DGB released.... WE MUST!! The season can be saved yet!!

Paradis

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If there is one thing this organization is desperately in need of, it's a colossal disappointment of a genetic freak athlete that once threw a woman down a flight of stairs.

you sang that same cynical song with ASJ last year... now what's up bro

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They cut him and gave Dane Evans (who was in our minicamp) a three-year contract. 

The QB?  Not sh*t.  haha

They have Alshon Jeffery, Jordan Matthews, Nelson Agholor and Torrey Smith - i assume they didnt need DGB anymore. 

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

I would 100% bring him in. Maybe ASJ's turn around could wear off on him. 

He should have been the pick over Smith to begin with, so yes, do this.  

He shouldn't have been picked over anyone.  His release doesn't say this to you?  

Meh...

A player with good physical traits with off the field problems and limited professional production who was just let go by his second team in just over two years?

That's not exactly mouth watering. I'll be fine if we stick with what we've got at WR, DGB doesn't appear to be an upgrade to them. His upside means less and less with time.

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He shouldn't have been picked over anyone.  His release doesn't say this to you?  

Yes.  He should have been.  There is literally no question about it and it isnt even debatable.  Not only was he 10x the prospect but it's shown in the NFL

Smith - 10 catches, 135 yards, 1 TD - career over

DGB - 68 catches, 941 yards, 6 TD's with 2 rookie QB's - career just starting.

He was released because they signed Jeffery and Smith in the offsesaon.  He was expendable.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes.  He should have been.  There is literally no question about it and it isnt even debatable.  Not only was he 10x the prospect but it's shown in the NFL

He was released because they signed Jeffery and Smith in the offsesaon.  He was expendable.

Its absolutely debatable.

In 2015 DGB's little incident cost him his last year in college and higher draft value. He was a physical freak but with a high cost that couldn't be ignored. Devin Smith, with nothing as bad as what DGB had going on and his own solid collegiate production, was a fair choice in round 2 instead. Smith turned out to be injury prone and it cost him his career, not that there was much sign of that at draft time (If I recall right) but I don't regret choosing Smith over DGB back then.

And now that we're two years out, I especially don't regret it after two teams have cut this guy despite the stats you're lauding. Supposedly he didn't have good work ethic and had a major problem with drops. We didn't miss out on anything by not choosing HIM over Smith when we had the chance. (maybe some other player, but not DGB) The fact that he got let go by TWO teams in two years should proof enough of that.

And who cares if they signed Jeffery and Smith? If the Eagles thought they had something with him they could have kept him and at least let him compete in camp for a 4th or 5th WR spot and let him develop. Not like he was expensive. It's really damning that they didn't let him do at least that much.

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

He was released because he is a knucklehead that cares more about partying than playing football and he would be a horrible choice for a team that just cleaned out its locker room.  

57 minutes ago, JiF said:

Whoa there....counting chickens before they hatch, eh?

ASJ reports are encouraging, I for one am really surprised, but training camp hasn't even started yet.  The guy was a borderline alcoholic, disrespecting coaches, and failed to learn the playbook... thus run out of Tampa less than a year ago.

Let's see what happens before bringing in another train wreck.

33 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think you mean encouragable?

15 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Its absolutely debatable.

In 2015 DGB's little incident cost him his last year in college and higher draft value. He was a physical freak but with a high cost that couldn't be ignored. Devin Smith, with nothing as bad as what DGB had going on and his own solid collegiate production, was a fair choice in round 2 instead. Smith turned out to be injury prone and it cost him his career, not that there was much sign of that at draft time (If I recall right) but I don't regret choosing Smith over DGB back then.

And now that we're two years out, I especially don't regret it after two teams have cut this guy despite the stats you're lauding. Supposedly he didn't have good work ethic and had a major problem with drops. We didn't miss out on anything by not choosing HIM over Smith when we had the chance. (maybe some other player, but not DGB) The fact that he got let go by TWO teams in two years should proof enough of that.

And who cares if they signed Jeffery and Smith? If the Eagles thought they had something with him they could have kept him and at least let him compete in camp for a 4th or 5th WR spot and let him develop. Not like he was expensive. It's really damning that they didn't let him do at least that much.

Smith was a one trick pony who wasnt even that good at that one trick and was destined to bust in the NFL.  DGB is everything you want in a WR minus being a psycho but psycho works at WR, they're all crazy in the head.  It was the wrong choice.  Clearly.  

2 teams have not cut DGB, the Titans traded him, the Eagles cut him after signing 2 veteran WR's this offseason and drafting 2 more WR's, in addition to already having Mathews and Agholor and Ertz on the roster. 

One man's trash is another mans treasure.  Everything you're saying about DGB could be said about ASJ.  You never know.  What I do know is, Smith's career is over while DGB will be picked up and keep going.

21 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He was released because he is a knucklehead that cares more about partying than playing football and he would be a horrible choice for a team that just cleaned out its locker room.  

ASJ?

