DGB released.... WE MUST!! The season can be saved yet!!

Paradis

Second round picks with tons of physical ability don't get bounced around like this just for being slow to develop. There's something else going on. 

Ehhh I think you're looking for dramatic. If there was a trouble maker narrative - we would have heard about it. Zero reason to keep that quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Ehhh I think you're looking for dramatic. If there was a trouble maker narrative - we would have heard about it. Zero reason to keep that quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe not a trouble maker. Maybe just a poor worker who's not quite bright enough to pick up an NFL playbook. I think you're being too forgiving because you like the player, but how many second round picks with his physical attributes find themselves looking for a third team in three years? It's more than him just being slow to develop. It's two teams (so far) looking at him and not seeing anything salvageable there. 

I'll take all of those guys over DGB.
Sure, why not. Something stinks here and I don't feel like we're missing out on anything with him not being on the team.
Really its the character issues that are doing it for me, supposedly he just wasn't that teachable and has a poor work ethic. Doesn't sound like somebody worth the time to kick the tires on. Lets just focus on the names above and leave it at that.

That's perfectly reasonable.

I think people can make an argument for every single guy here if they wish. I just posted the list because I know if DGB flames out, people will point to this thread as ridicule for suggesting to sign him. I wanted to even it out for people standing for an unpopular move, by having people just accept that they take all the camp guys over him, and take an unsafe position of their own.

I think he's dumb more than lazy, but he does have potential. He was a big basketball recruit as well, and we see teams sometimes just pick guys off basketball rosters with minimal football exposure.

I wouldn't call him a budding starter, but the physical profile is interesting enough to bring into camp, especially since the cut offs are later this year.

16 minutes ago, slats said:

Maybe not a trouble maker. Maybe just a poor worker who's not quite bright enough to pick up an NFL playbook. I think you're being too forgiving because you like the player, but how many second round picks with his physical attributes find themselves looking for a third team in three years? It's more than him just being slow to develop. It's two teams (so far) looking at him and not seeing anything salvageable there. 

Even if you discount the "narrative" that he's a head-case, it seems just as likely that he simply can't play football. Teams kept giving Plaxico Burress, Brandon Marshall and Andre Rison chances even though it was well-documented that they were fruit loops from college on. 

100% agreed. See if there is any chance somebody on the coaching staff can get through to him. Takes some dudes much longer than others for the light to come on. This is pretty much a dress rehearsal season anyhow. If he truly is too dumb and not able to control hiomseld in his personal life then cut him. If this dude can grow up and learn the playbook he could be a true number one on this team for years to come. Nobody asking to sign him long term, just bring him in and kick the tires. 

Yeah, there is minimal risk. Furthermore, Morton is a WR coach that might be able to get through to him in terms of running routes better.

We have one of the worst rosters in the league, which affords us the ability to take some risks, it may or may not work. Some team like the Browns could afford to take a shot on Terrele Pryor because they aren't a win now team. It doesn't have to work but it's worth a shot.

I know we would all rather get an Amari Cooper or OBJ, but those guys aren't hitting the market for us.

No, what you can just as easily be saying is you don't want a bad seed, a lazy undisciplined player mixing with a young roster.  That he will do more harm than good and with to guarantee he'll bring the team even one extra win.

If a fringe roster pick up can contaminate the entire locker room, I think we may as well start scouting coaches.

If he starts acting up, you release him, as it costs us the 90th player on the roster. There is minimal risk for us because the cost of acquisition is so low.

On 6/30/2017 at 7:03 PM, Paradis said:

How in the bloody hell could we not take a chance on this fine young man, given our present roster of talent! Rebuild at it finest! Him and ASJ? Oh god... will make this season watcheable

No. And here's why. 

This is a guy who had to transfer schools due to issues. When he was drafted the team that drafted him traded him one year later, the team that picked him up released him one year later. 

That's a pretty clear sign. I dont even have to go into details of his alleged issues. The bottomline is that he hasnt been able to stick anywhere and it ISNT due to his football ability. That in itself means that we should stay far away from him during this rebuild. 

Personally, I don't want to sign him.  First because I thought all the people yelling we HAD to take him in the first or second were our of their minds  Second because I think the pendulum should be swinging towards the Mangini/team captain guys and I don't want to **** up the atmosphere.  OTOH, a team that picked up ASJ and was first to claim Cannon who was cut for being a lazy bitch and not finishing his routes in practice in camp seems like exactly the ones to take a chot on this lazy lump of throwing women down the stairs crap.  

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Personally, I don't want to sign him.  First because I thought all the people yelling we HAD to take him in the first or second were our of their minds  Second because I think the pendulum should be swinging towards the Mangini/team captain guys and I don't want to **** up the atmosphere.  OTOH, a team that picked up ASJ and was first to claim Cannon who was cut for being a lazy bitch and not finishing his routes in practice in camp seems like exactly the ones to take a chot on this lazy lump of throwing women down the stairs crap.  

