What Would it Take for Hack to be the Starter in 2018?

Skeptable

14 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

It would take quite a bit, some of it we'll never be privy to besides the obvious results out on the field.

Can he master the playbook, command a huddle and call for protections? Can he make the right reads? Can he make accurate passes (that's his main concern)

Oh, here's a big one, can he commit relatively few turnovers? (lets low ball for the young man and say less than one per game after the season is done).

Most importantly is he showing signs of progress in general?

We kind of have to grade him on a curve. He WILL make mistakes, but if he's making the same mistakes over and over that's worse than anything else.

I agree, 

He tends to make the right reads all through college but does it translate?  He seems to be a student of the game... but can he be more consistent between the good and bad.

That is good..

Same mistakes twice... i like that one

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

There is a free agent market after this year in cousins  (sf), Stafford garapolo and brees

Picking up an expensive FA QB only makes sense if you have a great team ready to win right away.  For example the Favre move almost paid off for us. 

Short of that, it only hurts in the long run.  Ties up valuable cap space needed to develop the team and kills any shot of top draft picks to land a young QB who could develop into a franchise guy.

39 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

There is a free agent market after this year in cousins  (sf), Stafford garapolo and brees

Friendly bet: Not one of them makes it to FA.

I'm guessing that Cousins/Stafford will get resigned by their teams. Jimmy G gets tagged and traded (assuming Brady doesn't retire) and Brees either resigns or retires.

Hack is 22 and will have a below average offense around him. I do not think big stats are necessary for him to be the 2018 starter. I think in order to be the started in 2018 he has to manage the game well and show flashes of ability. Finally he will have to show improvement throughout the season. The 3000 yards and +1 td/int seems reasonable to me.

10 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Simple question but what would you want to see Hack do this year in order for the Jets to see him as the future starter for years to come?

Now, nobody has seen him play in a real game yet but in order to stay a starter for 2018 I think Hack has to do (Please don't take this as a guess of what he will do or I want him to do, this is simply an exercise in what it would take for him to look at him as the future):

1. Start Opening Day 2017 (This proves that he beat out the competition)

2. Start all 16 games (barring injury but even with with an injury I believe he needs to start 14+)

3. Pass for at a bare minimum 3,000 yards 

4. TD/ INT rate of t least better then 1/1

5. A competence of the offense... Throws the ball away when necessary... realizes mistakes... 

6. a Record of 6-10 or better

7. Compete in every game... No blow outs...

It's really not that hard, pass the eye test.

Your asking an awful lot for a guy who is a young inexperienced QB. He is going to make mistakes and probably a lot of them. The problem as I see it is the media focus on him. The scrutiny he has faced WITHOUT PLAYING A DOWN in a real game is simply ridiculous. If he can have any type of success in the face of such adversity that would say a lot about his make-up. If he can show progress when all are writing him off that alone would go along towards showing he can be an NFL quality starter, Still you have to remember the guy is 22 and while I would love it if he shoved it in everyone's face and had a decent season I am not confident. There is really nothing to go on so its hard to say what Hack needs to do realistically to start in 2018. Lets get through 2017 before we start on 2018.

It's really not that hard to tell when watching a QB play if he is the real deal, or not.  I watched Carr go 3-13, but knew he was a stud, same with Peyton Manning.  Not every franchise QB wins 10+ gms year 1 like Dak, Russell, and Luck, hell Rodgers won like 5 games his first year starting, BUT everyone knew dude was the truth.

Start at least 5 games this year and throw more TD's than INT's,  smile during draft and be very supportive of the QB the Jets select in the first round (big smile for first overall)

Beat out the Jets first round pick and you can start in 2018

Make the playoffs, without getting benched or injured, with +60% completion rate and throwing more TD's than INT's, and you could be the franchise

Simple

21 or more TDs.

Below 15 picks

At least 3000 yards

58% or above regarding completion percentage.

Anything below that and it's time to go shopping for a new guy in the loaded class coming up.

Just now, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Start at least 5 games this year and throw more TD's than INT's,  smile during draft and be very supportive of the QB the Jets select in the first round (big smile for first overall)

Make the playoffs, without getting benched or injured, with +60% completion rate and throwing more TD's than INT's, and you could be the franchise

If he pulls this off then this is not a question.  He will be the guy going forward. 

26 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Simple

25 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If he pulls this off then this is not a question.  He will be the guy going forward. 

