p lynch

kmnj

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2017-07-14 at 10:19 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

I realize. It's still a convenient way of looking at his 3rd year.

I have also thought it convenient to think everything he has done sucks;  makes people look great when we fire him.

Guess we'll know how well he did in a few years when all his picks have played a few years.

7 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

I have also thought it convenient to think everything he has done sucks;  makes people look great when we fire him.

Guess we'll know how well he did in a few years when all his picks have played a few years.

I don't think everything he has done sucks, but clearly the overwhelming majority of things he's done suck. 

I've said multiple times before, if he hits on Hackenberg then I'd forgive most of it. As it stands, his actions this spring suggest even he believes this to be unlikely.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think everything he has done sucks, but clearly the overwhelming majority of things he's done suck. 

I've said multiple times before, if he hits on Hackenberg then I'd forgive most of it. As it stands, his actions this spring suggest even he believes this to be unlikely.

As we have gone back and forth, I disagree with overwhelming majority, but....

I don't think he will hit on Hackenberg.

When we hire these rookie GM's, I really wish Woody would stay out of things, because I think that is half the problem.  We will never know for sure, but my guess is

a) Woody wanted the big splash in free agency three years ago after firing a GM after two years

b. After the 10-6 fiasco and Todd Bowles pronouncing Fitz as the starter before he was on the team, Woody stuck his nose in again.

c.  Now, he seems to be on board with a rebuild, but it looks to be too late as everyone wants Mac gone. 

Honest Question: Do you really think the next GM is going to get a fair chance before he is run out of town too?

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

When we hire these rookie GM's, I really wish Woody would stay out of things, because I think that is half the problem.  We will never know for sure, but my guess is

a) Woody wanted the big splash in free agency three years ago after firing a GM after two years

b. After the 10-6 fiasco and Todd Bowles pronouncing Fitz as the starter before he was on the team, Woody stuck his nose in again.

c.  Now, he seems to be on board with a rebuild, but it looks to be too late as everyone wants Mac gone. 

Honest Question: Do you really think the next GM is going to get a fair chance before he is run out of town too?

You treat your guess as though it was a 50/50 chance (it either was or wasn't what happened) simply because there are onoy 2 options (you're right or you're wrong). 

Meanwhile Maccagnan has stated himself Woody doesn't do this - or anyway, hasn't with him as GM - and lets them do their own thing. He surely runs big decisions past Woody, but that's not unexpected (even if we personally wished he'd behave as a blind/deaf/mute checkbook. 

The only weak hint of a leak this year was Woody pushing rebuild more than Maccagnan, and that was around the time we released Harris (with the idea floated that he was the behind that move). Beyond that? Opening his big see stupid yapper, absentmindedly tampering Revis in the post-Idzik/Rex presser, and a weak endorsement through the press around April last year, telling Fitz he should sign the Jets' offer using "come back home" type wording.

I like very little about him as the Jets' owner, but generally this stuff has been baseless fan conspiracy theory suppositions.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You treat your guess as though it was a 50/50 chance (it either was or wasn't what happened) simply because there are onoy 2 options (you're right or you're wrong). 

Meanwhile Maccagnan has stated himself Woody doesn't do this - or anyway, hasn't with him as GM - and lets them do their own thing. He surely runs big decisions past Woody, but that's not unexpected (even if we personally wished he'd behave as a blind/deaf/mute checkbook. 

The only weak hint of a leak this year was Woody pushing rebuild more than Maccagnan, and that was around the time we released Harris (with the idea floated that he was the behind that move). Beyond that? Opening his big see stupid yapper, absentmindedly tampering Revis in the post-Idzik/Rex presser, and a weak endorsement through the press around April last year, telling Fitz he should sign the Jets' offer using "come back home" type wording.

I like very little about him as the Jets' owner, but generally this stuff has been baseless fan conspiracy theory suppositions.

Woody drafted Hackenberg and Devin Smith.  I know cuz Canadasteve said so

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That's huge of you.  Not surprising though that you add in another line to make it convient for you to keep complaining about Hack. 

