who’s Stew Stew ? ? ?

kelly

Who’s Stew Stew?

Posted 4 hours ago

ethan-60x60.jpgEthan GreenbergNewyorkjets.com Contributon

Following Two Surgeries, Jets Rookie Wideout Looks Ahead to Training Camp

stewart-art-E_MK2_1399.jpg

It would have been easy for ArDarius Stewarticon-article-link.gif to view the spring as a setback. After being selected in third round out of Alabama, the rookie injured his thumb at rookie minicamp and subsequently had surgical procedures on both his thumb and his groin. But Stewart remained upbeat despite missing all of the Jets’ OTA and minicamp workouts.

“It’s not frustrating at all. I’m built for this,” he said before the team broke for the summer. “Stuff like this doesn’t faze me, really. I just try to take everything and change it to a positive. This is just a job for me to get back out there.”

A first-team All-SEC selection last season, Stewart caught 54 balls for 864 yards and eight touchdowns for the Crimson Tide. Todd Bowles said the Jets were proactive with Stewart’s groin surgery because the ailment had lingered in the past.

“I’m just trying to bring a load of energy to my teammates and just make sure I do what I can from the sideline,” Stewart said of his spring work. “I just pay attention, get all the reps I can mentally and it’s pretty good. I’ve been in these shoes before and I just have to be mentally strong. I’m just ready to get back for camp.”

rwv-0YW8mwkkBiDO.jpg

In 27 career games at ‘Bama, the 5’11”, 204-pound Stewart hauled in 117 receptions for 1,564 yards with 12 scores.

“When I went to see him workout, his route running was a lot better than it showed on film because they only did certain things,” Bowles said of Stewart after the Draft “He caught the ball well with his hands and he’s explosive with the ball in his hands. He’s tough, he brings a lot of attitude to the game and he plays it the right way. We really thought he could help us.” 

Transitioning from an attack that featured Brandon Marshall the past two years, the Jets are learning a new offense under offensive coordinator John Morton. Stewart believes his experience with former Alabama OC Lane Kiffin will help him learn Morton’s West Coast concepts.

“Coach Kiffin did a lot of things and I had to make a lot of adjustments on my part,” Stewart said. “When things change like the defense, I just switch some things up. It’s a lot of different terminology I have to pick up. The routes are the same, it’s just the wording.”

tempE_MK2_4356--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
slideshow-icon.png
VIEW GALLERY | 50 Photos
Best Photos from Minicamp

Stewart, who planned on saying up in New Jersey this summer to get treatment, is expected back for training camp.

“You’re going to determine the men from the boys then and who has that dog, that fight,” he said. “When those pads come on, it’s a whole different story. You’re going to have contact and see how you react to it.”

Stewart is known for his physicality, a receiver looking for YAC and a guy willing to block on the outside. On the mend, he is looking forward to mixing it up for his first time as a pro.

“That’s me all the way, 100%,” he said. “That’s Stew Stew.”

Thanks Kelly

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

To date, my favorite Ardarious Stewart fact is that my "big Bama/Jets fan" coworker got confused and thought we just drafted Calvin Ridley. When I told him, "no, it was the other guy," he got all kinds of sad.

Maybe Jets get lucky and it turns into another Laveranues Coles / Peter Warrick type of outcome?

Ridley could be the 1st WR taken next spring but maybe Stewart becomes the better pro.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

Maybe Jets get lucky and it turns into another Laveranues Coles / Peter Warrick type of outcome?

Ridley could be the 1st WR taken next spring but maybe Stewart becomes the better pro.

Hope springs eternal

14 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Riley is special.  He's not quite as good as Cooper, but he's Cooper lite and if they actually had a good throwing QB, he'd be the stud receiver of the draft.  It's not that he's fast and can go get the ball, but he runs excellent routes, has great open field maneuverability, and keeps his speed extremely well through his cuts.  

Stewart is interesting because that offense barely caters to one receiver.  They have such a good running game that these receivers are more or less blocking.  They won the national semifinal game with 57 passing yards from their starting QB.  6 games where the guy threw for less than 140 yards, and they won 5 of those games.  It's almost impossible to tell how good Stewart is because he could be a total loser that took advantage of man coverage or a stud that was stifled by the system.  It's the same reason why Howard went so high, despite the low output of stats, because they barely featured him as a receiver.  They had one of the greatest TE prospects of the decade, and they barely used him.  

I saw a few Golden Tate comparisons on Stewart, but Tate is MUCH more elusive in the open field.  I think the best one I saw was Garcon. 

Archived