The Next Position Pick:

win4ever

Please don't look up the answer before responding.

if you are given the choice of redoing the last two drafts (2016 and 2015) by picking the next player picked at the same position, would you make the switch?  So if we pick a LB, would you make the trade for the next LB picked in the draft, without looking?  All through the draft in the last two years?  I excluded the Idzik drafts because he isn't with the team anymore.  Do you think the team will be better, same, or worse?

12 minutes ago, win4ever said:

if you are given the choice of redoing the last two drafts (2016 and 2015) by picking the next player picked at the same position, would you make the switch?  So if we pick a LB, would you make the trade for the next LB picked in the draft, without looking?  All through the draft in the last two years?  I excluded the Idzik drafts because he isn't with the team anymore.  Do you think the team will be better, same, or worse?

Other than Leonard Williams, yes I would.

8 hours ago, win4ever said:

Not knowing who the next picks at those positions were, I'd have to say yes I'd do it.  Here's why:

2015:  The only player I love from 2015 is Leo.  Would hate to lose him, but the rest of the draft IMO stunk: Devin Smith, Mauldin, Petty, Jarvis Harrison, Deon Simon.  Sacrificing Leo for the opportunity to improve with the other 5 would be a tough call (of course, improvement is not guaranteed since I don't know who the new position players would be at those positions).

2016: Lee, Hack, Jenkins, Burris, Shell, punter.  I'd make the blind swap in a nanosecond because I despise the 1st two picks.  I like the others, but awfulness of the Lee and Hack override my hopes for Jenkins, Burris and Shell.

Now I'm going to go look up who the next picks were at each position to see just how stupid my decision really is.

OK

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Not knowing who the next picks at those positions were, I'd have to say yes I'd do it.  Here's why:

2015:  The only player I love from 2015 is Leo.  Would hate to lose him, but the rest of the draft IMO stunk: Devin Smith, Mauldin, Petty, Jarvis Harrison, Deon Simon.  Sacrificing Leo for the opportunity to improve with the other 5 would be a tough call (of course, improvement is not guaranteed since I don't know who the new position players would be at those positions).

2016: Lee, Hack, Jenkins, Burris, Shell, punter.  I'd make the blind swap in a nanosecond because I despise the 1st two picks.  I like the others, but awfulness of the Lee and Hack override my hopes for Jenkins, Burris and Shell.

Now I'm going to go look up who the next picks were at each position to see just how stupid my decision really is.

ok I looked it up now.  We would be better off making that switch for 2016 hands down.  It's debatable for 2015, although I like the alternatives and I'd do it. I stand by my decision.

9 hours ago, win4ever said:

Hard to do without looking but I'll try.  And this will be even harder because I dont recall what certain players were listed as for example; DT, DE, OLB, LB etc.

2015.  No.  Leo is a beast.  And who was the next guy taken at the same position?  Preston Smith?  Good player but I love Leo.  Were Ray and Beasley both listed at LB'ers or was Ray a DE?  Was Leo a DE or DT?  This is what I mean.  Hard to do this without knowing the exact position they were listed as in the draft.  Still.  No.  Leo is the man.

2016.  Yes.  Lee was a terrible pick for numerous reason.  The better player was taken where an undersized LB should be taken in Deon Jones followed by Sau Cravens in the mid 2nd round.  But again, wasnt Lee listed as an OLB?  So who was next, Jaylon Smith?  I mean, clearly the better prospect but homey doesnt even have 2 legs.  lol  So then who was after that, Miles Jack?  Same situation as before.  Better player but injured at the time.  And Lee is playing ILB not OLB which is my point, this hard to do considering what they're listed as and what they end up actually playing. 

9 hours ago, win4ever said:

The answer to that depends on whether you think Dak Prescott is overrated. Would he suck on the Jets? Did his rookie year success have a lot to do with playing behind a massive O-line and having Ezekiel Elliot to hand the ball off to, or is he really that talented?

4 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

The answer to that depends on whether you think Dak Prescott is overrated. Would he suck on the Jets? Did his rookie year success have a lot to do with playing behind a massive O-line and having Ezekiel Elliot to hand the ball off to, or is he really that talented?