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well, if Maccagnan, or Tannenbaum don't say that Woody told them to do something, or not to do something, then, CLEARLY, Woody must not be meddling at all. Because in the NFL, when a GM throws their owner or former owner under the bus, they always get another job, easily........

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

That's huge of you.  Not surprising though that you add in another line to make it convient for you to keep complaining about Hack. 

Hardly.

I'm saying that, as a fan, I'd overlook so many stupid things if he hit on this one. The other things wouldn't be any less stupid, but they'd b more forgivable. 

In the absence of finding a good franchise QB, why should any Jets fan overlook such the balance of his idiocy? 

3 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Well, if Maccagnan, or Tannenbaum don't say that Woody told them to do something, or not to do something, then, CLEARLY, Woody must not be meddling at all. Because in the NFL, when a GM throws their owner or former owner under the bus, they always get another job, easily........

Yes, it would have been very difficult of him to keep the finger squarely off himself alone by saying, "Y'know, it wasn't any one person's idea over the objection of everyone else. We thought he filled a couple of holes at the time. It's in the past, and obvously it wasn't a move that worked out for us."

No, you're probably right. The only way of getting around that question was to unequivocally and dishonestly say, "It was me. It was all me. It was my idea from the get-go, and I had to talk other people into this bad idea." Because Tannenbaum had never been in front of a microphone before, therefore he froze and that was the best bull**** answer he could come up with.

:blink:

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yes, it would have been very difficult of him to keep the finger squarely off himself alone by saying, "Y'know, it wasn't any one person's idea over the objection of everyone else. We thought he filled a couple of holes at the time. It's in the past, and obvously it wasn't a move that worked out for us."

No, you're probably right. The only way of getting around that question was to unequivocally and dishonestly say, "It was me. It was all me. It was my idea from the get-go, and I had to talk other people into this bad idea." Because Tannenbaum had never been in front of a microphone before, therefore he froze and that was the best bull**** answer he could come up with.

:blink:

Never let logic get in the way of a good agenda....

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah, I'm sure Mac would openly say to the media that he was a puppet.   I'm sure has never had a meeting with Mac and said "Make 'x' or 'y' happen. 

Again, we are not going to agree on Mac's assessment.  We never have.  I think things have been okay, and am waiting to see how all these guys pan out.  My biggest beef with him was how he treated rounds 1 and 2 in the second year.  Perhaps if the Fitz fiasco doesn't happen, he picks Lynch.  Who knows?  But personally, I wanted the Jets to take a chance on Lynch in the first round, freeing up the second round to draft Max Tuerk.  That is how I wanted to see it play out, but it didn't.  But on the whole, I have liked a lot of the players drafted, and believe there has been good value found, especially in later rounds. 

NOTHING will matter if Hackenberg or Petty do not work out.  If he is lucky enough to still be the GM next year, if he misses the QB, he will be gone.  Its that simple.

56 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yeah, I'm sure Mac would openly say to the media that he was a puppet.   I'm sure has never had a meeting with Mac and said "Make 'x' or 'y' happen. 

Again, we are not going to agree on Mac's assessment.  We never have.  I think things have been okay, and am waiting to see how all these guys pan out.  My biggest beef with him was how he treated rounds 1 and 2 in the second year.  Perhaps if the Fitz fiasco doesn't happen, he picks Lynch.  Who knows?  But personally, I wanted the Jets to take a chance on Lynch in the first round, freeing up the second round to draft Max Tuerk.  That is how I wanted to see it play out, but it didn't.  But on the whole, I have liked a lot of the players drafted, and believe there has been good value found, especially in later rounds. 

NOTHING will matter if Hackenberg or Petty do not work out.  If he is lucky enough to still be the GM next year, if he misses the QB, he will be gone.  Its that simple.

He could just say nothing at all. People do that all the time. 

Your logic is also inconsistent (which is to say, you're not using logic; you're using emotion). You want to fully credit Maccagnan with moves you like, and then in the next breath say he's just a puppet for Woody. 