The other night, NFL Live had some skit where the announcers could swap out a team's QB by spinning a wheel made up of all QBs.

They did the AFC East.  

Pats, chose not to spin obviously.

Bills I think got Cam Newton.  Big upgrade and concensus was probably playoff bound then.

Fish got Alex Smith and concensus was slight upgrade and playoff contender.

Jets got Aaron Rodgers.  (I've been so starved for good QB play that even that fictional event made me happy for a second.)  The concensus, even with Rodgers, was that MAYBE we'd be competitive in December.

If Hack makes the playoffs with this team, he should be given a yellow jacket immediately.

Imo 5 wins, maybe even 4 could give Hack the job in 2018.  Plenty of other variables though.

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Start at least 5 games this year and throw more completions than INT's,  smile during draft and be very supportive of the Safety the Jets select in the first round (big smile for first overall)

Beat out the Jets next aging vet FA pickup with no upside and you can start in 2018

Fixed

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

Gets bitten by a radioactive genetically modified spider:

image.php?encI=X55g9%3ADDiii.%2FWBs.JvVD

Pssh- Yeah.  Cause THAT will help his accuracy.

"Its the first day of training camp, and Christian Hackenberg had a mixed day. On one hand he never took a sack as he dodged every defender by leaping 10 feet in the air. On the other he consistently overthrew his passes during 11 on 11's. One pass to Quincy Enunwa sailed over his head and made a b-line straight for that of Jets beat writer Rich Cimini giving him a concussion."

As an aside Peter Parker is totally the Jets and Mets fan right? His life is WAY to miserable for him to root for teams that actually win championships.

6 hours ago, Tony MaC said:

Pssh- Yeah.  Cause THAT will help his accuracy.

"Its the first day of training camp, and Christian Hackenberg had a mixed day. On one hand he never took a sack as he dodged every defender by leaping 10 feet in the air. On the other he consistently overthrew his passes during 11 on 11's. One pass to Quincy Enunwa sailed over his head and made a b-line straight for that of Jets beat writer Rich Cimini giving him a concussion."

As an aside Peter Parker is totally the Jets and Mets fan right? His life is WAY to miserable for him to root for teams that actually win championships.

Spider-Man is from queens so yes he'd be a met and jet fan

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

GB was 10-6 last year.  Are you suggesting the Jets this year are a better team (minus QB) than GB was last year?

We actually don't have a terrible roster outside of qb.  Our qb's are just so bad

Just now, thadude said:

We actually don't have a terrible roster outside of qb.  Our qb's are just so bad

Agreed.  But weapon wise... let's be honest, we're kinda screwed.

GB has at least three WRs better than anything we now have (though Quincy could change that this year).  And certainly a better TE.  

I don't think Aaron really could do much here.  I'd say he'd get maybe 8 wins.

If Marshall was still here then sure, 10+ wins.

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

GB has at least three WRs better than anything we now have (though Quincy could change that this year).  And certainly a better TE.  

Well Mac did cut out two best receivers since Keyshawn who both had reasonable contracts just cuz

3 minutes ago, thadude said:

Well Mac did cut out two best receivers since Keyshawn who both had reasonable contracts just cuz

Right.  Though I think Marshall didn't want to deal with a rebuilding, so I don't mind letting him walk then.  And once Marshall was gone, it was kinda senseless to keep Decker imo.  He may have given us another win or two, but I'm pretty sure wins aren't the goal this year.

I think the offence Hack will be leading this year is a big factor. He does not have alot or any top talent to help him prove people wrong.
I think it's imperative Hack plays alot because sure if he plays 3-4 games maybe wins three because he got lucky we should not be passing on a first round QB. He needs to get alot of time to show how he deals with getting blown out...see how he can or if he can come back and win the following week. I don't want him to be carried by the running game. It would be a huge mistake to let hack play when the season is lost. He needs to play when it matters for the team.
Stats wise I'd say (with this roster) he needs to be close to or over 60% completion. Throw for maybe 20 TDs and 15 or less INTs. Show some apptitude to throw it away and avoid sacks. Don't go three and out every two minute drill or force throws.
The jets will learn nothing if they play him for less than half the season. By then the team could check out like last year even worsening getting the idea what hack is.
The jets will be drafting a QB no question this year with Petty on the way out.
If hack is not capable of all of the above it will be a first round pick. If he can do it all he is a FQB and the jets will draft a guy in the 3 or 4th round.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

Mastering the playbook should be the easy part for Hack. His football IQ is what you look for when evaluating potential franchise qbs.

