Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AFJF

Fess up...your hits and misses

97 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm sure I've started a similar thread to this in the past, or seen one that somebody else started, but I always think they're pretty cool if people are honest enough.

Who are some players you liked/loved coming out of college who you were right about, and who proved you dead wrong?

A few of mine...

Hits:

JJ Watt, Ben Roethlesberger, Dre' Bly, Leon Washington, Brandin Cooks, Martavis Bryant and even though he's only played one season, I really liked Dak.

Misses:

D-Rob, Justin Blackmon, Mark Barron, Quinton Coples, Michael Myers, Dakota Dozier (might be a solid pro, but I thought he'd win a starting job by year three), Dee Milliner, Jarvis Jones and waiting to join the list...Hack.

Whatcha got JN?

Edited by AFJF

Can't wait for debates trolls list

Shots fired

I'm not a huge college football guy, so I admittedly don't follow every single player.  However I'll often review game videos on the top QB prospects and form an opinion.

Hits: Phillip Rivers, Derek Carr, Joe Flacco, Jay Cutler (sort of)

Miss: Jake Locker (thought he was going to be a stud), RGIII

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS-  I often fall in love with mid-round QBs. LOL:

- I thought Kyle Orton was going to be a steal for someone. While he wasn't bad, he wasn't very good, either.

- I thought Ryan Nassib would be solid. He was garbage.

- Bryce Petty was my favorite QB in the 2015 draft. I was very happy when we took him. Ummm......yeah.

- Mike Glennon was my top QB in 2013, and Hackenberg was last year. We'll find out the truth about both pretty soon.

EDIT: I was a big Kirk Cousins fan.

I'm trying to avoid the obvious guys like Newton or Luck, because we all thought they were going to be good. 

Hits:  

OBJ- I thought he was a stud from the start when people said Mettenberger was the reason behind him

Wilkerson- I thought the biggest reason he dropped was because of playing at Temple, but I really liked the pick

Mike Evans:  A lot of people argued for Manziel as the reason why Evans put up stats, but I loved his profile of size/speed and ability to high point the football

Ryan Shazier:  If we were going defense in that draft, this was the guy I really wanted

Jhonny Manziel:  Hated his game, thought there was no way he would succeed in the league, and here we are

Aamari Cooper:  Although pretty obvious he was good I guess

Marcus Peters:  I thought on the field, he was a top tier talent

David Johnson:  Mentioned in a podcast I listened to pre-draft, checked videos, loved him

Miss:

Justin Hunter-  I loved the potential there and the size/speed match up

Donte Moncrief:  Another guy that I was super high on, and hasn't lived up to expectations

Geno Smith:  I thought he would be much better than he turned out to be

Dee Milliner:  I still think if it wasn't for injuries, he'd be a stud, but just can't stay healthy

Jarvis Landry:  Miss the other way, I thought he was over-rated with slow speed but he has been a stud

De'Anthony Thomas:  I expected him to have the impact that Tyreek Hill had last year

Dorial Green Bechkam:  I thought if he dedicated himself to football, he'd be a stud, unfortunately that hasn't happened.

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu:  I thought he'd be really good, and worth a shot after the injury caused him to drop

I was super bullish on OBJ. Desperately wanted him to fall to the Jets.

I was also convinced Trent Richardson would be a HOFer. Whiffed on that one.

Ryan Leaf - dude looked so good his last season in college - Wash. State played in quite a few national games and I thought he'd be one of the good ones.

Too bad he had 10 cent brain.

2 recent QB's

Hit Dak Prescott 

Swing, and a miss John Manziel

Not a big College FB guy so going a slightly different direction: 

Hit: Brandon Marshall - I thought that was tremendous trade/value at the time and I think he lived up to what we paid for him. 

Miss: Doug Jolley - I really thought he was going to be the answer to our TE issues and the Raiders would rue the day they made that trade. 

Bonus miss: Mike Nugent - thought the kid was the answer to our Kicker woes and would live up to 2nd round pick similar to a Janikowski. 

Hit-Joey Bosa

Miss-Johnny Manziel

Thought that John Huart was actually in competition for the starter in '65

Actually bought in that Lam Jones was going to turn into a smaller Bob Hayes

Really don't pay attention to college ball until just before the draft then I believe all you jamooks that certain Jets are future stars.  

14 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I thought Tom Shane was going to be voice of JetNation radio for years.

When I found out we couldn't curse I threw out my rabbit ears.

My huge misses were Leinart and WR Mike Williams. Both of those whiffs look like they'll pale in comparison to my Matt Waldman-directed Mariota skepticism.