I think Woody's a fool, and his power structure between HC and GM is the acme of stupidity, but there's no evidence he's forcing players onto his GMs. It makes it easier to swallow, as everyone loves to hate a boogeyman, but there's no way that stuff could be kept quiet for this long, and would have leaked out plenty of times by now, about how the GM didn't want a player (or a number of players at that) but he was forced to do it.

It can be two things that are true: Woody can be nobody's genius of an owner and Maccagnan can be just as bad at his own job.

14 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Although I appreciate the message you're circling - MOST don't think Macc's that bad... inside JETS forums he takes heat, but public perception and general media are still moderately neutral towards our GM. Truth is - MOST of us know on some level that he's a competent Manager. What he has not been - is a good evaluator of talent in the draft...

Go ahead, I'll wait while point the success he's had in the draft. (don't bother listing williams or adams. Matt Millen would have hit on those) 

So while I do want to give Macc some time and leash... I'm also running of out patience with his inability to draft, particularly at QB. He should bring in a senior personnel guy or something. We can't afford to whiff in 2018 on a QB. 

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You have no mirrors in your house I take it. Also I presume all your Reynolds Wrap is used making hats.

I think you misunderstood my post, I was saying you only use logic when you post, and NEVER post based on an agenda. Your too sensitive these days.

The Reynolds wrap is fine, I make all my hats out of the clear plastic wrap.

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

Although I appreciate the message you're circling - MOST don't think Macc's that bad... inside JETS forums he takes heat, but public perception and general media are still moderately neutral towards our GM. Truth is - MOST of us know on some level that he's a competent Manager. What he has not been - is a good evaluator of talent in the draft...

Go ahead, I'll wait while point the success he's had in the draft. (don't bother listing williams or adams. Matt Millen would have hit on those) 

So while I do want to give Macc some time and leash... I'm also running of out patience with his inability to draft, particularly at QB. He should bring in a senior personnel guy or something. We can't afford to whiff in 2018 on a QB. 

Because competent GM's try to use Eric Decker as trade bait immediately after announcing they will cut him

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He could just say nothing at all. People do that all the time. 

Your logic is also inconsistent (which is to say, you're not using logic; you're using emotion). You want to fully credit Maccagnan with moves you like, and then in the next breath say he's just a puppet for Woody. 

I think Woody's a fool, and his power structure between HC and GM is the acme of stupidity, but there's no evidence he's forcing players onto his GMs. It makes it easier to swallow, as everyone loves to hate a boogeyman, but there's no way that stuff could be kept quiet for this long, and would have leaked out plenty of times by now, about how the GM didn't want a player (or a number of players at that) but he was forced to do it.

It can be two things that are true: Woody can be nobody's genius of an owner and Maccagnan can be just as bad at his own job.

Okay Sperm......I guess you can't have a nosy owner AND a GM who does make some moves on his own.  It can only be one or the other.

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

Devin Smith, Lorenzo Mauldin, Deon Simon....All good picks at value where they should have been picked.  I don't blame him for drafting Devin Smith, the kid was good.  He just can't stay healthy, and never got to come around.

Jordan Jenkins, Brandon Shell, Charone Peake...all good picks where they were picked in the draft.  Jury is out on Lac Edwards, but a 7th round pick for a punter which we needed...why not.

We can't judge this years crop at all.

And what about the value he has found in the UDFA.  He has done well, in my opinion.

BUT....my concern, which I have never stated I don't think, when we hired him was the history of drafting within the Houston Texans franchise over the QB position.  It seems that after David Carr, the franchise got scared to draft one in case it busted.  I don't think Carr was a bad pick; the decision to never protect him with some OL talent was the problem. 

But then, over a decade, they virtually ignored the position.  I get it; they had Schaub, but they should have been drafting somebody.