I love how everyone bangs the table crying about not taking Dak Prescott.  I'd bet he was the QB the least amount of people on message boards banged the table for. If you did, good for you. But almost nobody in America across 32 fanbases did.  Kid was an undersized prospect who got hit with a DWI in the weeks leading up to the draft. I remember people banging the table for Russell Wilson, I remember people banging the table for Drew Brees, I remember a ton of people banging the table for Johnny Manziel.  When it came to Dak Prescott it was mainly crickets. Hell Colt McCoy and Christian Ponder got more pre draft love than Dak did.

Sure Everyone Hates Mac's draft right now because last season was a sh*t show but the players he selected last year played well when they played as rookies....

2016: (No Way... Easy Choice)

Lee: OLB sure we might have been able to better here but Vilma had a tough rookie year too. I say inconclusive, but if I remember the guy selected after him at the position has the ability to be a superstar if he recovers.

Hack: Seriously you want the next QB selected as a second rounder and think we would be better off??? haha ok

Jenkins: had a solid year, I liked the pick at the time

Burris: Has a chance to be the #2 CB on this team... no thanks

Shell: Future starting Tackle on the Jets... again no thanks

Loc: the punter... who cares...

Peake: was there a WR even selected after him? and we might have the next two selections on the team anyway with Robby Anderson and Jalin Marshall

2015: (Maybe... But giving up Leo would make switching a failure)

Leo: Potential to be a perennial all star (Nope)

Smith: Bust next WR would be great here (It could be a sack of potatoes and be better then this pick)

Mauldin: Not sure who the next LB is here but I think sticking here is the better choice

Petty: Yeah well another failed QB pick but the one drafted after him will fail too

Harrison: Sure I would take another player here to make up for a non-player

Simon: Back-up DT works for a seventh rounder

I don't know how you can try and switch players at the same position out.   I think in the 1st round you really need to go BPA at a position of need.  In retrospect the 2015 and 2016 drafts were very week.  I do point out how good both Winston and Mariota are looking.  We missed on them because we won garbage time of season games.

So the Leo pick failed my test, but he is so good that that right answer was to let one of the other DEs go.  The Jets could have done that with Mo and received a comp pick.  Now they need to pay him $20mm next year.  

The Devin Smith pick was a questionable one if he was healthy.   There were other good players picked after Smith that should have been on the Jets board.  I like to look at the 5-10 picks after.  We could use Preston Smith, McKinney and Kendricks, among others.

2 37 New York Jets Devin Smith  WR Ohio State Big Ten  
  2 38 Washington Redskins Preston Smith  DE Mississippi State SEC  
  2 39 Chicago Bears Eddie Goldman  DT Florida State ACC  
  2 40 Tennessee Titans Dorial Green-Beckham  WR Missouri SEC from New York Giants  [R2 - 2]
  2 41 Carolina Panthers Devin Funchess  WR Michigan Big Ten from St. Louis [R2 - 3]
  2 42 Atlanta Falcons Jalen Collins  CB LSU SEC  
  2 43 Houston Texans Benardrick McKinney  ILB Mississippi State SEC from Cleveland [R2 - 4]
  2 44 New Orleans Saints Hau'oli Kikaha  OLB Washington Pac-12  
  2 45 Minnesota Vikings Eric Kendricks  ILB UCLA Pac-12 2014 Butkus Award and Lott Trophy winner

After Lee the following players were picked.  The receivers do not look great, but the Jets were not picking one because they picked Devin the year before.

