Sam Darnold not a lock to enter draft

JOJOTOWNSELL

6 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Jets’ supposed savior Sam Darnold reportedly contemplating staying at USC for two more years 

Looks like Jets’ fans grand plans to “Suck For Sam” may be on hold.

USC quarterback Sam Darnold is mulling returning to school rather than entering the 2018 NFL Draft, according to NFL.com, which could deliver a crushing blow to a Gang Green team desperate for a franchise quarterback.

Though Darnold is widely projected as the No. 1 pick in the 2018 draft, NFL.com’s Daniel Jeremiah reports “several sources close to Darnold tell me they wouldn’t be surprised if Darnold played two more seasons at USC.”

JAN. 2, 2017, FILE PHOTO

Sam Darnold is the projected number one pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

(JAE C. HONG/AP)

Darnold, a redshirt sophomore, is eligible to enter the draft after the coming 2017 season. He also has three more years of eligibility and can wait until 2020 to enter the draft.

Jets hire Matt Bazirgan as new college scouting director: sources

The possibility of not even having the option to draft Darnold would be a cruel twist for a Jets team that has yearned for a franchise quarterback since the days of Joe Namath. It would also be brutally ironic as the Jets seem poised to secure a top pick in the upcoming draft after dumping several high-priced veterans this offseason (David Harris, Eric Decker, etc.)

A JAN. 3, 2016 FILE PHOTO

The Jets are in desperate need of a franchise quarterback.

(BILL WIPPERT/AP)

As the potential top overall selection, Darnold — who threw for 3,086 yards, 31 touchdowns and just nine interceptions as a redshirt freshman last season while leading USC to a 9-1 record, including a thrilling win over Penn State in the Rose Bowl — would be passing up millions if he elected to stay in school.

Defensive lineman Myles Garrett, the first pick in this year’s draft, recently signed a four-year, $30.4 million deal with the Browns, including a $20.25 million signing bonus.

Sam Darnold.

Sam Darnold.

(HARRY HOW/GETTY IMAGES)

Not only do most high-level prospects leave school early, they take extra precautions to avoid injury as well — something Darnold will not be doing if he opts to play two more seasons.

Jets should mark calendar for loser-take-all showdown vs. Browns

Recent first-rounders such as Leonard Fournette and Christian McCaffrey have skipped their teams’ respective bowl games in order to preserve their health prior to the draft.

Will Darnold zig while the rest of his peers zag and stay in school? Probably not. But with the Jets’ string of bad luck, anything is possible. 

ROFL

We really need to clean house 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, thadude said:

Darnold is in the same boat as Luck and Winston were.  Everyone knew they were the best and they were taken one overall

No he isn't. He played 9 games.  

Luck and Jameis accomplished much more at their schools.  

Jameis and Luck weren't mocked as 3rd QB drafted by anyone

I think my favorite part of Mike Maccagnan's Cavalcade of Whimsy is that even if everything breaks exactly our way, our reward is choosing between a guy who started less than 30 games at USC, a guy who's basically Mountain West Hackenberg, and a guy who had a hot tub installed in his dorm room.

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No he isn't. He played 9 games.  

Luck and Jameis accomplished much more at their schools.  

Jameis and Luck weren't mocked as 3rd QB drafted by anyone

Ironic you say that when the #2 pick overall was just used on a guy coming out of college with 11 starts

6 minutes ago, thadude said:

Ironic you say that when the #2 pick overall was just used on a guy coming out of college with 11 starts

Which has nothing to do with the fact that CBS had Darnold going as the 3rd QB in '18

Or with trying to compare a guy, as you did, to one QB who had an entire career and in Jameis a QB who won a national championship.  Two QBs who not only played more games, accomplished much more than Darnold.

On 7/9/2017 at 1:37 PM, thadude said:

Darnold is in the same boat as Luck and Winston were.  Everyone knew they were the best and they were taken one overall

No he isn't.  Those were guys who everyone predicted would be 1st overall picks their senior years of high school.  If you care and want that pedigree on your drafted prospect, then Rosen is your guy.  Darnold, as much as I love him, came out of absolutely nowhere.

