Guys being played out of position

Jet_Engine1

We talk a lot about Sheldon Richardson (who is free to say whatever he wants, whenever he wants lol) being played out of position, but another guy who has been out of position his entire upper level football life is Darron Lee. Who in Gods name thinks he is remotely a good fit for Middle Linebacker? Guy is SMALL for the position, doesn't play with power, is a speed player that can't take on blocks and gets DESTROYED at the POA.

Guy is a smallish, FAST guy...why the heck isn't he being taught to play WIll LB? He fits the profile, and the role fits his strengths. Am I missing something here? Who cares what he played at OSU, he isn't suited to play MLB, particularly at the NFL Level....so why do it? Are they so afraid of being criticized that they just continue to reinforce failure to not have to admit making mistakes? If that's the case, turn out the lights and roll up the turf, because that's a road to constant failure.

Time to adjust this guys role. Take Tiny Linebacker out of the Middle, where he has to engage 320lb Guards/Centers and move him to Weak Side LB where he can actually utilize his natural abilities.

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the best way to run a franchise is to draft guys in the first and second rounds and then wait two years to figure out where to play them. 

Or skip the draft altogether a lot less aggravation for the fans just sign proven free agents or decent free agents that have NFL experience. 

He's a modern day weak side ILB.  That's what he was drafted to be and that's what he'll be.

i'm more concerned about his off field conduct than anything.

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

We talk a lot about Sheldon Richardson (who is free to say whatever he wants, whenever he wants lol) being played out of position, but another guy who has been out of position his entire upper level football life is Darron Lee. Who in Gods name thinks he is remotely a good fit for Middle Linebacker? Guy is SMALL for the position, doesn't play with power, is a speed player that can't take on blocks and gets DESTROYED at the POA.

Guy is a smallish, FAST guy...why the heck isn't he being taught to play WIll LB? He fits the profile, and the role fits his strengths. Am I missing something here? Who cares what he played at OSU, he isn't suited to play MLB, particularly at the NFL Level....so why do it? Are they so afraid of being criticized that they just continue to reinforce failure to not have to admit making mistakes? If that's the case, turn out the lights and roll up the turf, because that's a road to constant failure.

Time to adjust this guys role. Take Tiny Linebacker out of the Middle, where he has to engage 320lb Guards/Centers and move him to Weak Side LB where he can actually utilize his natural abilities.

I agree and we're fortunate to have an LB who has the athleticism to be used in alot of different ways. 

Bigger linebackers are great as inside run stoppers, but the NFL is trending to being much more of a passing league and you have to defend the outside run as well.   David Harris was a prototypical run stopper, but struggles in pass coverage.  I like the flexibility the Jets have with Lee.  Lee can cover RBs, or slot receivers and run sideline to sideline to stop outside runs. 

Also I don't consider him tiny.  Lee is 6'1".  That's taller than Navarro Bowman, Jerrel Freeman and Bobby Wagner and the same height as Brandon Marshall, Danny Trevathan and Deon Buchannon.  From a weight perspective his weight has been between 218-232 Lbs.  Even at 218 he's heavier than Deon Buchannon who Bowles had in the same position in AZ.   At 232 he's about the same weight as Luke Keuchly and within 10 Lbs of most of the other top MLBs, but none of them can match his speed.

So, Rex Ryan was a moron for running a defense that worried too much about stopping the run. At the time, he was "RUNNIN A 1985 DEFENZZZZ!!!"

Mac and Bowles draft a LB with the speed of a safety, and the same people are screaming "TINY LINEBACKAZZZZZ WHO CAN'T DEFEND THA RUNNNNNN!!!!!!!!"

7 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

So, Rex Ryan was a moron for running a defense that worried too much about stopping the run. At the time, he was "RUNNIN A 1985 DEFENZZZZ!!!"

Mac and Bowles draft a LB with the speed of a safety, and the same people are screaming "TINY LINEBACKAZZZZZ WHO CAN'T DEFEND THA RUNNNNNN!!!!!!!!"

this is a hot take

Check this out:

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/ILB

Lee is 6'1, 232 lb's. Taking a look at the teams that work a base 3-4, most of them have at least one of their ILB's at or below Lee's size. I found he was average height (a lot of these guys were either 6'1 or 6'2) and slightly below average in weight, usually no more than 10 pounds lighter than those who were heavier than him (and it was usually closer than that)

The tiny Linebacker bit is an over exaggeration, the league appears to have more guys like Lee at ILB (usually working WILL) than not. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think the best way to run a franchise is to draft guys in the first and second rounds and then wait two years to figure out where to play them. 

I think the genius should play Jamal Adams at QB. Why the heck not, we need a franchise QB and everyone here has written Hackenberg off already so F it...?

3 hours ago, tfine said:

They said Ray Lewis and Jonathan Vilma were too small.....damn those tiny linebackers

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Vilma is better in your memory than he actually was. And spent much of his career hurt....

Ray Lewis was 6'1 245 at the 1996 Combine. And was a dominant College LBer.

