Any knowledge of NJIT?

Scott Dierking

Hey guys, need some help here. Just curious if any of you have first-hand knowledge of NJIT, or have any children that have attended this school?

Our son is being offered for baseball to the school and we had our first visit today. Have to say that I was pleasantly surprised and the campus was nicer than I thought it would be, given the area. The reputation for academics seems solid.

Anyone have opinions or ideas? Thanks in advance.

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

You do know that the Highlanders became the Yankees, don't you?

Sorry, I don't have much to add, but I know they share a bunch of programs with Rutgers-Newark. I've been gone way too long to have any real knowledge.  Congratulations though.

Yeah, the Highlander thing has given me pause......

We are not accepting the offer yet, as we will be visiting other schools. I actually expected to just cross this one off the list, but it surprised us a little bit.

Thanks, Dom!!!

15 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Hey guys, need some help here. Just curious if any of you have first-hand knowledge of NJIT, or have any children that have attended this school?

Our son is being offered for baseball to the school and we had our first visit today. Have to say that I was pleasantly surprised and the campus was nicer than I thought it would be, given the area. The reputation for academics seems solid.

I know very little personally but I am an adjunct instructor in accounting at a large public university here in NC and am knowledgeable on how this stuff works  and I can tell you that the business school is solid and their CPA program is fully accredited by the AACSBA. That is no small accomplishment.  I am a "snob" when it comes to colleges as I went to Pace University and have always had to explain to people where it is etc.  BOTH my daughters were told.. "Big School, fully accredited, SEC, ACC, basketball and football on TV etc.." or daddy doesnt pay.    

That said..if it were me, id be fine, This is a good school that in my view provides everything a kid will need to be successful.

The only negative I can find is they have a high acceptance rate.  But Id be a proud parent if my kid went there.

Encourage him to major in accounting..he'll make 100K 2 years after graduation.

almost forget...  tell him to make sure he uses condoms. ):D

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I know very little personally but I am an adjunct instructor in accounting at a large public university here in NC and am knowledgeable on how this stuff works  and I can tell you that the business school is solid and their CPA program is fully accredited by the AACSBA. That is no small accomplishment.  I am a "snob" when it comes to colleges as I went to Pace University and have always had to explain to people where it is etc.  BOTH my daughters were told.. "Big School, fully accredited, SEC, ACC, basketball and football on TV etc.." or daddy doesnt pay.    

That said..if it were me, id be fine, This is a good school that in my view provides everything a kid will need to be successful.

The only negative I can find is they have a high acceptance rate.  But Id be a proud parent if my kid went there.

Thanks so much for this input, it means a lot to me. He plans on majoring in Business, of course, in his mind after baseball. But he can't rely on that forever.

Again, greatly appreciate the input.

26 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Thanks so much for this input, it means a lot to me. He plans on majoring in Business, of course, in his mind after baseball. But he can't rely on that forever.

Dude, southpark was committed into an institution for schizophrenia 10 years ago.  Max worked out a deal with the hospital to let him post here as a means of fostering clinical care. The guy has never read a comic book let alone able to comprehend accounting principles and/or software.  

Right now, he's most likely tucking into a bowl of tapioca pudding, which is his favorite.  But watch out if they add raisins.  Then all friggin' hell breaks loose and he needs to be tranquilized.  I pray you did not give him your email address.  If so, lock the fukkin' doors.

19 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Very familiar.  Have worked with that school often.  NJIT doesn't get the rep it truly deserves.  Terrific faculty.  Mostly motivated, driven students compared to many other Northen NJ colleges.  The college town area of Newark is protected by ample security, but obviously, students should stay within the safe-zone.  Academically excellent.  Move this school physically to NYC, and it becomes a much more competitive school for entry.  

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

In all seriousness, the CPA route is not what it used to be. Highly sought after, if he can work in a large form for 2 years he could get into any federal agency like FBI, DEA, NSA as investigative skills are sought after.  Have him take a language and be serious about it as well. 

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Very familiar.  Have worked with that school often.  NJIT doesn't get the rep it truly deserves.  Terrific faculty.  Mostly motivated, driven students compared to many other Northen NJ colleges.  The college town area of Newark is protected by ample security, but obviously, students should stay within the safe-zone.  Academically excellent.  Move this school physically to NYC, and it becomes a much more competitive school for entry.  

Thank you DCat. It was completely off my radar.

Can't comment on the school. Just wanted to point the recruitment angle can impact the decision. I had offers to play hoops and was recruited by about 10 schools.

My parents are super cool, they let me decide.

I made a dumb choice, lol

Looking back I wish I had someone take a more active role and guide me. 