To add to my own point,  cause I forgot:

A team that is running a simplified offense with less option routes is precisely the type that should take a chance on this numbskull.  Must more chance of success with that than running up the seam while Eli is expecting him to run an out.

Is quoting your own post bad form?  It can't be as bad as repping it, right?

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

Oh Christ. You're taking so many liberties with this argument that's lost all semblance of weight. Show me a report that states he's toxic. That he's been trouble in the lockeroom. That he's been anything but just inconsistent and lacking an NFL work ethic. Go on... I'll wait. 

He's the exact kind of player you take a chance on... Talented kid who has matured/learned the game. Otherwise he'd be still on a roster. 

Another WR that you love and are selling to the board.  Yes, he's matured.  You're right.  And he's talented and productive.  That's why he was replaced.  

I mean...we have enough young talented prospects and simply not enough depth chart slots. I wouldn't even waste my time or my headache medicine on the guy. Hanson, Stewart, Anderson need reps. They are either A.) have  recent draft capital invested In them or B.) Has simply shown way more production on the field to not keep in the immediate mix.(Anderson's case) ...let this DGB hype go. 

There is literally a thread on this board for every 'intriguing' FA player to ever hit the surface  since 2004 lol.

On 6/30/2017 at 1:03 PM, Paradis said:

How in the bloody hell could we not take a chance on this fine young man, given our present roster of talent! Rebuild at it finest! Him and ASJ? Oh god... will make this season watcheable

Three reasons why the Eagles released Dorial Green-Beckham

The first one is obvious.

by Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton 

usa_today_9500377.0.jpgCharles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

The Eagles officially released Dorial Green-Beckham on Friday (story here). Here are three reasons why.

1 - DGB was very bad

This is the main reason above all else. It’s really as simple as that.

DGB wasn’t good enough to stick around. He has ideal size, yes, but he just didn’t play up to his physical ability. His effort was also in question at times ... both on and off the field.

DGB struggled mightily in spring practices this year. He dropped a lot of passes and constantly got yelled at by new Eagles wide receivers coach Mike Groh. The Eagles gave him plenty of time to show what he can do and it was clear DGB just wasn’t good enough.

A small factor here is that the Eagles save around $500,000 in cap space by cutting him. That’s not a ton (in the NFL world, at least) but it makes the decision to cut him even easier.

2 - The Eagles are high on Marcus Johnson

Adam Caplan, who has good Eagles sources, notes that the team is high on Marcus Johnson.

#Eagles got an extended look at Marcus Johnson during OTAs with Jordan Matthews (knee) sidelined. Johnson took advantage of extra reps.

Wait, who?

Johnson signed with the Eagles as an undrafted rookie free agent last year. The team was higher on him than you would have expected but then he got hurt in training camp. Johnson was waived and then signed to the practice squad later during the 2016 season.

Now Johnson is back and there’s a real chance he could make Philadelphia’s 53-man roster. The 6-1, 204 pound pass catcher had a good spring. He’s not a star or anything but he could potentially beat out Shelton Gibson if the Eagles only keep six pass catchers. Johnson ran a 4.37 40-yard dash at his pro day so he’s got some speed.

It seemed noteworthy to me that Johnson was getting some reps with the Eagles first team offense during minicamp earlier this month.

3 - The Eagles are also high on Mack Hollins

Caplan also notes the Eagles like what they’ve seen out of Hollins. We’ve previously heard a similar report.

Hollins had a good spring as well. He didn’t make a ton of super flashy plays; he was just really consistent and didn’t make many mistakes. Hollins figures to be a key special teams player for the Birds this season and moving forward. It remains to be seen how large his offensive role will be but he figures to get some kind of playing time there.

Closing the book on DGB

Let’s be honest: DGB’s fate was sealed a long time ago. The Eagles clearly weren’t going to keep him after adding Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith in free agency. Philadelphia selecting Hollins and Gibson in the 2017 NFL Draft only further confirmed that.

The Eagles’ wide receiver picture now looks something like this heading into 2017:

Alshon Jeffery is the team’s No. 1 wide receiver target.

Torrey Smith is a veteran contributor who can help stretch the field.

Jordan Matthews is a solid slot receiver for this team assuming he doesn’t get traded.

Nelson Agholor is still very much a bust but at least he had an encouraging spring.

Hollins is a special teams guy and role player/backup at receiver.

That’s five receivers right there. I think the Eagles could keep six with either Johnson or Gibson being the guy. Gibson really struggled during spring practices — he just couldn’t catch the football. So I’d give Johnson the edge right now.

Trading Matthews would open up another receiver spot, but the Eagles wouldn’t make a deal just so they could do that. With that said, if the Eagles really do like Johnson, perhaps that makes Matthews more expendable.

