it happens" then you bash the franchise leader in playoff wins when he didn't get us their 3 years in a row(something that has NEVER happened in NYJ history- we have only made back to back PO apps a few times and Rex led us to one of those back to back apps)

Once again, the Jets blew it in week 17. I'm not arguing they didn't. Fitz put them in a whole early. He stinks. But the Bills didn't lay down for them like the Colts and Bengals did for Rex in 2009. Just be fair thats all.

Bad losses happen. It happens lol, should they just shut down the franchise when they lose a big game? No, you move on from them and try and get better.

The 2009 Jets were better than the 2015 team.

I'm not bashing Rex for not getting us there 3 years in a row. But i'm not excusing his performance after his first 2 seasons because we won a couple of playoff games in them. Good job. But that doesn't give you a lifetime pass from criticism. 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

But going by your criteria why give him credit for going 8-8 when it doesnt matter because he didnt make the playoffs? Who cares if the team should have been a 4 or 8 win team, again, going off your criteria?

Bowles didn't have a roster to compete last year. It was atrocious, hence why most of them are gone...

his 2013 job was one of the best in the league over the last decade.  In 2015 the team had deep playoff talent and couldn't even get to the playoffs.

in 2016 some of the guys got old and some got hurt but they had much more talent than the 2013 Jets yet were MUCH, MUCH worse.

16 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Once again, the Jets blew it in week 17. I'm not arguing they didn't. Fitz put them in a whole early. He stinks. But the Bills didn't lay down for them like the Colts and Bengals did for Rex in 2009. Just be fair thats all.

Bad losses happen. It happens lol, should they just shut down the franchise when they lose a big game? No, you move on from them and try and get better.

The 2009 Jets were better than the 2015 team.

I'm not bashing Rex for not getting us there 3 years in a row. But i'm not excusing his performance after his first 2 seasons because we won a couple of playoff games in them. Good job. But that doesn't give you a lifetime pass from criticism. 

Fitz put them in a hole early? I was NOt a Fitz fan but that was a total team effort, O, D, STs.  about the only guy who played like he wanted to win(and not Bowles scared) was Brandon Marshall.

bad losses do happen but when it's your only real chance at the playoffs in a decade those losses hurt more.

2009 and 2015 had similar talent, 2009 had better coaching and a QB not scared of the big moment.

Rex deserves criticism, he doesn't deserve to be treated like he's Rich Kotite or Todd Bowles.

Just now, nyjunc said:

his 2013 job was one of the best in the league over the last decade.  In 2015 the team had deep playoff talent and couldn't even get to the playoffs.

in 2016 some of the guys got old and some got hurt but they had much more talent than the 2013 Jets yet were MUCH, MUCH worse.

The 2015 team didn't even have a QB. But yet they had this deep playoff talent? They were built better in 2009 and 2010 to because they had an O-Line that could protect the QB and better defenses.

The 2015 team had a great D-Line, pretty good secondary, great skill players on offense but they had an average at best O-line, a QB while he was having a great season for his standards nobody really trusted. The 2015 team was a good team and with that schedule definitely should have made the playoffs, but deep playoff talent is a bit of a stretch when your QB is a journeyman who never made it to the postseason.

The 2015 team blew it, but you're giving a coach credit for going 8-8 because you like him. They beat to bad teams in their building down the stretch of that season and won a game in Miami against a Dolphins team that was just like them. He had the team at 5-4 and they finished 8-8. That's not this amazing job you're making it out to be.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

Fitz put them in a hole early? I was NOt a Fitz fan but that was a total team effort, O, D, STs.  about the only guy who played like he wanted to win(and not Bowles scared) was Brandon Marshall.

bad losses do happen but when it's your only real chance at the playoffs in a decade those losses hurt more.

2009 and 2015 had similar talent, 2009 had better coaching and a QB not scared of the big moment.

Rex deserves criticism, he doesn't deserve to be treated like he's Rich Kotite or Todd Bowles.

That's fair. It wasn't just Fitz, the D played bad too. But the team also came back and Fitz missed a wide open Ivory (when the team was also in FG range and posied to take the lead) in order to force a ball to Decker who was never open and the ball was picked. He was brutal that day.

