Sign in to follow this  
Flushing Roots

Is Petty The Guy?

On 7/7/2017 at 5:49 PM, RoadFan said:

I think this Hack hype is overlooking the fact that Petty was way ahead on the depth chart last season.  He might be the best QB on the roster come September.  Petty is not a lost cause.  I see serviceable backup potential.   Probably has no less talent than Hack.

Talent  ? I don't think you can argue the fact Hack and Petty have tons of talent they both have what it takes to be great QB's physically, the question is... do they have the brains ?  I think that's what it comes down to with all QB's they need to think in a 2.5 second window, have a feel for the pass rush,  know exactly what just about every player on the field is doing and read the defense, none of which have anything to do with talent.

When I say brains I'm not saying QB's who can't perform these tasks are stupid its just that everyone processes information at a different rate, just so happens when you play the position of QB you don't have much time. Its the single most difficult position to play in all of sports and nothing even comes close. That's why when you see college QB's with great offense's going up against totally over matched opponents its extremely hard to evaluate the QB position. 

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
25 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I think Petty is caught in a numbers game with the Jets and won't get another legit chance to start.  The organization desperately wants Hackenberg to be successful and I think he'll get every shot to prove himself this year, with the McCown waiting in the wings to clean up Hack's mess if necessary.  At worst, McCown starts the season as the starter and Hack gets his shot whenever the brain trust thinks he's ready this year.  Either way, Petty is the odd man out IMO.

Have to agree. Petty was clearly getting the third string work in the OTAs. Even if he is the best QB, he's not getting the opportunity to show it. I think the only way he gets a start is if Hackenberg gets hurt. 

6 hours ago, slats said:

Have to agree. Petty was clearly getting the third string work in the OTAs. Even if he is the best QB, he's not getting the opportunity to show it. I think the only way he gets a start is if Hackenberg gets hurt. 

According to the reports Petty has looked terrible in the WCO even worse than Hack

Petty has sucked since the first day we ever saw him with no improvement between then and now.

But thanks for asking, OP.  

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

"Is Petty the guy?"

"No, obviously not."

Glad we can now move onto more pressing questions.

Like if Hack sucks..oh wait.

Like if it was bad picking Safety back to back...oh wait.

Like how many games it takes this season to get 3 wins...oh wait.

Like if Darnold is the second coming of Jesus? ...oh wait.

Like if Rex Ryan should get another chance here...yes..yes that's the one I'm looking for.🤦🏻‍♂️

It's offseason. Nothing is as good as this.😂

16 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

Now that we know Hackenberg is not the guy, does Petty have a chance (barring the knee injury is not serious)?

uh no

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:41 PM, thadude said:

Petty is a very poor man's Testaverde and that's being generous 

Testaverde was an Achilles injury away from being the NY Jets 2nd greatest all time QB, and would have won us our 2nd SB in 1999 so if Petty is even close to that level, I'll take it.

Yes, 100% absolutely yes Petty could be the guy, given the other two clowns.

Hope he's okay.

3 TDs is 3TDs. Hackenberg is terrible.

1 minute ago, Dcronin said:

Yes, 100% absolutely yes Petty could be the guy, given the other two clowns.

Hope he's okay.

3 TDs is 3TDs. Hackenberg is terrible.

Schefter

Minor grade 1 MCL Sprain, available to play Thursday if necessary.