If Mac cannot hit on a QB, this debate that keeps getting over played ad-nausea will be for nought. Mac will not be here.  Petty was a good try;  I wanted Petty draft, had him in every one of my Mock drafts because I thought it was a good risk/reward pick in rounds 4 or 5.  Hackenberg I would have taken in about the same rounds as Petty to try, but I wanted Paxton Lynch drafted, especially considering the value at where we could have gotten him. 

Now, IF he is still the GM next year, AND he misses on the QB again, he will be shown the door. 

Lorenzo Mauldin is a plus pick now?  GTFO.  I mean, I like his story and he isn't a total zero, but that pick was not a hit.  I am not going to blow the guy up for picking Smith or Mauldin, but those are not "good picks".  Deon Simon was cut and sat on the practice squad.  That is like saying Idzik had a good draft because of Enunwa.  

Jordan Jenkins seems fine, but Shell and Burris were only part-time starters.  We will find out if they are sh*tty picks or not this year.  Charone Peake is somebody that gets touted here, but has a way to go to reach Dedric Ward status.  It isn't like he was held back by vets - he was beat out by two UDFA.  Those guys were pleasant surprises, but eh.

16 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Devin Smith, Lorenzo Mauldin, Deon Simon....All good picks at value where they should have been picked.  I don't blame him for drafting Devin Smith, the kid was good.  He just can't stay healthy, and never got to come around.

Jordan Jenkins, Brandon Shell, Charone Peake...all good picks where they were picked in the draft.  Jury is out on Lac Edwards, but a 7th round pick for a punter which we needed...why not.

We can't judge this years crop at all.

And what about the value he has found in the UDFA.  He has done well, in my opinion.

BUT....my concern, which I have never stated I don't think, when we hired him was the history of drafting within the Houston Texans franchise over the QB position.  It seems that after David Carr, the franchise got scared to draft one in case it busted.  I don't think Carr was a bad pick; the decision to never protect him with some OL talent was the problem. 

But then, over a decade, they virtually ignored the position.  I get it; they had Schaub, but they should have been drafting somebody.

If Mac cannot hit on a QB, this debate that keeps getting over played ad-nausea will be for nought. Mac will not be here.  Petty was a good try;  I wanted Petty draft, had him in every one of my Mock drafts because I thought it was a good risk/reward pick in rounds 4 or 5.  Hackenberg I would have taken in about the same rounds as Petty to try, but I wanted Paxton Lynch drafted, especially considering the value at where we could have gotten him. 

Now, IF he is still the GM next year, AND he misses on the QB again, he will be shown the door. 

That's fair soap box delivery. 

The roster he's had a hand in building over the last 2 years has eroded however, and we're left with a lot of question marks. I don't want to spin the tires on conversations that haven't been played out. The passing on Lynch for Hackenberg, the selection of Lee, the Devin Smith debacle -- these are going to be narratives until they're replaced with successes. He'll benefit from Adams and Maye have a strong rookie campagn, but Hanson or Stewart has to do something this year for confidence purposes on Offense. We can't afford to have to spent a 1st round pick on every offensive position.  

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

That's fair soap box delivery. 

The roster he's had a hand in building over the last 2 years has eroded however, and we're left with a lot of question marks. I don't want to spin the tires on conversations that haven't been played out. The passing on Lynch for Hackenberg, the selection of Lee, the Devin Smith debacle -- these are going to be narratives until they're replaced with successes. He'll benefit from Adams and Maye have a strong rookie campagn, but Hanson or Stewart has to do something this year for confidence purposes on Offense. We can't afford to have to spent a 1st round pick on every offensive position.  

I agree.  There is some great developmental guys;  However, GM's don't keep jobs by picking guys that in 3-4 years turn into decent-solid players. The defense could be stronger with our new safeties.  But someone has to get to the QB now NOT named Mo Wilkerson, Leonard Williams, and Sheldon Richardson.  And one of the CB's has to take the next jump.  Otherwise, we are spending larger or drafting high on CB next year.

Then, there is that QB issue.......

