Is Petty The Guy?

Flushing Roots

I heard a guy on the Kay Show yesterday swear up and down that Petty will be the starter and will turn out to be a great QB.

He went on to say Penn State messed up Hackenberg and McCown is not the answer.

Of course this is only one guy's opinion and I only post this because this guy seemed cock-sure this was going to happen.

I have no idea...

Does anyone strongly share this opinion or vehemently disagree with it?

I'd be curious to know what JN thinks... 

15 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

I heard a guy on the Kay Show yesterday swear up and down that Petty will be the starter and will turn out to be a great QB.

Of course this is only one guy's opinion and I only post this because this guy seemed cock-sure this was going to happen.

I have no idea...

As opposed to any expert on this board that has "cock-sure" opinions?

The fact that pro personnel types can't succeed the majority of the time on player projections, makes me slightly less sure that fans can.

20 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He was awful last year.  I do not see it.

While I personally want Hack to be our guy for several reasons including sticking it in a lot of people's faces here and because he just has that QB skill set. Guy looks like he should be the face of franchise lol... I think if you dig deeper into his game film instead of simply looking up stats you'll see he progressed greatly in reading defense and moving through his progressions. He made good choices a lot of the time even though the TD:INT ration says different. I like Petty and I do think he could be good..but I also think Hack can be great if things break correctly. This is what training camp is for. Petty could even squander his opportunity and I'd still think he has something good to offer...but in that case LOL...it just wouldn't be with the Jets.

50 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

I have no idea...

I'm on the Petty bus!!!

I think this Hack hype is overlooking the fact that Petty was way ahead on the depth chart last season.  He might be the best QB on the roster come September.  Petty is not a lost cause.  I see serviceable backup potential.   Probably has no less talent than Hack.

Wouldn't it be nice if he put it all together? I doubt he does though.

Being 26 he doesn't have much time to prove there's something more to him than just being a gunslinger with a one track mind out in the field. Such is life for an older rookie, if he was Hack's age I might hold out on hope for him a little longer.

8 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Wouldn't it be nice if he put it all together? I doubt he does though.

Being 26 he doesn't have much time to prove there's something more to him than just being a gunslinger with a one track mind out in the field. Such is life for an older rookie, if he was Hack's age I might hold out on hope for him a little longer.

Yep.  This is Petty's last shot.  He either makes a major impact in camp, or his time with the Jets is probably done.  I like Petty, but when your a 4th round draft pick, and the GM just surprised every one and took a 2nd rounder, the deckis kind of stacked against you.

13 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

While I personally want Hack to be our guy for several reasons including sticking it in a lot of people's faces here and because he just has that QB skill set. Guy looks like he should be the face of franchise lol... I think if you dig deeper into his game film instead of simply looking up stats you'll see he progressed greatly in reading defense and moving through his progressions. He made good choices a lot of the time even though the TD:INT ration says different. I like Petty and I do think he could be good..but I also think Hack can be great if things break correctly. This is what training camp is for. Petty could even squander his opportunity and I'd still think he has something good to offer...but in that case LOL...it just wouldn't be with the Jets.

i look on the bright side.  maybe hack/petty will be similar to the todd/robinson or o'brien/ryan pairing in the 80's.

14 hours ago, Flushing Roots said:

I have no idea...

Most likely that guy was Skeptable or rangerous calling in

Petty's future is a journeyman camp arm at best.

I don't have anything against him, hell I even like the guy - but (IMO) he's shown unequivocally that he doesn't posses the ability to master the finer points. Timing. Anticipation. Vision. Poise... Not gonna happen.  

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:30 PM, Patriot Killa said:

This, absolutely this...Ask John Gruden about Hackenberg. I have no idea why he is already dismissed by virtually everyone. I only want to see, show me, and if he sucks, I will forever STFU lol.

Oh, and Petty gets injured when the wind blows and with this OL..

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Petty's future is a journeyman camp arm at best.

I don't have anything against him, hell I even like the guy - but (IMO) he's shown unequivocally that he doesn't posses the ability to master the finer points. Timing. Anticipation. Vision. Poise... Not gonna happen.  

Petty is a very poor man's Testaverde and that's being generous 

This, absolutely this...Ask John Gruden about Hackenberg. I have no idea why he is already dismissed by virtually everyone. I only want to see, show me, and if he sucks, I will forever STFU lol.
Oh, and Petty gets injured when the wind blows and with this OL..

The problem is we trusted people when they said "if Geno sucks we will forever STFU" and well here they are still holding that torch. Therefore anyone who holds optimistic positions must be destroyed completely so they can never come back ;)

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 7/7/2017 at 4:51 PM, Flushing Roots said:

I have no idea...

Even with my green shades on, I can assure you he's not going to be a great QB. At least not here. That is not possible, scientifically speaking. 

Last year Petty was pretty much thrown to the wolves. Gailey's conservative offence wasn't a good fit for him IMO. I thought he showed some strengths, good arm, gutsy in the pocket. Kind of Favre...ish I think he made a big mistake in the play he got injured. Maybe should have called an audible with the 2 D ends coming hard and I think there was a snap count problem with that play. The press is so sold on Hack that he's getting no PR at all. He needs to step up in training camp and preseason. This will probably be his only opportunity going forward as a Jet. I haven't written him off yet. New OC and QB coach with new offence might be just what he needs to excel. 

I think Petty is caught in a numbers game with the Jets and won't get another legit chance to start.  The organization desperately wants Hackenberg to be successful and I think he'll get every shot to prove himself this year, with the McCown waiting in the wings to clean up Hack's mess if necessary.  At worst, McCown starts the season as the starter and Hack gets his shot whenever the brain trust thinks he's ready this year.  Either way, Petty is the odd man out IMO.

On 7/7/2017 at 5:49 PM, RoadFan said:

I think this Hack hype is overlooking the fact that Petty was way ahead on the depth chart last season.  He might be the best QB on the roster come September.  Petty is not a lost cause.  I see serviceable backup potential.   Probably has no less talent than Hack.

Talent  ? I don't think you can argue the fact Hack and Petty have tons of talent they both have what it takes to be great QB's physically, the question is... do they have the brains ?  I think that's what it comes down to with all QB's they need to think in a 2.5 second window, have a feel for the pass rush,  know exactly what just about every player on the field is doing and read the defense, none of which have anything to do with talent.

When I say brains I'm not saying QB's who can't perform these tasks are stupid its just that everyone processes information at a different rate, just so happens when you play the position of QB you don't have much time. Its the single most difficult position to play in all of sports and nothing even comes close. That's why when you see college QB's with great offense's going up against totally over matched opponents its extremely hard to evaluate the QB position. 

25 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I think Petty is caught in a numbers game with the Jets and won't get another legit chance to start.  The organization desperately wants Hackenberg to be successful and I think he'll get every shot to prove himself this year, with the McCown waiting in the wings to clean up Hack's mess if necessary.  At worst, McCown starts the season as the starter and Hack gets his shot whenever the brain trust thinks he's ready this year.  Either way, Petty is the odd man out IMO.

Have to agree. Petty was clearly getting the third string work in the OTAs. Even if he is the best QB, he's not getting the opportunity to show it. I think the only way he gets a start is if Hackenberg gets hurt. 

6 hours ago, slats said:

Have to agree. Petty was clearly getting the third string work in the OTAs. Even if he is the best QB, he's not getting the opportunity to show it. I think the only way he gets a start is if Hackenberg gets hurt. 

According to the reports Petty has looked terrible in the WCO even worse than Hack

Archived