Just to make sure the process is logical and the reasons are sound

On 7/11/2017 at 1:30 PM, Dcat said:

Yep, very solid school in hindsight 

D1 sports, if that matters 

10 hours ago, Larz said:

Can't comment on the school. Just wanted to point the recruitment angle can impact the decision. I had offers to play hoops and was recruited by about 10 schools.

My parents are super cool, they let me decide.

I made a dumb choice, lol

Looking back I wish I had someone take a more active role and guide me. 

Just to make sure the process is logical and the reasons are sound

Where my son plays will ultimately be his decision. All I can do is help guide that process. Pretty heady stuff for a 17 year old, and I can see that the stress level is high. 

Both my parents and my younger brother  went there. Like someone said, the area the school is in is safe and a nicer part of Newark. I don't know a lot about the school because there was no chance I was ever going there, but I do remember my brother -- who graduated top of his class in high school and never really had to work hard academically -- commenting about how demanding the academics were, especially in the engineering program. 

And if I remember correctly, it's also a school were a lot of students go home on the weekends and there's not a lot going on. 

4 hours ago, JoeC36 said:

Both my parents and my younger brother  went there. Like someone said, the area the school is in is safe and a nicer part of Newark. I don't know a lot about the school because there was no chance I was ever going there, but I do remember my brother -- who graduated top of his class in high school and never really had to work hard academically -- commenting about how demanding the academics were, especially in the engineering program. 

And if I remember correctly, it's also a school were a lot of students go home on the weekends and there's not a lot going on. 

Yep, no joke

Just from a general perspective, I think it's important to make sure your son can not only handle the academics, but thrive.  It's better to be a top-notch student at a decent school than be a below average student at an elite school, even if compared to the average person you're brilliant.  As people we always compare ourselves to our peers, and it can be a miserable experience if you always think you're behind everyone else. 

Being the "big fish in a small pond" also ensures that your son will do what he wants to do.  If he wants to be an engineer, he'll be more likely to stick with engineering if he excels at it at the school he attends.  If he doesn't thrive compared to his peers, he might move on to a different academic venture that isn't as fulfilling. 

52 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Just from a general perspective, I think it's important to make sure your son can not only handle the academics, but thrive.  It's better to be a top-notch student at a decent school than be a below average student at an elite school, even if compared to the average person you're brilliant.  As people we always compare ourselves to our peers, and it can be a miserable experience if you always think you're behind everyone else. 

Being the "big fish in a small pond" also ensures that your son will do what he wants to do.  If he wants to be an engineer, he'll be more likely to stick with engineering if he excels at it at the school he attends.  If he doesn't thrive compared to his peers, he might move on to a different academic venture that isn't as fulfilling. 

Good advice. My son will. plan on being a Business major.

One of the great benefits of being a student-athlete, is they will not allow you to fail, unless you really want to. There are all types of guardrails to protect those athletes. 

Our visits will continue and we hope he can make an informed decision and commit by end of August

10 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Where my son plays will ultimately be his decision. All I can do is help guide that process. Pretty heady stuff for a 17 year old, and I can see that the stress level is high. 

Yeah the part I regret is only considering school's that were recruiting me and letting a coach's efforts flatter me. I wound up going to the school where the coach called me probably 10 times and scouted me in person. 

Good luck!

On July 11, 2017 at 1:36 PM, southparkcpa said:

In all seriousness, the CPA route is not what it used to be. Highly sought after, if he can work in a large form for 2 years he could get into any federal agency like FBI, DEA, NSA as investigative skills are sought after.  Have him take a language and be serious about it as well. 

AMEN.

I grew up bilingual and majored in accounting. When I graduated in 2002, there were some intriguing offers and opportunities to become a Gov't agent with some tempting benefits. Analytical skills and critical thinking are not the most common traits in today's working society, so the CPA or CFA route is the best way to go without having to pay law school tuition.

But back on topic,  I do recall my HS assistant DLine coach (Coach Pugh) went to NJIT, he seemed ok. 

On 7/10/2017 at 6:13 PM, Scott Dierking said:

This is an amazing accomplishment all around, great job! You must be so proud.

I don't know much about the baseball program. But the school is top notch. Has an excellent reputation. And I know Newark well, as has been said previously the school itself is safe. Just stay in that area and there will never be a problem. And when you go to visit go to Don Pepe, just don't eat for like two days before hand. Amazing food. :)

Congrats and good luck to your son with the decision. Is he going into his senior year in high school?

On 7/11/2017 at 9:27 AM, southparkcpa said:

So if your daughters get into Harvard or Columbia you won't pay?  They aren't on tv :-)

On 7/10/2017 at 6:13 PM, Scott Dierking said:

Congrats to your son. 

