Sam Darnold not a lock to enter draft

JOJOTOWNSELL

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a lot of people have already stated, if he's #1, he'll enter. Whoever is dead set on the Jets going 1-15, and hoping to draft Darnold, you're best bet is rooting for USC to with the national title. He'll have no reason to stay if he's #1 and they won it all.

If Darnold is the consensus #1 pick next year, there is no way that he will stay in school.  Anything can happen over the next year.  Other QB's might emerge.  Others might fall off of the map.  Wasn't Geno Smith considered the consensus #1 pick halfway through 2012 college season?

5 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

If Darnold is the consensus #1 pick next year, there is no way that he will stay in school.  Anything can happen over the next year.  Other QB's might emerge.  Others might fall off of the map.  Wasn't Geno Smith considered the consensus #1 pick halfway through 2012 college season?

No

Geno was projected as a mid to late first round pick until he bombed all his interviews.  He was never a consensus #1 like Luck or Winston or next year with Darnold

16 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Yeah because Tiki Barber, Jason Seahorn, and Strahan didn't benefit from playing in NY.

Peyton is a unusual guy, and Brady is widely viewed as the GOAT.

Darnold actually strikes me as a guy who would value the coaching situation over which market he plays in, so if your the Jets, and you hear this to be true you give Harbaugh a blank check, and 5% of the franchise to get the kid to come out, and get drafted by the Jets lol.

It's obvious what we need to do

Darnold isn't playing for this current joke of a regime Macagnan and Bowles

But if we hire a Jim Harbaugh or even some other GM and Head Coach he will come here

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Already tried that.  Got a WR and a LB for our troubles.  Peyton came out the year after.  So Jetsy!

I can almost guarantee we don't draft a qb next year.  Not because Hack or Petty.  McCown will get us to 6 wins and Mac and Bowles and the media will act like he's a 1998 Vinny

2 minutes ago, thadude said:

I can almost guarantee we don't draft a qb next year.  Not because Hack or Petty.  McCown will get us to 6 wins and Mac and Bowles and the media will act like he's a 1998 Vinny

Exactly why McCown shouldn't even start, let the young kids play. We will draft a QB next year. It's not a knock on Hack, but he is learning a new offense, shaky o-line, and one proven WR who may or may not have the potential to be the 1. 

There is ZERO chance that the GM and HC headed down this path without some kind of a handshake agreement from ownership that they would keep their jobs for another year after the tank.

There is ZERO chance that ownership did not sign off on this approach before the bloodletting began.

And so there is ZERO chance we will see Bowles or Mac fired during or after this year unless we end up with another 7 win season.

ZERO.

4 minutes ago, EM31 said:

There is ZERO chance that the GM and HC headed down this path without some kind of a handshake agreement from ownership that they would keep their jobs for another year after the tank.

There is ZERO chance that ownership did not sign off on this approach before the bloodletting began.

And so there is ZERO chance we will see Bowles or Mac fired during or after this year unless we end up with another 7 win season.

ZERO.

Do you think that Idzik went into 2014 without an assurance that his job was safe?  That team was horrid.  There were no CBs.  Literally.  The whole thing may well have been done to rid himself of Rex and the buffoonish press conference may be what forced Woody to pull the trigger, but still.  Off they went

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Do you think that Idzik went into 2014 without an assurance that his job was safe?  That team was horrid.  There were no CBs.  Literally.  The whole thing may well have been done to rid himself of Rex and the buffoonish press conference may be what forced Woody to pull the trigger, but still.  Off they went

I think Idzik rolled the dice that he could get rid of Rex and fix up the team's cap situation without losing his job in the process.  It might have worked too if the drafting had not been historically bad.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think it's clear that Mac feels he has the job security to tank.

Given how upset Bowles was that they cut Harris, I'm not sure he does. Could easily see a scenario where he's the scapegoat.

Definitely. I am sure Macc got the approval from Woody to go ahead and rebuild. Idzik tried the same but his drafts were soo bad that he lost the confidence of the fanbase and the owner. 

Macc will need to hit on Adams/Mayes and a few others  to keep his job safe through a 2-14 type season. If Adam is a stud, Williams is a stud and Lee is OK, that's not a bad resume if a few other draft picks/FAs hit like Robbie Anderson/Jenkins/Shell/Burris/Mayes etc.. From what I've seen, there is a good chance a bunch of these players will be really good/solid.  

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

my exact thought.

+1 to @nycdan for the correct use of the word Jetsy!!!

3 hours ago, thadude said:

But if we hire a Jim Harbaugh or even some other GM and Head Coach he will come here

If Darnold is a true #1 guy, and the jets have the #1 pick AND he is on the fence about declaring - Id rather offer the head job to Clay Helton, keep Morton as the OC (they obviously both have ties to the USC offense and Darnold), make Sam's transition to the playbook easier and put him in a situation with a young coach like Helton who he already has a relationship with.

We can easily find a defensive coordinator with the team we have now and a franchise QB in place.

14 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

Please don't take this sarcastically, but have you watched him play?  Not just the Rose Bowl, just sat back and just watched some of his games? Kid truly looks legit, and not in just the defenses can't figure him out way.  This isn't like teams struggling to adjust to a Manziel or similarly difficult to contain player who is breaking the play with their feet.  Darnold was just picking teams apart and throwing the ball downfield on a dime, and pushing the ball past the sticks time and time again with ease. He's not always depending on his WRs to take a 5 yard pass for 50 yards, or running bubble screens and rub routes all day long.  He's out there actually looking like a legit Pro Passer. Sure he has those throws in there as well and it does pad his stats, but he's still regularly making the harder throws and going through his progressions.  He's far, far ahead of a lot of guys going into their 3rd and 4th years. That's what is so exciting. He is already ahead of the curve as a QB and played extremely well in most of his games AND he has already proven that he can put a team on his shoulders in a huge game and dominate. If he continues to develop at the same rate, we could easily be comparing him to Luck coming out in terms of how Luck was projected in his draft year.

Very true analysis.  Sure he could take a step back, but as someone who has watched his games, i dont think he will.  Its more then accuracy too, to me, he has Rogers esque pocket feel as far as avoiding the rush without taking his eyes away from the field, which is more important than any other QB trait.  He moves so effortlessly, and throws without any sense of the chaos around him, that (again, to me) he seems miles ahead of other prospects at this point.

Just throwing my vote in here but my bet is Darnold has a very close to Andrew Luck grade when this year is done and Josh Allen is second - both of who will go in the top 4.  

16 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Were the browns coaches and players tanking last year? Hell no. 

Did the front office put together a roster to maximize the teams chances at winning as many games as possible? Hell no.

The jets are in the exact same situation..

Could the Jets surprise everyone and win 10 games? Sure. But the goal is pretty clear and it's not to win as many games as possible. If it was, they never would have let Marshall, Decker, Harris go.

I think Jets will start the season 5-0.  To bad preseason doesn't count. 2-14 at best.

I am sure this guy and/or his family is talking to everyone right now.  Former players, coaches, probably people with connections to USC & the Jets like Pete Carroll, Ronnie Lott, Mark Sanchez, Leonard Williams.  I expect the feedback is that if he were to play here and succeed, he'd be not just an NFL superstar, but a cultural icon.  However, it would be near impossible given the owner, FO, coaching staff, media, etc.  

7 hours ago, EM31 said:

ZERO.

Mangini and his unemployment checks say what up

1 hour ago, Il Mostro said:

If the Jets wind up with the #1 pick and Darnold decides to stay in school, it would rank among the Jetsiest moments in the team's history.  It is bound to happen.

Todd Bowles drools on himself during games.  Mac naps during round 2 in the draft

4 hours ago, BCJet said:

If Darnold is a true #1 guy, and the jets have the #1 pick AND he is on the fence about declaring - Id rather offer the head job to Clay Helton, keep Morton as the OC (they obviously both have ties to the USC offense and Darnold), make Sam's transition to the playbook easier and put him in a situation with a young coach like Helton who he already has a relationship with.

We can easily find a defensive coordinator with the team we have now and a franchise QB in place.

If we have the #1 pick even more reason to clean house and show Darnold we are not the East Coast version of the Cleveland Browns

On 7/5/2017 at 9:10 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Were the browns coaches and players tanking last year? Hell no. 

Did the front office put together a roster to maximize the teams chances at winning as many games as possible? Hell no.

The jets are in the exact same situation..

Could the Jets surprise everyone and win 10 games? Sure. But the goal is pretty clear and it's not to win as many games as possible. If it was, they never would have let Marshall, Decker, Harris go.

No they're not trying to lose games.  Get this out of your head.  And you citing three unproductive, overpaid players who were released isn't proof

13 hours ago, thadude said:

Sure, he won't come because of Macc.  It's hard to be this bad.

10 hours ago, BCJet said:

Very true analysis.  Sure he could take a step back, but as someone who has watched his games, i dont think he will.  Its more then accuracy too, to me, he has Rogers esque pocket feel as far as avoiding the rush without taking his eyes away from the field, which is more important than any other QB trait.  He moves so effortlessly, and throws without any sense of the chaos around him, that (again, to me) he seems miles ahead of other prospects at this point.

Just throwing my vote in here but my bet is Darnold has a very close to Andrew Luck grade when this year is done and Josh Allen is second - both of who will go in the top 4.  

End of the year and I think my rankings will still be:

1. Darnold

2. Rosen

3. Rudolph

4. Allen 

I also agree that Darnold will have a Luck-esque grade.  They have similar games.  I also see a lot of Tony Romo (with a clutch gene) in his play style and feel for the pocket (Romo EXCELLED at this).  

I don't trust Josh Allen at all. I think he deserves to be the 4th guy taken but have a feeling he will be the 2nd or 3rd QB selected.  I can't tell if he's a poor man's Paxton Lynch or a rich man's Paxton Lynch and that's not a compliment.

Mason Rudolph, IMHO, will be the Russell Wilson/Kirk Cousins/Derek Carr/Dak Prescott of this class.  The guy that gets overlooked by the other names, but balls out just as well as the rest of em.  

Josh Rosen, before Darnold came along, was my top gun.  A healthy year filled with fulfilled hype/potential and he can throw his name back up there.  I still like him a lot.

When the jets tank like alot want here I can totally see Darnold super hyped to get drafted by a 0-16 team. If he has the chance to bypass that mess...it could happen.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

33 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

When the jets tank like alot want here I can totally see Darnold super hyped to get drafted by a 0-16 team. If he has the chance to bypass that mess...it could happen.

Like Stafford when the Lions drafted him?

No offense to Sam, but if a bad team drafting you forces you to avoid coming out, then you're a gigantic p*ssy and I don't want any part of a player that would even consider that.  Especially a QB with that mindset.  Peyton was a b*tch for it back then and any other QB pulling that sh*t, nowadays, is just as bad.

This is all going to be moot discussion anyway. Unless he gets hurt or has a down year, he's coming to the NFL.

No offense to Sam, but if a bad team drafting you forces you to avoid coming out, then you're a gigantic p*ssy and I don't want any part of a player that would even consider that.  Especially a QB with that mindset.  Peyton was a b*tch for it back then and any other QB pulling that sh*t, nowadays, is just as bad.
This is all going to be moot discussion anyway. Unless he gets hurt or has a down year, he's coming to the NFL.

True but it's happened, Micheal Vick is another example and even Eli.

You are correct we will have no clue what may transpire until he has finished at least half his season. He could turn into joe average or be great still or have a season ending injury...or and so on and so on. Time will tell.

On 7/7/2017 at 0:17 AM, nicg4360 said:

Yeah because almost all number 1 overall picks go to 16-0 teams. 

Wish the bitch Payton came to jets

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Been saying this ever since this "Suck for Sam" bullsh*t started. Guys anointing this kid the second coming before he even plays a down in the NFL. Not to mention the expectations placed on the kid before he is EVEN DRAFTED. Not to mention the fact that even if the Jets do get the #1 pick the kid might not come out. Here is an article saying just that and still guys are saying its bullsh*t. Here's an even bigger caveat to chew over. If Hack shows even a little bit of progress I bet Macc doesn't even draft a QB no matter what pick the Jets have. Macc is itching to say I told you so when it comes to picking Hack that he will NOT draft a QB unless Hack is total garbage. That you can take to the bank my sucking for sam friends.

Archived