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

People emotionally investing in Darnold now are as foolish as foolish can be.  ffs, seriously people.

And they're also actively hoping our team sucks this year so we can get him assuming full heartedly that he will in fact be the number one pick and will pan out. I've failed to see the logic for any of it considering an over achieving team of younger player like the Jets only bodes well for the future.

I'm not against this guy, but it feels ten kinds of silly to focus on drafting one player when the season hasn't even started. 

1 hour ago, Tony MaC said:

I can see taking the risk there, but he was NOT worth the trade up.

See, even at 3, I just don't think it made any sense for the Bears at all.  I have a couple of buddies who are Bears fans and they actually agree.  They gave 18 million to Glennon in FA, John Fox loved him, reportedly wanted no part of a rookie from this class in the first 3 rounds, and the GM went ahead and picked the largest gamble of them all anyway.  That team, even with Trubisky and Glennon, is likely going to suck this year.  They'll probably finish better than us, but they'll be close.  Why panic and trade up for a guy who would be a late 2nd/early 3rd next year? It makes zero sense.  They should have rode out the one year of Glennon, prayed to the high heavens he was worth the money, and taken a gamble this coming year instead if he flopped.  Total panic/desperation draft pick and they were far better off taking Jamal Adams instead.  That's where I had him going in all of my mocks. 

I seriously think this FA period and draft is finally gonna do in Ryan Pace.   It's hysterical that so many people were pissed about him saying no to us.  Pace is no savior.  John Lynch made him look like a total moron with that deal.

9 hours ago, Mogglez said:

See, even at 3, I just don't think it made any sense for the Bears at all.  I have a couple of buddies who are Bears fans and they actually agree.  They gave 18 million to Glennon in FA, John Fox loved him, reportedly wanted no part of a rookie from this class in the first 3 rounds, and the GM went ahead and picked the largest gamble of them all anyway.  That team, even with Trubisky and Glennon, is likely going to suck this year.  They'll probably finish better than us, but they'll be close.  Why panic and trade up for a guy who would be a late 2nd/early 3rd next year? It makes zero sense.  They should have rode out the one year of Glennon, prayed to the high heavens he was worth the money, and taken a gamble this coming year instead if he flopped.  Total panic/desperation draft pick and they were far better off taking Jamal Adams instead.  That's where I had him going in all of my mocks. 

I seriously think this FA period and draft is finally gonna do in Ryan Pace.   It's hysterical that so many people were pissed about him saying no to us.  Pace is no savior.  John Lynch made him look like a total moron with that deal.

Just goes to show you what even the CHANCE of a franchise QB is worth. With all the PI rules, the QB position has been overvalued in today's game IMHO. It's a pass/fail league now. You either have the guy or you don't.

I think there's a case to be made (if one wanted to) that Glennon's deal is basically a 1 year 18 million dollar deal and Mitchell is the future investment. Glennon's contract is structured that Chicago can get out of it after 2017 without much blow back.

The trade up with SF is bonkers tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On July 9, 2017 at 5:53 PM, Paradis said:

You think so.

All things even off the field - Rosen is a better talent that Darnold. Does Darnold have that "winner's moxy"...? cause that could be the trump card. Too early to tell. 

Rosen isn't better than Darnold plus he already has an injury history

On July 10, 2017 at 9:57 PM, Warfish said:

Keep fighting the last war, mate.  Fitz/Geno was last year, and there were no winners.  

You'll catch up eventually.

Don't lose hope maybe Tampa will grow a brain and bench Jameis Winston for Harvardboy

Rosen isn't better than Darnold plus he already has an injury history

Not true.

As a pure passer talent, it's Rosen over Darnold and just about everyone else in the last 10 years. He's on the Andrew Luck level.

Now, decision making on and off the field... some questions there. Maturity this year in both departments will be huge.

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Not true.

As a pure passer talent, it's Rosen over Darnold and just about everyone else in the last 10 years. He's on the Andrew Luck level.

Now, decision making on and off the field... some questions there. Maturity this year in both departments will be huge.

But is he as good as Hack?

Archived