1 21 Houston Texans Will Fuller  WR Notre Dame Ind. (FBS) from Washington [R1 - 8]
  1 22 Washington Redskins Josh Doctson  WR TCU Big 12 from Houston [R1 - 9]
  1 23 Minnesota Vikings Laquon Treadwell  WR Ole Miss SEC  
  1 24 Cincinnati Bengals William Jackson III  CB Houston The American  
  1 25 Pittsburgh Steelers Artie Burns  CB Miami (FL) ACC  
  1 26 Denver Broncos Paxton Lynch  QB Memphis The American from Seattle [R1 - 10]
  1 27 Green Bay Packers Kenny Clark  DT UCLA Pac-12  
  1 28 San Francisco 49ers Joshua Garnett  G Stanford Pac-12 from Kansas City [R1 - 11]
  1 New England Patriots Selection forfeited as a result of the Deflategate scandal[Forfeited 1]
  1 29 Arizona Cardinals Robert Nkemdiche  DT Ole Miss SEC  
  1 30 Carolina Panthers Vernon Butler  DT Louisiana Tech C-USA  
  1 31 Seattle Seahawks Germain Ifedi  OT Texas A&M SEC from Denver [R1 - 12]
  2 32

Cleveland Brown

Emmanuel Ogbah  DE Oklahoma State Big 12

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don't know how you can try and switch players at the same position out.   I think in the 1st round you really need to go BPA at a position of need.  In retrospect the 2015 and 2016 drafts were very week.  I do point out how good both Winston and Mariota are looking.  We missed on them because we won garbage time of season games.

So the Leo pick failed my test, but he is so good that that right answer was to let one of the other DEs go.  The Jets could have done that with Mo and received a comp pick.  Now they need to pay him $20mm next year.  

The Devin Smith pick was a questionable one if he was healthy.   There were other good players picked after Smith that should have been on the Jets board.  I like to look at the 5-10 picks after.  We could use Preston Smith, McKinney and Kendricks, among others.

2 37 New York Jets Devin Smith  WR Ohio State Big Ten  
  2 38 Washington Redskins Preston Smith  DE Mississippi State SEC  
  2 39 Chicago Bears Eddie Goldman  DT Florida State ACC  
  2 40 Tennessee Titans Dorial Green-Beckham  WR Missouri SEC from New York Giants  [R2 - 2]
  2 41 Carolina Panthers Devin Funchess  WR Michigan Big Ten from St. Louis [R2 - 3]
  2 42 Atlanta Falcons Jalen Collins  CB LSU SEC  
  2 43 Houston Texans Benardrick McKinney  ILB Mississippi State SEC from Cleveland [R2 - 4]
  2 44 New Orleans Saints Hau'oli Kikaha  OLB Washington Pac-12  
  2 45 Minnesota Vikings Eric Kendricks  ILB UCLA Pac-12 2014 Butkus Award and Lott Trophy winner

After Lee the following players were picked.  The receivers do not look great, but the Jets were not picking one because they picked Devin the year before.

1 21 Houston Texans Will Fuller  WR Notre Dame Ind. (FBS) from Washington [R1 - 8]
  1 22 Washington Redskins Josh Doctson  WR TCU Big 12 from Houston [R1 - 9]
  1 23 Minnesota Vikings Laquon Treadwell  WR Ole Miss SEC  
  1 24 Cincinnati Bengals William Jackson III  CB Houston The American  
  1 25 Pittsburgh Steelers Artie Burns  CB Miami (FL) ACC  
  1 26 Denver Broncos Paxton Lynch  QB Memphis The American from Seattle [R1 - 10]
  1 27 Green Bay Packers Kenny Clark  DT UCLA Pac-12  
  1 28 San Francisco 49ers Joshua Garnett  G Stanford Pac-12 from Kansas City [R1 - 11]
  1 New England Patriots Selection forfeited as a result of the Deflategate scandal[Forfeited 1]
  1 29 Arizona Cardinals Robert Nkemdiche  DT Ole Miss SEC  
  1 30 Carolina Panthers Vernon Butler  DT Louisiana Tech C-USA  
  1 31 Seattle Seahawks Germain Ifedi  OT Texas A&M SEC from Denver [R1 - 12]
  2 32

Cleveland Brown

Emmanuel Ogbah  DE Oklahoma State Big 12

Wow... way to derail the thread.... That wasn't the question... it was the next player at their position.... 

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

but awfulness of the Lee and Hack override my hopes for Jenkins, Burris and Shell.

Really? I can understand that you may have not liked the picks but the whether Hack and Lee develop into quality NFL starters is still up for debate simply b/c they have had so little experience in the NFL. There is simply no way to argue against that. Hack has yet to play and Lee played one season- showing some promise. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Hard to do without looking but I'll try.  And this will be even harder because I dont recall what certain players were listed as for example; DT, DE, OLB, LB etc.