4 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Vilma is better in your memory than he actually was. And spent much of his career hurt....

Ray Lewis was 6'1 245 at the 1996 Combine. And was a dominant College LBer.

I think any comparison to Ray Lewis, one of the greatest MLBs of all time, is premature and basically meaningless.

Ray Lewis, BTW, was part of a HOF DEFENSE, not just some guy playing with mediocre talent around him as Darron Lee currently is.

I'd probably wait AT LEAST until his second year to make any global statements about his ability to play:

• he's not playing the same position as he played in college and
  • the Jets may actually employ a secondary in the defense this year.

The only thing I will say is the league is different now. Teams run spread offenses like crazy, especially on third down. You can't be nearly as physical as you used to be when receivers are downfield.

Sure, David Harris over the past 3 years was a great Mike LB, but our pass coverage on RB's and TE's was horrendous if he had to cover them. Lee was supposed to fill the role of the coverage/speed linebacker.

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You are an acquired taste. But I get it now. Sorry for not getting it early on in my posting career. 

5 hours ago, sourceworx said:

The main problem is all these guysblow.  Lee, Mauldin, Jenkins etc

42 minutes ago, thadude said:

The main problem is all these guysblow.  Lee, Mauldin, Jenkins etc

There's nothing wrong with Jenkins. Dude became an instant starter and contributor at the strong side- and he's only going to improve. Lee struggled mightily, Jenkins had a sophomore slump but you're reaching big time with Jordan.

What happened to you? Years and years of clever, witty posts that were generally entertaining. Even after your hiatus you were funny. Now you're just ******* miserable. Has Bowles and Macc really done this to you? Jesus even during the Bollinger days you brought value in your posts. Your trolling of Sooth for your big return to JI was epic. You've become the drunk grumpy old Irish guy at the end of the bar that no one wants to talk to any more because it's such a damn downer. Christ where is BrenJetsFan to at least bring some sunshine to this hellhole???

What happened to you? Years and years of clever, witty posts that were generally entertaining. Even after your hiatus you were funny. Now you're just ******* miserable. Has Bowles and Macc really done this to you? Jesus even during the Bollinger days you brought value in your posts. Your trolling of Sooth for your big return to JI was epic. You've become the drunk grumpy old Irish guy at the end of the bar that no one wants to talk to any more because it's such a damn downer. Christ where is BrenJetsFan to at least bring some sunshine to this hellhole???

He didn't change, the culture around here just got a lot more sensitive

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

Lee was a copy cat of Deone Buchanon and Ryan Shazier, among others.  On paper it was a credible pick.  i think the issue is what type of football he is.

Vilma appeared to have trouble playing one of the ILB positions, and then thrived as a MLB (not WLB) in the Saints system.  

Although it is said that you need 3 years to evaluate a draft, that is to see the lower picks.  For Lee, this is his year.

15 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I don't understand.  David Harris was the MLB.( wasn't playing Wlb) Darron Lee was the Wlb ( playing next to Harris inside) .    The Jets weren't playing Darron Lee out of position.   He was a rookie who was always going to have growing pains.   Tough transition going from college to the pro game. Not to mention takes a lot more than just running fast to be effective in coverage.

Jet fans have to show patience with Lee , in time will be a very good lb for them.( too many fans want instant gratification). 

8 hours ago, Snell41 said:

You ever get stuck sitting next to the wackjob at the bar who thinks "da Jets got a shot this year"? It's the worst sh*t in the ******* world. They say sh*t like, "You know that kid from Tex--whatshisname--Hackerman? He's good. I didn't like that Geno Smith, though" then he gets quiet and says something like "black quarterbacks--ehhhhhhhhh" And then you're just trying to eat your nachos and he wants to reminisce about that time he did some coke with Rich Miano once. And  then the game goes on and he's screaming about how we should have traded a first rounder for Colt McCoy.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You ever get stuck sitting next to the wackjob at the bar who thinks "da Jets got a shot this year"? It's the worst sh*t in the ******* world. They say sh*t like, "You know that kid from Tex--whatshisname--Hackerman? He's good. I didn't like that Geno Smith, though" then he gets quiet and says something like "black quarterbacks--ehhhhhhhhh" And then you're just trying to eat your nachos and he wants to reminisce about that time he did some coke with Rich Miano once. And  then the game goes on and he's screaming about how we should have traded a first rounder for Colt McCoy.

Try sitting next to the guy who thinks he knows more than all the GMs in the world, just because he follows football. A real treat. 

26 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Try sitting next to the guy who thinks he knows more than all the GMs in the world, just because he follows football. A real treat. 

I once had a guy tell me that Vernon Gholston should play safety because he was the fastest guy at "the tryouts." 

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He interferes with me and my nachos I'm cutting the bitch

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I once had a guy tell me that Vernon Gholston should play safety because he was the fastest guy at "the tryouts." 

That person had to have been on here or JI. I swear I've heard that one before as well.

Archived