15 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Lorenzo Mauldin is a plus pick now?  GTFO.  I mean, I like his story and he isn't a total zero, but that pick was not a hit.  I am not going to blow the guy up for picking Smith or Mauldin, but those are not "good picks".  Deon Simon was cut and sat on the practice squad.  That is like saying Idzik had a good draft because of Enunwa.  

Jordan Jenkins seems fine, but Shell and Burris were only part-time starters.  We will find out if they are sh*tty picks or not this year.  Charone Peake is somebody that gets touted here, but has a way to go to reach Dedric Ward status.  It isn't like he was held back by vets - he was beat out by two UDFA.  Those guys were pleasant surprises, but eh.

How about they play those three years first.  You know, like every expert says? 

I also stated that where guys were picked, they were fine.  Why is it when a team is 10-6 everyone is a brilliant pick, but when a team goes 5-11 every player was the worst possible pick, the whole roster sucks, and everyone should be fired?  Perspective is a great thing.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

How about they play those three years first.  You know, like every expert says? 

I also stated that where guys were picked, they were fine.  Why is it when a team is 10-6 everyone is a brilliant pick, but when a team goes 5-11 every player was the worst possible pick, the whole roster sucks, and everyone should be fired?  Perspective is a great thing.

Why is it we are talking like this?

The roster sucks.  Does it not?  

Nobody said they were the worst possible picks, but he has emphasized positions that don't need emphasis and his choices at QB and EDGE have looked pretty poor.  CB is up in the air, but the lack of playing time given Burris does not look good.  If one of the 3 CBs he drafted is a legit starter I will look at him much more kindly.  If we have 3 dimebacks?  No thanks. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why is it we are talking like this?

The roster sucks.  Does it not?  

Nobody said they were the worst possible picks, but he has emphasized positions that don't need emphasis and his choices at QB and EDGE have looked pretty poor.  CB is up in the air, but the lack of playing time given Burris does not look good.  If one of the 3 CBs he drafted is a legit starter I will look at him much more kindly.  If we have 3 dimebacks?  No thanks. 

According to Canadasteve we need another 15 drafts to evaluate Macagnan as a GM

On 7/18/2017 at 5:57 AM, CanadaSteve said:

Okay Sperm......I guess you can't have a nosy owner AND a GM who does make some moves on his own.  It can only be one or the other.

IMHO, fans project their feelings on these picks accordingly without any evidence to support their claims. I like this pick, therefore it was the coach over the GM, I don't like this pick, it's all on the GM, this pick is so bad that the owner must've called it. Been like that around here for a long time, but the smoking gun remains elusive. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

IMHO, fans project their feelings on these picks accordingly without any evidence to support their claims. I like this pick, therefore it was the coach over the GM, I don't like this pick, it's all on the GM, this pick is so bad that the owner must've called it. Been like that around here for a long time, but the smoking gun remains elusive. 

No greater evidence of that when the vast majority of fans were thrilled for Mangini to be sent packing when he was, to there later being a ridiculous  narrative of him being an amazing GM-in-hiding, which just so happen to coincide with the moment folks got sick and tired of Tanny and/or Rex.

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

No greater evidence of that when the vast majority of fans were thrilled for Mangini to be sent packing when he was, to there later being a ridiculous  narrative of him being an amazing GM-in-hiding, which just so happen to coincide with the moment folks got sick and tired of Tanny and/or Rex.

Yes, the Church of Mangini is one of the more bizarre aspects of this site. Dude can't get a job as a defensive control assistant, but he's allegedly a super executive in waiting. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

Yes, the Church of Mangini is one of the more bizarre aspects of this site. Dude can't get a job as a defensive control assistant, but he's allegedly a super executive in waiting. 

I think the evidence is that Tannenbaum's drafts were good when Mangini was here and they sucked when Mangini was no longer here. I'm no scientist, but I believe there's a correlation between results and the presence of a person in a discrete period wherein those results were evident. 

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the evidence is that Tannenbaum's drafts were good when Mangini was here and they sucked when Mangini was no longer here. I'm no scientist, but I believe there's a correlation between results and the presence of a person in a discrete period wherein those results were evident. 

