2000 Ravens D vs 2009 Jets D

Patriot Killa

Just now, NoBowles said:

Completely agree.  It's kind of staggering how you understand this, acknowledging Rex has nothing to do with offense, yet still think he was a good coach.

he still made our D into a really good one, it just wasn't truly great and we won w/ D first.  Rex did a great job most of his time here.  his teams overachieved all but 2 seasons.

15 hours ago, HessStation said:

Kris Jenkins was the most dominant player I've ever seen play per extremely short window. But truth.

Felt like anytime he was on the field, there was a 99% chance he would be tossing someone aside and causing pressure. It was amazing to watch. Really sucks he barely played.

40 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

our 2009 and 2010 Ds were good but vastly overrated,  The 2000 ravens D dominated and led a team to a SB, the 2009 Jets had a 17-6 lead against the greatest choking QB of our time and gave up 30 pts which could have been much more had they not eased up.  

The Ravens lost 4 games in 2000, in the 4 losses the D allowed a TOTAL of 45 points(11.3 PPG) and they didn't blew a single 4th qtr lead to lose a game.

The 2009 Jets lost 7 games, in those 4 losses they allowed 124 pts(17.7 PPG) and blew 3 4th qtr leads.

In the playoffs the 2000 Ravens allowed 16 points in 4 games(4 PPG)

In the playoffs the 2009 Jets allowed 58 pts in 3 games(19.3 PPG) and blew a double digit lead.

Please don't ever compare the 2 defenses again, I don't care what some silly out of context stat shows.  they weren't comparable.

One of your top 5 posts of all time. You are 100% right. One D put teams away, the other choked games away.

8 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Felt like anytime he was on the field, there was a 99% chance he would be tossing someone aside and causing pressure. It was amazing to watch. Really sucks he barely played.

2008 was incredible. He was amazing when healthy at Carolina too, but as a different type of player like a 310 DT. I feel like he's one of those guys who will get lost in history due to injuries but if he'd had stayed healthy could have been considered and all time great maybe best to ever play the position.

10 minutes ago, HessStation said:

2008 was incredible. He was amazing when healthy at Carolina too, but as a different type of player like a 310 DT. I feel like he's one of those guys who will get lost in history due to injuries but if he'd had stayed healthy could have been considered and all time great maybe best to ever play the position.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

our 2009 and 2010 Ds were good but vastly overrated,  The 2000 ravens D dominated and led a team to a SB, the 2009 Jets had a 17-6 lead against the greatest choking QB of our time and gave up 30 pts which could have been much more had they not eased up.  

The Ravens lost 4 games in 2000, in the 4 losses the D allowed a TOTAL of 45 points(11.3 PPG) and they didn't blew a single 4th qtr lead to lose a game.

The 2009 Jets lost 7 games, in those 4 losses they allowed 124 pts(17.7 PPG) and blew 3 4th qtr leads.

In the playoffs the 2009 Jets allowed 58 pts in 3 games(19.3 PPG) and blew a double digit lead.

Please don't ever compare the 2 defenses again, I don't care what some silly out of context stat shows.  they weren't comparable.

The defense only blew the lead after almost every single CB went down.  The Jets backup CBs were matched up against the Colts starting WRs.  Big advantage to the Colts.

I honestly think some people (including Jets fans) don't give that 2009 Jets defense enough credit. I don't think you can give them 2000 Ravens status because they didn't carry a team to a title, but they were pretty close, and their numbers against the pass in a pass happy era were unreal. Revis was unbelievably good.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

You aren't taking into account the difference in eras between 2000 and 2009 -- the game had changed drastically in that window as far as passing numbers and scoring numbers.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

You aren't taking into account the difference in eras between 2000 and 2009 -- the game had changed drastically in that window as far as passing numbers and scoring numbers.

That's true but ultimately it's about coming up big in big spots and stopping the opponent from scoring.  2009 came up short in those areas.  they were very good, just not great.

2 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

The defense only blew the lead after almost every single CB went down.  The Jets backup CBs were matched up against the Colts starting WRs.  Big advantage to the Colts.

not every one, we had the best defensive player in football healthy.  we needed to find a way, we didn't.

20 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

It's not even a contest, 2000 Ravens D was better and it's only rivaled by the 1985 Bears, 2002 Bucs, and the 2013 Seahawks.

2009 Jets D was a great unit, but not legendary like the above ones.  It lacked the supporting cast in the secondary alongside Revis to be truly great.

The 2000 Ravens were very unique because they played mostly base defense, no exotic blitzes.  Their front 4 was just so good that they occupied every blocker and disrupted, leaving the back 7 free to make plays.

I would put the 1986 NY Giants into that conversation as well. But the 85 Bears and 2000 Ravens were the best defenses that I can recall.

Btw, the 2009 Jets have absolutely no business being discussed in this conversation. 

10 hours ago, nyjunc said:

not every one, we had the best defensive player in football healthy.  we needed to find a way, we didn't.

He was one player.  I believe CB #2 and CB #3 (maybe even #4) went down.  Those are two of your three starters.  Manning and the Colts receivers should have taken advantage of that and they did.  They didn't do much before that.

On July 11, 2017 at 5:40 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

That ravens D was all time great.  Our D that year was good.

Theres no comparision.

First quarter of the season when we had a healthy Kris Jenkins a comparison could be made.  He was a monster

2 hours ago, thadude said:

First quarter of the season when we had a healthy Kris Jenkins a comparison could be made.  He was a monster

the first 4 games our D was DOMINANT.  what they did to Houston week 1 was incredible to watch, they then dominated Brady and NE, Ten on a sloppy day and despite losing at NO they did a great job against maybe the best O that season on the road.  Sanchez gave away our chances in that game.  unfortunately they couldn't sustain it.

19 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

The Jets 2009 defense was certainly great.  It was tremendous.  That does not mean that it is as good as the 2000 Ravens or 1985 Bears, but they compare favorably to damn near everyone else.   

no it doesn't compare favorably to near everyone else.  it was a good/very good D overall.  nothing special.

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I would put the 1986 NY Giants into that conversation as well. But the 85 Bears and 2000 Ravens were the best defenses that I can recall.

Btw, the 2009 Jets have absolutely no business being discussed in this conversation. 

a few years ago I took the '85 bears, '00 ravens and '02 bucs and compared them as far as what they allowed in points vs. what their opponents averaged in games against other teams.  TB came out on top, I think Chi was 2 and Bal 3.  all 3 are all time greats, TB '02 gets lost in the shuffle.

Archived