5 hours ago, win4ever said:

I'm trying to avoid the obvious guys like Newton or Luck, because we all thought they were going to be good. 

Hits:  

OBJ- I thought he was a stud from the start when people said Mettenberger was the reason behind him

Wilkerson- I thought the biggest reason he dropped was because of playing at Temple, but I really liked the pick

Mike Evans:  A lot of people argued for Manziel as the reason why Evans put up stats, but I loved his profile of size/speed and ability to high point the football

Ryan Shazier:  If we were going defense in that draft, this was the guy I really wanted

Jhonny Manziel:  Hated his game, thought there was no way he would succeed in the league, and here we are

Aamari Cooper:  Although pretty obvious he was good I guess

Marcus Peters:  I thought on the field, he was a top tier talent

David Johnson:  Mentioned in a podcast I listened to pre-draft, checked videos, loved him

Miss:

Justin Hunter-  I loved the potential there and the size/speed match up

Donte Moncrief:  Another guy that I was super high on, and hasn't lived up to expectations

Geno Smith:  I thought he would be much better than he turned out to be

Dee Milliner:  I still think if it wasn't for injuries, he'd be a stud, but just can't stay healthy

Jarvis Landry:  Miss the other way, I thought he was over-rated with slow speed but he has been a stud

De'Anthony Thomas:  I expected him to have the impact that Tyreek Hill had last year

Dorial Green Bechkam:  I thought if he dedicated himself to football, he'd be a stud, unfortunately that hasn't happened.

Ifo Ekpre-Olomu:  I thought he'd be really good, and worth a shot after the injury caused him to drop

Landry was a hit and miss for me.

I said he'd be better than OBJ

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

When I found out we couldn't curse I threw out my rabbit ears.

LMAO

Hits:  Drew Brees, Geno (had disaster written all over him), Sanchez (thought he was a lesser Leinart), 

Misses:  Brady Quinn, Jake Locker

Landry was a hit and miss for me.
I said he'd be better than OBJ

I was a believer in Landry until he had that horrible 40, then the negative press rolled in and I bought into it even after I think he ran better at his pro day.

What impressed me about OBJ was his ability to keep his speed during cuts, and his insane ability to high point the ball.

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Hits: None

Misses: Dexter Mc Dougal

Sure you had a hit - McDonalds 😏

Good thread. I'm not a draftnik but let's see what I can remember.

Hits: Randy Moss, Sanchez, Geno, Milliner, Brandon Scherff, Carr the Younger, RGIII

Misses: Manziel, Fitz (last year), Kevan Barlow , Gholston (but those muscles!), Ryan Leaf (!!)

Wow, I need to stop. Too humiliating! :rl:

48 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I was a believer in Landry until he had that horrible 40, then the negative press rolled in and I bought into it even after I think he ran better at his pro day.

What impressed me about OBJ was his ability to keep his speed during cuts, and his insane ability to high point the ball.

Landry actually pulled a hammy on that 40

41 minutes ago, jgb said:

Landry actually pulled a hammy on that 40

Yeah, I read that he ran faster during the Pro-day, but I bought into media throwing him down in a loaded draft and got scared of him.  When I was first looking at them, I thought OBJ was better, but Landry wasn't that far behind.  They both ran really good routes and had great hands.  

I remember that draft really well because I was all in on wide receivers.  I think I watched film breakdowns of like 20 receivers, and I never even watched Shaq Evans, he was a total WTF pick for me.  Even Enunwa wasn't on my radar.  I did see some Jalen Saunders though, especially while I was looking at returners.  

6 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Yeah, I read that he ran faster during the Pro-day, but I bought into media throwing him down in a loaded draft and got scared of him.  When I was first looking at them, I thought OBJ was better, but Landry wasn't that far behind.  They both ran really good routes and had great hands.  

I remember that draft really well because I was all in on wide receivers.  I think I watched film breakdowns of like 20 receivers, and I never even watched Shaq Evans, he was a total WTF pick for me.  Even Enunwa wasn't on my radar.  I did see some Jalen Saunders though, especially while I was looking at returners.  

Well you're right about OBJ being better. Landry is a sticky hands possession ace. OBJ is a true game breaker #1. They are both important parts of a fabled WR class that the Jets--as you point out--whiffed on completely.

Hit: Jerrod Mayo, Nick Mangold, Eric Berry 

Miss: Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, Jace Amaro

8 hours ago, BigO said:

Sure you had a hit - McDonalds 😏

Haha. Solid. In the drive through right now.