Top 5, Top 5.

Patriot Killa

On 7/9/2017 at 8:50 AM, Jet Nut said:

But he didnt stay healthy.  His numbers never were close to best ever numbers.  His numbers were Blair Thomas without baseball thrown in to create the story.  Projecting how good he would have been with better health and more time is pointless.  I could do that with Freeman McNeil too.  

Exactly. Numbers factor in as much as people don't want to accept it. Martin was running on ****ed up ankles by the time he was 31 and still had 1,697 yards..the oldest to take the league rushing title. These ARE things people have to consider.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im only old enough for the twilight of many of the talked about greats, Payton, Campbell, Dickerson, etc, so I mostly go off what my pops tells me and he says the best he's ever seen were Sayers, Brown, Simpson, Campbell and Riggins.  

For me and who I've seen and remember.  Barry Sanders and it isn't really close.  Then I would go Faulk, LT, Bo Jackson and AP in no particular order. 

Today?  Bell, Johnson, McCoy, Murray, Gurley.  

Jets? Curtis Martin and Freedman McNeil.  

On 7/8/2017 at 8:06 AM, Jet Nut said:

Any list that doesn't start with Jim Brown at the top is off to a bad stop.  Can't imagine how many yards he would have run for if his OLmen could use their hands like the modern day player. 

He'd be a normal player today. He was huge for the time playing against a slower, weaker defense.

No one picked OJ?

Amazing that OJ has been mising from all of these posts.  He was an electric breakaway runner that was big and shifty.  Number two to Brown and its not even close.  If you think Brown would be a jag today you are nuts or clueless.  

14 hours ago, New York Mick said:

He'd be a normal player today. He was huge for the time playing against a slower, weaker defense.

No one picked OJ?

This is about as wrong as it gets.  You have no clue what Brown was, he would dominate today

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

This is about as wrong as it gets.  You have no clue what Brown was, he would dominate today

+1 in the days of the 3 yds and a cloud of dust NFL teams D had 1 job stop Jim Brown and they couldn't..With today's passing game it helps the running game which would make it even easier for JB..

17 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

+1 in the days of the 3 yds and a cloud of dust NFL teams D had 1 job stop Jim Brown and they couldn't..With today's passing game it helps the running game which would make it even easier for JB..

I would love to know why he thinks Brown would be hurt by faster stronger players.  Brown was bigger than most of today's backs and faster.  And a unbeatable athlete with an attitude to match.  

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I would love to know why he thinks Brown would be hurt by faster stronger players.  Brown was bigger than most of today's backs and faster.  And a unbeatable athlete with an attitude to match.  

Most posters have never seen JB play plus he was a FB and was in the 230+ range so yeah no problem playing today..

4 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Most posters have never seen JB play plus he was a FB and was in the 230+ range so yeah no problem playing today..

Brown dominated his position like no other RB.  it's silly to try to project what a guy in the 50s would do today, the caliber of athlete was very different as were training methods and nutrition.  all that matters is how a player played against his era.

17 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Brown dominated his position like no other RB.  it's silly to try to project what a guy in the 50s would do today, the caliber of athlete was very different as were training methods and nutrition.  all that matters is how a player played against his era.

That never stopped you when you were crapping on Namath..LOL

2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

That never stopped you when you were crapping on Namath..LOL

I compared Joe against his peers, he didn't stack up outside of a couple of seasons.  I never compared him to QBs of this generation.  that's not fair.

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

It's not silly, it's what is fun debating sports on that level.  I don't give a damn about training methods or nutrition. Brown dominates today and would be required to go through the same training methods that his 2000's peers are going through.  Actually what I find silly is the idea that it makes a difference.  First off Brown was a beast of an athlete.  Second he was on a level playing field with his peers.  If he gets knocked for not being as well trained, well neither were his contemporaries and he dominated them like no one else.  

58 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I compared Joe against his peers, he didn't stack up outside of a couple of seasons.  I never compared him to QBs of this generation.  that's not fair.

Who exactly does the great Sanchez stack up against all those years?  Lol

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Brown played in a era where the D wasn't handicapped like they are today, so given the better training methods, nutrition and the rule changes benefiting the O  he would be even better now..:)

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Simple. The players that would be trying to stop Brown wouldn't be his size or smaller until he got into the secondary today.  

250lb DL,  220lbs LBs, 185lb DBs compared to players now. 

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Simple. The players that would be trying to stop Brown wouldn't be his size or smaller until he got into the secondary today.  

250lb DL,  220lbs LBs, 185lb DBs compared to players now. 

And today's players have never faced a guy with the size, speed and talent of Jim Brown.  It's about as lost as you can get of you think the only reason he was good was because he was big.  

Brown did all his damage with teams doing all that was possible to stop him.  Would love to see him on a team with as much leeway give the QB and passing game.  It would b ridiculous 

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And today's players have never faced a guy with the size, speed and talent of Jim Brown.  It's about as lost as you can get of you think the only reason he was good was because he was big.  

Brown did all his damage with teams doing all that was possible to stop him.  Would love to see him on a team with as much leeway give the QB and passing game.  It would b ridiculous 

Brown was great in his era and would be good in any era but he's not the god some people make him out to be.  Watch the films half the people on the field are slow small flat footed white dudes trying to tackle him. Guys today are way bigger and fly around the field. 

There are plenty of players with his size and speed now. 

18 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Brown was great in his era and would be good in any era but he's not the god some people make him out to be.  Watch the films half the people on the field are slow small flat footed white dudes trying to tackle him. Guys today are way bigger and fly around the field. 

There are plenty of players with his size and speed now. 

One can only be judged against his contemporaries. If Jim Brown was in an NFL training, strength and diet regimen today he would also be a different caliber player.

19 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

It's not silly, it's what is fun debating sports on that level.  I don't give a damn about training methods or nutrition. Brown dominates today and would be required to go through the same training methods that his 2000's peers are going through.  Actually what I find silly is the idea that it makes a difference.  First off Brown was a beast of an athlete.  Second he was on a level playing field with his peers.  If he gets knocked for not being as well trained, well neither were his contemporaries and he dominated them like no one else.  

my point wasn't about Brown but about players in general, athletes today are so much better than the past.  bigger, faster, stronger.  we evolve as humans, you can't compare what he did in his era to what others are doing now.  you compare what he did against his era and it's the best in history.

19 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Who exactly does the great Sanchez stack up against all those years?  Lol

put him on the '68 Jets and we win the Super Bowl.  

18 hours ago, Savage69 said:

Brown played in a era where the D wasn't handicapped like they are today, so given the better training methods, nutrition and the rule changes benefiting the O  he would be even better now..:)

maybe but he played against smaller, slower, less athletic players and very different schemes.

Archived