There’s still a lot of time left for the Eagles’ wide receiver situation to play out. All we know for sure is that DGB won’t be part of it.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Another WR that you love and are selling to the board.  Yes, he's matured.  You're right.  And he's talented and productive.  That's why he was replaced.  

that was obviously a typo, it was clearly meant to read hasn't matured...  still waiting for the heaps of toxic, corrosive behavior you threw on the table. If I didn't know any better, i'd think we were talking about Hernandez the way you reacted 

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

that was obviously a typo, it was clearly meant to read hasn't matured...  still waiting for the heaps of toxic, corrosive behavior you threw on the table. If I didn't know any better, i'd think we were talking about Hernandez the way you reacted 

When your starting point is threw a woman down the stairs, you'd better not have "prioritized getting acquainted with the Philly nightlife over outworking teammates in practice" as your most recent resume entry: 

It think its safe to say that there will always be a divide between fans that support reclamation projects, and those that feel someone's else headache should stay way.. 

To that, I say -- if we're drafting well? Team Reclamation is not going to have a popular voice. And vice versa.. I'd say presently, Team reclamation has a voice. 

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

When your starting point is threw a woman down the stairs, you'd better not have "prioritized getting acquainted with the Philly nightlife over outworking teammates in practice" as your most recent resume entry: 

Show the smear campaign? I'm not under any illusion about his shortcomings. I'm also not making sweeping assumptions... Like ASJ, there's talent worth sniffing given our roster. If we're so fragile that DGB will coagulate our entire lockeroom then it's time to shut this franchise down.  

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Show the smear campaign? I'm not under any illusion about his shortcomings. I'm also not making sweeping assumptions... Like ASJ, there's talent worth sniffing given our roster. If we're so fragile that DGB will coagulate our entire lockeroom then it's time to shut this franchise down.  

If you want a young team that plays hard and practices hard, you generally don't pick up guys that got cut for not practicing hard. Pretty sure that DGB is one of those guys you make your mind up in the interview and that's that. Don't have a problem what they do either way. FWIW, he has not been producing.  His catch rate was abysmal both years

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

You're right, he's a standout citizen.  Goes to you not working, ignoring the playbook and video work proves it.   

Now, please copy and paste where I said he's had a history of heaps of toxic, corrosive behavior.  

39 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You're right, he's a standout citizen.  Goes to you not working, ignoring the playbook and video work proves it.   

Now, please copy and paste where I said he's had a history of heaps of toxic, corrosive behavior.  

I don't have enough anger/passion to keep running circles here with my own jet fans. It comes down to; I loved his upside in college, and our roster sucks. You want to point a finger at his poor work habits and attitude, i get it. I just don't give a fck. Not when i'm staring the down the double barrel named Enunwa and Anderson. I'll bring in freaks like DGB every day of the week until something happens. One way or another. 

12 hours ago, Paradis said:

Yeah but didn't ASJ at least show some success when he was on the field? It was more of getting his off the field stuff straightened out. This team has enough guys already at WR to explore and even to see if they further improve. 

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-eagles/green-beckhams-release-shows-eagles-finally-committed-fielding-productive-wr

"DGB was brutal. Painful to watch.

On the field, he showed no ability to adjust on a throw that was a millimeter too high or too low. He had zero body control and never was able to use that speed to get open. His instincts were terrible. He looked like a wide receiver, he just didn't play like one.

Off the field, he never showed any fire. The drops, the lack of production, the weekly disappearing act never seemed to bother him.
When Nelson Agholor struggled, a lot of us felt for him because you could tell it was tearing him up inside. You could tell he gave a crap.

DGB? You never got any sense of that.

Green-Beckham finished last year with 36 catches but they went for only 392 yards. He caught only eight passes longer than 15 yards, and five of them came with the Eagles already trailing by double digits.

Honestly, it was tough to watch. With each passing week, DGB looked less and less interested, less and less engaged.
DGB was awful in OTAs this spring, and any chance he had of even making it to training camp evaporated during the June practices. His release Friday was inevitable."

Just let the dream go my friend. You got ASJ, enjoy while it lasts. 

31 minutes ago, thadude said:

Would he hit reporters with multiple passes in practice?

In retrospect, the week that our beat writers spent saying "no, no, no...he hit us on a bounce' is probably a top five ever Jets media week.

I wanted this guy over Smith in the draft.  In spite of his physical talent He has since been cut from two teams.   Strongly suspect there is a good bit of locker room drama involved with him, pass Jets don't need it

On 6/30/2017 at 2:22 PM, JiF said:

Smith was a one trick pony who wasnt even that good at that one trick and was destined to bust in the NFL.  DGB is everything you want in a WR minus being a psycho but psycho works at WR, they're all crazy in the head.  It was the wrong choice.  Clearly.  

2 teams have not cut DGB, the Titans traded him, the Eagles cut him after signing 2 veteran WR's this offseason and drafting 2 more WR's, in addition to already having Mathews and Agholor and Ertz on the roster. 

One man's trash is another mans treasure.  Everything you're saying about DGB could be said about ASJ.  You never know.  What I do know is, Smith's career is over while DGB will be picked up and keep going.

In fairness, Smith's career is over primarily because he hasn't been healthy enough to see the field for 2 of his 3 seasons. While he didn't wow the league from day one, it's not as though he was benched for 3 years running.

Archived