What Would it Take for Hack to be the Starter in 2018?

Skeptable

Simple question but what would you want to see Hack do this year in order for the Jets to see him as the future starter for years to come?

Now, nobody has seen him play in a real game yet but in order to stay a starter for 2018 I think Hack has to do (Please don't take this as a guess of what he will do or I want him to do, this is simply an exercise in what it would take for him to look at him as the future):

1. Start Opening Day 2017 (This proves that he beat out the competition)

2. Start all 16 games (barring injury but even with with an injury I believe he needs to start 14+)

3. Pass for at a bare minimum 3,000 yards 

4. TD/ INT rate of t least better then 1/1

5. A competence of the offense... Throws the ball away when necessary... realizes mistakes... 

6. a Record of 6-10 or better

7. Compete in every game... No blow outs...

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Not having a better QB on the roster

This is not for this season... but for 2018... if we are terrible this season, it would be assumed that One of the top 4 QBs will be drafted but this was more on the serious side of what would he need to do to convince you that he is a good QB capable of leading this team...

Now I realize that he is the butt of all jokes on this site and there is absolutely nothing he could do to convince some here that he is a franchise QB... But what would you need to see in this year to convince you that he is legit...

Honestly, he just needs to play extensively this season, and find a way to not trip over his own d*ck. 

If he plays well enough to start any real talk about him pushing to be the 2018 starter, then he will have also won us too many games for us to be discussing which 2018 QB we should be drafting. My bigger concern is that he plays mediocre, wins us 4-6 and we are talking about whether or not we should be drafting Sam Hubbard or Mike McGlinchey if our QB choices are all dried up.

In that case we'd better pray Allen and Jackson can get their completion percentages way up and Rosen comes all the way back from injury. Because if this becomes a 2 horse race for QB we will need to be holding the #1 overall pick.

26 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Picture2.png

This is why its hard to discuss anything on this forum any longer... Everyone is already convinced that he is the worst QB since Akili Smith, Tim Couch and Russell... Yet he is in his second year and hasn't played a down yet... this is more of an exercise of what is the minimum that he would need to show in his 2017 campaign that he is the QB of the future.

1 minute ago, Lil Woody said:

Honestly, he just needs to play extensively this season, and find a way to not trip over his own d*ck. 

If he plays well enough to start any real talk about him pushing to be the 2018 starter, then he will have also won us too many games for us to be discussing which 2018 QB we should be drafting. My bigger concern is that he plays mediocre, wins us 4-6 and we are talking about whether or not we should be drafting Sam Hubbard or Mike McGlinchey if our QB choices are all dried up.

In that case we'd better pray Allen and Jackson can get their completion percentages way up and Rosen comes all the way back from injury. Because if this becomes a 2 horse race for QB we will need to be holding the #1 overall pick.

I think that we will end up in the 6-8 win region and end up looking at Jackson in the middle of the first. 

1 hour ago, Skeptable said:

Simple question but what would you want to see Hack do this year in order for the Jets to see him as the future starter for years to come?

Now, nobody has seen him play in a real game yet but in order to stay a starter for 2018 I think Hack has to do (Please don't take this as a guess of what he will do or I want him to do, this is simply an exercise in what it would take for him to look at him as the future):

2. Start all 16 games (barring injury but even with with an injury I believe he needs to start 14+)

5. A competence of the offense... Throws the ball away when necessary... realizes mistakes... 

The no blow-outs requirement is a tall order.  Even good teams get blown out sometimes.  And we likely won't be a good team.

2 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I think that we will end up in the 6-8 win region and end up looking at Jackson in the middle of the first. 

IFJackson improves his accuracy and improves his game from the pocket, he will easily go top 5 imo. He has Vick like potential, WITH the professional approach and commitment/dedication Mike lacked. I have a harder time believing that Allen is the goods, but I am anxious to watch some Colorado games this year.  LOL.  Did I really type that?  Rosen needs to show he's all the way back from injury and also quell the rumors that he's an entitled douche who lacks motivation.  If he does that he's in the running for #1 overall. I could see Allen, Rudoplh, Falk, Browning all being discussed as 1st & 2nd round talents too.  Of course we need to see how they measure up first. But the completion%, size, arm talent (for the most part) seem to be there.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000756760/article/scout-lamar-jackson-must-learn-to-be-passer-like-dak-did

34 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

This is not for this season... but for 2018... if we are terrible this season, it would be assumed that One of the top 4 QBs will be drafted but this was more on the serious side of what would he need to do to convince you that he is a good QB capable of leading this team...

Now I realize that he is the butt of all jokes on this site and there is absolutely nothing he could do to convince some here that he is a franchise QB... But what would you need to see in this year to convince you that he is legit...

Hey, if he manages to not be so terrible that they won't play him even as the backup, I'll start on the road to believing he can play QB in the NFL. I've said it before, this isn't schrodinger's cat. It's not a 50/50 chance that he is any good because he hasn't played. 

1. College career sucked outside a miracle season followed by bad seasons. Offense and QB play improved when he was replaced.

2. NFL Preseason game was of disasterf*ck proportions. 

3. Coaches didn't believe he was good enough to take snaps in a meaningless game in garbage time. Team believed it was MORE valuable that he DIDN'T play because he might be criticized for poor play than to have him get his feet wet.