2015.  No.  Leo is a beast.  And who was the next guy taken at the same position?  Preston Smith?  Good player but I love Leo.  Were Ray and Beasley both listed at LB'ers or was Ray a DE?  Was Leo a DE or DT?  This is what I mean.  Hard to do this without knowing the exact position they were listed as in the draft.  Still.  No.  Leo is the man.

2016.  Yes.  Lee was a terrible pick for numerous reason.  The better player was taken where an undersized LB should be taken in Deon Jones followed by Sau Cravens in the mid 2nd round.  But again, wasnt Lee listed as an OLB?  So who was next, Jaylon Smith?  I mean, clearly the better prospect but homey doesnt even have 2 legs.  lol  So then who was after that, Miles Jack?  Same situation as before.  Better player but injured at the time.  And Lee is playing ILB not OLB which is my point, this hard to do considering what they're listed as and what they end up actually playing. 

It's not Jaylon Smith

1 hour ago, Freemanm said:

Why?  Dak was not the next QB taken Brissett was, hell there were like 3 QB's between Hack, and Dak.

1 hour ago, Lil Woody said:

I love how everyone bangs the table crying about not taking Dak Prescott.  I'd bet he was the QB the least amount of people on message boards banged the table for. If you did, good for you. But almost nobody in America across 32 fanbases did.  Kid was an undersized prospect who got hit with a DWI in the weeks leading up to the draft. I remember people banging the table for Russell Wilson, I remember people banging the table for Drew Brees, I remember a ton of people banging the table for Johnny Manziel.  When it came to Dak Prescott it was mainly crickets. Hell Colt McCoy and Christian Ponder got more pre draft love than Dak did.

I banged.

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Sure Everyone Hates Mac's draft right now because last season was a sh*t show but the players he selected last year played well when they played as rookies....

2016: (No Way... Easy Choice)

Lee: OLB sure we might have been able to better here but Vilma had a tough rookie year too. I say inconclusive, but if I remember the guy selected after him at the position has the ability to be a superstar if he recovers.

Hack: Seriously you want the next QB selected as a second rounder and think we would be better off??? haha ok

Jenkins: had a solid year, I liked the pick at the time

Burris: Has a chance to be the #2 CB on this team... no thanks

Shell: Future starting Tackle on the Jets... again no thanks

Loc: the punter... who cares...

Peake: was there a WR even selected after him? and we might have the next two selections on the team anyway with Robby Anderson and Jalin Marshall

2015: (Maybe... But giving up Leo would make switching a failure)

Leo: Potential to be a perennial all star (Nope)

Smith: Bust next WR would be great here (It could be a sack of potatoes and be better then this pick)

Mauldin: Not sure who the next LB is here but I think sticking here is the better choice

Petty: Yeah well another failed QB pick but the one drafted after him will fail too

Harrison: Sure I would take another player here to make up for a non-player

Simon: Back-up DT works for a seventh rounder

Dorial Green Becam was the next WR so he might be playing, but he is already on to his 2nd team.

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Actually Vilma was a stud right out of the gate and won DROY.

3 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Prescott was not the next QB drafted after Hack. So he is off the table for this thread.

Ok, since enough time has passed, let's see the results

Leo.......Vic Beasely (a bit complicated because he's more a LB) or Arik Armstead

Devin Smith........Dorial Green-Beckham

Lorenzo Mauldin......Jordan Hicks

Bryce Petty...........Brett Hundley

Jarvis Harrison.......Robert Myers

Deon Simon.........No one after him

Darron Lee.........Kevin Dodd

Hackenberg.........Jacoby Brisset

Jordan Jenkins.......Kyler Fackrell

Justin Burris............Rashard Robinson

Brandon Shell........Halapoulivaati Vaitai

Lachlan Edwards.....No one

Charone Peake.....Kenny Lawler

I didn't do BPA because that's obviously subjective.  We can all look at the list now and say, yeah we wanted Dak or Jordan Howard.  

Archived