I will take the other side of many posters here and suggest going to the best school for academics. Njit is a good school especially for engineering.  But it's not the highest ranked school.  So I would see if there are other schools better ranked that he can go to.   What are other choices?

the best thing I was able to do was go to Columbia.  Prob didn't deserve to get in and no way I would get in now given standards are much higher.  But it opened so many doors for me and helped me tremendously.  

7 hours ago, batman10023 said:

So if your daughters get into Harvard or Columbia you won't pay?  They aren't on tv :-)

My UNC daughter got into a few prestigious schools.  I told her OK, UNC is 20K , School X is 50K.  Ill pay 40K of the 50K you borrow 10K a year.   When you are done you will have a loan payment of 350 a month for 10 years. Deal?

She said..Dad, I love UNC!   BTW, UNC treated her well. GREAT alumni group, shes got a great job etc.

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You do realize... at some point they stop giving out participation trophies. :D     Here in NC as you know if you can get into UNC you dont go to UNCW or App State for example.  The doors that open for you at big schools last a lifetime. 

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

You do realize... at some point they stop giving out participation trophies. :D     Here in NC as you know if you can get into UNC you dont go to UNCW or App State for example.  The doors that open for you at big schools last a lifetime. 

This comment is filled with elitism that isn't accurate.  I chose UNCW over UNC.  Outstanding undergrad experience, and I'm doing fine professionally.  Not one single class I took was taught by a TA and I was able to get to know my professors a bit.

Now, as for grad school?  Yes, if I were to shoot for a Masters, I'd go to a bigger school. 

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This comment is filled with elitism that isn't accurate.  I chose UNCW over UNC.  Outstanding undergrad experience, and I'm doing fine professionally.  Not one single class I took was taught by a TA and I was able to get to know my professors a bit.

Now, as for grad school?  Yes, if I were to shoot for a Masters, I'd go to a bigger school. 

We are entitled to disagree.  I have several clients who make 7 figures who never went to college. Doesn't justify not going.  I am a fan of UNCW. Terrific accounting department for example.  

17 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

My UNC daughter got into a few prestigious schools.  I told her OK, UNC is 20K , School X is 50K.  Ill pay 40K of the 50K you borrow 10K a year.   When you are done you will have a loan payment of 350 a month for 10 years. Deal?

She said..Dad, I love UNC!   BTW, UNC treated her well. GREAT alumni group, shes got a great job etc.

Unc is a great school.  Probably top five in terms of value for quality of education. 

Still think a top ten school opens up lots of doors. 

I think five years after graduation from Columbia I made almost 500k. And this was over 15 years ago when that was good money.  Only possible because of my school. And a little hard work and lots of luck on my end. 

And it doesn't have to do with the education.  Just the paper you get at the end. 

17 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Agreed. 

Obviously you have to take advantage of the doors as well. 

On July 13, 2017 at 6:18 AM, JoeC36 said:

I took a summer course at Rutgers Newark which is by there and, yes, that campus is dead after 4pm most days and I'm sure it's a suitcase school on the weekends

I think proximity to New York City would help from a social standpoint you are just a short uber ride to Newark Penn  which gives you easy access to Manhtattan

7 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

We are entitled to disagree.  I have several clients who make 7 figures who never went to college. Doesn't justify not going.  I am a fan of UNCW. Terrific accounting department for example.  

Where you go to school doesn't matter it's what degree you get and what type of job you get after you graduate 

14 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Agreed. 

Obviously you have to take advantage of the doors as well. 

well..we do agree.  I wish I was a better HS student. I was unable to get in to any prestigious schools BUT when I worked at PWC in the 80's, I saw how young kids who went to top 25 schools were treated.  They also were "coached" by their parents. I tried to do this for my kids.  I watched my mom get a GED so....  she couldn't coach me much. No regrets.  I make a nice living, I am very happy BUT I wanted my children to have more. My UNC daughter has a job in DC that we both agree was available because she went to UNC.  

13 hours ago, thadude said:

Where you go to school doesn't matter it's what degree you get and what type of job you get after you graduate 

I have seen in many places that they have a "Ivy only" policy etc.   Big investment houses for example love to hire at the Ivy's and other top 10 schools. 

On 7/13/2017 at 10:09 PM, Maxman said:

This is an amazing accomplishment all around, great job! You must be so proud.

I don't know much about the baseball program. But the school is top notch. Has an excellent reputation. And I know Newark well, as has been said previously the school itself is safe. Just stay in that area and there will never be a problem. And when you go to visit go to Don Pepe, just don't eat for like two days before hand. Amazing food. :)

Congrats and good luck to your son with the decision. Is he going into his senior year in high school?

Thank you. He will be a senior in high school this coming year. looking to have him commit to the right college by end of August. He is dead set on a D1.

Archived