2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The 2015 team didn't even have a QB. But yet they had this deep playoff talent? They were built better in 2009 and 2010 to because they had an O-Line that could protect the QB and better defenses.

The 2015 team had a great D-Line, pretty good secondary, great skill players on offense but they had an average at best O-line, a QB while he was having a great season for his standards nobody really trusted. The 2015 team was a good team and with that schedule definitely should have made the playoffs, but deep playoff talent is a bit of a stretch when your QB is a journeyman who never made it to the postseason.

The 2015 team blew it, but you're giving a coach credit for going 8-8 because you like him. They beat to bad teams in their building down the stretch of that season and won a game in Miami against a Dolphins team that was just like them. He had the team at 5-4 and they finished 8-8. That's not this amazing job you're making it out to be.

they had a vet QB that set franchise records for TD passes. you are telling me that was not better than a raw rookie w/ far less talent to throw to?  we had a good OL in 2015 too.

Miami was at home playing for their first playoff app since 2008 and we had rookie Geno Smith.  That 2013 team overachieved as did all of rex's teams outside of 2011 and 2014.

2 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

That's fair. It wasn't just Fitz, the D played bad too. But the team also came back and Fitz missed a wide open Ivory (when the team was also in FG range and posied to take the lead) in order to force a ball to Decker who was never open and the ball was picked. He was brutal that day.

I was not a Fitz guy, he didn't play well but that was a team loss starting w/ awful coaching.  the HC didn't have his team ready to play, the HC of the team w/ nothing to play for had his team ready.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

he was really good in Philly in 2014.  hasn't had a chance other than that.  

Sanchez was better than O'Brien and Todd.  this game is about winning not meaningless fantasy #s.

Keep dreaming slurpy.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Keep dreaming slurpy.

take those Ken O'Brien posters off your wall, he wasn't a good QB and the only playoff win he was ever a part of was after he was benched and his backup came in and led the team to victory.

8 hours ago, nyjunc said:

he was really good in Philly in 2014.  hasn't had a chance other than that.  

Sanchez was better than O'Brien and Todd.  this game is about winning not meaningless fantasy #s.

He was not really good in Philly. He was, overall, average at best. He was being handed the starting job in Denver and wound up cut instead. He's third string on the Bears for a reason; it has to do with his ability. 

7 hours ago, nyjunc said:

take those Ken O'Brien posters off your wall, he wasn't a good QB and the only playoff win he was ever a part of was after he was benched and his backup came in and led the team to victory.

Being critical of Kenny O will never make Buttfumble more than the huge bust he was and is. Sanchez sucked and was carried by the team around him, and his career after leaving shows how sh*t he was, is, and always will be. Which is why his lame supporters never cite what HE did, and always cite what the TEAM did in his time here.

So keep on slurping, because if either of us has a poster of a half naked QB on our walls, it'd be you looking dreamily into Buttfumbles eyes slurpy.

On 6/26/2017 at 11:42 AM, Kleckineau said:

Jets franchise QBs?

A list?

Dont know if 2 is considered a list but you have #12 and #7.........thats it.

I know... Stupid Todd... and if Pennington could have stayed healthy.. Kenny O' had the tools and no offensive line... if the Jets put any money into his line I truly believe Kenny O could have been that guy... 

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

Being critical of Kenny O will never make Buttfumble more than the huge bust he was and is. Sanchez sucked and was carried by the team around him, and his career after leaving shows how sh*t he was, is, and always will be. Which is why his lame supporters never cite what HE did, and always cite what the TEAM did in his time here.

So keep on slurping, because if either of us has a poster of a half naked QB on our walls, it'd be you looking dreamily into Buttfumbles eyes slurpy.

Kenny O wasn't a bust.

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

I know... Stupid Todd... and if Pennington could have stayed healthy.. Kenny O' had the tools and no offensive line... if the Jets put any money into his line I truly believe Kenny O could have been that guy... 

Quite a few Pro Bowlers on that line plus Pat Ryan never had a problem and won a playoff game and had a rushing td 2 things lead foot Kenny never did..