2008 was one of the worst drafts in team history. They hit on four picks in 2006 (two first rounders) and hit on 2/4 picks in 2007 (their first and second rounders). This was not some genius level drafting. And again, if Mangini has this amazing hidden ability, why does he constantly find himself out of the league? This is the most overstated thing on this site, and it's nonsense. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

2008 was one of the worst drafts in team history. They hit on four picks in 2006 (two first rounders) and hit on 2/4 picks in 2007 (their first and second rounders). This was not some genius level drafting. And again, if Mangini has this amazing hidden ability, why does he constantly find himself out of the league? This is the most overstated thing on this site, and it's nonsense. 

Perhaps Mangini is out of the league because he blew the whistle on the league's favorite franchise and applied a permanent asterisk to twenty years of NFL record keeping. Just a guess there. And you're parsing like a MFer, of course. The rest of Tannenbaum's drafts combined didn't produce four players better than Brick, Mangold, Revis, and Harris. 

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Perhaps Mangini is out of the league because he blew the whistle on the league's favorite franchise and applied a permanent asterisk to twenty years of NFL record keeping. Just a guess there. And you're parsing like a MFer, of course. The rest of Tannenbaum's drafts combined didn't produce four players better than Brick, Mangold, Revis, and Harris. 

Bleh. If he's this talented, he's working. Colin Kaepernick could take a crap on the American flag during the national anthem if he was Tom Brady. He's not, and neither is Mangenius. Thus they're out of work. 

And the 2011 draft was up there with 2006 and 2007, and that's with the 30th overall pick, not #4 or #14. 

The Mangini Myth is one of the great overblown things on this site. The guy was a crappy coach who only showed something when Brett Favre was telling the coaches to F-off for the period of time that his arm remained intact. Then it appropriately fell to crap, and he was appropriately fired. Browns gave him a shot, and he sucked. The 49ers gave him work, then he was gone again. No one has offered him a front office position despite those four players, all taken in the top 50 picks of their respective drafts. Let it go, he's not good. Never was. 

25 minutes ago, slats said:

Bleh. If he's this talented, he's working. Colin Kaepernick could take a crap on the American flag during the national anthem if he was Tom Brady. He's not, and neither is Mangenius. Thus they're out of work. 

And the 2011 draft was up there with 2006 and 2007, and that's with the 30th overall pick, not #4 or #14. 

The Mangini Myth is one of the great overblown things on this site. The guy was a crappy coach who only showed something when Brett Favre was telling the coaches to F-off for the period of time that his arm remained intact. Then it appropriately fell to crap, and he was appropriately fired. Browns gave him a shot, and he sucked. The 49ers gave him work, then he was gone again. No one has offered him a front office position despite those four players, all taken in the top 50 picks of their respective drafts. Let it go, he's not good. Never was. 

Yeah, but if Kaepernick produced the now-burned videos showing the Patriots spying on the Rams practice, him and Goodell would be entombed in a concrete footing underneath one of Steve Wynn's casinos.

Tannenbaum's other, non Mangini top-50 picks: Mark Sanchez, Kyle Wilson, Mo Wilkerson, Quinton Coples, and Stephen Hill.

6 hours ago, thadude said:

According to Canadasteve we need another 15 drafts to evaluate Macagnan as a GM

Guess waiting 3 years to judge a draft equates to needing 15 draft to evaluate a GM.  Does anything you post make sense?  Ever?

51 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, but if Kaepernick produced the now-burned videos showing the Patriots spying on the Rams practice, him and Goodell would be entombed in a concrete footing underneath one of Steve Wynn's casinos.

Tannenbaum's other, non Mangini top-50 picks: Mark Sanchez, Kyle Wilson, Mo Wilkerson, Quinton Coples, and Stephen Hill.

None worse than Vernon Gholston. 

Conspiracy theories are fun and all, but if Mangini had any value to an NFL team, he'd be working for an NFL team. He's not good. 

Archived