Vince Young wonders why Ryan Fitzpatrick playing but not him

Gas2No99

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

he had a handshake agreement w/ the Jets.  here's another article, if they didn't have that agreement they wouldn't have just let him walk.

http://nypost.com/2009/12/02/jets-shouldnt-have-let-favre-walk-away-for-free/

I don't have a dog in this race, but I'm not sure to what part of the article you're referring or what it's supposed to be showing. Everyone knew Favre wanted to play for the Vikings; no one disputes that.

Also given his age and past retirement, they had to proceed as though it was no slam dunk he'd return and were likely just taking it one year at a time (as opposed to one and 100% definitely done).

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

lol

you get funnier each time you post.

Austin Romine is on the sauce?? 

Go back to the Yankees thread and lecture us on why Brett Gardner is using PED's because his walks are up this season

4 minutes ago, thadude said:

He was injured.  Did you watch those games last 1/4 of the season Favre couldn't break a pane of glass with his throws

I watched every snap, he was fine. his poor decision making cost us like it had most of that season.  every player is playing hurt late in the year(even the iron man), he doesn't get an injury excuse.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't have a dog in this race, but I'm not sure to what part of the article you're referring or what it's supposed to be showing. Everyone knew Favre wanted to play for the Vikings; no one disputes that.

When we first hired Rex he even said he was looking forward to working with Favre

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

the point is it was essentially a 1 year deal.  the Jets knew that going in and hoped they could convince him to come back if he enjoyed his year here.  they couldn't convince him to come back.

Just now, nyjunc said:

I watched every snap, he was fine. 

Stop

The NFL was even considering disciplinary action against Mangini because he didn't list Favre on the injury report even though it was obvious he was significantly injured

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

that was coachspeak for a player "under contract" at that time.

And he was under contract and he was going to be a Jet in 2009 but he told the FO his intention was to retire and we were over the cap

Then, the following late July all of a sudden Favre pops up at the Vikings TC.  I wonder why Favre didn't simply sign with them immediately after we cut him?

6 minutes ago, thadude said:

Stop

The NFL was even considering disciplinary action against Mangini because he didn't list Favre on the injury report even though it was obvious he was significantly injured

was he hurt? sure, so was every other player playing.  his arm was fine enough to play and win.  his mind wasn't. once it got cold he quit on us.

4 minutes ago, thadude said:

And he was under contract and he was going to be a Jet in 2009 but he told the FO his intention was to retire and we were over the cap

Then, the following late July all of a sudden Favre pops up at the Vikings TC.  I wonder why Favre didn't simply sign with them immediately after we cut him?

he was NEVER going to be a Jet in 2009.  the plan all along was to become a Viking in 2009.

Just now, thadude said:

Duh.  Are you honestly trying to convince us that Favre and his agent didn't know we would have cap problems and be forced to sh*t or get off the pot?  Ridiculous doesn't begin to cover it.

You wonder?  You wonder because you are either not a forward thinker or sophisticated enough to see that if he signed with the Vikings immediately after we cut him the Vikes would possibly have faced tampering charges.   Plus, he gets out of all the training camp annoyance.  It's not like he cares to take the time to learn an offense. 

12 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the point is it was essentially a 1 year deal.  the Jets knew that going in and hoped they could convince him to come back if he enjoyed his year here.  they couldn't convince him to come back.

I think that would be the case for any QB his age. They're all year-to-year. It was that way with Green Bay as well, since he'd already just completed a season after first retiring and then un-retiring, and they didn't even want him anymore.

The reality is, until he was released, he was a NY Jet if he wanted to stay in the NFL.

He finished on a poor note (an extended poor note at that) and they still wanted him back. Based on that, no matter what may have been hinted or leaked, I don't see what outcome, unique to Brett Favre, that they'd have imagined in August '08 that they wouldn't have wanted him back in '09. 

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think that would be the case for any QB his age. They're all year-to-year. It was that way with Green Bay as well, since he'd already just completed a season after first retiring and then un-retiring, and they didn't even want him anymore.

The reality is, until he was released, he was a NY Jet if he wanted to stay in the NFL.

He finished on a poor note (an extended poor note at that) and they still wanted him back. Based on that, no matter what may have been hinted or leaked, I don't see what outcome, unique to Brett Favre, that they'd have imagined in August '08 that they wouldn't have wanted him back in '09. 

well we had him under contract for 2 years but the only way he'd agree to "un-retire" and come play for us in 2008 was is if we agreed to release him after 2008.  

the alternative to favre in 2009 was a raw rookie, as it turned out he made plays and helped us get to the title game while Favre couldn't help us get to the playoffs but it would have made sense at the time to want Favre back as bad as he was for us.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

well we had him under contract for 2 years but the only way he'd agree to "un-retire" and come play for us in 2008 was is if we agreed to release him after 2008.  

the alternative to favre in 2009 was a raw rookie, as it turned out he made plays and helped us get to the title game while Favre couldn't help us get to the playoffs but it would have made sense at the time to want Favre back as bad as he was for us.

Meh, whatever. The only other team that showed any interest was Tampa and they'd already backed out. 

I'm not going to get into your other favorite topic you touched upon, lol. 

10 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah, that was my previous post, you're right.  I guess with time passing it makes things seem bigger than they were especially at this boring time of the year.  It's water under the bridge at this point and we are where we are.   Hoping for all of us Long Suffering Jets Fans that we see some encouraging signs this year.  I really don't want to go through a 2-3 win season, but if that's what it takes I guess I'll have to suck it up.  I'll just have to focus more on Penn State and less on the Jets as I did last year.

Archived