15 hours ago, slats said:

He was not really good in Philly. He was, overall, average at best. He was being handed the starting job in Denver and wound up cut instead. He's third string on the Bears for a reason; it has to do with his ability. 

he was REALLY good, against the MUCH tougher portion of the schedule his led that O to almost a TD MORE per game.

he was never handed the job in Denver, he was a safety net in case their young guys weren't ready.

we couldn't even get to the playoffs w/ much easier sched and no Brady in 2008 w/ HOFer Favre and we make back to back title games w/ Mark yet Jet fans back Favre and bash Mark.  this is why we deserve teams like the 2016 Jets.

13 hours ago, Warfish said:

give me a bust that holds the franchise record for playoff wins any day.

Mark was a VITAL part of those runs, we don't make either run w/ poor QB play.  he made big plays for us and the stage wasn't too big for him.

Kenny was drafted onto a YOUNG, more talent team that had just reached the AFC Championship Game.  he proceeded to NEVER win a playoff game but his backup won one! then his backup got hurt, Kenny came back in and led us to another loss.

I get it, you see youtube videos of kenny throwing deep to a wide open Al Toon or Wesley Walker, none of those plays happened in big games though.  Mark did it in big games.

5 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Ken had a fine OL, he just held the ball too long always looking for the big play and he was more of a bust than Mark was.  when you are drafted AHEAD of Dan Marino onto a young team coming off an AFC Championship game app and you NEVER win a playoff game.  That's a bust.this game is about winning, he had all the tools to succeed and he couldn't do it.

6 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Amazing Stat - Obrien never had a rushing touchdown in his career, and we want to put him on a list of all time greats? I would take Matt Robinson over leadfoot. 

More of an indictment of the franchise's QB history than of O'Brien himself

7 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Amazing Stat - Obrien never had a rushing touchdown in his career, and we want to put him on a list of all time greats? I would take Matt Robinson over leadfoot. 

Namath had 7 and he wore knee braces..:o

8 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Good call Matt Robinson did have a rushing td..:)

18 hours ago, Warfish said:

Given your posts, it's clear there is very little you get.

But to each their own: you want to be SAR's VP of the Mark Sanchez slurp club, enjoy yourself. 

I would respond about your post but they are so unmemorable I would have no idea what to comment on.

16 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Because in the mid-80's we all wanted a Mike Vick type QB?

Do you recall the RB's we had in that era? O'Brian's lack of rushing greatness was not his worst flaw nor a particularly valid criticism (of which there are plenty).

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Because in the mid-80's we all wanted a Mike Vick type QB?

Do you recall the RB's we had in that era? O'Brian's lack of rushing greatness was not his worst flaw nor a particularly valid criticism (of which there are plenty).

I know Kenny was your QB when you were growing up I understand that.. Even Pat Ryan had a rushing TD, the point was Kenny was a statue. Name one other starting QB in that era that never had even 1 td..:blink:

3 hours ago, Savage69 said:

I know Kenny was your QB when you were growing up I understand that.. Even Pat Ryan had a rushing TD, the point was Kenny was a statue. Name one other starting QB in that era that never had even 1 td..:blink:

You're not wrong. He was a statue. I'll go you one further, he was a statue with the best skill position supporting cast since 69/70.

But he was also a statue who threw, at least for a short period, the best passes any Jets QB ever threw (Namath included) and led one of very few Jets Offenses worth watching in my 35 odd years of fandom. O'Brian to Toon at the age I was is why I'm a Jets fan.

No doubt the years since have been unkind to fans of offense, brief hopes (Vinny, Pennington) and massive failures (Nagle, Sanchez, Geno, that Steelers twit, Boomer, etc, etc, etc). But since Kenny O there have been damn too few moments where I felt we had a legit arm back there and damn too many "game managers" or idiots who needed color charts just to take a snap.

On 7/5/2017 at 2:46 PM, nyjunc said:

they had a vet QB that set franchise records for TD passes. you are telling me that was not better than a raw rookie w/ far less talent to throw to?  we had a good OL in 2015 too.

Miami was at home playing for their first playoff app since 2008 and we had rookie Geno Smith.  That 2013 team overachieved as did all of rex's teams outside of 2011 and 2014.