I can't believe you jackals would even entertain the "meh" tagline here. Nobody's talking about guaranteed money, or even a roster spot.... our opening day WRs are Enunwa and... ? the fck? Whoever's not hurt or arrested? 

Are you guys insane? Absolutely bring him in for camp and see where it goes. Peake can go to hell.

If the light turns on for DGB, he's the best WR on the team and it's not even close. 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

ASJ?

I already answered this with the links above, but... I see where you are coming from since people are acting like ASJ is Jimmy Graham Jr.  ASJ had 10 catches as a Jet.  I am not holding my breath, but he is already here and seems headed in the right direction.  IMO, we should avoid head cases with sub-50% catch rates, but that's just me. 

What shame he must feel when having to confront ASJ's 10 catches and 0 touchdowns as a Jet!

Like we can afford to be choosy at this stage. And why would I take someone's remark seriously with a childish name like that. Temperamental jets fans with personal agendas are a dime a dozen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One man's trash that was another man's trash is probably just trash.

Two teams decided all his upside wasn't worth it after seeing him in practice and out on the field. DGB didn't show EITHER of the team's he was on that he had enough to warrant keeping and developing. We can't even use the new location-second chance bit with him because he had that and STILL showed he wasn't worth keeping.

Reading around it sounds like he's just another freak athlete who doesn't have what it takes to be a fully fledged WR despite all of his "potential". He's Stephen freaking Hill if Stephen Hill threw a woman down the stairs and showed poor work ethic.

PASS.

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Like we can afford to be choosy at this stage. And why would I take someone's remark seriously with a childish name like that. Temperamental jets fans with personal agendas are a dime a dozen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What exactly is my agenda, specifically?  I have so many of them it seems, it's hard to keep track.

Unless there's some behind the scenes insanity and drama that he's causing, bringing in a guy like this is a no-brainer.  Especially when you see the work Karl Dorrell has done with young receivers here.

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

How in the bloody hell could we not take a chance on this fine young man, given our present roster of talent! Rebuild at it finest! Him and ASJ? Oh god... will make this season watcheable

that's not one but two WR needy teams that have attempted to utilize DGB since he was drafted (not long after we drafted Devin Smith).  The problem seems to be that DGB is as dumb as a door knob and can't learn an NFL playbook.  I read somewhere here (a post that had a reference I think), that they had DGB line up outside near the sidelines so that the coaches could yell what the play was to him since he couldn't figure it out when a QB audibled and didn't understand much from the huddle.  No matter how physically gifted the dude is, you have to be able to understand the offensive plays and be able to correctly react to the call, whether from the huddle or audibled.  DGB might just be so dumb that he can't do this.  If so, he will never last in the NFL.  

2 hours ago, JiF said:

ASJ stopped drinking. DGB I thought was just not good at football.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

The QB?  Not sh*t.  haha

They have Alshon Jeffery, Jordan Matthews, Nelson Agholor and Torrey Smith - i assume they didnt need DGB anymore. 

Agholor sucks.  Torrey Smith is a one-trick post-pattern pony.  Jeffery is always injured and Matthews hasn't lived up to his rep.  Of course Philly needed him.  So did Tennessee, a team with piss-poor WRs at the time.  Not good for DGB.  He can't understand the plays.  You don't have to be a genius or Harvard alum in the NFL, but you do have to be football literate enough to understand the playbook.  DGB can't.

I would take a shot on him...................mainly because we have nothing to lose.  Especially since I believe they got rid of the first line of cuts in the pre-season, which allows more time to look at players.  

Beckham is an idiot from almost all reports.  I posted about this a few times here, but he had to line up near the coach's sideline at Missouri because he couldn't understand audibles, and would literally turn to the coaching staff so they could tell him.   Since we actually have a dearth of talent, there is no harm in bringing him in and seeing if he could actually be good.  

Brandon Marshall coming out of college:

6'5" - 229 - 1.6 Ten Yard Split - 4.52 Forty - 37" Vertical - 120" Broad - 6.96 Three cone - 4.31 Twenty yard shuttle

Beckham:

6'5" - 237 - 1.61 Ten Yard Split - 4.49 Forty - 33" Vertical - 119" Broad - 6.89 Three cone - 4.45 Twenty yard shuttle

So he has physical ability, it's just a matter of him putting it together and learning.  Maybe he learns?  Maybe he doesn't?  However, I don't see any harm in bringing him in, much in the same way I don't see any harm in bringing in ASJ at first, although it hasn't cost us yet.  Reports are promising though, and what did we really lose for him? Cumberland? Davis?

Again, his biggest problem is that he's just not smart.  He actually made more sense in Gailey's system because the receivers aren't taught numerous routes, but rather told to perfect a limited amount.  However, if Morton is a WR whisperer, then maybe he can correct him.  I wouldn't guarantee him anything, but definitely take a shot.

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

How in the bloody hell could we not take a chance on this fine young man, given our present roster of talent! Rebuild at it finest! Him and ASJ? Oh god... will make this season watcheable

Because he can't, or probably won't learn the playbooks every where he goes.

Archived