Any knowledge of NJIT?

Scott Dierking

15 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Thank you. He will be a senior in high school this coming year. looking to have him commit to the right college by end of August. He is dead set on a D1.

Everyone is dead set on D1. He is just in the .00004% that has D1 set on him apparently lol.  Seriously is an amazing accomplishment and I don't think people realize how tough it is to accomplish what he has, great job.

21 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Thank you. He will be a senior in high school this coming year. looking to have him commit to the right college by end of August. He is dead set on a D1.

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Everyone is dead set on D1. He is just in the .00004% that has D1 set on him apparently lol.  Seriously is an amazing accomplishment and I don't think people realize how tough it is to accomplish what he has, great job.

Here in the south you run across guys that played at the big schools Carolina (UNC), NC State, Georgia, Wake etc as Charlotte is a huge banking center and attracts them after graduation. Example, Jay Bilas was a lawyer here for years.  That said its so kool to see a color photo 8*10 or 12*14 of your lawyer, banker, and yes accountant in a D1 college uniform, on the sideline, court etc hanging on his wall or on his desk.

I play golf with my colleagues son. OL for NC State. He blocked for Glennon and Russel Wilson.  (Trying to get him to ask my daughter out :D)  Great stories he tells.

One of my colleagues played at UNC from 76-80. Rarely saw the court but he gets invited to all the get togethers and has pics  in his office with Jordan, Worthy, etc.  Memories alone are worth a million bucks.  BTW... he is now 6 foot 1 and 230. :D

On 7/15/2017 at 2:07 PM, southparkcpa said:

I have seen in many places that they have a "Ivy only" policy etc.   Big investment houses for example love to hire at the Ivy's and other top 10 schools. 

Yes but the point I made earlier was that if you go to an Ivy with the intent/passion of being a Chemist, realize you are "only" middle of the pack in Chemistry (or below) and switch to accounting just because it's easier....then the world just lost a really good scientist.  No shade intended on accounting, but we really could use good scientists. 

For every story you're talking about with many doors being opened purely by the school you go to, there are TONS of stories that aren't quite as visible where kids end up choosing careers they're not meant for and getting "stuck" all because they chased a dream at an elite school purely because it was elite, not knowing what that would do to their career path. 

Ultimately, it's important that people to be able to do what they're passionate about doing.  It makes the world tick a little better.  Remember, only about 30 % of people are truly happy at their jobs/careers, to the point where, if they won the lottery today, they wouldn't quit their job.  And waxing poetic about Ivy's and UNC's can actually do more harm than good depending on the student.

Granted, people change, and the things they're passionate about at 17 can be very different from what they're passionate about at 27.  But I still think there's merit to the idea that if you can excel at an Ivy, go to an Ivy.  And if you can't, there's nothing wrong with going to a school that's a step below so you can actually get a degree in what you want to do. 

And that is true with the middle tier schools too. 

45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes but the point I made earlier was that if you go to an Ivy with the intent/passion of being a Chemist, realize you are "only" middle of the pack in Chemistry (or below) and switch to accounting just because it's easier....then the world just lost a really good scientist.  No shade intended on accounting, but we really could use good scientists. 

For every story you're talking about with many doors being opened purely by the school you go to, there are TONS of stories that aren't quite as visible where kids end up choosing careers they're not meant for and getting "stuck" all because they chased a dream at an elite school purely because it was elite, not knowing what that would do to their career path. 

Ultimately, it's important that people to be able to do what they're passionate about doing.  It makes the world tick a little better.  Remember, only about 30 % of people are truly happy at their jobs/careers, to the point where, if they won the lottery today, they wouldn't quit their job.  And waxing poetic about Ivy's and UNC's can actually do more harm than good depending on the student.

Granted, people change, and the things they're passionate about at 17 can be very different from what they're passionate about at 27.  But I still think there's merit to the idea that if you can excel at an Ivy, go to an Ivy.  And if you can't, there's nothing wrong with going to a school that's a step below so you can actually get a degree in what you want to do. 

And that is true with the middle tier schools too. 

Thats a lucid and reasonable argument.  Not sure you read any of my posts in the Carolina GM thread BUT... the new GM of the Bills is a UNCW  guy.  I knew him as an intern in 1996.  His sister and I worked together at a CPA firm and I was at her wedding, he interned for us.  He left to take an entry level admin job with the Panthers.  Incredible story!

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Thats a lucid and reasonable argument.  Not sure you read any of my posts in the Carolina GM thread BUT... the new GM of the Bills is a UNCW  guy.  I knew him as an intern in 1996.  His sister and I worked together at a CPA firm and I was at her wedding, he interned for us.  He left to take an entry level admin job with the Panthers.  Incredible story!

Yeah man, we're proud to call him an alum!  UNCW may be a young university but we've had some nice success stories. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived