Sam Darnold not a lock to enter draft

JOJOTOWNSELL

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he has a good year and is projected to go #1, he will come out. If he stays in college he could get hurt, have a bad year playing, or have some off field issue. Why would a kid pass up the money and prestige of being selected #1 because he doesn't want to be drafted by the Jets? Really? If you want to be picked #1, you are going to a crappy team. Would you rather go to a team that has 2 AFCC games in the last decade or the Browns, etc?

Also, if we do get the #1 pick, what are the odds we keep Bowles?

If he has a crappy year and his stock drops he may stay; if he is still the likely #1 pick, he is going to come out IMO

17 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Brandon Marshall and Decker are unproductive players? Okie dokie

In case you haven't noticed, Marshall was below average and Decker missed most of the season.  Again.  And they're overpaid for their return.   Okie dokie? 

Theyre the kinds of WRs that just about every team has.  

On 7/6/2017 at 5:24 PM, thadude said:

Mangini and his unemployment checks say what up

As usual you have no idea what you're talking about.  Mangini was given no guarantees while he ran the team like a secret military operation and made the owner uncomfortable around his own team.  

54 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

So do I.  I'm not gonna deny it.  Still a soft move that knocks him down a few pegs in my book...not that my book matters much, lol.  Just don't like it.

I wouldn't have played for the 1990s Jets either if I had the choice

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

As usual you have no idea what you're talking about.  Mangini was given no guarantees 

No you are wrong yet again

August 2008 Woody promised Mangini after trading for Favre he would be back in 2009

18 minutes ago, thadude said:

August 2008 Woody promised Mangini after trading for Favre he would be back in 2009

The only person who has EVER said this was Mangini himself.  Given his track record, that isn't the best source for reliability.  Countless players have said that the guy took the enjoyment out of football and that he was absolutely hated.  Then there's the whole "he made the owner paranoid to be around his own team" thing and you have a situation where, once again, the only person who would be wrong here is you.

The only person who has EVER said this was Mangini himself.  Given his track record, that isn't the best source for reliability.  Countless players have said that the guy took the enjoyment out of football and that he was absolutely hated.  Then there's the whole "he made the owner paranoid to be around his own team" thing and you have a situation where, once again, the only person who would be wrong here is you.

Not for nuthin I trust mangini (and Madoff) over woody

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 7/7/2017 at 9:12 AM, JetFaninMI said:

Been saying this ever since this "Suck for Sam" bullsh*t started. Guys anointing this kid the second coming before he even plays a down in the NFL. Not to mention the expectations placed on the kid before he is EVEN DRAFTED. Not to mention the fact that even if the Jets do get the #1 pick the kid might not come out. Here is an article saying just that and still guys are saying its bullsh*t. Here's an even bigger caveat to chew over. If Hack shows even a little bit of progress I bet Macc doesn't even draft a QB no matter what pick the Jets have. Macc is itching to say I told you so when it comes to picking Hack that he will NOT draft a QB unless Hack is total garbage. That you can take to the bank my sucking for sam friends.

A little bit of progress would mean that he's a viable backup QB.  He's not even that right now.

On 7/5/2017 at 4:02 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

This is why it's smart to intentionally start tanking a season in April.

Whatever dude, you've turncoated hard on this. Dissapointing....I'm very disappointed in you RutgersJetFan. You will recieve no high 5 from Hess when we celebrate. 

10 hours ago, thadude said:

Woody felt like he was an outsider.  No one promised anyone anything.  Post a quote from Woody, this should be interesting.

10 hours ago, jgb said:

As I heard it parcels wouldn't guarantee him top pick so he demurred.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Parcells is friends with Archie.  Archie told Parcells Peyton would come out if Parcells was going to draft him.  Parcells had to rebuild the Jets and wouldn't guarantee Archie that if someone offered up their entire draft that he wouldn't make the deal.  Archie was scared that NO would offer up that kind of deal given Archie still being a star in NO 

19 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

That would have been stupid

That would fall right in line with all the stupid shït this organization has done during the draft for the last 40 years, expect less stupid than 2, two, to, too safety's in a row! Thats a complete joke! 

who cares... after 4 months of football this fall, it's 40-50% likely he isn't even considered the best QB in the draft. Rosen, Allen, Falk, Jackson -- these guys could ascend, even leapfrog Depending on how the season goes.

9 hours ago, adb280z said:

A little bit of progress would mean that he's a viable backup QB.  He's not even that right now.

Yeah no sh*t. The point is Macc will view any progress from Hack as justifying picking him. Therefore he will not be so inclined to draft a QB if he thinks Hack is a viable QB. Which I strongly disagree with until proven otherwise.

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

who cares... after 4 months of football this fall, it's 40-50% likely he isn't even considered the best QB in the draft. Rosen, Allen, Falk, Jackson -- these guys could ascend, even leapfrog Depending on how the season goes.

Darnold is better than those guys

10 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Yeah no sh*t. The point is Macc will view any progress from Hack as justifying picking him. Therefore he will not be so inclined to draft a QB if he thinks Hack is a viable QB. Which I strongly disagree with until proven otherwise.

If we pass on Darnold with the #1 pick because Hack looks decent in 1 game Woody should have the jets taken from him

31 minutes ago, thadude said:

Its not a done deal that he goes 1.  Which is why I guess CBS put out a mock draft where he goes to the Jets.  Who they have picking 3rd and Darnold as 3rd QB on the list behind Allen & Rosen.  Guess thats the reason Darnold is reworking his footwork mechanics.  More than a few think that Allen may have the biggest upside.

12 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

He can't be that dumb/stubborn.

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Its not a done deal that he goes 1.  Which is why I guess CBS put out a mock draft where he goes to the Jets.  Who they have picking 3rd and Darnold as 3rd QB on the list behind Allen & Rosen.  Guess thats the reason Darnold is reworking his footwork mechanics.  More than a few think that Allen may have the biggest upside.

Darnold is in the same boat as Luck and Winston were.  Everyone knew they were the best and they were taken one overall

Jets’ supposed savior Sam Darnold reportedly contemplating staying at USC for two more years 

Looks like Jets’ fans grand plans to “Suck For Sam” may be on hold.

USC quarterback Sam Darnold is mulling returning to school rather than entering the 2018 NFL Draft, according to NFL.com, which could deliver a crushing blow to a Gang Green team desperate for a franchise quarterback.

Though Darnold is widely projected as the No. 1 pick in the 2018 draft, NFL.com’s Daniel Jeremiah reports “several sources close to Darnold tell me they wouldn’t be surprised if Darnold played two more seasons at USC.”

JAN. 2, 2017, FILE PHOTO

Sam Darnold is the projected number one pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

(JAE C. HONG/AP)

Darnold, a redshirt sophomore, is eligible to enter the draft after the coming 2017 season. He also has three more years of eligibility and can wait until 2020 to enter the draft.

Jets hire Matt Bazirgan as new college scouting director: sources

The possibility of not even having the option to draft Darnold would be a cruel twist for a Jets team that has yearned for a franchise quarterback since the days of Joe Namath. It would also be brutally ironic as the Jets seem poised to secure a top pick in the upcoming draft after dumping several high-priced veterans this offseason (David Harris, Eric Decker, etc.)

A JAN. 3, 2016 FILE PHOTO

The Jets are in desperate need of a franchise quarterback.

(BILL WIPPERT/AP)

As the potential top overall selection, Darnold — who threw for 3,086 yards, 31 touchdowns and just nine interceptions as a redshirt freshman last season while leading USC to a 9-1 record, including a thrilling win over Penn State in the Rose Bowl — would be passing up millions if he elected to stay in school.

Defensive lineman Myles Garrett, the first pick in this year’s draft, recently signed a four-year, $30.4 million deal with the Browns, including a $20.25 million signing bonus.

Sam Darnold.

Sam Darnold.

(HARRY HOW/GETTY IMAGES)

Not only do most high-level prospects leave school early, they take extra precautions to avoid injury as well — something Darnold will not be doing if he opts to play two more seasons.

Jets should mark calendar for loser-take-all showdown vs. Browns

Recent first-rounders such as Leonard Fournette and Christian McCaffrey have skipped their teams’ respective bowl games in order to preserve their health prior to the draft.

Will Darnold zig while the rest of his peers zag and stay in school? Probably not. But with the Jets’ string of bad luck, anything is possible. 

9 hours ago, thadude said:

You think so.

All things even off the field - Rosen is a better talent that Darnold. Does Darnold have that "winner's moxy"...? cause that could be the trump card. Too early to tell. 

Archived