p lynch

kmnj

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You like to quote Collision Low Crossers for Rex.  Perhaps you should read some of the stuff on Mangini.  It is obvious that he has no idea how to interact with players as adults and was just trying adapt some of Belichick's insanity.  When I read that sh*t in the borderline TE's book, I knew exactly what he was.  I've played for coaches like that and spent most of my time rolling my eyes and looking at the ground.  

I know this. Revis despised him. No question he was a pain in the ass, but I think it's easier to back off of being a hardass (a la Coughlin) than it is to go the other way. The only guy I ever saw pull that off was Carroll.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I know this. Revis despised him. No question he was a pain in the ass, but I think it's easier to back off of being a hardass (a la Coughlin) than it is to go the other way. The only guy I ever saw pull that off was Carroll.

It isn't being a hardass.  It is being an idiot.  Rules to be a hardass (even stupidity like Coughlin fining guys for not being 5 minutes early) are understandable, this every DB must know every RB's birthday sh*t is for the birds.  Even the guys that are idiots aren't that dumb. 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

It isn't being a hardass.  It is being an idiot.  Rules to be a hardass (even stupidity like Coughlin fining guys for not being 5 minutes early) are understandable, this every DB must know every RB's birthday sh*t is for the birds.  Even the guys that are idiots aren't that dumb. 

I'm a fan of the firm hand, Dom.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Alright, here's where I'll meet you on this: there are some extreme internal roadblocks to working for the Jets organization, clearly, as evidenced by the repeated mistakes of each new coach and GM they bring in. There's something poisoning the well, and it may be Woody, or it may be bigger than Woody--who knows? The guy who's going to break through and provide some semblance of order isn't going to be an idiot like Rex or Herm was--it's going to be a smart, cutthroat, savvy dude who can see the future. A Dave Checketts, if you will. I think Mangini was smart. I think Idzik was smart. I thought they both had a vision for the franchise, and I think they were both undercut in their time here and fired too soon. I get that nobody likes either of them, but--as you said--much of that is because they weren't "nice guys who wanted to be here." 

This is where I'm at. Mangini and Idzik both did their share of dumb sh*t, and I don't really regret either one being gone, but they're unique among Jets coaches/GMs in that they both approached the job like an adult. If you asked Bradway or Tannenbaum or Maccagnan--or, for that matter, Herm or Rex or Bowles--to define "marginal value," they'd literally burst into flames.

20 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is where I'm at. Mangini and Idzik both did their share of dumb sh*t, and I don't really regret either one being gone, but they're unique among Jets coaches/GMs in that they both approached the job like an adult. If you asked Bradway or Tannenbaum or Maccagnan--or, for that matter, Herm or Rex or Bowles--to define "marginal value," they'd literally burst into flames.

I dunno man, Mangini handled Kendall like David Miscavige. And in hindsight narcing out Belichick was a bitch move to the billionth degree.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I dunno man, Mangini handled Kendall like David Miscavige. And in hindsight narcing out Belichick was a bitch move to the billionth degree.

No arguments on the Kendall part, but narcing out Belichick was awesome.

46 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I don't know about that. Mangini acted more like what he heard adults supposedly act like, rather than actually behaving like an adult. Not sure what what so adult about Idzik, either. Frankly, if he was a clever man, he should've had the maturity and patience to wait for an opportunity that wasn't doomed to fail from the start. And that press conference was downright frightening. Nail in the coffin type stuff. 

You are many things to complain about with Mac and Bowles (I know you're aware of this), but I don't think not approaching the job like grown-ups really holds water. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

I don't know about that. Mangini acted more like what he heard adults supposedly act like, rather than actually behaving like an adult. Not sure what what so adult about Idzik, either. Frankly, if he was a clever man, he should've had the maturity and patience to wait for an opportunity that wasn't doomed to fail from the start. And that press conference was downright frightening. Nail in the coffin type stuff. 

You are many things to complain about with Mac and Bowles (I know you're aware of this), but I don't think not approaching the job like grown-ups really holds water. 

It's not complicated. Mangini and Idzik each had a plan, however poorly they executed it. The others all got distracted by whatever shiny thing passed into their field of vision.

54 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It's not complicated. Mangini and Idzik each had a plan, however poorly they executed it. The others all got distracted by whatever shiny thing passed into their field of vision.

I had no problem with the theory behind Idzik's plan.  Unfortunately his talent evaluation skills, including the entire Jets scouting staff, couldn't draft their way out of a wet paper bag.  His draft still makes me sick to my stomach.  He had no leadership skills, was a terrible public speaker and was faced with freelance Rex not having to report to him.  A losing situation fitting for a loser of a GM.  Ultimately, I blame Woody.  He created this mess.

