Slater: 10 Dumbest Things Jets Have Done

T0mShane

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

Is cutting Pennington for 1year of Favre just to have Pennington beat the Jets to win the division on the list or is that too painful to even acknowledge? 

Took a 1-15 Fin's team to the playoffs in a Brady less year..:)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Eric Mangini should be hired by the NY Jets in some capacity on that alone if the tables were turned BB would surely hire the person who turned against the Jets. 

Eric is to busy warming up to BB so they can be friends again..

7 hours ago, roscoeword said:

Don't think it's true that Riggins didn't want to be here. The Jets simply didn't care enough to give a big contract to anyone besides Joe willy. It was Riggins who deserved the big payday, he was amazing for us. In his Washington years he was more of a Czonka like fullback. For us he was still quite fast and could turn the corner. Watching him catching flairs out of the backfield and turning up up field was one of the great sights of all time for a Jets fan,   if he was old enough to witness it. 

I watch anything I can find on the man.  I've seen interviews where he said he wanted to be the focal point of the offense, and with Joe, that would never happen.  Could be him changing his story over time, but it is believable.

9 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I watch anything I can find on the man.  I've seen interviews where he said he wanted to be the focal point of the offense, and with Joe, that would never happen.  Could be him changing his story over time, but it is believable.

It was over money also plus the Namath jealousy but Joe liked him ....

“Initially, you knew he was a character just by the way he carried himself,” said Hall of Fame Jets quarterback Joe Namath, a free spirit in his own right. “I remember John from his Mohawk days and his motorcycle. He painted his toenails before a game. I thought that was cute. Green, of course. He was eccentric, but as a teammate he was sensational. I never played a game with him when he wasn’t prepared.”

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Eric Mangini single-handedly invalidated every win that the Patriots have accumulated for the past 15 years, turning this era in NFL history into baseball's steroids era. He's paying the price for it now. Eric Mangini is an American hero.

Mangini now quietly setting himself up for the commissioners job and will eventually succeed where Goodell has failed miserably. ☺

Yes....and a statue.

13 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

It was over money also plus the Namath jealousy but Joe liked him ....

“Initially, you knew he was a character just by the way he carried himself,” said Hall of Fame Jets quarterback Joe Namath, a free spirit in his own right. “I remember John from his Mohawk days and his motorcycle. He painted his toenails before a game. I thought that was cute. Green, of course. He was eccentric, but as a teammate he was sensational. I never played a game with him when he wasn’t prepared.”

I became a Riggins fan the day he killed Miami to avenge the Mud Bowl.  What a matchup that would have been.   Riggins and the Hogs vs. the Sack Exchange. 

Crap, I think AJ Duhe just picked off Todd again in an old timer flag football game.....

Am I mis-remembering that we hired Belichick to be HC and then pushed him aside to bring Parcells in? We really just should have stuck with Belichick. Our staff would have been the same, and unlike many, I think Parcells was not a great HC, but had Belichick and a knack for choosing great cooridinators and position coaches.

+10000000. Most overrated coach in history

Sent from my SM-J727V using JetNation.com mobile app

Literally everyone involved in the Manning Conspiracy denies that it happened.

Literally you're the only person that believes otherwise. Archie Manning wife even owns up to it. Let it go, your hero is tarnished and single handedly responsible for the biggest blunder in Jets history which is saying a lot. All because of his big fat ego.

I am honestly not that down on the Jets over gholston.  He was stiff looking but he did have a measure of production in college, most pundits had him about where we drafted him ,we needed a pass rusher.

Did we not win a meaningless game or two at the end of the previous year taking us out of the matt ryan sweepstakes?

18 minutes ago, billo83 said:

Literally you're the only person that believes otherwise. Archie Manning wife even owns up to it. Let it go, your hero is tarnished and single handedly responsible for the biggest blunder in Jets history which is saying a lot. All because of his big fat ego.

do U guys have meetings

The Jets having done such an unbelievably long list of dumb things, it's kind of amazing to see an awful job done to come up with a mere 10 of them.  Some of these are even things the Jets had no control over, making it even more laughable.  In addition to many of those already mentioned as ridiculous, even some of the ones that are bad are still nowhere near the worst.

While the trade-up for Robertson obviously wasn't good, it's sad to say he's nowhere close to the worst of Jets' picks.  In the case of Favre, having one of the top things on the list being something they actively tried to do, and couldn't find a trading partner for, is pretty nonsensical.  Unlike some of the other options mentioned, and thousands of others that could similarly be brought up, they never even had a chance to get him.  And Carroll is a more popular one in recent years, but has always been idiotic.  The basis of this argument is when looking at results of what he did nearly 20 years later, which included being fired from another NFL HC gig, and then spending a decade in college.  Obviously the Kotite hire ended up being awful, but that doesn't mean keeping Carroll would have come anywhere close to seeing him have the kind of success he's had with Seattle.

He won two Super Bowls. He took a 1-15 Jets team and turned it around.  First they were 9-7 then he took them to the Championship Game in which they were ahead in Denver by a 10-0 score. Then the running backs forgot to hang on to the ball.  Not his fault.

Vinny got hurt in Game one at the start of the 2009 season. Game over.

Enough said.

On 7/3/2017 at 11:37 AM, T0mShane said:

I was a big Pete Carroll fan, but Pete wasn't ready to run an NFL team at that time. It wasn't until he got fired a few more times and got to USC that he finally matured into a leader. I always thought Herm needed to do something like that--take over a college program and grow up on the job.

Was gonna say exactly that re: Carroll.  Don't get me wrong, I think firing him for Kotite belongs on this list..but I would probably put something else number 1.  

Personally, I think you could have thrown Gholston up at 1 for the mere fact that he was such a bust.  On top of that, many here (myself included) wanted the Jets to trade up for Matt Ryan (to Tanny's credit, he admitted years later that they had tried to do this) or stay put at 6 and draft Joe Flacco.  Considering our overall talent for the 08, 09, & '10 seasons, Flacco would have likely flourished and developed quite well. Especially if we had kept Chad for one more year and he got the chance to sit and learn (not taking away the fact that he proved he could play day one in the league, just saying it would have helped him even more).

I also believe trading for Tim Tebow and subsequently passing on every available QB prospect in the 2012 draft class should be up there somewhere too, even if it's only as honorable mentions.

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I am honestly not that down on the Jets over gholston.  He was stiff looking but he did have a measure of production in college, most pundits had him about where we drafted him ,we needed a pass rusher.

Did we not win a meaningless game or two at the end of the previous year taking us out of the matt ryan sweepstakes?

Yup, the winning the Chiefs game in '07 moved us out of 3 and threw ATL up there to 3.  As I just said though, passing on Flacco for Vernon when Joe, IMHO, was worth pick #6, even before he proved it with his rookie season, is something you could strongly use against the front office.

10. agree- parcells was a draft day disaster

9. this is true only if he stays here and drafts Brady.  w/o Brady BB would be a DC somewhere today.

8. of course

7. can't blame them, Jimmy Johnson said he would have drafted him over Emmitt

6. didn't kill us

5. he was really good for a year or 2 but was damaged goods.  

4. uggh

3. he never would have succeed here, it would have been like Atlanta

2. yes

1. NO, Kotite ensured we would hit rock bottom which led us to BP which led us to Bradway and others and our longest stretch of competitive football in franchise history.  Kotite also brought in a bunch of key players for the '98 team.

Archived