A vet QB who stunk. So is Fitz a good player or a bad player? You can't say he's bad but then go "oh they had a vet QB who set a franchise record in TD passes" and act like he was good. He's either bad or good. I don't care about his numbers.

Yes, and Miami laid an egg like the Jets did in 2015. But it wasn't this big great win for the Jets. Miami played awful in that game.

On 7/5/2017 at 2:47 PM, nyjunc said:

I was not a Fitz guy, he didn't play well but that was a team loss starting w/ awful coaching.  the HC didn't have his team ready to play, the HC of the team w/ nothing to play for had his team ready.

How is it awful coaching? The team didn't play well. Fitz was brutal, the D got off to an awful start. You can't just blame the coach when he's on the sidelines and the players are in the game.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:18 PM, Warfish said:

You're not wrong. He was a statue. I'll go you one further, he was a statue with the best skill position supporting cast since 69/70.

But he was also a statue who threw, at least for a short period, the best passes any Jets QB ever threw (Namath included) and led one of very few Jets Offenses worth watching in my 35 odd years of fandom. O'Brian to Toon at the age I was is why I'm a Jets fan.

No doubt the years since have been unkind to fans of offense, brief hopes (Vinny, Pennington) and massive failures (Nagle, Sanchez, Geno, that Steelers twit, Boomer, etc, etc, etc). But since Kenny O there have been damn too few moments where I felt we had a legit arm back there and damn too many "game managers" or idiots who needed color charts just to take a snap.

A few comments:

• I would say that ALL the QBs you weren't massive failures: in several cases, the entire Jets offense failed the QBs. The OLs have mostly sucked. The skill players, ABYSMAL. The Jets asked young QBs to compensate for poor talent surrounding them. Nagle and O'Donnell are the exceptions.
  • Sanchez actually DID manage to reach the playoffs twice and outplayed HOFers in those runs. Just not enough to make up for an OL and WR talent diminishment. And then he was damaged beyond repair. The Jets failed Sanchez, not the other way around.
  • "That Steelers twit" Neil O'Donnell just shed a tear and he doesn't know why.
  • "...idiots who need color charts". THEY ALL NEED THEM IN TODAY'S GAME.

On 7/9/2017 at 10:39 AM, ScarletKnight89 said:

A vet QB who stunk. So is Fitz a good player or a bad player? You can't say he's bad but then go "oh they had a vet QB who set a franchise record in TD passes" and act like he was good. He's either bad or good. I don't care about his numbers.

Yes, and Miami laid an egg like the Jets did in 2015. But it wasn't this big great win for the Jets. Miami played awful in that game.

I was never a Fitz guy but he played well in 2015.

On 7/9/2017 at 10:40 AM, ScarletKnight89 said:

How is it awful coaching? The team didn't play well. Fitz was brutal, the D got off to an awful start. You can't just blame the coach when he's on the sidelines and the players are in the game.

the team was not prepared to play in a game w/ such high stakes.  the coaching was a disaster,  it was a total team loss, everyone outside of Marshall was terrible but it starts w/ the awful HC we had who was badly outcoached that day by the guy we threw in the trash who also happens to be the most susscessful postseason coach in our history.

18 hours ago, phill1c said:

A few comments:

• Sanchez actually DID manage to reach the playoffs twice and outplayed HOFers in those runs. Just not enough to make up for an OL and WR talent diminishment. And then he was damaged beyond repair. The Jets failed Sanchez, not the other way around.

I agree with this comment....  I believe if managed correctly, Sanchez could have been a "Flacco type" talent.  How we gutted the team after 2010 was criminal.

Unfortunately...  his post NY JETS career doesn't support this theory.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

I was never a Fitz guy but he played well in 2015.

the team was not prepared to play in a game w/ such high stakes.  the coaching was a disaster,  it was a total team loss, everyone outside of Marshall was terrible but it starts w/ the awful HC we had who was badly outcoached that day by the guy we threw in the trash who also happens to be the most susscessful postseason coach in our history.

But again, look at the performance of the QB in that spot. We were driving to take the lead and he throws a crucial INT that basically ended the game when he had a guy wide open if he just would have scanned the field. I'm not in love with Bowles, but I have to put that game into perspective.

Archived