11 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Considering that both of their resumes feature "does not work well with others", I'm pretty sure they are in good company on the long list of incompetent Jets.  Mangini had personal problems with his own players and Idzik was incapable of making deals with any NFL team (or any player not signing for his wife's sake, for that matter).  Neither are the worst the Jets have had to deal with, but pretty much the only thing they've got going in their favor was they were the ones you least frequently wanted to punch in the face while they were talking, but that's really just because they both hardly ever spoke, and never said anything when they did.

12 hours ago, dbatesman said:

What was Idzik's plan? He took an awful job with an awful HC forced on him, cut all the dead weight that was setup for him, and drafted poorly and ignored the QB position. Not exactly seeing the plan he had. Please help me understand. 

19 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

What was Idzik's plan? He took an awful job with an awful HC forced on him, cut all the dead weight that was setup for him, and drafted poorly and ignored the QB position. Not exactly seeing the plan he had. Please help me understand. 

The plan was to cut all the veterans, hoard cap space, and build through the draft. It didn't work because all the players he drafted were terrible, because the coach he had foisted upon him was a buffoon, and because he spent a second round pick on a dogsh*t quarterback and then did nothing further to address the position. Sound familiar?

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Success? Please. They were both morons who benefited from an adult setting the table for them. They both went to their next job and absolutely destroyed the teams they were tasked with building themselves and both will be terrible pre-game analysts for the rest of their natural lives. Rex is a pariah. Billick hated him, Harbaugh hated him, and everyone who wears a tie for the Jets and Bills hates him, too. He was at the point of begging owners for interviews three years ago. Nobody but a few Jets fans think Rex is a "winner." They think he's a back-biting loudmouth clownshoe A-hole who got three GMs fired in the span of five years.

This post is exactly what I"m talking about.  Nobody set a table for anyone in Jets land.  This entire organization is a joke from the top to the bottom, always has been.  Not a single coach in the history of the Jets inherited anything worthy of giving a nod to the predecessor for leaving the table full.  That's silly stupidity made up by Jets fans with an agenda and nothing to talk about on a Jets message board.  

The bottom line is, Herm made the playoffs 3 out of 5 years.  Rex won more playoff games than any other Head Coach in the history of the franchise and had the Jets on the verge of a Super Bowl twice.   You can laugh it off and diminish those accomplishments all you want but when your favorite team is the New York Jets, not sh*tting yourself on National TV is considered a win.  So yes, they were both successful considering the fact the bar is set so low around these parts.  That's why fans liked them and that's what most fans remember. They did stuff other Jets coaches didnt do.  

If you were a fan of winner, cool.  Pointing and laughing at those bozo's is warranted.  When you're a Jets fan?  You'll be lucky to find 2 coaches who have a fraction of their success for the rest of your life as a Jets fan until something is systematically torn apart ie: Woody sells the team.  Look at the mess their in now?  Everyone is different and appear to be adults but yet they all still suck.  

The rest of your post is completely irrelevant. Parcells, Mangini, Herm, Rex - were all failures at their next stop.  They're all equally as sh*tty as the next, no matter how hard you close your eyes and dream it's something different, those are the facts. 

16 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You like to quote Collision Low Crossers for Rex.  Perhaps you should read some of the stuff on Mangini.  It is obvious that he has no idea how to interact with players as adults and was just trying adapt some of Belichick's insanity.  When I read that sh*t in the borderline TE's book, I knew exactly what he was.  I've played for coaches like that and spent most of my time rolling my eyes and looking at the ground.  

Revis - "Schiano was worse than Mangini". 

12 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Meh.  Mangini was Head Coach when Brett Farve was traded for and chose Adriene Clark vs Pete Kendall.  He had zero plan.  Idzik?  Please.  Making obvious cuts is not a plan. That's like giving Mac credit for what he did this offseason (granted most them were his own mistakes).

Nobody that has ever entered the building in Jets land with a plan except for maybe Bill Parcells but unfortunately, that plan had about a 2 minute window to work before he got distracted by the next shiny object.  

They were all a bunch of morons led by a moron.  It's really that simple and I'll never understand why Jets fans try to make it out like there is more to it. 

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

This post is exactly what I"m talking about.  Nobody set a table for anyone in Jets land.  This entire organization is a joke from the top to the bottom, always has been.  Not a single coach in the history of the Jets inherited anything worthy of giving a nod to the predecessor for leaving the table full.  That's silly stupidity made up by Jets fans with an agenda and nothing to talk about on a Jets message board.  