With this I would expect he will not struggle with making protection adjustments ( especially if he has forte by his side). I honestly expect to see him make good reads and more often than not throw the ball to the right receiver.

Taking all of that away, if the ball is thrown to the right receiver (i.e. he diagnosed the defense, made the adjustments, put the receiver in a position to succeed) has his mechanics improved that the ball will be in the right place at the right time? If the coaching staff has fixed his footwork, i.e. were he points his feet then we will notice it immediately come game day. We will also notice it immediately if nothing has changed and he gets lazy with his feet again and crumbled under pressure. 

9 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Your asking an awful lot for a guy who is a young inexperienced QB. He is going to make mistakes and probably a lot of them. The problem as I see it is the media focus on him. The scrutiny he has faced WITHOUT PLAYING A DOWN in a real game is simply ridiculous. If he can have any type of success in the face of such adversity that would say a lot about his make-up.

So, to clarify, if Hackenberg doesn't succeed, "the problem" will be the media?

20 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

My bigger concern is that he plays mediocre, wins us 4-6 and we are talking about whether or not we should be drafting Sam Hubbard or Mike McGlinchey if our QB choices are all dried up.

This is what i fear is going to happen, whether it's Hack or McCown leading the way.  The team will find a way to win 4-6 games and take us out of the running to get one of the top 2 QB's in the 2018 draft. 

17 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Let's be honest. The media is always a problem here. Even in the years when we are successful they are circling overhead like buzzards just waiting for their chance to attack. They have a favorite team and they want them to always be the hero and for us to always be the punchline and they work very hard to continue that narrative every day.

30 minutes ago, gEYno said:

No. To clarify if he does have success it will show he has the stones to play in this market with all the reports saying he sucks. The guy is being written off before he throws a pass in game situations by the media. If he can succeed despite that scrutiny it would say volumes about his mental make-up. If he doesn't succeed it just shows he sucks. Clear?

He needs to understand the offense, make the right reads, and be more accurate than anyone thought he could be. 

He needs to bounce back from mistakes as if they never happened, and keep the whole offense focused. 

He needs to still have the team behind him week 17, no matter how crappy a year it will have been. 

And then he needs to beat out the competition next year. 

He'll be the starter by default because the Jets will stumble themselves into enough wins not to take a top QB next year. Either that or we'll be stuck taking a second tier guy and we will be giving Hack a second chance to start the season until they go to the next guy. That's the depressing outlook of things.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Nah Rodgers would have us, this coming year, at at least 10 wins. He'd probably make our WR's known and relevant. If the Packers WR's started here in NY with our QBs, we would think they're average. 

To more simply answer the question itself (What would it take for Hack to be the starter in 2018?):

Beat out the 2018 1st round pick that summer.

Nothing short of Hackenberg being a stud QB in 2018 should stop the team from drafting another one. If he looks "pretty good" that's still not enough. Considering how raw and unready he was to start as a rookie, Geno looked much improved in the final month of his first year starting -- enough that the team passed on drafting another in 2014. So in order to not repeat that error, we should draft the best QB prospect we can get our hands on in 2018, and then may the better man win that summer.  The only way that shouldn't happen is if Hack is basically a pro bowler (or borderline pro bowler) in 2017, which would then free up the opportunity to draft an edge rusher in round 1.

Timing is everything. If Hack's chance was like last year, before a draft that didn't have a good QB draft class then his recquisites would be less. Basically, because of Darnold/Rosen/Allen, Hackenberg (unfairly) will need to play lights out from an individual standpoint (not wins/losses as a team). 

The chances of his are slim to none. Its not a reasonable request. But, the Jets who have been quarterback starved since the early 70's when Namath was always hurt will not pass up on a grea prospect (mind you I said prospect not sure thing player)  because Hackenberg has a good season. And that is not Hacken's fault. Tough spot and bad timing for him. 

This team is too young and inexperienced, (even if these players play better than expexcted) to be able to come out and perfect a new offensive system, and win lots of games.

Our most realistic/best case scenario is Hacken has a good year, shows theres a chance he be the guy, but we still end up with a top 3 pick, draft a QB, let said qb and Hack battle it out for a year or two and see who becomes a tradable asset and who is staying long term. 

Archived