14 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Hey, if he manages to not be so terrible that they won't play him even as the backup, I'll start on the road to believing he can play QB in the NFL. I've said it before, this isn't schrodinger's cat. It's not a 50/50 chance that he is any good because he hasn't played. 

1. College career sucked outside a miracle season followed by bad seasons. Offense and QB play improved when he was replaced.

2. NFL Preseason game was of disasterf*ck proportions. 

3. Coaches didn't believe he was good enough to take snaps in a meaningless game in garbage time. Team believed it was MORE valuable that he DIDN'T play because he might be criticized for poor play than to have him get his feet wet.

Again, this is not how you feel about the pick its what does he need to do to prove he can be the franchise QB... I get it... you tend to derail every thread into Hack sucks ... That is not what is going on here.... You HATE HACK AND MAC and want them gone... WE ALL GET IT... move on.

2 minutes ago, thadude said:

1. McCown gets injured

2. petty continues to look horrible in the west coast offense

3. Jay Cutler's agent says not interested

You and Jeremy ... I mean seriously... does every thread need to be Hack is horrible?... if you don't want to participate go derail the other threads.

29 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

IFJackson improves his accuracy and improves his game from the pocket, he will easily go top 5 imo. He has Vick like potential, WITH the professional approach and commitment/dedication Mike lacked. I have a harder time believing that Allen is the goods, but I am anxious to watch some Colorado games this year.  LOL.  Did I really type that?  Rosen needs to show he's all the way back from injury and also quell the rumors that he's an entitled douche who lacks motivation.  If he does that he's in the running for #1 overall. I could see Allen, Rudoplh, Falk, Browning all being discussed as 1st & 2nd round talents too.  Of course we need to see how they measure up first. But the completion%, size, arm talent (for the most part) seem to be there.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000756760/article/scout-lamar-jackson-must-learn-to-be-passer-like-dak-did

Maybe.... I think there is going to be 5 QBs taken in the first round next year... but only 2 in the top 5 ... Jackson has a chance... but so does Rosen, Allen, Rudolph and maybe Falk and Browning

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

he does not have to start opening day.  He will continue to learn.  But he needs to play as set forth above for at least the second half of the season.

If he doesn't start opening day, I'd don't think he has a chance to be a franchise QB... I agree that he will learn and could be a competent NFL Player and eventually a back-up in the NFL, if McCown starts the Opening Day.... but McCown is bad... and if he can't beat McCown... look out... 

41 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Again, this is not how you feel about the pick its what does he need to do to prove he can be the franchise QB... I get it... you tend to derail every thread into Hack sucks ... That is not what is going on here.... You HATE HACK AND MAC and want them gone... WE ALL GET IT... move on.

I answered your question. He needs to improve enough that they consider listing him as the backup in a game or...*gasp* actually playing him.

4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I answered your question. He needs to improve enough that they consider listing him as the backup in a game or...*gasp* actually playing him.

So that's enough for the Jets to consider him the franchise, and starting him in 2018? Just make back-up and or *gasp* playing him.... That's not answering the question... It's making a mockery of the question with an anti-hack-mac agenda... 

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Playoffs ... And we still draft another QB

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I agree with both of these... I think The Jets draft a QB in the First no matter what next year... its just a matter of what pick.... There is potentially 5 1st round QBs next year... maybe 7 in the top 2 rounds... I think there is a nice balance right now because if hack sucks we draft high... if he shows vast improvement and competency then we draft a QB to compete with Hack... If we make the playoffs and go on a run... then draft a 1st round back-up to learn and supersede Hack and have trade capital for other teams...  

8 hours ago, Skeptable said:

some good goals but one that i think he needs to do is take control of the team.  he needs to make sure the players think he belongs there.  we have already heard shelly making some crack about petty belonging.  shelly may be a knucklehead and really shouldn't say anything but he does have some influence over the younger players.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

some good goals but one that i think he needs to do is take control of the team.  he needs to make sure the players think he belongs there.  we have already heard shelly making some crack about petty belonging.  shelly may be a knucklehead and really shouldn't say anything but he does have some influence over the younger players.

Think about how truly sad and dangerous that is.

8 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Going into 2018 if Hack is on the roster he is basically the starter by default.  Both McCown and Petty will be gone and we've basically used up all the retreads.  

The only way he isn't the starter is if he completely embarrasses himself in 2017 or if DarnAllenRosen lights it up in training camp.  

It would take quite a bit, some of it we'll never be privy to besides the obvious results out on the field.

Can he master the playbook, command a huddle and call for protections? Can he make the right reads? Can he make accurate passes (that's his main concern)

Oh, here's a big one, can he commit relatively few turnovers? (lets low ball for the young man and say less than one per game after the season is done).

Most importantly is he showing signs of progress in general?

We kind of have to grade him on a curve. He WILL make mistakes, but if he's making the same mistakes over and over that's worse than anything else.

21 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Going into 2018 if Hack is on the roster he is basically the starter by default.  Both McCown and Petty will be gone and we've basically used up all the retreads.  

The only way he isn't the starter is if he completely embarrasses himself in 2017 or if DarnAllenRosen lights it up in training camp.  

There is a free agent market after this year in cousins  (sf), Stafford garapolo and brees

Come to think of it this offense is all about timing.

If he's got it between the ears the way he was touted to he should be able to make smart decisions, the wild-card is how he deals with pressure and if he can make an accurate throw at the right time.

Archived