The bottom line is, Herm made the playoffs 3 out of 5 years.  Rex won more playoff games than any other Head Coach in the history of the franchise and had the Jets on the verge of a Super Bowl twice.   You can laugh it off and diminish those accomplishments all you want but when your favorite team is the New York Jets, not sh*tting yourself on National TV is considered a win.  So yes, they were both successful considering the fact the bar is set so low around these parts.  That's why fans liked them and that's what most fans remember. They did stuff other Jets coaches didnt do.  

If you were a fan of winner, cool.  Pointing and laughing at those bozo's is warranted.  When you're a Jets fan?  You'll be lucky to find 2 coaches who have a fraction of their success for the rest of your life as a Jets fan until something is systematically torn apart ie: Woody sells the team.  Look at the mess their in now?  Everyone is different and appear to be adults but yet they all still suck.  

The rest of your post is completely irrelevant. Parcells, Mangini, Herm, Rex - were all failures at their next stop.  They're all equally as sh*tty as the next, no matter how hard you close your eyes and dream it's something different, those are the facts. 

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

Revis - "Schiano was worse than Mangini". 

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

Meh.  Mangini was Head Coach when Brett Farve was traded for and chose Adriene Clark vs Pete Kendall.  He had zero plan.  Idzik?  Please.  Making obvious cuts is not a plan. That's like giving Mac credit for what he did this offseason (granted most them were his own mistakes).

Nobody that has ever entered the building in Jets land with a plan except for maybe Bill Parcells but unfortunately, that plan had about a 2 minute window to work before he got distracted by the next shiny object.  

They were all a bunch of morons led by a moron.  It's really that simple and I'll never understand why Jets fans try to make it out like there is more to it. 

IMG_0633.JPG

27 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The plan was to cut all the veterans, hoard cap space, and build through the draft. It didn't work because all the players he drafted were terrible, because the coach he had foisted upon him was a buffoon, and because he spent a second round pick on a dogsh*t quarterback and then did nothing further to address the position. Sound familiar?

with all due respect, this doesn't sound like much of a plan, or at least not a good one. Having cap space and no QB is not really a plan. Many of you Idzikites have claimed he had a great plan, and dog sh*t exectuition. I'd argue he did not have a plan, or if he did, his plan was dog sh*t, and his execution was also dog sh*t.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

IMG_0633.JPG

I'm not good at random picture interpreting but nothing I said was wrong or perplexing.  The 4 men of mention, were all equally as bad as the next for various different reasons. Discussing the varying levels of bad and creating fake scapegoats for the ones you want to excuse is bizarre and I guess fun for some people.  When the reality is, it's merely just a who's fart smells worse contest. 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm not good at random picture interpreting but nothing I said was wrong or perplexing.  The 4 men of mention, were all equally as bad as the next for various different reasons. Discussing the varying levels of bad and creating fake scapegoats for the ones you want to excuse is bizarre and I guess fun for some people.  When the reality is, it's merely just a who's fart smells worse contest. 

I disagree with your assertion that all non-Super Bowl winning coaches are the same, and I disagree that the work of Parcells and Mangini had no bearing on the relative success enjoyed by Herm and Rex. I'd also like you to weigh in on the greatness of Despacito.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

well played

I greatly appreciated your perspective earlier but didn't directly address it because it would open a Pandora's box where I'd have to sit down and do research and make a spreadsheet. I don't know how you're always so prepared for these topics, but I respect the Hell out of it.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I disagree with your assertion that all non-Super Bowl winning coaches are the same, and I disagree that the work of Parcells and Mangini had no bearing on the relative success enjoyed by Herm and Rex. I'd also like you to weigh in on the greatness of Despacito.

Never said the first part but you're completely wrong on the 2nd and that's cool.  My points werent actually made to convince you otherwise, we all know that wont happen but it was more so to say, this is stupid.  A lot of words to say that but that was the point.  All these dudes sucked.  Comparing their suckiness is pointless. 

Despacito is a pure work of art.  I was in Mexico last week scoring some epic surf and this song was playing everywhere I went.  Its impossible not to dance to that song.  Impossible.  Especliamente cuando muy borracho...te hace querer bailar.  By the time the trip was over, I was busting out freestyles in espanol over that beat.  The loc dogs loved it.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

They weren't all obvious cuts. People say that in hindsight because they have that benefit. 

If Tannenbaum was left as the GM he said himself that he'd have extended with Revis back then for another $16m/year (since that was the only number Revis was accepting) by pushing still more $$$ off to the future, as though there would never be a day to pay the piper. This would have pushed Revis's cap numbers into the $19m/yr range on an extension, at a time when the limit was much lower. That in a nutshell, he wouldn't have made every hindsight-"obvious" cut, and the above is an example of how he'd have instead expanded and doubled-down. There's no evidence he'd have made the "obvious" move to draft Derek Carr (never mind to draft him over the next 2 QBs that were actually taken) over his handpicked QB, and therefore as likely as not he'd have continued with Sanchez at $14m/yr or whatever it was.

There's every likelihood he may have (again) renegotiated - instead of outright cut - players like Bart Scott or Pouha to clear nearly the same space as cutting them for the upcoming season. Maybe he'd have let Pouha go, but we don't actually know, and Tannenbaum was never one to do any 1 yr mulligan/reset year to clear out everyone expensive.

Other than Tebow, what other "obvious" cuts were there, where it's a slam dunk Tannenbaum or everyone else would have done the same?

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I greatly appreciated your perspective earlier but didn't directly address it because it would open a Pandora's box where I'd have to sit down and do research and make a spreadsheet. I don't know how you're always so prepared for these topics, but I respect the Hell out of it.

Anything I can't remember, I use the googles. Also I type fast. 

I liked Mangini fine when he first came aboard, since I was so euphoric after letting go of Herm (even if Bradway/Woody did allow the team to get absurdly shafted when another team openly/blatantly tampered with their active HC). Also it was an easy buy-in with all the Belichick-protige narratives getting pushed, and this is before we realized all such protiges fell on their faces after leaving King Rat (I do love that nickname). 

What ultimately bugged me - in addition to the stuff I mentioned - is for all his discipline, the teams just seemed soft. In his first and best season ever, we were a ****ty 4th quarter team, and no lead ever felt safe enough (save the brief stint with a 100% Kris Jenkins). For all his handpicked edge rushers, we didn't sack the QB.

He also proved so inflexible the obvious question is whether he had the capacity to coach anything other than his one comfort zone. It had to be his rigid, 3-4 defense even if it meant sticking freaking DRob at NT for 2 seasons. Robertson was a bad pick, but that move negated any ability he did have. Really he wasn't unlike Herm in this regard, though most credit him with being a good deal smarter. He probably is, but it sure didn't show as a coach.

And having the team despising you for being an humorless, unconscionable ballbreaker is only acceptable if the team's winning superbowls in between the down seasons, like Coughlin, or obviously playing noticeably above the roster's on-paper talent level, like Harbaugh or Parcells. It's a theme he continued into Cleveland. The first 2 things I remembered from his move over there was to have them paint over a mural of Jim Brown and snub/ignore Shaun Rogers the first couple of times he saw him. He was just a dick.

On 7/19/2017 at 8:35 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

+1

What's worse is it's not one of those times we drafted bad players but you look back and there was no one else good anyway. Not by a long shot, starting with St. Louis offering us Matt Ryan on a silver platter. That would have erased picking up Favre, saved Favre's $13m salary and a 3rd rounder in '09, and would have erased using that '09 1st plus our '09 2nd for Sanchez and his $10m/yr.

Non-cherry pick re-draft is trade up for Ryan, draft Jordy Nelson at our original pick instead of trading up for Keller. Then cherry-pick a little by moving those two 4th rounders to move up for Cliff Avril if we wanted an edge rusher that badly. #102 and #113 easily gets to that spot, since Detroit traded up there for less, moving #111 and the following year's 4th rounder. There was even some good talent late (Garcon being the best by far, but also Rubin, Hillis, Stevie Johnson, and Forsett) or they could have just traded those picks away.

I can't really get on them for trading for Kris Jenkins, since he changed the whole defense overnight. Does hurt that those picks could have been Jamal Charles and Gary Barnidge (or Carl Nicks if they wanted to go back to the OL again).

Could have been one of the franchise's best ever drafts, if the Mangini-Tannenbaum team was so clairvoyant in team-building, instead of ending up as one of its worst.

Sounds good on paper but if we had drafted Matt Ryan and he could have become Matt Ryan playing his home games in the Meadowlands weather, which was the knock on him, we wouldnt have been drafting in the spots we drafted without a QB.  So yeah, we wouldnt have traded up to the 5 spot to get Sanchez, but we wouldnt have been in a position to draft a top 10 pick for all we know

21 hours ago, thadude said:

There goes whatever credibility u might have still had

Yeah, because you are the leading example of credibility.

Since reading comprehension is difficult, let me help.  Devin Smith, Lorenzo Mauldin, and Deon Simon were all good picks WHERE THEY WERE PICKED.  Read that line twice if you need help.

Smith had three devastating injuries.  I know you think that's Mac's fault, but I can't help you with that.

Mauldin played well in year one, and not so well in year two.  Lets see what happens in year 3.

Simon was a 7th round pick....Might want to read that one again as well.  7th ROUND PICK.  He has played pretty good for a 7th round pick, making it a good pick.

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They weren't all obvious cuts. People say that in hindsight because they have that benefit. 

If Tannenbaum was left as the GM he said himself that he'd have extended with Revis back then for another $16m/year (since that was the only number Revis was accepting) by pushing still more $$$ off to the future, as though there would never be a day to pay the piper. This would have pushed Revis's cap numbers into the $19m/yr range on an extension, at a time when the limit was much lower. That in a nutshell, he wouldn't have made every hindsight-"obvious" cut, and the above is an example of how he'd have instead expanded and doubled-down. There's no evidence he'd have made the "obvious" move to draft Derek Carr (never mind to draft him over the next 2 QBs that were actually taken) over his handpicked QB, and therefore as likely as not he'd have continued with Sanchez at $14m/yr or whatever it was.

There's every likelihood he may have (again) renegotiated - instead of outright cut - players like Bart Scott or Pouha to clear nearly the same space as cutting them for the upcoming season. Maybe he'd have let Pouha go, but we don't actually know, and Tannenbaum was never one to do any 1 yr mulligan/reset year to clear out everyone expensive.

Other than Tebow, what other "obvious" cuts were there, where it's a slam dunk Tannenbaum or everyone else would have done the same?

I dont know why were using Tannenbaum as the barometer here but whatevs.  I distinctly remember all of us/the media commending him for cleaning house and getting rid of bad contracts/players, etc.  So nothing has changed with the benefit of hindsight.  I honestly dont remember who were cuts or players he just didnt decide to bring back but there were a ton.  Tebow, Scott, Pouha, Moore, Thomas, Schillens, Greene, Hillard, Bell, Edwards, Keller and more I'm sure I'm forgetting.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I dont know why were using Tannenbaum as the barometer here but whatevs.  I distinctly remember all of us/the media commending him for cleaning house and getting rid of bad contracts/players, etc.  So nothing has changed with the benefit of hindsight.  I honestly dont remember who were cuts or players he just didnt decide to bring back but there were a ton.  Tebow, Scott, Pouha, Moore, Thomas, Schillens, Greene, Hillard, Bell, Edwards, Keller and more I'm sure I'm forgetting.

U JUST GOT #SPERMED

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well it was said they were obvious moves.

First off, I don't know how much letting go of Moore was a good move, let alone an obvious one. Keller and Greene weren't cuts; they were FAs the Jets couldn't match. You are purely guessing they'd have outright cut both Scott and Pouha. The rest weren't making enough money to be concerned with getting them off the books.

The obvious cut was Tebow. BFD.

I'm saying that parting ways with all of those players was not so obvious unless the plan was to clean house even if it meant a losing, mulligan first season for a new, incoming GM.

49 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Sounds good on paper but if we had drafted Matt Ryan and he could have become Matt Ryan playing his home games in the Meadowlands weather, which was the knock on him, we wouldnt have been drafting in the spots we drafted without a QB.  So yeah, we wouldnt have traded up to the 5 spot to get Sanchez, but we wouldnt have been in a position to draft a top 10 pick for all we know

For all the risk concern they wanted him and wanted to trade up to get him; it's not some idea plucked from out of the sky. The Meadowlands weather wasn't this big oh-noes for Pennington, Fitzpatrick, or visiting QBs. It's also not nearly as much a limiting factor as just being a bad or inaccurate QB. Also there's a difference between not having an elite arm and having a super-weak arm. Ryan's arm is adequate enough. The number of times the Meadowlands winds would combine with him to cause a loss for us (but would not affect the other team) is so minimal it was a dumb concern. 

The cascade of events that followed was tremendous. It's nothing to yeah-whatever over:

1. Drafting Gholston, who came with an old-CBA rookie contract
  2. Paying Favre $13m
  3. Trading a 3rd round pick for Favre
  4. Trading a 1st rounder for Sanchez
  5. Trading a 2nd rounder for Sanchez
  6. Trading away our starting DE for Sanchez
  7. Trading away Elam - who did have some trade value at the time - for Sanchez
  8. Signing Sanchez to an old-CBA rookie contract
  9. Extending Sanchez
  10. Using a high 2nd round pick to draft Geno
  11. Picking up Fitzpatrick
  12. Re-signing Fitzpatrick
  13. Using a 2nd round pick to draft Hackenberg
  14. Tanking on purpose for the 2nd time in 5 years, so we could hopefully get a high draft pick for a QB next year

Literally none of these things would have happened.

Archived